Warehouse 13 Forums

Syfy (ended 2014)

Official Discussion Thread: Emily Lake (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Oct 2, 2011
    • level: 103
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 10/3/11 episode "Emily Lake" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

2b32006

[2]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 3
    Wow - i need to say it - This was the best Warehouse episode(or even two of them) ever!

Maybe it was to obvious that Jinks works under cover. Maybe the final was't very realistic(if H.G. could create this shield over Myka, Arti and Pete - why didn't she put that field just over the bomb?) - but for sure this season final was spectacular and something you wouldn't expect.

Although i'm not sure if i would like the possible time reversing artifact solution for next season - it would be quite fun to see how they are building Warehouse 14.

One way or another - can't wait for the next season(

blackmage8472

[3]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 15

Love it. Great episode, great cliffhanger, etc. I don't remember if they ever said what McPherson's watch does but the obvious guess is it changes time. I really hope Mrs. Fredric can be saved.

nolefan32

[4]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 11

I thought it was a decent episode overall, but not one of the best. Much of the plotline was too muddled; there was just so much going on, it was hard to keep up with it all. Stuff like the whole Janus coin thing - it was interesting, but I thought it complicated things unnecessarily, why couldn't they have just gotten H.G. in a Regents prison somewhere.

And the ending, with Claudia and the metranome and Artie with the watch, seemed to me to be telling us too much what to expect next season. I also found myself not catching my breath so much this time over the perceived death of Mrs. F, like I did at the end of season 1/beginning of season 2.

And I agree with the above poster about Jinks and the bomb. Jinks working undercover wasn't really a surprise - I'd have been very disappointed if we had the warehouse-agent-goes-evil for a third season in a row (several on here have noted how this would have been a replay of H.G. Wells, but think about it - it was also MacPherson's story, as well). So I'm glad that we didn't go that way, but it did make his undercover work a little obvious. I will say, I didn't expect him to be killed, not until Anthony Michael Hall made the statement about how none of this could be done without him - I knew he was a dead man, then, so the whole scene where they play out the discovery of his body was anticlimactic (would have worked better had they played it like Jinks was dead, but then we find out Pete and Claudia were freaked by something else entirely and Jinks was still alive).

And regarding the bomb, I don't get why H.G. couldn't have put the force field around the bomb itself and thus saved herself and the warehouse along with Pete, Myka and Artie. Granted, that wouldn't have set up the need for MacPherson's pocket watch but it was just one of those plot elements that was way too convienent.

Let me put this into perspective - Warehouse 13 is still better than most everything else on television today (excepting Haven and Mike & Molly, at least in my opinion), and this season has had one or two of the very best episodes from the show. But the season finales are getting gradually worse. H.G. Wells may have been the best villian, but MacPherson had the best season ending, with Wells in second place.

This one left me flat. For the record, though, Mike & Molly was pretty flat, too, so maybe it was just me.

In other news, the board censored me for writing "pocket watch" as one word. Really? That's a dirty word? Wow I am so out of the loop - I thought it was a timekeeping device my grandfather used to carry.

BarryWeen3

[5]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 14

nolefan32 wrote:

In other news, the board censored me for writing "pocket watch" as one word. Really? That's a dirty word? Wow I am so out of the loop - I thought it was a timekeeping device my grandfather used to carry.

Watch your language sir!! That be a fighting word...

kat4543

[6]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 4

I liked the episode, but the first could of been better. It was kind of dumb.I didn't think that they would kill Jinks.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[7]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 13
    Let me begin by first stating that I really love this show from the pilot episode going forward. I am a huge fan. I look forward to seeing every new episode and watch each episode at least two times. Even though I love this show, I like each episode to have quality and I will comment on the quality content of each episode either way goes. That being said...

If you are into scenes with a lot of action regardless of it making sense, you would have loved the Season Finale. However, if you like the scenes with action to make sense and for the scenes to have a good flow from one to the next, then you would be a little bit disappointed. As Nolefan32 stated above, that whole thing with HG Wells and the Janus coin was unnecesarilly complicated. So much so, they gave a flashback of the coin actually being used to try to explain things better to the viewers. Also, why would you put HG Wells in some type of make shift witness protection program knowing that she would be the ultimate target for capture and corruption??? Also, in the last several months, we have been made aware of stolen artifacts, kidnapped Regents, double agents, attempts of breaking into other Warehouses, and etc... Why would the Regents leave HG Wells exposed to the public mind whiped or not knowing that whatever they do to HG Wells can be undone?

Jinks working undercover was something I had previously posted and was no surprise to me. Having him killed was a surprise and a bit anti climactic. If he is to die, why not have him die fighting with Claudia, Pete, and Myka during his rescue attempt? Even worse, Claudia stated that she was saving that Metronome for Jinks. For one thing, I don't see how that is going to bring him back as Jinks is already dead, also, would Jinks want to live like that...his life tied to an artifact forever?

That whole force field thing and HG Wells dying made no sense to me. While Artie and crew are struggling to find a way to save themselves, none of them even noticed one of the greatest minds of her time HG Wells right next to them feverishly working towards some end and independently pulling out electrical wires and opening a junction box and connecting stuff? Why didn't anyone say to HG Wells, "What are you doing?" or "Help us!" Also, you have an entire warehouse full of artifacts, Artie is a walking encyclopedia of what is stored there. You mean to tell me that he couldn't think of any artifact in there that could help them? Not one? I find that a bit difficult to believe. Mrs. Fredericks dying after the Warehouse was destroyed made sense as we all know that she was somehow connected to it. However, her dying and aging rapidly and turning into a bag of bones was something that needed an explanation. When I was watching that scene, I didn't know whether to laugh or to be grossed out. Also, Mrs. Fredericks dies and we still know very little to nothing about her???

I am always catching bloopers in this show but I never post them. However, there was one yesterday that I will post that maybe most people missed. When they discovered Jinks body, Claudia collapsed down to the floor in grief. Jinks was slaunched back in the chair, head tilted, EYES OPEN, and apparently dead. The show goes to commercial. When we come back from commercial, Claudia is in the same position basically as is Jinks but his eyes are now CLOSED. Hmmmmm, did I miss something there? I do look forward to next season. I believe there will be a lot of changes in plot lines, relationships, and cast members. I do hope however, that the writers put more thought into what they write as the quality of the writing of this show is what caught my interest to begin with.

kanniballl

[8]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 18

nolefan32 wrote:

And regarding the bomb, I don't get why H.G. couldn't have put the force field around the bomb itself and thus saved herself and the warehouse along with Pete, Myka and Artie. Granted, that wouldn't have set up the need for MacPherson's pocket watch but it was just one of those plot elements that was way too convienent.

There's a difference between "a structure that can survive an external explosion" and "a structure that can contain said explosion without cracking." A bunker might survive a large explosion outside, but put that same ordinance inside and it might not contain it.

HG said she was able to transfer a small portion of the shield... chances are she did the math and figured it wouldn't be enough to contain a small nuke.

A throw away line would've been nice though, like I was able to transfer a small sliver of power to that spot on the floor. Not enough to contain the explosion itself but it should be enough to protect you.

nolefan32

[9]Oct 4, 2011
    MostCapableOne - You and I seem to be very much of like mind on this episode, as I had a lot of the same thoughts you did, even though I might not have voiced them. And like you, I love this show, every episode right from the beginning, and even though I am a little worried that the writing is showing a slow decline in quality (with the emphasis very much on "slow"), I will still be back for the Christmas episode and season 4.

I did think the whole thing with H.G. Wells, *ahem* Emily Lake being out there unprotected, especially in the midst of everything going on, was very unrealistic and rather short-sighted. I guess the thought could have been that her body wasn't the threat, her mind was - and that was tightly under wraps in the Janus coin - so they felt they had no reason to keep the body locked up. But it certainly would have been easy enough to include a line like that between Jane and the warehouse crew explaining that.

And that's a good point about Claudia and the metranome - it was only established that the metranome keeps someone alive, which isn't the same as bringing them back from the dead, so there's no reason Claudia should be assuming it will help Jinks, and it is likely he'd be pissed to have his life artificially controlled by an artifact, especially since he's Buddhist.

And the Mrs. F issue - that is something the writers better be planning to explain next season, how she died the way she did (in addition to the other questions about her). MacPherson made a comment in the last episode of season one about those crystals must be what is keeping her so young, but he said it in such a way that he could have been just supposing, and now, with her freaky death, that is an all-new question. As is the whole stealth thing she does. Pete even referenced it toward Artie in this episode - "Did you just Mrs. Frederic me?" If she were still around, I sort of like not knowing if she's got a power or not - maybe it's just a little fun thing the writers are playing with, adding to her mystique - but now that she's gone, darnit, enquiring minds want to know.

As for the blooper, I don't usually see those things. When I start noticing bloopers, they're either really, really obvious, or it's a sign that the writing sucks. Even with my complaints about this episode and a few others, the writing is still up to a point where I'm not seeing the bloopers.

nolefan32

[10]Oct 4, 2011
    kanniballl wrote:

nolefan32 wrote:

There's a difference between "a structure that can survive an external explosion" and "a structure that can contain said explosion without cracking." A bunker might survive a large explosion outside, but put that same ordinance inside and it might not contain it.

HG said she was able to transfer a small portion of the shield... chances are she did the math and figured it wouldn't be enough to contain a small nuke.

A throw away line would've been nice though, like I was able to transfer a small sliver of power to that spot on the floor. Not enough to contain the explosion itself but it should be enough to protect you.

You could be right, but that throwaway line is even more critical since it was expressed before then that the force field was impenatrable, nothing gets in or out. A scaled version of it may very well bring scaled capability, but they needed to say that, since obviously it left a lot of us scratching our heads.

VincentMagius

[11]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 8
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Even worse, Claudia stated that she was saving that Metronome for Jinks. For one thing, I don't see how that is going to bring him back as Jinks is already dead, also, would Jinks want to live like that...his life tied to an artifact forever?

When they discovered Jinks body, Claudia collapsed down to the floor in grief. Jinks was slaunched back in the chair, head tilted, EYES OPEN, and apparently dead. The show goes to commercial. When we come back from commercial, Claudia is in the same position basically as is Jinks but his eyes are now CLOSED. Hmmmmm, did I miss something there?

The guy it was originally attached to didn't seem to be in any real pain due to the metronome itself, just when it stopped working. Without knowing the rest of the downside, it appears to be a viable solution to the death of a loved one.

As to the eyes, we can infer a time gap. Myka and Pete were both in the room. I might have to rewatch the scene, but we can assume someone closed his eyes.

winner1001

[12]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 2

I think I may have a possible explination for why she put the shield over them and not the bomb. If she had put the shield over the bomb, the bomb would then be outside of the main shield and thus destroy part of the world. I dont think HG created a new shield around Myka/Pete, but rather adjusted the position of the large bubble around them. She basically placed them outside of the entire shield that surrounded the warehouse. If you think about it, the shield was in the shape of a hemisphere surrounding the warehouse. HG merely redirected part of the shield on that spot effectively moving arty,myka,and pete outside the bubble. You would than have a hemisphere shape with a little cuttout in the bottom that they were standing in. She said she REDIRECTED part of the OUTER shield to that spot on the floor. That would explain why she didnt put it over the bomb. This way, they are on the outside of the shield, while the bomb is still on the inside.

Shreela

[13]Oct 5, 2011

Jinks has been dead a while now, so will the metronome artifact even revive him? Will Claudia be forced to choose between using the metronome on Mrs. F or Jinks? Even though Mrs. F has only been dead about a minute or so, will the metronome have enough mojo to revive someone kept alive by a different mojo?

Does the evil bracelet have to be put on manually before it starts exerting its evil? Hopefully not, and hopefully Jane has a warehouse baggie, or at least some purple gloves.

How was the undying guy able to move from one place to another? Guessing a different artifact, and I don't even remember what the medal that Mrs. F was holding did, except it would make undying guy hurt real bad.

But Artie seems to have something planned - time travel to the rescue? Was that why Artie went to his evil former partner's room in the hard-drive-looking-prison, to retrieve a just-in-case time device? I assume Artie's dog didn't survive.

Was HG thinking of Myka as a daughter figure, or crushing on her? I guess we'll find out if they do a time-travel fixit. Ringer's not getting rave reviews, so maybe HG's actress could return for W13's next season.

And out of curiosity: ****

OMGosh, it certainly did censor p0cketw@tch haha: Errors: One or more words within your message were automatically censored.

ensui323

[14]Oct 5, 2011
    • level: 3

i agree with all the comments in here, why didn't HG just put a barrier to cover the bomb, Jinks' being undercover that was a give away.....

A few of my two cents worth of idea about what has, may and could happen:

1. Claudia will use the metronome to revive Jinks, if...

2. Artie uses the watch Mc Phearson gave him to alter the time, to prevent the destruction of the Warehouse 13, coz, if the warehouse burned the next season would be called warehouse 14 or 13.1....

misty1705

[15]Oct 5, 2011
    • level: 10

all i can say is wow this has to be the best ever episode i think i nearly cried in a couple of parts an i never do that for shows i'm guessing the watch allows u to got 60 seconds back in time well that's wot im hoping coz i don't think they can change the name to warehouse 14 so they will have to find some way to save it

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[16]Oct 5, 2011
    • level: 13
    Nolefan32 - We are not only like minded on this episode, we have been like minded on previous episodes where I have seen you voiced your dismay on the declining quality of the writing. I had most of your thoughts in my mind as well but didn't always comment. In the beginning, the writing of the show was impecable. Almost every comment I posted was on how great the writing was and how every second of the show tied back to something either in that episode or a future one. I have two problems with the Emily Lake make shift witness protection program thingy. For one, I agree with you. The thought probably was that her mind was the problem, not her body. But realistically, do you think that would stop a psychotic evil doer from going after her to see if he can restore her mind without the Janus coin? You are not protecting somebody in my opinion by leaving their body out there and defenseless. They even made her forget her martial arts (I believe it was Kempo) fighting skills. How could she protect herself? Second, all of the Warehouses have been compromised so many times in the last several episodes both internally and externally. What makes the Regents think that the Janus coin and its previous uses/users would be safe?

It was stated that Marcus (Sykes accomplice) was an ex police officer that was shot in the heart twice BUT DIDN'T DIE and that Sykes was using Johann Maelzel's Metronome to keep him alive. Operative words here: DIDN'T DIE. Marcus never died. Ms Fredericks and Jinks are both dead so how can that artifact revive them? More importantly, why would Claudia think that it would? If she has knowledge about that artifact that the viewers do not, instead of her saying, "I am using this for Jinks.", the writers could have just simply extended her line to say, "I am using this for Jinks as it revives the dead and keeps the living alive."

Your point about the force field and bomb is well taken. Instead of the writers creating those "We are all gonna die" lines for Artie and crew, those lines could have been replaced by HG Wells explaining what she was creating or doing and they all could have simply worked together as a team trusting HG Wells protection plan not knowing at the last minute that she would be outside of the protection of the force field. Also, we have seen Artifacts that have ranged from altering time and reality to dissintegrating and creating matter. Warehouse 13 appears to be much larger than a football field and is full of objects which Artie is well versed with as well as HG Wells who at some point bagged and tagged many of the artifacts there. You mean to tell me that there were no artifacts in there to alter the bomb's structure? Teleport it? Freeze it in time? and etc.?

The writers did a good job of building up the viewers curiosity about Mrs. Fredericks. As you had stated, now that she is dead, they better explain next season her true nature. Inquiring minds do want to know!

As to Jinks eyes being open when he was first discovered but then being closed after the commercial break, why should we have to assume that Claudia closed his eyes? Instead of her just being seen kneeling before him sad and speechless for several seconds, why couldn't the writers add to the script her standing for a brief second and simply closing his eyes to some sad music playing in the background?!?!? If we can assume here, we can simply assume that it was a mistake/blooper. It is these types of mistakes/bloopers and above-mentioned writing flaws that did not exist in such abundance when this series first aired but have been steadily increasing over time.

haldrey

[17]Oct 5, 2011
    • level: 22
    Awesome! Great season finale, best of an amazing season. We will have to wait but at least we know that they are coming back.

pcgabe

[18]Oct 6, 2011
    • level: 16

GUYS, here's why **** (pocket watch as one word) is being censored. It's called the "clbuttic error".

The "clbuttic error" started with automated software that replaced swear words with less-offensive terms. BUT, it would replace words even inside other words. Words like "classic". Does "clbuttic" make more sense now?Wink

Smarter software will recognize proper words and not censor them. BUT since "pocket watch" is properly two words, the joined one-word version isn't in the database, because it's not a real word. So the auto-censor sees the last letter of "pocket" and the first part of "watch" and says "You can't say that on TV.com!"

cherold01

[19]Oct 6, 2011
    • level: 16
    Thank you pcgabe, I never would have figured that out.

As for the episode, well honestly I regret not giving up on this show altogether after the episode with Pete and his ex. This whole season has been crammed full of "touching" moments and the stories and writing have generally been weak. The last show was everything I have hated about the season as a whole, with too much emoting, illogical events (most notably H.G.'s not redirecting the barrier over the bomb) and generally poor writing. I will watch the first episode next season, but if it's not back up to the level of previous seasons then I'm done with this show.

Tayke

[20]Oct 7, 2011
    Shreela wrote:
    I assume Artie's dog didn't survive.

I totally forgot about the dog! Artie definitely needs to turn back time now, and save the dog.

THINK OF THE PUPPIES! THE PUPPIES, I SAY!

Also, why was everyone so chummy with HG all of a sudden? Like, why was Claudia so upset when they had to destroy the coin? I watched all the episodes, but clearly I missed something...