Warehouse 13 Forums

Syfy (ended 2014)

Official Discussion Thread: MacPherson (possible spoilers)

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[21]Sep 25, 2009
    • level: 13
    Kalel18 wrote:
    TesserT wrote:
    No deep discussion from me but I sure did enjoy this episode. It was excellent and such fun! I'm not a big one for cliffhangers but this was great. Left us with more questions & some mystery for further speculation and I like that! (First thing that came to my mind at the very end - hope they've got some food in the warehouse!)
    Now why didn't I think of that?

Kalell, looking forward to next season and your posts. I was wondering, while we are waiting for next season, do you have Leena's number???
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

amaryllis88

[22]Sep 25, 2009
    • level: 20

I'm hoping I missed this part somewhere, but why are we referring to Leena as Athena too?

What a twist, I thought it was Claudia, more so than Leena, but wow, and was Ms. Fredericks' epiphany because she figured out that Leena was behind it, or that something "odd" was happening? And she was wearing that crystal-stone necklace thing that she gave to MacPherson, did that have anything to do with her powers? I doubt it,but it's a thought.

The thimble thing was awesome, and I'm hoping that Artie had the pendant on him because we don't know where it went, I'm guessing he took it from MacPherson just before he bronzed him? That sorta reminded me of Han Solo from Star Wars.

I'm wondering if it's only a certain # of people that the pendant kills, since we're not sure between the firemen & the henchmen, hopefully it's somebody in town that we don't know of, and not any of our main characters. As much as Claudia sometimes gets on my nerves, I wouldn't want her to die.

JodyNorthup

[23]Sep 26, 2009
    • level: 1

Wouldn't it be somewhat out of character for Artie to use the phoenix to save himself?

If the phoenix was used, I suspect it means that MacPherson somehow switched places with Artie in the ordeal, such that Claudia and Artie are on the run, and MacPherson is in (direct) charge of the warehouse.

Kalel18

[24]Sep 26, 2009
    • level: 11

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Kalell, looking forward to next season and your posts. I was wondering, while we are waiting for next season, do you have Leena's number???
    Likewise, my friend. Don't I wish! Hmm...Good Leena, or Bad Leena? I'd settle for either, or both - of their numbers, that is.

Amaryllis88 wrote:
    I'm hoping I missed this part somewhere, but why are we referring to Leena as Athena too? What a twist, I thought it was Claudia, more so than Leena, but wow, and was Ms. Fredericks' epiphany because she figured out that Leena was behind it, or that something "odd" was happening? And she was wearing that crystal-stone necklace thing that she gave to MacPherson, did that have anything to do with her powers? I doubt it,but it's a thought. The thimble thing was awesome, and I'm hoping that Artie had the pendant on him because we don't know where it went, I'm guessing he took it from MacPherson just before he bronzed him? That sorta reminded me of Han Solo from Star Wars. I'm wondering if it's only a certain # of people that the pendant kills, since we're not sure between the firemen & the henchmen, hopefully it's somebody in town that we don't know of, and not any of our main characters. As much as Claudia sometimes gets on my nerves, I wouldn't want her to die.
    A, I believe that through the use of an artifact, MacPhearson has gained control of Leena. She is no doubt possessed by this "Athena". I mentioned it earlier, that I don't believe she went over to the dark side of her own accord. Artie obviously had the pendant in his pocket and thus will be saved. But, I am wondering also, how many have to die, and who it will be. I don't care for Claudia, but I don't want her to die either. Gislef mentioned early on that Mrs. F's bodyguard maight take the fall, unfortunately. That is a possibility. Or as I posited earlier, maybe a couple of MacPhearson's henchmen.

I liked the Han Solo Bronze connection also.

JodyNorthup wrote:

Wouldn't it be somewhat out of character for Artie to use the phoenix to save himself?

If the phoenix was used, I suspect it means that MacPherson somehow switched places with Artie in the ordeal, such that Claudia and Artie are on the run, and MacPherson is in (direct) charge of the warehouse.

I'm not buying the Artie/MacPhearson switch scenario. MacPhearson wanted revenge, wanted Artie dead. I don't think it was out of character for Artie to use the Phoenix to save himself. I think it was more of a reflex action than anything else. He had a second or two to live, realizing he had the pendant in his pocket, he grabbed it, and probably never had time to make a moral choice, one way or the other. In fact that choice, or lack of, may play into how many people have to die as a consequence.

Well, I don't have anything else to add unless someone keeps the discussion going in an interesting direction. So, I'm out. It's been fun. Looking forward to season 2 and continued good discussion with yaall. (Can you tell I'm from Texas?)

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[25]Sep 26, 2009

[QUOTE="JodyNorthup"] Wouldn't it be somewhat out of character for Artie to use the phoenix to save himself?

Kalell8 wrote:
    I'm not buying the Artie/MacPhearson switch scenario. MacPhearson wanted revenge, wanted Artie dead. I don't think it was out of character for Artie to use the Phoenix to save himself. I think it was more of a reflex action than anything else. He had a second or two to live, realizing he had the pendant in his pocket, he grabbed it, and probably never had time to make a moral choice, one way or the other. In fact that choice, or lack of, may play into how many people have to die as a consequence.

Well, I don't have anything else to add unless someone keeps the discussion going in an interesting direction. So, I'm out. It's been fun. Looking forward to season 2 and continued good discussion with yaall. (Can you tell I'm from Texas?)

I think that Artie would not knowingly use the Phoenix Artifact as demonstrated in the beginning of the episode when he was telling MacPherson not to use it for personal reasons. He may have it in his pocket but not even know it. You can tell by his facial expression when the explosion occurred in that exit tube he was in that he knew he was toast...(please excuse the horrible pun)

thetruesora

[26]Sep 26, 2009
    • level: 22
    I must of missed the Athena bit. could someone help clear up what part that was?

danharr

[27]Sep 26, 2009
    • level: 45
    Ok good finale just when I was sighing at the top secret agents who can't get it right a good twist is thrown in. Next season if she's not burned to a crisp cause I'm sure Artie has the phoenix why did she do it and sigh the return of an exonerated Claudia.

lou0611

[28]Sep 27, 2009
    • level: 1
    right before artie is about to die he puts his right hand in his pocket (Phoenix?)

Kalel18

[29]Sep 27, 2009

thetruesora wrote:
    I must of missed the Athena bit. could someone help clear up what part that was?

Immediately after being de-bronzed, when the capsule opens MacPhearson says to Leena (as Claudia): "Athena, thank you for remembering our appointment."

danharr wrote:
    Ok good finale just when I was sighing at the top secret agents who can't get it right a good twist is thrown in. Next season if she's not burned to a crisp cause I'm sure Artie has the phoenix why did she do it and sigh the return of an exonerated Claudia.

You seemed to be dancing along the top of the fence all season, danharr.

Glad you stuck it out!

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[30]Sep 27, 2009
    Kalel18 wrote:

thetruesora wrote:

Immediately after being de-bronzed, when the capsule opens MacPhearson says to Leena (as Claudia): "Athena, thank you for remembering our appointment."

danharr wrote:

Glad you stuck it out!

Kallel18, hello my friend. In the scene that you are referring to, MacPherson did not say, "Athena, thank you for remembering our appointment." He said, "MY DEAR, thank you for remembering our appointment." If that was your only Athena reference, then I think it does not apply here. I thought you was somehow making a reference to the Harriet Tubman Thimble that Leena was using to appear as Claudia and the Goddess Athena....as it is well known that the goddess Athena was a superb strategist and many of the Greek myths recount tales of her help given to various gods, goddesses, and heroes as they went into battle or faced seemingly impossible tests.

MacPherson's objective was to gain unrestricted access to Warehouse 13. That was stated by MacPherson when Leena asked him was this all worth it. With the rare mineral injected into MacPherson's blood stream upon his earlier arrest making it seemingly impossible for him to ever gain access to Warehouse 13, and Leena's help to MacPherson, the Athena/Leena concept could apply.

amaryllis88

[31]Sep 27, 2009
    • level: 20

JodyNorthup wrote:

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    think that Artie would not knowingly use the Phoenix Artifact as demonstrated in the beginning of the episode when he was telling MacPherson not to use it for personal reasons.

I was about to say that if Artie did use the Phoenix (which I'm guessing that he did), he did it unintentionally because, as was seen from a flashback, he wouldn't let MacPherson use it for his girl until he knocked down Artie to get it.

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Harriet Tubman Thimble that Leena was using to appear as Claudia and the Goddess Athena....as it is well known that the goddess Athena was a superb strategist and many of the Greek myths recount tales of her help given to various gods, goddesses, and heroes as they went into battle or faced seemingly impossible tests.

Are we to believe that there was another artifact involved besides the thimble that put Leena under a spell, and I'd like to know what it is, as I'm sure others would like to know as well. It would definitely have to be something, because I can't buy Leena changing sides so suddenly like that, there had to have been a catalyst involved somewhere, mainly how would she have gotten passed Ms. F's security, oh, and when Ms. F was in the car, was that an epiphany that she realized Leena was in on it, or was it something else that she realized and told her driver to turn around?

And on the Athena note, she was the goddess of wisdom, so what would her artifact be? A small trinket, or a book? I'm not doubting that she was a great asset to battles or tests. Just curious what her artifact would be, something to match her associations, as Poe had his ink pen & journal, and Jack the Ripper had his lantern. Just a guess as to what it would be...

Serevinus

[32]Sep 27, 2009
    • level: 14
    Even if Artie did have the Phoenix, surely the fall would have killed him... the Phoenix would have saved him from the explosion, but it's still a long way down, not to mention shrapnel.

Kalel18

[33]Sep 27, 2009
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Kalel18 wrote:

thetruesora wrote:

danharr wrote:

Glad you stuck it out!

Kallel18, hello my friend. In the scene that you are referring to, MacPherson did not say, "Athena, thank you for remembering our appointment." He said, "MY DEAR, thank you for remembering our appointment." If that was your only Athena reference, then I think it does not apply here. I thought you was somehow making a reference to the Harriet Tubman Thimble that Leena was using to appear as Claudia and the Goddess Athena....as it is well known that the goddess Athena was a superb strategist and many of the Greek myths recount tales of her help given to various gods, goddesses, and heroes as they went into battle or faced seemingly impossible tests. MacPherson's objective was to gain unrestricted access to Warehouse 13. That was stated by MacPherson when Leena asked him was this all worth it. With the rare mineral injected into MacPherson's blood stream upon his earlier arrest making it seemingly impossible for him to ever gain access to Warehouse 13, and Leena's help to MacPherson, the Athena/Leena concept could apply.

Aargh! Just when I thought it was safe to lay season one to rest, you dragged me back in. - Just kidding!

One - it's funny, when I first watched the episode it wasn't even anything I questioned. That's the way I heard it - "Athena". But since you called my perception into question, offering a different intrepetation, I started to have my doubts. I'm not convinced Mac Phearson is saying "my dear" either, for that matter, but he may be. If he is saying "my dear" he is stretching it out with his Brittish accent (sorry, I know it is we in the U.S. who have the accents) to sound like: "my deeah", which is possible. Of course, once I questioned my original intrepetation I can hear a couple other possibilities. I do agree now that it souns like he is starting with an N or M. I can hear "Nateeyah" or something to that effect, or more interestingly: "Medea". And, since you brought up the mythological aspect, Medea would be an intriguing possibility, as she was known as a priestess and a temptress. I know I find her quite alluring!

What we need here is an independant committe or commission to examine this issue and render an official "finding". Twenty or more people who have not watched the episode, and thus have no preconceptions, could listen to the short bit of dialogue, write down what they hear, and then compare notes. Do you think you could work on that, ONE?

Seriously, though, as the Temptations sang: (it could be)...just my imagination, runnin' away with me. It wouldn't be the first time.

One last question I have, that has been bugging me for sometime concerning Leena: What about the opal, or onyx pendant that she ALWAYS wears? Does anyone else think it is an artifact of some sort? Maybe it is how MacPhearson is controlling her - as I believe he is. OR, is it just my imagination...?

**EDIT** Amaryllis, I was typing while you were posting. In reference to the whole "Athena" notion, if there even is a connection to Leena, since it has been called into doubt, I don't know what to make of a possible artifact. But good question. I had just referred to Leena's pendant, but I don't know if it is an artifact, or not. Was just bringing up the possibility. Even if it is, I don't have any idea what its power might be, unless it is a controlling mechanism, like I speculated.

Edited on 09/27/2009 3:11pm

Nitro29

[34]Sep 28, 2009
    • level: 12
    this is just me, but I'm pretty sure he says "my dear"

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[35]Sep 28, 2009
    Kalel18 wrote:
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Kalel18 wrote:

thetruesora wrote:

danharr wrote:

Glad you stuck it out!

Kallel18, hello my friend. In the scene that you are referring to, MacPherson did not say, "Athena, thank you for remembering our appointment." He said, "MY DEAR, thank you for remembering our appointment." If that was your only Athena reference, then I think it does not apply here. I thought you was somehow making a reference to the Harriet Tubman Thimble that Leena was using to appear as Claudia and the Goddess Athena....as it is well known that the goddess Athena was a superb strategist and many of the Greek myths recount tales of her help given to various gods, goddesses, and heroes as they went into battle or faced seemingly impossible tests. MacPherson's objective was to gain unrestricted access to Warehouse 13. That was stated by MacPherson when Leena asked him was this all worth it. With the rare mineral injected into MacPherson's blood stream upon his earlier arrest making it seemingly impossible for him to ever gain access to Warehouse 13, and Leena's help to MacPherson, the Athena/Leena concept could apply.

Aargh! Just when I thought it was safe to lay season one to rest, you dragged me back in. - Just kidding!

One - it's funny, when I first watched the episode it wasn't even anything I questioned. That's the way I heard it - "Athena". But since you called my perception into question, offering a different intrepetation, I started to have my doubts. I'm not convinced Mac Phearson is saying "my dear" either, for that matter, but he may be. If he is saying "my dear" he is stretching it out with his Brittish accent (sorry, I know it is we in the U.S. who have the accents) to sound like: "my deeah", which is possible. Of course, once I questioned my original intrepetation I can hear a couple other possibilities. I do agree now that it souns like he is starting with an N or M. I can hear "Nateeyah" or something to that effect, or more interestingly: "Medea". And, since you brought up the mythological aspect, Medea would be an intriguing possibility, as she was known as a priestess and a temptress. I know I find her quite alluring!

What we need here is an independant committe or commission to examine this issue and render an official "finding". Twenty or more people who have not watched the episode, and thus have no preconceptions, could listen to the short bit of dialogue, write down what they hear, and then compare notes. Do you think you could work on that, ONE?

Seriously, though, as the Temptations sang: (it could be)...just my imagination, runnin' away with me. It wouldn't be the first time.

One last question I have, that has been bugging me for sometime concerning Leena: What about the opal, or onyx pendant that she ALWAYS wears? Does anyone else think it is an artifact of some sort? Maybe it is how MacPhearson is controlling her - as I believe he is. OR, is it just my imagination...?

**EDIT** Amaryllis, I was typing while you were posting. In reference to the whole "Athena" notion, if there even is a connection to Leena, since it has been called into doubt, I don't know what to make of a possible artifact. But good question. I had just referred to Leena's pendant, but I don't know if it is an artifact, or not. Was just bringing up the possibility. Even if it is, I don't have any idea what its power might be, unless it is a controlling mechanism, like I speculated.

Kallel, I am 100% sure he said, "My Dear". I had on my Closed Captioned feature and those words appeared. It was definitely "My Dear". Watch it again and put on your closed caption feature. I was not going by the sound because those British accents can sometimes be confusing.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[36]Sep 28, 2009
    amaryllis88 wrote:

Are we to believe that there was another artifact involved besides the thimble that put Leena under a spell, and I'd like to know what it is, as I'm sure others would like to know as well. It would definitely have to be something, because I can't buy Leena changing sides so suddenly like that, there had to have been a catalyst involved somewhere, mainly how would she have gotten passed Ms. F's security, oh, and when Ms. F was in the car, was that an epiphany that she realized Leena was in on it, or was it something else that she realized and told her driver to turn around?

The manipulation of Leena could have been recent. She may have received a gift in the mail from MacPherson as Myka's father did. Also, we don't know enough about Leena to say her loyalty to Warehouse 13 goes unquestioned. Think about it. What do we really know about Leena?

amaryllis88 wrote:
    And on the Athena note, she was the goddess of wisdom, so what would her artifact be? A small trinket, or a book? I'm not doubting that she was a great asset to battles or tests. Just curious what her artifact would be, something to match her associations, as Poe had his ink pen & journal, and Jack the Ripper had his lantern. Just a guess as to what it would be...

Athena was the Goddes of wisdom, peace, warfare, strategy, handicrafts and reason. Which leads a lot of room for what type of artifact it could be. It could be something as small as an earring. She was wearing a pendant in the last episode. In the earlier episodes, she was not wearing that pendant.
    Edited on 09/28/2009 9:36am

Kalel18

[37]Sep 28, 2009
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Kalel18 wrote:
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Kalel18 wrote:

thetruesora wrote:

danharr wrote:

Glad you stuck it out!

Kallel, I am 100% sure he said, "My Dear". I had on my Closed Captioned feature and those words appeared. It was definitely "My Dear". Watch it again and put on your closed caption feature. I was not going by the sound because those British accents can sometimes be confusing.

Wow, ONE, you are the man. I didn't even think of that!

End of controversy. Much ado about nothing. Time for me to clean-out the ears!

Still wonder about Leena's pendant though. And, do you think she has some kind of grudge and is acting freely, or is she being controlled by MacP.?

I'll be humming a Temptations tune all day.

Thanks ONE. - Kalel

Kalel18

[38]Sep 28, 2009

Well, second time in two days I've been either addressing a question just posted or asking a question just answered.

ONE, we may not really know that much about Leena, but I believe that Mrs. F knows quite a bit about her. The "duality" theory was debunked by their mutual appearance in the same scene, but I still believe there may be a psychic connection of some sort between them. Of course, that begs the question of why Mrs. F. didn't know in advance that something was wrong with Leena. And I don't have an answer for that. But that's a good thing - they are keeping us guessing!

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[39]Sep 28, 2009
    Kalel18 wrote:

Wow, ONE, you are the man. I didn't even think of that! End of controversy. Much ado about nothing. Time for me to clean-out the ears! Still wonder about Leena's pendant though. And, do you think she has some kind of grudge and is acting freely, or is she being controlled by MacP.? I'll be humming a Temptations tune all day. Thanks ONE. - Kalel

I tend to leave the Closed Caption on when I watch the show since I want to make sure that what I am hearing is what they are saying. This is not the first time that somebody posted what they believed was said on the show. In Regrets, "Luvinx", who posts regularly thought Claudia had said when she was up in the air clinging to the metal and changing the light bulb, "Suck that, Magneto". I later posted to "Luvinx" that she in fact said, "Suck it, Magneto". It's sometimes hard to pick up what is being said. Besides, you don't want to know what I thought Claudia said...:O) As far as the pendant is concerned, I am convinced that it is the pendant's influence that caused her to side with MacPherson. Leena did not wear that pendant in the earlier episodes of Warehouse 13 that she appeared in. However, I remember specifically in "Implosion", when she was talking to Myka and Pete about Artie's practice to keep his agents uninformed of important facts until he feels necessary, Leena was wearing the pendant then. Now Kalel, why would the show have Leena wear the SAME pendant from at least Implosion on but not wear it prior to that? It's gotta be the pendant and MacPherson.
    Kalel18 wrote:

Well, second time in two days I've been either addressing a question just posted or asking a question just answered.

ONE, we may not really know that much about Leena, but I believe that Mrs. F knows quite a bit about her. The "duality" theory was debunked by their mutual appearance in the same scene, but I still believe there may be a psychic connection of some sort between them. Of course, that begs the question of why Mrs. F. didn't know in advance that something was wrong with Leena. And I don't have an answer for that. But that's a good thing - they are keeping us guessing!

Could it be something very simple my friend? Could it be that the image of the pendant around Leena's neck coalesced in Mrs. F mind and she remembered it to be an artifact?

tremblsi

[40]Sep 28, 2009
    • level: 4

MichaudMR wrote:

This may be a minor nit, but if the Warehouse is in the middle of nowhere, how far do they have to travel to get to Leena's B&B in town?

I know this is a bit outside the current discussion, but here's the answer to that question I found while rewatching the pilot: at the end of the warehouse tour, Artie offer them a cookie for the road. He then says that Leena's is about 7 miles down the road.

As for the episode itself, I really liked it. Quite a good and strong season ending and I can't wait for next season, when we will resolve Artie's faith. It is possible that he had the Phoenix in is pocket, but would it protect him against the kinetic energy of the blast?

Also about Leena's betrayal, I like the idea of her being corrupted by the pendant. She seemed to linked to Mrs Fredricks and the Warehouse to be coerced by mundane motivation, like money.