Warehouse 13 Forums

Syfy (ended 2014)

Official Discussion Thread: Regrets (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Aug 28, 2009
    • level: 101
    Please post all general and specific discussion of the 9/1/09 episode "Regrets" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

amaryllis88

[2]Sep 2, 2009
    • level: 20

I really liked this episode! I knew Claudia was gonna do *something* to get into trouble, and sure enough, she had to try on an artifact, maybe it'll dawn on her that these artifacts stored in the warehouse are actually dangerous, and there's a reason behind them being stored there. Loved that she had to write it over and over on a blackboard, not that *that* would teach her a lesson, but I bet being stuck up on that pier definitely taught her not to mess around with things.

Loved that she called Artie "Artemus Maxximus." The whole prison thing was quite interesting, also interesting that it was built on top of a quartz mine shaft. That sorta reminded me of Stephen King's "Desperation," not sure if anybody is familiar with that one, the book is way better than the movie. I liked how Pete & Myka were hallucinating, and add to that the storm comin', and the whole prison acting as a tuning fork, quite the ideas there.

I guess nobody has ever tried to make amends with their ghosts. What caused the suicide guy to reawaken and kill the doctor? Was he still under the prison's quartz-induced hallucination thing? Also, was it the removal of the cross that caused everything to go awry, and not necessarily the removal of that circle thing? I guess Pete had to put the cross back into place again to counter-act something?

Oh, and how did the prisoner get his necklace back? I thought it was confiscated by Pete & Myka. I loved the ending, Myka burning up the envelope, and just believing that she did everything correctly in the whole situation. Pete taking them out for ice-cream.

akamidnight

[3]Sep 2, 2009
    • level: 13
    This episode was even better than 'Duped'. Fave bit? The Pete/dad & Myka/Sam confrontations and the little bit at the end, with Pete taking the girls out for ice cream and Myka burning the report Yay for closure!

amaryllis88 wrote:

What caused the suicide guy to reawaken and kill the doctor? Was he still under the prison's quartz-induced hallucination thing? Also, was it the removal of the cross that caused everything to go awry, and not necessarily the removal of that circle thing? I guess Pete had to put the cross back into place again to counter-act something? Oh, and how did the prisoner get his necklace back? I thought it was confiscated by Pete & Myka.

The suicide guy didn't wake up, it was the doctor who was hallucinating. He felt guilty for not saving him I think... I think the cross was stopping the quartz stuff from acting up, which is why everything went haywire when it was removed. What I don't get is, why did the cross stop working? It never left the building. Wasn't the whole building affected?

I assume that when Myka and Pete figured out it had nothing to do with the necklace they gave it back. Or maybe it's a continuity error.

Carycomic

[4]Sep 2, 2009
    I was very impressed by Myka's deduction, re: the quartz. From what I've read on the subject, quartz crystals are supposed to be as good--maybe even better--at storing psychic energy as they are at amplifying/conducting electrical energy (for gadgets like the wireless radiotelegraph).
    Edited on 09/02/2009 11:21am

Nitro29

[5]Sep 2, 2009
    • level: 12
    The scene when they first discover the doctor killed himself, I assume Pete hands the Warden the bag off screen because the next shot is Pete taking the bag back, but the Warden has necklace in her hands. I assume she gave it back.

haldrey

[6]Sep 2, 2009
    • level: 22
    Superb episode, the best to date. This show is definitively heading for a second season.

haraldpaulsen

[7]Sep 2, 2009
    • level: 3

How funny is it that this week they also have a cast member from Eureka? :-)

Will we see someone else from Eureka next week?

Carycomic

[8]Sep 2, 2009
    haraldpaulsen wrote:

How funny is it that this week they also have a cast member from Eureka? :-)

Will we see someone else from Eureka next week?

I know who I _would like_ to see on a future episode. A Federal marshal who "coincidentally" resembles Jack Carter competing with Pete and Myka to bring in an escaped prisoner who just "happens" to look like Fargo!

And, what artifact does he have that makes this prisoner so dangerous? Either a pocket watch that once belonged to Franz Mesmer; or a piece of philosopher's stone that once belonged to Sir Francis Bacon. But, to paraphrase my opening statement, that's just a personal preference.

Edited on 09/02/2009 4:05pm
    Edited 2 total times.

amaryllis88

[9]Sep 3, 2009
    akamidnight wrote:
    The suicide guy didn't wake up, it was the doctor who was hallucinating. He felt guilty for not saving him I think... I think the cross was stopping the quartz stuff from acting up, which is why everything went haywire when it was removed. What I don't get is, why did the cross stop working? It never left the building. Wasn't the whole building affected?

I assume that when Myka and Pete figured out it had nothing to do with the necklace they gave it back. Or maybe it's a continuity error.

Oh ok, just a hallucination, because they were hallucinating people that they *couldn't* save, that makes sense. I guess what threw me there was that us seeing the guy actually get up off the gurney, and physically harm the doctor. As opposed to the other hallucinations they were more transparent-looking, until the very end, when they looked solid, or corporeal. Hopefully that sentence made sense.

I don't know much about the stone cross, maybe MOSTCAPABLEONE and Kalel18 can educate us, provide us with their insight once they view the episode. They tend to have really good explanations for things. Maybe it had to be in the Warden's office?

So, once an artifact is placed inside the bag or that container, it's supposed to deactivate, I'm guessing, or diffuse the power of it, but doesn't it also mean it's in that purple goo stuff? So wouldn't the necklace be covered in purple goo, I'm sure they washed it off or somethin' before giving it back to the prisoner. Ok, answered my own question.

Jemadari

[10]Sep 3, 2009
    • level: 12

I really like this episode and I hope we see Myka officially move on from her dead ex sure sure burned the report showing that she doesn't care what they think she knows she did the right thing but if she could actually say she wasn't gonna hold on to the past anymore that would be great

And the simplest way to explain the quartz is that they were sending out evil vibrations and the cross also quartz was sending out positive vibrations on the same frequency and the two canceled each other out

Carycomic

[11]Sep 3, 2009
    Jemadari wrote:

I really like this episode and I hope we see Myka officially move on from her dead ex sure sure burned the report showing that she doesn't care what they think she knows she did the right thing but if she could actually say she wasn't gonna hold on to the past anymore that would be great

Well, between the pep talk she got from Pete and the similar one she got from the real ghost of her ex-partner (remember Houdini's wallet?), I think she's taken a strong first step. Just like Artie did.

:-)

Edited on 09/03/2009 7:10pm
    Edited 2 total times.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[12]Sep 4, 2009
    [QUOTE="amaryllis88"]
    akamidnight wrote:

I don't know much about the stone cross, maybe MOSTCAPABLEONE and Kalel18 can educate us, provide us with their insight once they view the episode. They tend to have really good explanations for things. Maybe it had to be in the Warden's office?

Hi amaryllis88 and akamidnight. Regarding the explanation about the stone cross. In the scene when Pete found the dead prison doctor's recording device, Myka asked Pete to play it. When Pete played it, Myka noticed in the background noises which she called "static sound". When they called Artie to get an explanation of the noise, Artie stated that the noise probably came from either electrical interference or the vibration of a heavy metal or mineral. Myka used her girl scout skills to make a metal detector from the prison guard's walkie talkie to detect the metal in the prison that was causing the static vibrations they heard on the doctor's recording device which would be the artifact. However, do you remember when they tested it, Myka stated that it was not working cause it was crackling everywhere? It was then Myka remembered the entire prison was built on a quartz mine.

From that point, Myka and Pete used deductive reasoning. According to Myka and Pete the prison was opened and then there was a hurricane. After the hurricane, many people committed suicide. The prison got a new warden that was very religious and swore he would end all of the suicides and all of the sudden of all the suicides stopped. The warden dies, they pack up all off his stuff and put it in storage, a new warden comes in and the suicides start again. Pete stated, "maybe the old bible banger had something to cure the crazy". I guess that was a clue for the audience. I believe at that point, they knew they had to restore the old warden's office to its previous state as something he had in his office was previously counteracting the vibration of the quartz. After both Myka and Pete went through their own personal deepest regret hallucinations, they both remembered in the picture they saw of the old warden while he was in his office, there was a huge cross on the wall. They placed the huge cross on the wall exactly where it was shown to be in the picture believing that would probably end the vibrations/hallucinations and it did.

Sorry for the lengthy response but I had previously stated that I would be more thorough in September. I hope my explanation was clear enough. Any additional questions, please let me know.

akamidnight

[13]Sep 5, 2009
    Thanks MOSTCAPABLEONE, I got all that in the episode... What I don't understand is, why wasn't the cross working while it was in storage? It was still inside the prison, wasn't it?

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[14]Sep 5, 2009
    akamidnight wrote:
    Thanks MOSTCAPABLEONE, I got all that in the episode... What I don't understand is, why wasn't the cross working while it was in storage? It was still inside the prison, wasn't it?

Yes, but as I stated in my earlier post, once the cross was moved from its prior location in the old warden's office, the suicides started again. Myka and Pete deduced that the warden's office had to be reset to what is was like before they removed his items to storage. For the vibrations of the quartz to stop, the cross had to be in a specific location to interact with the quartz correctly. Imagine two equally strong magnets equally distance from a piece of metal. The metal would not move. You remove one of the magnets and place it in a different location but near the same area, the piece of metal would move towards the closest magnet. Keeping the cross in the same room was not enough to stop the vibrations. The cross needed to be in the same specific location seen in the warden's picture.

MichaudMR

[15]Sep 5, 2009
    • level: 17

I recall the segment when Artie was trying to communicate with Myka and Pete through heavy interference. He was telling everything must be in perfect alignment, on the correct frequency etc. and then they lost the connection.

One thing I'm wondering about is if the old Warden knew what he was doing or they just lucked into a solution with the quartz cross?

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[16]Sep 5, 2009
    MichaudMR wrote:

I recall the segment when Artie was trying to communicate with Myka and Pete through heavy interference. He was telling everything must be in perfect alignment, on the correct frequency etc. and then they lost the connection.

One thing I'm wondering about is if the old Warden knew what he was doing or they just lucked into a solution with the quartz cross?

I was wondering that as well. It was never made clear. The new warden said that the old warden was a very religious man and had the inmates do regular prayer and that he promised to end the suicides there....which he did. So it leaves you wondering whether he knew what he was doing or was the power of prayer involved.

Kalel18

[17]Sep 6, 2009
    • level: 11

Hi everybody.

Well, I'm finally chiming in. I didn't have a chance to watch the episode till Saturday. As usual, there has been some thoughtful discussion. So I'll just add a few comments.

amaryllis88 wrote:
    I guess nobody has ever tried to make amends with their ghosts. What caused the suicide guy to reawaken and kill the doctor? Was he still under the prison's quartz-induced hallucination thing? Also, was it the removal of the cross that caused everything to go awry, and not necessarily the removal of that circle thing? I guess Pete had to put the cross back into place again to counter-act something?

Although it was never fully explained, I got the impression that the removal of the large Ouroborus artifact (seen in old photo) and its replacement with the crystal cross was purely a symbolic gesture, made by a God fearing warden, intended to replace a questionable pagan symbol with a positve Christian symbol. Was the Ouroborus made from crystal also? If so, perhaps it was focusing the negative emotions that caused the suicides. But that line of reasoning is only hinted at by the photo and is never followed up. We later find out that it was the removal of the cross that allows all the negative vibrations, causing the hallucinations and the ensuing havoc. The replacement of the cross neutralizes the negative vibrations permeating the prison. So, the removal of the pagan artifact would seem to be incidental, and simply symbolic in nature. John Hill even says, when Pete takes the necklace from him, that it holds no intrinsic power, that it is purely symbolic.

In mythology the Ouroborus symbol has several different meanings, but often represents the unending cycle of nature, between destruction and creation, life and death, the shedding of the old skin, renewal and wisdom. So it definitely had special symbolism for Pete and Myka. They both shed the guilt they were harboring over the loss of their loved ones, gained understanding and knowledge, and were symbolicly renewed.

amaryllis88 wrote:
    Oh, and how did the prisoner get his necklace back? I thought it was confiscated by Pete & Myka. I loved the ending, Myka burning up the envelope, and just believing that she did everything correctly in the whole situation. Pete taking them out for ice-cream.
    Nitro29 wrote:
    The scene when they first discover the doctor killed himself, I assume Pete hands the Warden the bag off screen because the next shot is Pete taking the bag back, but the Warden has necklace in her hands. I assume she gave it back.
    akamidnight wrote:

I agree that it was probably a continuity error. Pete has the evidence bag in hand, and is then seen grabbing it back from the warden. Or, perhaps he actually slid the necklace out of the bag and into her hand, and it just appears that he is grabbing the bag, due to a quick cut, or bad edit. Later in the scene it appears that the necklace is still in the bag! Bad edit/continuity!

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Yes, but as I stated in my earlier post, once the cross was moved from its prior location in the old warden's office, the suicides started again. Myka and Pete deduced that the warden's office had to be reset to what is was like before they removed his items to storage. For the vibrations of the quartz to stop, the cross had to be in a specific location to interact with the quartz correctly. Imagine two equally strong magnets equally distance from a piece of metal. The metal would not move. You remove one of the magnets and place it in a different location but near the same area, the piece of metal would move towards the closest magnet. Keeping the cross in the same room was not enough to stop the vibrations. The cross needed to be in the same specific location seen in the warden's picture.

MCO - At first I thought the cross just needed to be back in contact with the walls of the prison to absorb the negative vibrations, but you may be right. It's all about location. Location, location, location!

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    MichaudMR wrote:

I was wondering that as well. It was never made clear. The new warden said that the old warden was a very religious man and had the inmates do regular prayer and that he promised to end the suicides there....which he did. So it leaves you wondering whether he knew what he was doing or was the power of prayer involved.

I think he got lucky in the placement. As I stated above he wanted to replace something pagan with something Christian. But you can never discount the power of prayer.

Edited on 09/07/2009 12:54pm

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[18]Sep 6, 2009
    Kalel18 wrote:

I think he got lucky in the placement. As I stated above he wanted to replace something pagan with something Christian. But you can never discount the power of payer.

Hi Kalel, I totally agree. On another note, I thought it was quite clever how the writers intertwined religious faith, hallucinations fueled by regret and atonement, and the discovery of another artifact.

amaryllis88

[19]Sep 6, 2009

Thanks Kalel18 for your explanations, they make lots of sense!! And you too MOSTCAPABLEONE. (And I'm a fan of lengthy explanations, as I tend to be a lengthy writer myself.)

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Hi amaryllis88...However, do you remember when they tested it, Myka stated that it was not working cause it was crackling everywhere? It was then Myka remembered the entire prison was built on a quartz mine.....Sorry for the lengthy response but I had previously stated that I would be more thorough in September. I hope my explanation was clear enough. Any additional questions, please let me know.

Hi !! Thanks, I knew y'all would come to the rescue of explaining things in a way that it made sense. I do remember, that makes more sense now that I think about it more, and having you explain it. And all that stuff about being in alignment, frequency, and the stuff that Artie was spouting off, but it kind of got lost in translation.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[20]Sep 7, 2009
    amaryllis88 wrote:

Thanks Kalel18 for your explanations, they make lots of sense!! And you too MOSTCAPABLEONE. (And I'm a fan of lengthy explanations, as I tend to be a lengthy writer myself.)

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Hi amaryllis88...However, do you remember when they tested it, Myka stated that it was not working cause it was crackling everywhere? It was then Myka remembered the entire prison was built on a quartz mine.....Sorry for the lengthy response but I had previously stated that I would be more thorough in September. I hope my explanation was clear enough. Any additional questions, please let me know.

Hi !! Thanks, I knew y'all would come to the rescue of explaining things in a way that it made sense. I do remember, that makes more sense now that I think about it more, and having you explain it. And all that stuff about being in alignment, frequency, and the stuff that Artie was spouting off, but it kind of got lost in translation.

You're welcome! Anytime!