Warehouse 13 Forums

Syfy (ended 2014)

Official Discussion Thread: The Greatest Gift (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Dec 2, 2011
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 12/6/11 Christmas special, "The Greatest Gift", to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

nolefan32

[2]Dec 7, 2011
    • level: 11
    I almost missed this episode; thank God for DVRs!

I thought this was a decent episode. It's a Wonderful Life is a holiday classic, but the spoof/homage is getting pretty tired (however, it's at least not as worn out as the spoofs/homages of A Christmas Carol). At least this one was a little fresh in that we didn't have to deal with Pete all mopey about not making a difference, etc., first - it didn't go there. Maybe that would have made for a better Christmas episode last year, situated within the proper timeline with Myka gone from the Warehouse and debating about the difference she'd actually made.

I also liked Pete screaming when the movie came on at the end of the episode. Overall, it wasn't the best of Warehouse, might have even been one of the more lacking episodes, but it was still better than most anything else on TV. It was also a bonus Warehouse episode, and who can complain about that.

The only thing I do have a problem with is having the Christmas episodes completely ignoring the existing timeline for the show. Last year, it was bad enough, but then it was just a second season episode aired out of order more or less, with the only problem being no acknowledgement of H.G. Wells (and she would have been an issue had the episode aired in it's proper place in the timeline). But this time, I was really confused - Mrs. F is alive, but Artie is dealing with issues about Vanessa and Hugo, and the dog was in the episode ... so where was Jinks?

I have no problem with special, stand-alone episodes, but I would prefer it if they acknowledged the established timeline, in this case, no Mrs. F., at least in the correct timeline (having CCH Pounder do a cameo in the alternate timeline with MacPherson though, not a problem).

Jemadari

[3]Dec 7, 2011
    • level: 12

I hate Wonderful Life and it's MANY parodies but they made this one work, so there's that

kat4543

[4]Dec 8, 2011
    • level: 4

I liked it. It was funny and interesting. I do agree that timeline was a little confusing.

haldrey

[5]Dec 18, 2011
    • level: 22
    Another W13 episode that was right on the mark. Sy Fy should keep Eureka, paired with W13 they make quite a bundle.

danharr

[6]Dec 24, 2011
    • level: 45

Another enjoyable silly WH13 episode they did well this year and seeing Mcpherson again was fun.

kanniballl

[7]Mar 30, 2012
    • level: 18

nolefan32 wrote:
    I have no problem with special, stand-alone episodes, but I would prefer it if they acknowledged the established timeline, in this case, no Mrs. F., at least in the correct timeline (having CCH Pounder do a cameo in the alternate timeline with MacPherson though, not a problem).

Well, Christmas Episodes are often meant to be timeless... and not be tied down about what's happening immediately. Like 5 years from now they might air it around Christmas... many people will no longer remember "Oh yeh, this is taking place around now so she's dead"

Look at the Eureka X-mas special from the previous year (where they are shrinking). His story made NO sense in regards to the timeline unless the beginning was a flash-forward and the "story" was in the present. As he's talking about "last year" when there was this adventure... only last year for him was in a different timeline... and his story was all about the new timeline.

Besides, who's to say the W13 X-Mas episode wasn't a flashback to a previous X-Mas before the warehouse destruction and Mrs F's death.