Warehouse 13 Forums

Syfy (ended 2014)

Official Discussion Thread: Mild Mannered (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Jul 11, 2010
    • level: 102
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 7/13/10 episode "Mild Mannered" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

nolefan32

[2]Jul 13, 2010
    • level: 11
    I thought it was a decent episode overall. Not among the best of the show, but better than Time Will Tell, which really I thought the biggest problem there was that they tried to cram too much into one episode. Here they really just focused on the chasing of the artifact. Yeah, we had Claudia and Leena get over their little rift, and there was the whole thing with Artie seeing images of McPherson (which I am glad to see wasn't a "ghost" as had been suggested, even if it wasn't fully explained, ultimately what we did get did seem to fit better in this universe than an actual ghost might have).

Cool seeing Simon and Kaylee together again. I had seen some of the stuff about the episode before it aired and the early stuff made it sound as if Simon, err, Sheldon had an artifact that would make Kaylee, err Loretta like him (i.e., mind control), and then of course once stripped of it she wouldn't, but it was sweet that they got together at the end. Though it didn't seem that either Sean or Jewel were all that in to their roles this time around, that they gave better performances on Firefly/Serenity. Could have been just me, but that was my impression, like maybe they just enjoyed working on Firefly that much more (and all the cast has consistently said they had an absolute ball doing that show).

My Jewel Staite story, by the way - had the privilege of working a convention she was appearing at, so I got to spend a weekend hanging out with her (and her husband, who is a hoot to be around). It was a really small con, so I got to spend a lot of time around her and the other actors there. Yes, she's really that hot in person, and a very sweet lady with a big heart for her fans; she spent a lot of time just hanging out and talking with all the fans when she wasn't even really on the clock, just because she really seemed to enjoy the energy of the weekend.

And let me just say, Myka in latex ... wow. I know there's some on the Web that don't think Joanne is all that hot, and truth be told, most weeks they do play her looks down, but when they want to vamp her up, like they did here and like they did in Duped ... wow. In the words of Jayne Cobb, "I'll be in my bunk."

The last scene in Pete's room with Pete and Myka on the bed ... I really hope they don't try to turn Pete and Myka into a "thing." They've got this great brother-sister dynamic that works for me, and it is nice to see how they've evolved, considering they really couldn't stand each other when the show started a year ago (or I guess it's only been six months in Pete-and-Myka land, assuming they've been waiting for their stuff since they first left Washington). I just think them being a couple would spoil the show. The closest I ever want them to approach couplehood would be if, say, Pete started dating the hot blonde that ignored him at the beginning of this episode, and Myka made a big deal about it, not because she was jealous but because she was concerned for him, but it got misread as jealousy, that sort of thing.

Bicketybam

[3]Jul 13, 2010
    • level: 5
    Wow... a collection of stars from killed TV shows. Jewel, Sean and Conrad... when they were all together in the coffee shop I wasn't sure what show I was watching, Warehouse 13, The Dresden Files, Firefly or SG Atlantis.

CoffeeCake225

[4]Jul 14, 2010
    • level: 15
    Pete and myka do have a great brother-sister dynamic but eventually every show goes the romantic route. Either bringing in a new character or having existing ones get together. I think they should play they're characters in the booth/brennen way from Bones. They have tension and clearly care for each other but don't do anything about it because it might harm they friendship and work environment.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[5]Jul 14, 2010
    • level: 13
    Bicketybam wrote:
    Wow... a collection of stars from killed TV shows. Jewel, Sean and Conrad... when they were all together in the coffee shop I wasn't sure what show I was watching, Warehouse 13, The Dresden Files, Firefly or SG Atlantis.

Too funny...

Dewbak75

[6]Jul 14, 2010
    • level: 18

Bicketybam wrote:

There was another Dresden Files connection, actually. The woman running the Post Office in this week's episode was the herbalist Harry Dresden was buying stuff from at the beginning of the werewolf episode.

Jemadari

[7]Jul 14, 2010
    • level: 12

In the last episode I stated that I had an issue with Leena not reporting her blackouts well in this episode I take issue with her waiting to report those odd headaches she was getting and as for the rest of it I loved when Pete was so excited about being a superhero until Claudia said it caused impotence then he removed the gauntlet and said to Myka "here you go Wonder Woman"

Nagowteena

[8]Jul 14, 2010
    Man This was a pretty darn good Episode!!! not the best, but definitely a good one! The characters are way more developed, and this ep was just full of laughs! I won't soon forget this episode! also, two actors from Firefly? HUGE bonus!

amaryllis88

[9]Jul 14, 2010
    • level: 20
    Jemadari wrote:

In the last episode I stated that I had an issue with Leena not reporting her blackouts well in this episode I take issue with her waiting to report those odd headaches she was getting and as for the rest of it I loved when Pete was so excited about being a superhero until Claudia said it caused impotence then he removed the gauntlet and said to Myka "here you go Wonder Woman"

I was wondering how long it would take Leena to report her headaches. They almost seemed like vision headaches, not that I'd know the difference, but the way in which they magnified her "pain" or the uncomfortable feeling she was feeling seemed to make me believe otherwise. Yeah, why did she take a long time to report it, maybe third time's the charm. Also glad that her and Claudia made up, their riff would've bugged me if they dragged it on too much longer.

Loved seeing Firefly characters resurrected! They finally got to be together, even though it wasn't up to par with their characters from Firefly/Serenity, it was great seeing them again! So, the artifact was the trunks, that's kinda funny, that would be the thing to really magnify somebody's super hero powers to the extreme. Loved seeing Myka all decked out too, and loved how Pete was so into being the one in the leather get up until he found out about the impotence factor.

What Myka did for him at the end was so sweet! I doubt they're going to go down the romantic path, I see it as more of a friends thing than anything else. And yeah, I liked the episode, especially the effects during, and when they were about to go to commercial break.

nolefan32

[10]Jul 14, 2010
    Jemadari wrote:

I have to say, I wanted to reach into my TV and smack Leena, too. You'd think with her gifts, she of all people would have a better sense that her blackouts aren't a good thing (last week), and this week she'd have learned a little something from Mrs. F having to choke her almost to death to get the pearl out of her ear.

I read a review elsewhere that talked a little bit about how many times that Pete and Myka had pointed the Tesla at the Iron Shadow and yet never fired it, and that it seems to be an on-going thing. It'd be one thing if that were a real gun, but since it's a non-lethal stun-gun, there's a lot of times that they should use it but don't, and the critic suggested that it was because of lazy writing, that is, the only reason they don't fire is because it's still too early in the episode to solve everything and so they need the bad guy to get away. Granted, it's a minor whine (and even the critic said as much), but I was reminded of it talking here about Leena waiting to tell someone about her vertigo moments, the only reason being is that the writers need her to wait to tell someone but that within the show, there's no plausible excuse for it.

I've said it before, though, and I'll say it yet again - I've been spoiled by other shows with strong writing, and though I sometimes might give the writers of this show a little grief about things, I do believe this is one of the better written shows out there, and they don't take nearly as many lazy shortcuts as a lot of other shows do, nor do they riddle the writing with cliches the way a lot of other writers do. And when they do give us a cliche, it's in a wink-wink self-aware sort of way, not in a way that suggests they expect us to buy it.

haldrey

[11]Jul 14, 2010
    • level: 22
    Bicketybam wrote:

A shake of all those programs. Whse 13 is a great parody of various of those "serious" scy fy shows

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[12]Jul 14, 2010

[QUOTE="amaryllis88"]

Jemadari wrote:

I too had an issue with Leena not speaking up. But more importantly, I thought that Ms. Fredericks would comment more specifically on what Leena should expect going forward as being the victim of the pearl of wisdom. Ms. Fredericks was very specific in the Season Opener about Leena's situation, however, she was very kryptic about what Leena's ultimate fate would be. This intrigues me as I am wondering if Leena's condition will make her a threat to the others and Warehouse 13. If so,knowing this could potentially be the situation, why didn't Ms Fredericks warn somebody? I guess we gotta stay tuned...

amaryllis88 wrote:
    What Myka did for him at the end was so sweet! I doubt they're going to go down the romantic path, I see it as more of a friends thing than anything else. And yeah, I liked the episode, especially the effects during, and when they were about to go to commercial break.
    I loved the episode as well. The writing in this show is superb!

TankLike

[13]Jul 15, 2010
    • level: 7

Well guys. I didn't like that episode all that much. I mean it was funny
    "With great power comes great responsibilty... [everyone's looking @ Myka] ... What?"
    but the episode didn't have a nice flow. Everything just seemed out of tune and overly constructed. Maybe it's because it's been like forever since I watched season 1 but I have a lot of trouble getting into the groove the first season had.

The things that bothered me were these:

- Leena and Claudia: As I said previously I don't get what Leena's part in this show is anyway. And while I love Claudia this whole "Claudia was mad at Leena for choosing her as her go-to stolen identity and by doing so jeopardizing Claudia's future in the Warehouse" was totally stupid.
    First of all: Since Leena wasn't really in control there's no way one can blame her for who she chose or didn't. Second: Leena was basically the main victim: Being forced to do stuff by an artifact isn't that much of a dream come true I'd suppose. And Claudia should know that. And then there's this: We all have to work with people we can't stand. But we play nice to get the job done. Bi***ing makes it harder for everyone (especially the people around you you actually do like). And while Claudia's young she's also very intelligent. So I didn't buy her behavior.
    And the whole speach Claudia gave Leena seemed wooden too. I really don't think it's that easy to tell a more or less strange person your feelings. "You almost made me loose my family..." sounds strange in that case. For both of them. Leena's never really been part of the team it seems and Claudia isn't in the Warehouse long enough to consider all of them there family. Artie maybe, but Pete and Myka? Doubt that.

-Myka and Pete: I'm glad they get along more or less (good enough so it's not awkward, bad enough it's still interesting) but the whole "We're a big happy family" end nearly made me puke. They do have a stressful job and an enormous ammount of responsibility. But still the last scene was way over the top. Everyone gathering to celebrate that they did it would've been ok in a bar or whatever. But in the B&B?
    Myke getting the comic was totally cute though. That would've been enough in my opinion.
    And I really can't picture them being together. Not just because they have more of a brother-sister thing going (like Tony and Kate on NCIS) but because of their job: They spend so much time together anyway. Letting those two get together would make that 24/7. And that would be a huge strain on any relationship but especially in this line of work.

The whole Artie/McPhearson-story I actually liked. Though it seemed a bit confusing because Artie never really explained how it was happening it did give us (and propably him) some sort of closure. The gesture with the watch was over the top again, a letter would've been enough in my opinion.
    The scene with the watch would've been cool if this was an artifact Artie didn't know (which of course is impossible. he had to know it since McPhearson wrote they were arguing about it) and it could bring McPhearson back in some way (maybe downloading his soul into another body) - you know? Just for the sake of the possibility.

Leena not saying anything earlier I do understand. In a way she feels guilty about what happened and she doesn't really know what Mrs. F did mean when she told her to contact her if anything happens. So she wanted to make sure there really was something to report.
    Maybe we'll fnally find out why this thing is called Pearl of Wisdom...

Edited on 07/15/2010 3:01am
    Edited 4 total times.

nolefan32

[14]Jul 15, 2010

TankLike wrote:

Well guys. I didn't like that episode all that much. I mean it was funny
    "With great power comes great responsibilty... [everyone's looking @ Myka] ... What?"
    but the episode didn't have a nice flow. Everything just seemed out of tune and overly constructed. Maybe it's because it's been like forever since I watched season 1 but I have a lot of trouble getting into the groove the first season had.

The things that bothered me were these:

- Leena and Claudia: As I said previously I don't get what Leena's part in this show is anyway. And while I love Claudia this whole "Claudia was mad at Leena for choosing her as her go-to stolen identity and by doing so jeopardizing Claudia's future in the Warehouse" was totally stupid.
    First of all: Since Leena wasn't really in control there's no way one can blame her for who she chose or didn't. Second: Leena was basically the main victim: Being forced to do stuff by an artifact isn't that much of a dream come true I'd suppose. And Claudia should know that. And then there's this: We all have to work with people we can't stand. But we play nice to get the job done. Bi***ing makes it harder for everyone (especially the people around you you actually do like). And while Claudia's young she's also very intelligent. So I didn't buy her behavior.
    And the whole speach Claudia gave Leena seemed wooden too. I really don't think it's that easy to tell a more or less strange person your feelings. "You almost made me loose my family..." sounds strange in that case. For both of them. Leena's never really been part of the team it seems and Claudia isn't in the Warehouse long enough to consider all of them there family. Artie maybe, but Pete and Myka? Doubt that.

-Myka and Pete: I'm glad they get along more or less (good enough so it's not awkward, bad enough it's still interesting) but the whole "We're a big happy family" end nearly made me puke. They do have a stressful job and an enormous ammount of responsibility. But still the last scene was way over the top. Everyone gathering to celebrate that they did it would've been ok in a bar or whatever. But in the B&B?
    Myke getting the comic was totally cute though. That would've been enough in my opinion.
    And I really can't picture them being together. Not just because they have more of a brother-sister thing going (like Tony and Kate on NCIS) but because of their job: They spend so much time together anyway. Letting those two get together would make that 24/7. And that would be a huge strain on any relationship but especially in this line of work.

The whole Artie/McPhearson-story I actually liked. Though it seemed a bit confusing because Artie never really explained how it was happening it did give us (and propably him) some sort of closure. The gesture with the watch was over the top again, a letter would've been enough in my opinion.
    The scene with the watch would've been cool if this was an artifact Artie didn't know (which of course is impossible. he had to know it since McPhearson wrote they were arguing about it) and it could bring McPhearson back in some way (maybe downloading his soul into another body) - you know? Just for the sake of the possibility.

Leena not saying anything earlier I do understand. In a way she feels guilty about what happened and she doesn't really know what Mrs. F did mean when she told her to contact her if anything happens. So she wanted to make sure there really was something to report.
    Maybe we'll fnally find out why this thing is called Pearl of Wisdom...

I do agree that the whole "you made me almost lose the only family I ever had" thing was way over the top, and for the very reason you noted, because it's just not that easy to get that personal. That's one of those things that only happens on TV shows. And given her background, Claudia doesn't strike me as she should be the sharing type, instead, she should be the distrusting, cautious type. It was also a weak line because the Warehouse crew isn't the only family Claudia has, she's got her brother. Granted, he spent most of her life in another dimension, but she remained connected to him through her efforts to rescue him, so they've got a bond (and honestly I'm surprised he doesn't get mentioned a little more, i.e., she at least has phone calls or e-mails with him - I don't expect them to pay the actor to be in more episodes, just acknowledge the character's existence and Claudia's bond to him at times other than when she's on the run after having been accused of being a sleeper agent).

But I didn't find it surprising that Claudia might take things out on Leena. Like I said, with what Claudia's been through in her life, I'd expect she'd be rather distrusting and cautious, and so the littlest thing where she feels violated and I see her putting walls up. Not to mention she's young, and thus more rash in her emotional reactions. What was a little unrealistic is that one little speech from Myka and suddenly everything is all love and puppies again.

I also agree with you that *everyone* gathering in Pete's room for the last scene was a bit much. That scene would have probably played out better had it been just Pete and Myka, since they've got the tightest bonds (though that might have felt a little too much like setting up a budding romance between those two). Maybe Pete, Myka and Artie, just having Artie there to sort if diffuse the whole "they're getting romantic" thing.

As for the Pearl of Wisdom, well the name makes sense as "pearls of wisdom" is a popular metaphor for bits of knowledge; but yeah, the further question is why was it a pearl in the first place, and thus a pearl of "wisdom"? Though the choice of name may ultimately have no significance, as it's entirely possible we may not see the thing again.

Edited on 07/15/2010 5:37am

TankLike

[15]Jul 15, 2010
    • level: 7

I think it's more the combined effort of Myka's words and witnessing someone who got hurt by someone who really liked (or in this case loved) her forgiving that somebody. one alone might not been enough.

I don't know. it's kinda strange. if Claudia is that messed up how come she instantly liked Myka and Pete? Or is it because Leena is kind of in her turf (in the Warehouse with Artie) while Myka and Pete are field agents and gone most of the time?

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't have thought twice about a romance thing if Myka had given Pete the comic and they would have sat downstairs and read it together (or she would have read someting different). It still would have been a cute scene without them lying on the bed together... What was that all about?

And just to make this clear: There were still a lot of things I liked in this episode. We're just miles away from the greatness the show has proven to be capable of

Edited on 07/15/2010 8:31am
    Edited 2 total times.

nolefan32

[16]Jul 15, 2010
    TankLike wrote:

And just to make this clear: There were still a lot of things I liked in this episode. We're just miles away from the greatness the show has proven to be capable of

I second that emotion all the way around, and have felt that way about both episodes we've seen so far this season (though between the two, I thought this one was the stronger). Last season, we had absolute gems like Duped, Breakdown and Nevermore. I readily admit it, I'm spoiled by great television like what this show is capable of, so I too can be extra critical of episodes that slip a notch or two below that.

And yeah, they didn't need to have Pete and Myka on the bed together. They could have played the scene differently (I like your thoughts about just the two of them reading the comic together at the table) and gotten nearly the same impact, without the overtones of a potential relationship (which you know that moment played as is got some Mete/Pyka/Battimer/Lerring shippers fired up).

OzgurKaplan

[17]Jul 15, 2010
    • level: 6

There was a very similar story in Sanctuary.It was like seeing the same thing twice.

Uthek

[18]Jul 16, 2010
    • level: 1
    Anyone know the song or artist of that song Claudia was listening to? I've run what lyrics you hear through google but that hasn't resulted in anything useful. -.-;

nolefan32

[19]Jul 16, 2010
    Just an observation about how quickly discussions have dropped off the radar. Last week's episode has 74 posts, and as I recall, we were on the second page of discussions before the night was over. For this episode, we're still under 20, and it's been almost a week and we're just now starting to fill up the second page.

Jacks_Son

[20]Jul 16, 2010

Quick statement: The actors who play Pete and Myka have already gone on record as saying the writers have no intention of putting them together. They're to be BFF's.