TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Warehouse 13 Forums

Syfy (ended 2014)

Official Discussion Thread: MacPherson (possible spoilers)

Kalel18

[41]Sep 29, 2009
    • level: 11
    tremblsi wrote:

MichaudMR wrote:

This may be a minor nit, but if the Warehouse is in the middle of nowhere, how far do they have to travel to get to Leena's B&B in town?

I know this is a bit outside the current discussion, but here's the answer to that question I found while rewatching the pilot: at the end of the warehouse tour, Artie offer them a cookie for the road. He then says that Leena's is about 7 miles down the road.

As for the episode itself, I really liked it. Quite a good and strong season ending and I can't wait for next season, when we will resolve Artie's faith. It is possible that he had the Phoenix in is pocket, but would it protect him against the kinetic energy of the blast?

Also about Leena's betrayal, I like the idea of her being corrupted by the pendant. She seemed to linked to Mrs Fredricks and the Warehouse to be coerced by mundane motivation, like money.

Thanks for clearing up the distance issue. I always figured it was no more than ten milles or so, as they seem to move back and forth with ease. I guess Claudia could "hoof it" in a couple of hours.

...but would it protect him against the kinetic energy of the blast?...Short answer - Yes. I've learned to not delve too deeply into the actual science behind the artifacts, and just count on their suprnatural aspects. Even if they sometimes defy logic, the writers will still "make it so."
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[42]Sep 29, 2009
    • level: 13
    Kalel18 wrote:
    tremblsi wrote:

I know this is a bit outside the current discussion, but here's the answer to that question I found while rewatching the pilot: at the end of the warehouse tour, Artie offer them a cookie for the road. He then says that Leena's is about 7 miles down the road.

As for the episode itself, I really liked it. Quite a good and strong season ending and I can't wait for next season, when we will resolve Artie's faith. It is possible that he had the Phoenix in is pocket, but would it protect him against the kinetic energy of the blast?

Also about Leena's betrayal, I like the idea of her being corrupted by the pendant. She seemed to linked to Mrs Fredricks and the Warehouse to be coerced by mundane motivation, like money.

Thanks for clearing up the distance issue. I always figured it was no more than ten milles or so, as they seem to move back and forth with ease. I guess Claudia could "hoof it" in a couple of hours. ...but would it protect him against the kinetic energy of the blast?...Short answer - Yes. I've learned to not delve too deeply into the actual science behind the artifacts, and just count on their suprnatural aspects. Even if they sometimes defy logic, the writers will still "make it so."
    As we don't know if the true nature of the artifacts are scientific, supernatural, magical, or any combination thereof, and until the writers of the show let's us know, we cannot look for only scientific explanations and logic to be adhered to. Nevertheless, MacPherson said in the season finale when he was trying to barter off the Phoenix that the person who wears it would never die. So yes, the Phoenix would save him from any blast regardless of what type of blast it may be.

Edited on 09/29/2009 2:01pm
    Edited 2 total times.

MichaudMR

[43]Sep 29, 2009
    • level: 17

Great catch on the mileage between the warehouse and Leena's! That tidbit of knowledge will fill in a few gaps for us.

I'm really pulling for some kind of outside influence, or better yet, a doppelganger posing as Leena the turn coat. As it stands I'm truely enjoying the cast mix as it is and don't want the writers to mess with a good thing. Even though we know Allison Scagliotti is moving on to another show next season, it's possible she could still have a limited role if the shooting schedules don't conflict too much.

As far as the "science" is concerned, I try not to look too closely unless they trip my plausibility toggle. This does sound a little loony when we are talking about science fiction, but at some (admittedly flexible and ill defined) threshold my ability to "go with it" ceases and I lose interest. IMHO - special effects and in this case "Artifacts" are only a vehicle to drive the storyline, rather than the other way around. Take for example a ubiquitous action hero movie, the storyline (what there is of it) is there to set up the actions sequences. So far the writers of Warehouse 13 get this. While it is fun to play with the clues and mysteries around the artifacts (as in lists, catalogs, debates, and so forth), I hope to not take it too seriously to the point where it erodes simply enjoying an hours escape from reality.

Princess_Pinky

[44]Sep 30, 2009

Kalel18 wrote:
    someguy0830 wrote:
    Gislef wrote:
    Note that the pendant was unaccounted for at the end...
    Yeah, but that leaves the question of who gets to burn to death.
    I would guess Leena/Athena.

But the Phoenix doesn't kill those who have touched it (unless the "touch protection" is not life long). But going by the theory that it is (since I don't have any evidence to the contrary at this time): is appears that Leena was the one inside the Warehouse taking out the artifacts for MacPherson since he physically could not get in, meaning she had to have been the one the one to touch and take the Phoenix out of the Warehouse and thus could not be the one to die in Artie's place if he was saved by the charm.

Edited on 09/30/2009 12:37am

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[45]Sep 30, 2009
    MichaudMR wrote:

Great catch on the mileage between the warehouse and Leena's! That tidbit of knowledge will fill in a few gaps for us.

I'm really pulling for some kind of outside influence, or better yet, a doppelganger posing as Leena the turn coat. As it stands I'm truely enjoying the cast mix as it is and don't want the writers to mess with a good thing. Even though we know Allison Scagliotti is moving on to another show next season, it's possible she could still have a limited role if the shooting schedules don't conflict too much.

As far as the "science" is concerned, I try not to look too closely unless they trip my plausibility toggle. This does sound a little loony when we are talking about science fiction, but at some (admittedly flexible and ill defined) threshold my ability to "go with it" ceases and I lose interest. IMHO - special effects and in this case "Artifacts" are only a vehicle to drive the storyline, rather than the other way around. Take for example a ubiquitous action hero movie, the storyline (what there is of it) is there to set up the actions sequences. So far the writers of Warehouse 13 get this. While it is fun to play with the clues and mysteries around the artifacts (as in lists, catalogs, debates, and so forth), I hope to not take it too seriously to the point where it erodes simply enjoying an hours escape from reality.

I don't think it will. I just think until we know the true nature of these artifacts and what force drives them...be it scientific, magical, metaphysical, and etc., we can't expect the behavior of these objects to be juxtaposed to any reality.

Kalel18

[46]Sep 30, 2009
    Princess_Pinky wrote:

Kalel18 wrote:
    someguy0830 wrote:
    Gislef wrote:

But the Phoenix doesn't kill those who have touched it (unless the "touch protection" is not life long). But going by the theory that it is (since I don't have any evidence to the contrary at this time): is appears that Leena was the one inside the Warehouse taking out the artifacts for MacPherson since he physically could not get in, meaning she had to have been the one the one to touch and take the Phoenix out of the Warehouse and thus could not be the one to die in Artie's place if he was saved by the charm.

Actually, I agree with you. On further thought, I came to the same conclusion.

I detailed my thoughts on the Season 2+ News, Spoilers, Spec. thread, yesterday - post #7.

It lists what is certain from the episode, versus various assumptions we are all making. Still, it's just my opinion and pure speculation.

Edited on 09/30/2009 10:00am

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[47]Sep 30, 2009
    Kalel18 wrote:
    Princess_Pinky wrote:

Kalel18 wrote:
    someguy0830 wrote:
    Gislef wrote:

I detailed my thoughts on the Season 2+ News, Spoilers, Spec. thread, yesterday - post #7.

It lists what is certain from the episode, versus various assumptions we are all making. Still, it's just my opinion and pure speculation.

Well, I am still up in the air on that one. If it is true that Leena had been the one taking these artifacts, we don't know if she came in direct contact with them. She could have taken the box or holding apparatus the artifact was in and gave it to MacPherson (as per MacPherson's instructions maybe???) Or she could have had on those gloves that Pete and Myka sometimes wear when handling artifacts and not come in physical contact with any artifact. It was never shown how the artifacts were stolen.

Kalel18

[48]Oct 1, 2009
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Kalel18 wrote:
    Princess_Pinky wrote:

Kalel18 wrote:
    someguy0830 wrote:
    Gislef wrote:

Well, I am still up in the air on that one. If it is true that Leena had been the one taking these artifacts, we don't know if she came in direct contact with them. She could have taken the box or holding apparatus the artifact was in and gave it to MacPherson (as per MacPherson's instructions maybe???) Or she could have had on those gloves that Pete and Myka sometimes wear when handling artifacts and not come in physical contact with any artifact. It was never shown how the artifacts were stolen.
    ONE, I think that's a bit of a stretch, but, of course, it's possible. It would have been a lot easier to slip it in a pocket, or conceal it on her person somewhere, rather than remove the box, and have to replace it later. If she used the gloves to remove the medallion from its case, presumably, she would also take the gloves with her, drawing more attention to herself - the same as she would by carrying the box out of the Warehouse. We all have our pet theories. We'll just have to HANG in there - fingers clinging to the edge - as we await season 2.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[49]Oct 1, 2009
    Kalel18 wrote:
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Kalel18 wrote:
    Princess_Pinky wrote:

Kalel18 wrote:
    someguy0830 wrote:
    Gislef wrote:

ONE, I think that's a bit of a stretch, but, of course, it's possible. It would have been a lot easier to slip it in a pocket, or conceal it on her person somewhere, rather than remove the box, and have to replace it later. If she used the gloves to remove the medallion from its case, presumably, she would also take the gloves with her, drawing more attention to herself - the same as she would by carrying the box out of the Warehouse. We all have our pet theories. We'll just have to HANG in there - fingers clinging to the edge - as we await season 2.

Kalel, I guess we will have to wait on this one like you said. Leena could be very familiar with Artie's, Myka's, and Pete's itinerary. I believe she was at Warehouse 13 several times by herself. There would be no need to conceal anything if she were there by herself. Also, cameras can be manipulated and Leena is in a Warehouse full of artifacts which she has intimate knowledge of that can be used to assist her on her thefts.

About the gloves, I don't think it would draw attention towards Leena if she was seen with gloves in Warehouse 13. Moving objects, taking inventory and etc. are normal events that take place in Warehouse 13 and since many of the artifacts activate on a sensory basis, it would make sense to wear gloves to protect you from their influence while working around them.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[50]Oct 2, 2009
    Something just dawned on me concerning Mrs. Fredericks. She has appeared out of thin air several times since the Pilot of the series startling the viewers and some of the main cast members in the process. As most of us believe that she has the ability to transport herself either by artifact effect or by natural ability, I am left with a minor conundrum. In "MacPherson", when Mrs. F. apparently figured out something was wrong back at Warehouse 13 and ordered her driver to turn the car around, why did she not just transport herself back to Warehouse 13 at that moment knowing that it was imperative to get back to Warehouse 13 as soon as possible to warn the others about her epiphany? I welcome your comments...
    Edited on 10/02/2009 9:40am
    Edited 3 total times.

MichaudMR

[51]Oct 2, 2009
    • level: 17
    What if she's just supernaturally stealthy? I remember when I was a kid my mother managed to be standing right behind me whenever I was up to no good (kind of spooky if you stop and think about it).

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[52]Oct 2, 2009
    MichaudMR wrote:
    What if she's just supernaturally stealthy? I remember when I was a kid my mother managed to be standing right behind me whenever I was up to no good (kind of spooky if you stop and think about it).
    You may have a point. It was my dad that was like that. I swear you would turn around and he would be right there too many times. I had once tried to buy him a bell for Father's Day to tie to his shoe laces.
    Edited on 10/02/2009 6:05pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Kalel18

[53]Oct 4, 2009
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Something just dawned on me concerning Mrs. Fredericks. She has appeared out of thin air several times since the Pilot of the series startling the viewers and some of the main cast members in the process. As most of us believe that she has the ability to transport herself either by artifact effect or by natural ability, I am left with a minor conundrum. In "MacPherson", when Mrs. F. apparently figured out something was wrong back at Warehouse 13 and ordered her driver to turn the car around, why did she not just transport herself back to Warehouse 13 at that moment knowing that it was imperative to get back to Warehouse 13 as soon as possible to warn the others about her epiphany? I welcome your comments...
    Good question, ONE. ??? Maybe the writers just preferred the dramatic effect of the "turn around" line. I don't have a good answer to the question.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[54]Oct 5, 2009
    Kalel18 wrote:
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Good question, ONE. ??? Maybe the writers just preferred the dramatic effect of the "turn around" line. I don't have a good answer to the question.
    Kalel, whatever the answer may be, I look forward to having it revealed early next season.
    Edited on 10/05/2009 1:13pm

tjaman

[55]Oct 12, 2009
    • level: 32
    They certainly brought it to a cliffhanger -- but the last few eps have been some of the strongest in the series. Nice to have a defined antagonist beyond vague budget beancounting. The "reverse process" was a little hamfisted, as was the "Well, he's bronzed, let's all go do something else." And I hope they find a way for Artie to have survived. I like him. Looking forward to seeing where they go from here.

Jacks_Son

[56]Oct 22, 2009

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:

Perhaps her talent is simply invisibility.

fryman1701

[57]Dec 15, 2009
    • level: 7
    Jacks_Son wrote:

Perhaps her talent is simply invisibility.

I just finished up the season a couple of nights ago(been way behind on stuff due to work and school), and my wife and I were discussing what exactly Mrs. F's talent/artifact granted ability was, and we came up with the theory that she can 'phase' out of reality to either pass through solid objects, or straight up teleport to and from places. This would explain a lot of her sudden appearances throughout the season, and give Artie a way to survive without the use of the Phoenix, thus killing no one.

pgsuperfan

[58]Mar 27, 2010
    • level: 25

OK I watched this for the first time last night, ok I give up whats going on ?

Kalel18

[59]Mar 29, 2010
    pgsuperfan wrote:

OK I watched this for the first time last night, ok I give up whats going on ?

Read all three pages of the thread and you'll be as enlightened as the rest of us. Or should I say: in the dark as the rest of us?

amaryllis88

[60]Jun 27, 2010
    • level: 20

Kalel18 wrote:
    Amaryllis, I was typing while you were posting. In reference to the whole "Athena" notion, if there even is a connection to Leena, since it has been called into doubt, I don't know what to make of a possible artifact. But good question. I had just referred to Leena's pendant, but I don't know if it is an artifact, or not. Was just bringing up the possibility. Even if it is, I don't have any idea what its power might be, unless it isa controlling mechanism, like I speculated.

Time I said thanks for answering my question from last year. lol, I'm back to this show once more since we're about to start on the second season. Yeah, can't wait! I think I read an answer from MOSTCAPABLEONE that said something like the artifact could be any number of things that could've possibly have been mailed to Leena, and maybe we just haven't seen it yet.

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    The manipulation of Leena could have been recent. She may have received a gift in the mail from MacPherson as Myka's father did. Also, we don't know enough about Leena to say her loyalty to Warehouse 13 goes unquestioned. Think about it. What do we really know about Leena?"

You're right. I don't think we know a whole lot about Leena to really know where she's coming from. What was it about her that both Artie and Mrs. F put so much trust in her?

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    when Mrs. F. apparently figured out something was wrong back at Warehouse 13 and ordered her driver to turn the car around, why did she not just transport herself back to Warehouse 13 at that moment knowing that it was imperative to get back to Warehouse 13 as soon as possible to warn the others about her epiphany? I welcome your comments...

Here's a possible theory, maybe nobody can transport themselves inside/outside of the car? Maybe the car is protected somehow? Like Hogwarts, in Harry Potter, nobody can apparate themselves in and/or outside of the castle walls? Then again, she could've instructed the driver to stop the car, get out of the car, and then magically appear inside the warehouse? Not sure, pure speculation on my part.

Kalel18 wrote:
    Read all three pages of the thread and you'll be as enlightened as the rest of us. Or should I say: In the dark as the rest of us?"

LoL!!!!! That was great!! haha, I'm back to where we left off from last year's, just by re-reading our thread once again.