Warehouse 13 Forums

Syfy (ended 2014)

Official Discussion Thread: Time Will Tell (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Jun 27, 2010
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 7/6/10 episode "Time Will Tell" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KenBacklund

[2]Jul 6, 2010
    • level: 4
    yay first post!

Warehouse 13 is finally back, can't wait for the Eureka/warehouse 13 crossovers!

shadowysea07

[3]Jul 6, 2010
    • level: 25

well i knew her driver was gonna die. i guess mcphearson somehow got mind control on the other chick that sucks but explains her crazyness

mattgus

[4]Jul 6, 2010
    • level: 14
    i really enjoy this show,but not a fan of the i can be whoever i need to anytime..clever is always better..still glad it is back...story was good..like the actors too.

shadowysea07

[5]Jul 6, 2010
    • level: 25

whoa didn't see that coming at all. i'm glad they
    ***SPOILER***

but it just felt lame the way it ended. oh well hopefully the new villain will prove more of a challenge. funny how mcphearson ended up as a villain you can feel sorry for vs the usual psychopath.

OnePerCentClub

[6]Jul 6, 2010
    • level: 35
    mattgus wrote:
    i really enjoy this show,but not a fan of the i can be whoever i need to anytime..clever is always better..still glad it is back...story was good..like the actors too.

Yeah, Eddie and Joanne have great chemistry. I'm glad the show is back

soxfan1

[7]Jul 6, 2010
    • level: 2
    WOW!!!! That was awesome!!!....i'm so happy Warehouse 13 is back on and I can't believe they killed off McPhearson....I wasn't expecting that so soon....this was a great episode and I thought the ending was interesting...we shall see what HG Wells is up to...can't wait for next week's epi....i'm in my glory that the show is back!!!

nolefan32

[8]Jul 6, 2010
    • level: 11
    This episode was not a disappointment, however ... man they crammed a lot of stuff into just one hour of television. I can't help but to have felt like we could have spent an episode or two with Artie chasing McPherson but Pete and Myka think he's dead, meanwhile Claudia is on the run, hiding out with her brother trying to piece together how she could have been a double agent, meanwhile Leena continues to work with Pete and Myka and support McPherson. They go at least the first episode before they ever find out that a second person was de-bronzed (a teaser at the end of the first episode, perhaps, but nothing really sorted out until the second). They chase "Herbert George" Wells for an episode or two before finally encountering Helena and realizing that he is really a she. And she doesn't double-cross McPherson until halfway through the second season, and elevates up to the one true big bad for the remainder of the season and then into the second season.

But then that's the Joss Whedon fan in me. When Joss had a good idea for a storyline, he wouldn't resolve every question in one episode. He'd go one, two even three SEASONS before truly resolving anything.

There were also a couple of moments that I thought were a tad predictable. When the camera shows Helena in the room for a second time after Pete makes an ass of himself with the H.G. impersonator, I kind of figured SHE must be the real H.G. Then when Helena did her buzzing around to test the vest and showed up behind McPherson, I knew she was going to cut the necklace and kill him, though I actually expected it to happen then (they had politely established that she was rather man-hating earlier in the episode for them to not be wanting to go that direction, so I did expect she'd jettison as a partner at the first opportunity).

But these are really just quibbles, and I watch other shows (*ahem* Castle) that really have much worse writing just great characters. Overall this was a decent episode establishing the return of a great series, and the second season is certainly off to a great start. I personally think it doesn't rate as the best episodes of the series (that would be between Duped, Breakdown and Nevermore), but I do think the second season is off to a better start than the first season, which is promising considering where the first season ended up (that is to say, if the second season follows the same path, the best episodes of the series are still yet to come).

I do think Helena is going to make for an interesting villain for the rest of the season. She seems like she'll be even more wily than McPherson was (he was sharp, but his biggest advantage was that he knew his enemy well; she is smart in general and thus seems less predictable and more capable). Hopefully we'll deal with her more during the second season than we did with McPherson in the first, and the fact that we're meeting her in the season premiere rather than in the middle of the season gives me high hopes.

It does seem, though, like the writers of this show have been raiding my personal library. I've got volumes by Lewis Carroll, Edgar Alan Poe and H.G. Wells, too. How long before Pete and Myka have to take on O. Henry's Red Chief, or Charles Dickens?

nolefan32

[9]Jul 6, 2010
    Let me add that I'm kind of glad they got rid of McPherson. Admittedly, I would have liked them to keep the character around longer into this season and really work the storyline, as I liked him in concept, but honestly his was the only character where I thought the casting director missed the mark. I've loved everyone else on the show, think the chemistry is great ... but Richard Rees has just left me cold, and I really never have been able to buy him as the calculating super-criminal the writers wanted us to believe McPherson was. I think Jaime Murray as H.G. Wells works so much better; I find her a lot more believable in the role.

TankLike

[10]Jul 7, 2010
    • level: 7

Well, this was a pretty decent episode - which of course means it was amazing compared to most of the BS that is the rest of TV.

I agree with nolefan: Finishing the old storyline and starting the new one in one episode felt a bit rushed. I'm glad that the whole cast is back (except for Leena who I never really got - or better yet I don't understand her part in all of that) - especially Claudia (even though her character is yet another attractive woman in the show. Did anyone realize that it's Artie and Pete and FOUR women plus the new female villian).

I also agree that I've never been a big fan of McPhearson. He never really clicked. I mean: They tried to explain his motives but I just didn't care. The new villain is way more promissing (and - as a bonus - eye candy )

Another thing that bugged me (and that nolefan didn't mention): The whole thing in H.G.'s home. I mean: Pete and Myka have been doing this for a while now. One would think they new by now not to press any buttons if they don't know what will happen. But maybe that's just my inner engineer speaking. Cutting the necklace, the stunning brunette being the bad one: Saw that coming.

The one thing I didn't understand: Why did McPhearson fell apart? I mean the Phoenix already got the driver... I will have to watch that part again.

nolefan32

[11]Jul 7, 2010
    TankLike wrote:

The one thing I didn't understand: Why did McPhearson fell apart? I mean the Phoenix already got the driver... I will have to watch that part again.

I'm not sure you're confusion here, so if I'm off-base, sorry. McPherson falling apart (I assume you mean him turning to dust in Artie's arms) wasn't about the Phoenix, but had to do with the stuff they had injected into him when they banished him from the warehouse, basically so he'd never be able to re-enter; once the necklace was cut and the crystals fell away from him, his blood boiled like it had been said it would. It was weird that the writers chose that moment for Artie and McPherson to have their heart-to-heart about how McPherson wanted Artie to experience what he had and thus put the Phoenix in Artie's pocket (and potentially caused some confusion for some viewers, I suspect), but that conversation also was not about the Phoenix but instead was the writers trying to explain away McPherson's motives and try to get us feeling sorry for him in his last moments (alas, Darth Vader's death scene was better at it).

As for the magnetic ceiling thing, I didn't think about it too much at the time, but in retrospect, I have to agree with you - Pete and Myka have been at this long enough that they should have known better. And the writers compounded their stupidity, or at least Pete's, with him admonishing Myka for "in this job, there's no such thing as no such thing" (basically, if Pete was cognizant enough to have gotten that, he should have known better than to flip the switch, and as I recall, he was the dodo the actually did flip it).

Another element of the episode that didn't sit well with me after I had time to process it, the different experiences that Artie and McPherson had when they used the Phoenix. With McPherson having experienced nothing but Artie having experienced peace and hope, it sounded like the writers were trying to establish Artie - good, McPherson - bad, even on a cosmic scale (i.e., when Artie died, he touched Heaven but when McPherson died, he experienced vast nothingness, which is a variant interpretation of Hell). The reason that bothered me is that all we've seen seems to point to McPherson not becoming a bad guy until after using the Phoenix to save Carol (a more or less selfless act), so why would he have experienced nothing? And Artie isn't exactly without blood on his hands - they made it clear that he knew the people who had been bronzed were conscious and aware of their state (which is pretty freaking cruel - putting them to death would honestly be much more humane), and yet he experienced the peace and hope of Heaven? That doesn't seem right at all.

Jemadari

[12]Jul 7, 2010
    • level: 12

Loved the return my only drawback and this is largely because I grew up in a house where lies by omission where the worst sins you could commit but for my money they could have been a bit angrier at Leena for not revealing her memory lapses considering the nature of her "work" that seems like something she would no better than to keep to herself

kanniballl

[13]Jul 7, 2010
    • level: 18

I enjoyed it.

Firstly... FUDGE! HA! I loved Claudia's delivery of that line. I think they should only use that a few times a season, as Myka's exclamation in the vault was also pretty good.

I like the new "big bad." I like the actress from her work on Hustle and a season of Dexter. I recall seeing her on other stuff too (I think NCIS) but I forget them. I'm surprised we don't see more of her this side of the pond.

H.G. Wells as a woman... brilliant. I had a feeling they were going to pull that off when Pete was hitting on her when they entered the building. But I thought H.G. was going to mean she was his sister/daughter/etc... not the real deal.

Rule-of-thumb, when a TV actor actress (that starred on a show) appears briefly there's a VERY good chance they're going to be a big plot point (or the murderer in a mystery). Unless it's Scooby Doo

The whole "awake while bronzed" thing was creepy. I wouldn't be surprised if they revisit that topic with Myka asking what-the-frell. Hundreds of years trapped in your own skull... unable to move. Yikes.

Leena being mind-controlled felt a big cheap, her character might've been more interesting if she really did go dark-side and was working against them for years. We hardly ever see her on screen, giving her character a sinister side would make her more interesting. Then again, if that were to happen then Claudia would either have to leave the show or we'd *constantly* have the characters wondering if she's evil at the moment. So if given the choice of more-or-less Claudia, I go with more Claudia. She's still interesting no matter what.

I figured it was going to be the car that received the wrath of the phoenix, but I wasn't sure if it was going to be the driver. Having Ms Frederick die would've been a shocker since she comes off as all powerful, then again I imagined she would've just been standing near the wreck having teleported out or something, not lying on the road.

I *loved* how they were freaking out when Pete was choking on Artie-dust.

The whole revelation of McPhearson's motives was said. He was driven to the dark side by him thinking there was nothing when you die... when it fact it was because he sinned by knowingly taking the Phoenix into the fire which would kill the firemen that punished him. The realization that Artie, his old friend, saw light and hope and 'something' was kind of sad.

Edited on 07/07/2010 8:24am

TankLike

[14]Jul 7, 2010

I now realize I should've watched the first season again before beginning season 2. There are way more than just a few things that obviously have slipped my mind.

@nolefan: I never thought about "nothing" being a form of hell (and as a Buffy-fan I do believe there's more than one dimension). It's an interesting idea. I was so hung up on this Heaven/paradise vs. Hell/punishment (for example Buffy's "Anne" S03E01) concept it never occured to me.
    It's funny: There were a lot of inconcistencies in this episode we're complaining about but still I'm glad the show's back. 'Bout time
    And they still have a lot of opportunities (meaning episodes) to make up for this hectic first one.

Jacks_Son

[15]Jul 7, 2010
    • level: 13

This was a fun episode and I liked the fact that they've managed to keep the core characters intact and on the side of good. Yes, the plot was contrived and some things were too convenient, but aren't most plots nowadays? Artie found Claudia WAY too easily in such a large city. Pete and Myka happened to be at the museum at the same time as H.G. Wells. All very convenient, but still fun. I love the humor of this show and enjoy the banter between all the principles, especially Pete and Myka.

Unlike some of you, I don't mind the closure of one suspense and the beginning of another. The Vampire Diaries does this, as well as Nole's favorite show, "Castle". (except for your treasured episodes "Tick, Tick, Tick" and "Boom") McPherson had a whole slew of episodes, now it's time to let the lovely, Jaime Murray ("Hustle") shine.

Now, the man in me MUST say that Allison Scagliotti is growing into a stunning woman. While I think Joanne Kelly is hot (despite the weird lip and somewhat buggy eyes), Allison has somehow surpassed her in beauty. It appears that Allison is no longer a gawky kid.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[16]Jul 7, 2010
    Glad to see our show back on TV. I thought it was an excellent episode. I am looking forward to the new femme fatale on the block (H.G. Wells) and what 100+ years of focused planning in her bronzed state can bring to bear. I am looking for good things to happen in season 2 as it appears that H.G. was the brilliant mind behind the novels. Also, she stated that she was an apprentice to Warehouse 12 so she should know a lot about the organization and its governing body.

I am sooooo excited!!!

nolefan32

[17]Jul 7, 2010
    TankLike wrote:

I now realize I should've watched the first season again before beginning season 2. There are way more than just a few things that obviously have slipped my mind.

@nolefan: I never thought about "nothing" being a form of hell (and as a Buffy-fan I do believe there's more than one dimension). It's an interesting idea. I was so hung up on this Heaven/paradise vs. Hell/punishment (for example Buffy's "Anne" S03E01) concept it never occured to me.
    It's funny: There were a lot of inconcistencies in this episode we're complaining about but still I'm glad the show's back. 'Bout time
    And they still have a lot of opportunities (meaning episodes) to make up for this hectic first one.

Oh, I totally agree with you - while I may have a few niggles about this episode, mostly where I thought they missed some opportunities or took a few shortcuts, I'm still very glad the show is back. In my opinion, it's the best written show currently on. I've got a couple of old favorites that I would rate as better and much lament their passing (Firefly, Pushing Daisies, Buffy/Angel), but I say it again, best show currently on TV. Unfortunately, that is as much of a reflection on every other show on TV as it is on WH13, but it doesn't change the fact that WH13 is the best currently on. And it doesn't change the fact that I'm doing backflips because of its return and excitedly look forward to what's going to happen this coming season.

As for the nothingness theory on Hell, the vision that most people think of, the lake of fire, Dante's Inferno, etc., that's primarily from Revelation and it describes where Lucifer and his minions will eventually end up when they are defeated once and for all. Most other references are to a simple separation from God; that which the person has so striven for in life, they receive in death, and since to the average believer God is everything, that's frequently interpreted to mean that separation from God means damnation to nothingness.

nolefan32

[18]Jul 7, 2010
    Jacks_Son wrote:

This was a fun episode and I liked the fact that they've managed to keep the core characters intact and on the side of good. Yes, the plot was contrived and some things were too convenient, but aren't most plots nowadays? Artie found Claudia WAY too easily in such a large city. Pete and Myka happened to be at the museum at the same time as H.G. Wells. All very convenient, but still fun. I love the humor of this show and enjoy the banter between all the principles, especially Pete and Myka.

Unlike some of you, I don't mind the closure of one suspense and the beginning of another. The Vampire Diaries does this, as well as Nole's favorite show, "Castle". (except for your treasured episodes "Tick, Tick, Tick" and "Boom") McPherson had a whole slew of episodes, now it's time to let the lovely, Jaime Murray ("Hustle") shine.

Now, the man in me MUST say that Allison Scagliotti is growing into a stunning woman. While I think Joanne Kelly is hot (despite the weird lip and somewhat buggy eyes), Allison has somehow surpassed her in beauty. It appears that Allison is no longer a gawky kid.

In all fairness to the Castle writers, I rag on them, but the fact is it's not a bad show or I wouldn't watch. The writing just isn't all that great - it's the basic, cliche-ridden stuff that dominates most of what's on TV, which many of us who do like WH13, Mutant Enemy programming, etc., frequently complain about, mostly because we've been spoiled by absolutely stellar television (that is simply all too rare).

Jacks_Son

[19]Jul 7, 2010

IMHO, WH13 while a very good series and fun to follow, it's not the best show currently on television. I think that honor is shared by shows like "Lie to Me", "Burn Notice", and "Eureka". (new season starts Friday)

TankLike

[20]Jul 7, 2010

Woohoo, a "which show is the best currently airing"-skirmish.

Count me in for Parenthood, Eureka, The Good Wife, Justified and Warehouse 13 (obviously)!
    Apart from "currently airing": Go Joss! (I also admired his plans for Dollhouse. The few time the potential showed it's beautiful face the show's been amazing. Too bad we never really got to see were it really was heading.)

@Jack's Son: I never said that it bothered me that they finished the old arc and started a new one. I'm actually glad they did. But it was to jumpy. They should've finished one thing and started the new one in the next episode.
    But I do agree on the Joanne vs. Alison assessment

Something different: Did anyone of you for one second thought that something might happen to Mrs. Frederic? I actually thought she teleported out of the car the second I saw her limousine burning. Therefor I was kinda surprised seeing her lying in the dirt. But I never really believed McPhearson could harm her. She seems so powerful (in a supernatural way).

Edited on 07/07/2010 2:19pm