Warehouse 13 Forums

Syfy (ended 2014)

Official Discussion Thread: The 40th Floor (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Aug 28, 2011
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 8/29/11 episode "The 40th Floor" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

musicman1616

[2]Aug 29, 2011
    • level: 2

Poor Steve... I like him, but it looks like he's not coming back. I probably would have done the same thing in his position. Also, who saw Pete's mom being a regent? Wow...

gigaslayerx

[3]Aug 29, 2011
    • level: 9

FIRST SUPER SPOILER!! below

WOW WHAT ASURPRISEAT THE END! Petes mom is a regent! and what is that shackle do i wonder? a

I wonder now the source of petes "VIBES" and maybe he has those powers because one of his parents is a regent. I wonder if one of jinxs parents is a regent.

Jemadari

[4]Aug 29, 2011
    • level: 12

Captain Catherine Janeway of the starship Voyager equals pure awesomeness when she mentioned that her husband taught her about the firehose thing I figured she was Pete's mother

Mrs. Fredrick was great this episode it's nice to see that she came prepared and fully willing to 'go there'

shame about Sally I liked her even if she did butcher that southern accent

thribs

[5]Aug 30, 2011
    • level: 8

Why is the guy from the Dead Zone (Anthony Michael Hall) trying to kill them all? It was obviously him in the wheelchair!

Edited on 08/30/2011 10:36am
    Edited 6 total times.

kanniballl

[6]Aug 30, 2011
    • level: 18

Jemadari wrote:

Captain Catherine Janeway of the starship Voyager equals pure awesomeness when she mentioned that her husband taught her about the firehose thing I figured she was Pete's mother

Mrs. Fredrick was great this episode it's nice to see that she came prepared and fully willing to 'go there'

shame about Sally I liked her even if she did butcher that southern accent

This

Add to that, she sounded a bit hesitant to give her name to Myka. I figured it was because Myka might know her or recognize the name. And by the time she mentioned the firehose trick I figured it out.

Now, I wonder who is the guy in the wheel chair?

Could it be Pete's dad? Perhaps he didn't die and was healed/revived by Jane?

LordNiall

[7]Aug 30, 2011
    • level: 15
    I think the wheelchair guy has got to be the regent that Supposedly died at warehouse 2. Benedict Valda Played by Mark Sheppard
    [QUOTE="kanniballl"]

Jemadari wrote:

Now, I wonder who is the guy in the wheel chair?

Could it be Pete's dad? Perhaps he didn't die and was healed/revived by Jane?

kanniballl

[8]Aug 30, 2011

musicman1616 wrote:

Poor Steve... I like him, but it looks like he's not coming back. I probably would have done the same thing in his position. Also, who saw Pete's mom being a regent? Wow...

It was weird.

On one hand Jinx saw that that Artie, who's been at this for decades, still wouldn't cross the line. And flat out said that we don't torture.

And after Jinx sees what Mrs Frederick does, he says something to Claudia along the lines of "I don't think I can do this" or "I can't do what you guys do."

It sounded to me like he was equating what Mrs Frederick did to what Claudia and company would do.

Then again, it is a tough call. Their friends and co-workers are stuck in a death trap thanks to this chick... who was also responsible for the painful deaths of other colleagues. Mrs F knows more about the current scenario that the agents; that the Regents are apparently very important and that they might actually be saving the world.

It's like a recent small film "Unthinkable" with Samuel L Jackson. Torture is wrong and a dark thing to do... but what about when the alternative is just too big to fathom like a Nuke going off in a large city. Or in this case, end-of-the-world via artifact. It's a tough question.

I can see Jinx coming back, or even working for the other side. Then again, if he had such a problem with Mrs F doing what she did I can't see how he'd like to work with the other guys... unless they convince him that the chick went rogue.

Edited on 08/30/2011 8:38am
    Edited 2 total times.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[9]Aug 30, 2011
    • level: 13

In every episode that Jinx was in, he was able tell if people were lying. For some reason, which went unexplained in this episode, he was unable to tell if Sally was telling the truth or lying or he was unwilling to speak on the matter either way. For themost part, he seemed totally useless.

Also, perhaps I may need to look at it again but when they showed the shadowy figure sitting in the chair for the first time, I could swear he had dark hair. However, in this episode, he clearly had light colored hair.

haldrey

[10]Aug 30, 2011
    • level: 22
    Awesome episode and when you add Captain Janeway (with a few more pounds) it is double awesome.

Princess_Pinky

[11]Aug 30, 2011
    • level: 11

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:

In every episode that Jinx was in, he was able tell if people were lying. For some reason, which went unexplained in this episode, he was unable to tell if Sally was telling the truth or lying or he was unwilling to speak on the matter either way. For themost part, he seemed totally useless.

Also, perhaps I may need to look at it again but when they showed the shadowy figure sitting in the chair for the first time, I could swear he had dark hair. However, in this episode, he clearly had light colored hair.

There seems to be limits to Jinks' ability, for example, Mrs. Frederic remarked that "you looked into my eyes, you know I'm telling the truth" or something to that effect in 3x01, so it sounds like Jinks has to look someone in the eyes for his ability to work. So there could be other technicalities with his ability too. Also, with the amount of artifacts they have at their disposable, it's possible they have one that could counteract Jinks' ability and make them able to openly lie to him.

tommy0122

[12]Aug 30, 2011
    • level: 12
    musicman1616 wrote:

He substituted his judgement and values for that of a superior and allowed a dangerous prisoner to escape. That's just not the way things work. I suppose if he disagreed with a law, he would break it. If I had my way, he should have faced prison time.

cowboy2831

[13]Aug 31, 2011
    • level: 16

I thought this was the best episode of the season to this point. There was a lot of suspense and when the guy painted his mouth, that was interesting, to say the least.

Then, there was the reveal at the end that Jane is Pete's mother. So, I wonder who Pete's dad is, the bad guy or his right hand man?

Edited on 08/31/2011 6:39am

nolefan32

[14]Aug 31, 2011
    haldrey wrote:
    Awesome episode and when you add Captain Janeway (with a few more pounds) it is double awesome.
    I was surprised to see Capt. Janeway ballooned up since the last time she was on the bridge of Voyager, myself, but she was still very much Capt. Janeway all the same.

I thought this was a great episode. Not the best episode as several of the critics I've seen have described it (that would still be the phenominal Alice in Wonderland episode, at least in my opinion), but rock solid all the same. It redeemed what I felt had been a below par season otherwise (not complete crap, mind you - just not up to usual standards, and I readily admit I've been spoiled by the previous two seasons).

There were several Regents that were in that diner when Artie was getting chewed out about MacPherson that weren't in this episode, I can only assume they were the ones that the evil FBI agent dispatched before she got to our pie waitress at the beginning of this episode. Kind of sad we're down to just one or two Regents (I'm not really clear if the bald guy qualifies as Regent, or if he's a level above even them).

I also think that the writers must be lurking on some of the same boards I visit, because I've seen fans asking the question about the Regents if they were really good or if in fact their desire to collect and "protect" the artifacts had a nefarious tinge to it. According to the evil FBI bitch with the bad accent (glad the writers decided to make it fake, because the actress was horrible at it), she suggested they're evil after all. Although I'm not sure I'm willing to take the word of a woman working for an organization that's left a body trail a lot longer and a lot deeper than anyone involved with the warehouse, including MacPherson and H.G. Wells, has left (at least that we're aware of).

There was much in this episode that I saw coming, like Jinks getting fired (the actor hasn't been listed as part of the main cast, and though that sometimes happens for reasons like budget, it usually means their time is limited on the show), and I'd been disappointed this season by the secret twist" of who the bad guy was (like the Secret Service guy who was in cahoots with Sam's assassin in the last episode) being telegraphed way early in the episode, but I did not see the revelation of Jane being Pete's mom coming, not even when she dropped certain hints to that effect like the fire hose thing (having learned that trick from her husband). Very nicely handled! And I look forward to next week, as she and Pete get to discuss how they both have a connection to the warehouse and he never knew.

Speaking of Jinks' departure, I can't help but to feel like that part wasn't handled well - it just felt weak. I did expect he'd be leaving for some reason, but this was just a little too tidy, and we'd had no suggestion that he was capable of pulling his gun on Mrs. Frederic like she did. Pete, that I could expect - he's more of a loose cannon - Myka perhaps because she's so tightly wound that she can snap, but Jinks ... that just came out of nowhere, and not in a good way like Pete's mom.

I'm more curious than ever who that guy in the wheelchair is now. If it wasn't for the fact that Mark Shepperd has a very distinct British accent, I'd go with Benedict Valda (and if that is the case, I hope that when he's unmasked, we get some explanation as to the accent change). Another option - we've seen two Lattimers working for the warehouse ... maybe it's Pete's "dead" father, which would really add an interesting twist to why Jane had to be written as Pete's mom, outside of the "whoa" factor we all felt when we learned it. Maybe he had the Phoenix at the fire that "killed" him, or some other artifact. It could give an interesting dimension to the "why" behind wheelchair guy's motives for thinking the warehouse and the Regents are evil. I do believe that we've seen the guy before, that he's a character previously thought dead or similar fate. Or maybe it's Pete's or Jinks' long lost identical twin brother or something along those lines (or maybe it's Jinks - he has a split personality). In the WH13 universe, the possibilities of who it is in the wheelchair are endless, but there has to be a reason we've not seen his face yet.

Fantastic episode! Is it next week yet?

Carycomic

[15]Aug 31, 2011
    • level: 13
    musicman1616 wrote:

My sentiments, exactly! Could this possibly mean that the Paraplegic Mastermind is...Pete's dad? Yes, yes; I know! Pete told Myka that his dad was a professional firefighter who died in the line of duty. But, what if he was resurrected by that same artifact that McPherson later used to protect Artie from incineration? The one that transfers the heat and smoke to someone else?

nolefan32

[16]Aug 31, 2011
    Carycomic wrote:
    musicman1616 wrote:

My sentiments, exactly! Could this possibly mean that the Paraplegic Mastermind is...Pete's dad? Yes, yes; I know! Pete told Myka that his dad was a professional firefighter who died in the line of duty. But, what if he was resurrected by that same artifact that McPherson later used to protect Artie from incineration? The one that transfers the heat and smoke to someone else?
    I had the same thought about Pete's dad in the post right above yours. I think that could be a really interesting twist, and since we have seen Pete's father's face in some of the flashbacks from the first season, it would explain why we can't see it now.

therockstop

[17]Aug 31, 2011
    • level: 14
    A great episode. I don't think it is Pete's dad in the wheel chair but who knows. Can't wait for next week. This is a great show.

phoenix381

[18]Sep 1, 2011
    • level: 2

Everyone seems to be okay with Aaron Ashmore leaving when he has been a breath of fresh air. He stood up for no torturing just like everyone should - and was fired for it. Someone needs to dress down Ms Fredrics and get him back on the team permanently. He is a valuable asset and if he doesn't come back then they are okaying the use of torture -- reality, anyone????

thribs

[19]Sep 1, 2011
    • level: 8

phoenix381 wrote:

Everyone seems to be okay with Aaron Ashmore leaving when he has been a breath of fresh air. He stood up for no torturing just like everyone should - and was fired for it. Someone needs to dress down Ms Fredrics and get him back on the team permanently. He is a valuable asset and if he doesn't come back then they are okaying the use of torture -- reality, anyone????

Agreed, only Jack Bauer should torture!

kanniballl

[20]Sep 1, 2011

phoenix381 wrote:

Is the actor GONE gone? The FBI agent suggested that perhaps they could turn him... which means maybe he'll appear later as an enemy (like the whole HG thing) .It's a shame, I liked him as a regular team member. He was a good character on his own, and gave Claudia someone to work with besides Artie.

THEN AGAIN! Maybe it's all a feint. Maybe Mrs Frederick arranged it so he would be fired so the other group would scoop him up and she could use him as a double agent. I DOUBT it, but it's always a possibility. I'd hate for them to repeat last season 100% - great new team member becoming the enemy for real.