Warehouse 13 Forums

Syfy (ended 2014)

Official Discussion Thread: Mild Mannered (possible spoilers)

nolefan32

[21]Jul 16, 2010
    • level: 11
    Jacks_Son wrote:

Quick statement: The actors who play Pete and Myka have already gone on record as saying the writers have no intention of putting them together. They're to be BFF's.

Yeah, I've seen those reports, too. And hope that remains the case, because I recall interviews with Joss Whedon where he said that Angel and Cordy were to always be just friends, and yet that ultimately was not the case, either. Things can change. But my bigger concern here is getting shippers all excited with little suggestions that Pete and Myka will become a couple a la Booth and Brennan, when that's not the plan (at least for now). The moment on the bed could easily be taken as such.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Jacks_Son

[22]Jul 16, 2010
    • level: 13

nolefan32 wrote:
    The moment on the bed could easily be taken as such.

I suppose if you think about shipping, then that moment could have been taken like that. I for one, didn't think that. I felt it was just Myka and Pete sharing a special moment together with regards to his emotions about THAT comic; his "White Whale". Myka got that for him and she wanted it to be a special gift to a friend/brother and she wanted to share that moment with him. I saw it like two buddies sharing a moment.

The fact that it was a bed as opposed to a table or chairs, indicates a certain intimacy, and by intimacy, I mean "something of a personal or private nature excluding others". I don't view it as a prelude to a sexual relationship.

Edited on 07/16/2010 8:48am

TankLike

[23]Jul 16, 2010
    • level: 7

I hope you guys are right.

And while I did like Angel and Cordelia separately I think putting them together was a mistake. Maybe the only real one Joss ever made as far as I'm concerned. And the reason it bothered me was the whole dynamic of it: The Scoobies changing the partners inside their clique looks too much like soap opera in my mind.

Of course I realize it's hard in a situation like that: having a secret life full of threats and things you cannot explain to the average person - it's only natural you turn towards somebody who knows the real you.

And that's the parallel to WH13: Of course it's not unrealistic. Just ordinary...

Jacks_Son

[24]Jul 16, 2010
    • level: 13

Unfortunately, IMHO, Joss never actually put Cordy and Angel together. It was inferred that they had feelings for each other, and Angel DID pine for her and felt betrayed when she was with Connor. However, the only thing they ever did was acknowledge how they felt and finally kissed ONCE when Cordy died. If I recall correctly, she said something about wanting to help "Her man".

tjaman

[25]Jul 19, 2010
    • level: 32
    So ... your superpower is in your outside-the-pance underpantz. How many gym classes was that for these writers, I wonder?

kanniballl

[26]Jul 19, 2010
    • level: 18

Jacks_Son wrote:

Unfortunately, IMHO, Joss never actually put Cordy and Angel together. It was inferred that they had feelings for each other, and Angel DID pine for her and felt betrayed when she was with Connor. However, the only thing they ever did was acknowledge how they felt and finally kissed ONCE when Cordy died. If I recall correctly, she said something about wanting to help "Her man".

Angel made his feelings known (to either the viewers or someone else on-camera) a while ago, but before he could get the courage to say something Grusolog moved in. And since she appeared to like Gru, he kept his mouth shut even though a completely stranger/demon commented that he should speak up.

In one of the season finales, Angel and Cordelia were going to meet and profess their feelings for eachother. This was after Lorne told Angel that Cordelia did in fact love him too. But Connor tazed Angel and Cordelia got called up by the Powers that Be before they could meet.

When Cordelia came back the next season and started getting with Connor, that was no longer Cordelia but the Big Bad inhabiting her body.

As you mention, she already died by the time they finally kissed. But that was the first time (since her disappearance) that Angel and her actually together. So, almost 2 seasons later.

kanniballl

[27]Jul 19, 2010

A good episode, I loved that Pete was digging the whole comic thing. It reminds me of myself, I got into comics a few years ago... and though most would say I'm too old for them I still like them. I'd also be jazzed if I was encountering something that worked like one of my favorite comics.

Seeing Simon and Kaylee (Sean and Jewel) on a sci fi show together again was a nice nod. Though I'm not sure how much I'm enjoying the fact that every episode is guest-starring someone from another sci fi show. It takes away from some of the immersion if I'm constantly seeing someone from another show with a semi-large role. They need to work with more unknowns.

It's a problem I have with recent crime shows like NCIS and such. If you see someone that used to star on another TV show (even for just 1 season) and they're not getting oodles of air time... they're probably the criminal.

Stick to unknowns, the show is good enough on its own that it doesn't need to be propped up by the sci fi star of the week.

I wonder where Myka got the comic?

- Found it at that comic shop? Odd since I'm sure Pete would've looked for it as he was reading that series there.

- The Warehouse 1st edition archive? That's probably a big no-no, not that they're artifacts but they probably need them there for a reason.

- Her contacts from working in her parents' old book store? Possible I guess, they have people whose job it is to track down rare books / prints / editions. Maybe she remembered someone.

- etc

Edited on 07/19/2010 9:26am
    Edited 2 total times.

nolefan32

[28]Jul 19, 2010
    kanniballl wrote:

It's a problem I have with recent crime shows like NCIS and such. If you see someone that used to star on another TV show (even for just 1 season) and they're not getting oodles of air time... they're probably the criminal.

Those who also frequent the Castle board will back me up on this, that's one of my (and many other's) frequent complaints about that particular show, that it's too easy each week to spot the killer, and one of the tell-tale signs is that it's the biggest star in the episode. Didn't help matters when they had the Devil himself from Reaper in an episode; guy practically had a neon sign over his head saying "I DID IT!!!!!" And yeah, there are a lot of other shows that follow that same path.

The good news with WH13 is that there generally isn't a "criminal," that's never the point, so even when we can guess who's got the artifact, the fun of figuring out just what the artifact is and what it does, and watching Pete and Myka go through the steps of figuring out out and neutralizing it, that still remains.

kanniballl

[29]Jul 19, 2010

nolefan32 wrote:
    kanniballl wrote:

Those who also frequent the Castle board will back me up on this, that's one of my (and many other's) frequent complaints about that particular show, that it's too easy each week to spot the killer, and one of the tell-tale signs is that it's the biggest star in the episode.

I think I annoy my brother. We watch NCIS together, and they're really bad with that so I call it before they get more than a couple of lines out.

Oh, Victoria Pratt (super model, Mutant X, Cleopartra 2525, etc) is an airline attendant. She's the assasin.

Oh, Claudia Black (Farscape, Stargate SG-1, etc) is a bar owner who only spoke for about 20 seconds. She's the killer.

Oh Robert Patrick (Terminator) just happens to be showing up. I'm *sure* it's just for a bit part that doesn't mean anything... honest.

etc

There are some outliers, either purposeful red herrings or because they get more screen time later as a truly distraught lover / spouse etc. But it bugs me to no end when shows do that.

Edited on 07/19/2010 11:26am

kanniballl

[30]Jul 19, 2010

nolefan32 wrote:
    kanniballl wrote:

Those who also frequent the Castle board will back me up on this, that's one of my (and many other's) frequent complaints about that particular show, that it's too easy each week to spot the killer, and one of the tell-tale signs is that it's the biggest star in the episode. Didn't help matters when they had the Devil himself from Reaper in an episode; guy practically had a neon sign over his head saying "I DID IT!!!!!"

I have to catch up on my Castle. I started watching it early on but got caught up with other stuff later.

One recent episode I did see, Mitch Pileggi from the X-Files (Dir. Skinner) appeared. It was the fake "spy" vacation episode.

But when they started giving him so many lines up front and in the jail cell I figured it wasn't him. He got to play his cool / crucial part so the big pay-off monologue at the end wasn't a requirement.

So I was hoping the rest of the show was like that, a big name might just a funny red herring with a pay-off scene in the middle instead of the solution at the end.

Sounds like I was wrong

Edited on 07/19/2010 11:41am
    Edited 2 total times.

TankLike

[31]Jul 19, 2010

I'm not really someone who watches TV shows to solve a mystery. I've got books for that. I'm watching 99% of the shows because of the cast and how they interact...

nolefan32

[32]Jul 19, 2010
    TankLike wrote:

I'm not really someone who watches TV shows to solve a mystery. I've got books for that. I'm watching 99% of the shows because of the cast and how they interact...

And that is also why I continue to tune into Castle, even though the writing tends to be pretty cut-and-paste from every other TV show you've ever seen and the mysteries are rarely even remotely mysterious. It's saved week after week by some really good performances by pretty much the entire cast, and they are indeed electric the way they play off of each other.

And maybe that's why I like WH13 so much; the basic premise of the show is so unique, it sort of forces the writers to be more creative every week. There are moments when the show does seem to go cut-and-paste on me, like this season's premiere (i.e., how they tried to solve way to much and get way too much started up all in the same episode), but still yet, there's something fundamentally fresh about it. And I really think it does come back to the basic premise. The mystery isn't a whodunnit but a WHATdunnit, and really even that's just a McGuffin. And when they do have an actual villain, it's still not a mystery about who it is, but what they've got up their sleeve, etc. It's not quite Whedonesque, but it aspires to be, and I really like that about it. Unlike most other shows where the writers seem perfectly content going back to the Encyclopedia o' Overused Plotlines.

nolefan32

[33]Jul 19, 2010
    kanniballl wrote:

nolefan32 wrote:
    kanniballl wrote:

Those who also frequent the Castle board will back me up on this, that's one of my (and many other's) frequent complaints about that particular show, that it's too easy each week to spot the killer, and one of the tell-tale signs is that it's the biggest star in the episode. Didn't help matters when they had the Devil himself from Reaper in an episode; guy practically had a neon sign over his head saying "I DID IT!!!!!"

I have to catch up on my Castle. I started watching it early on but got caught up with other stuff later.

One recent episode I did see, Mitch Pileggi from the X-Files (Dir. Skinner) appeared. It was the fake "spy" vacation episode.

But when they started giving him so many lines up front and in the jail cell I figured it wasn't him. He got to play his cool / crucial part so the big pay-off monologue at the end wasn't a requirement.

So I was hoping the rest of the show was like that, a big name might just a funny red herring with a pay-off scene in the middle instead of the solution at the end.

Sounds like I was wrong

Yeah, the one you saw was the rare exception - the one that seemed to be in response to countless boards where people have been complaining that we like Castle well enough, but it's always way too easy to pick the killer. It's usually the big star, and they're usually the first or second person Kate and Castle interview in relation to the case. There've been some really pleasant exceptions, though, like the one you saw - there's a two-parter from the second season entitled "Tick, Tick ..."/"Boom" that was an absolute standout - you may want to check out that episode. It's extremely popular with most of the fans, and the ones who list other episodes higher than it are usually fans who like a specific character and the episode they like best is the one where that character is front-and-center.

In all fairness to Castle, though, it's not a horrible show. The writing can be rather cliched and it can be too easy to pick out the bad guy, but at the same time, it's light and witty, and Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic are electric together. A lot of the rest of the cast put in some stellar performances each week, too, even when they're only on the screen for a moment here or there.

TankLike

[34]Jul 19, 2010

Laney had some of the funniest lines in Castle. And the other detectives are great too.

Actually that is what bothers me a bit on Warehouse 13: The main characters and Artie are great. But Leena and Claudia (and Mrs. F to some extend too) don't really feel like part of the (extended, not-field-agents) team. Looking back there were few scenes where one would think: Yeah, I couldn't have pictured that one without them.

Up until now I basically watch it because of Pete, Myka and Artie. The other ones are... there. Nothing more.
    It's different in Castle: The rest of the cast enrichs the whole show so much: Laney as Kate's best friend, Ryan and Esposito (who basically are a team on their own) as the cops who seem to have a life outside work, Castle's family who keeps him on the ground.
    The relationships are more layered and complex without reminding one of a soap opera.

danharr

[35]Jul 20, 2010
    • level: 45

I liked it just fine glad the Claudia hates Lenna go pout thing is over and Claudia was hitting home runs with the pop culture references. Nice seeing so many stars from old scifi favorites and the super hero storyline was funny.

mattgus

[36]Jul 20, 2010
    • level: 14
    [QUOTE="MOSTCAPABLEONE"]
    Bicketybam wrote:
    Wow... a collection of stars from killed TV shows. Jewel, Sean and Conrad... when they were all together in the coffee shop I wasn't sure what show I was watching, Warehouse 13, The Dresden Files, Firefly or SG Atlantis.

Too funny...[/QUOTE i loved the dresden files...i recorded all of them,so watch every once in a while...good show...i like fanasy and this fits the bill...i had some firefly nostalgia too...