Warehouse 13 Forums

Syfy (ended 2014)

Official Discussion Thread: Time Will Tell (possible spoilers)

Jacks_Son

[21]Jul 7, 2010
    • level: 13

TankLike wrote:

Woohoo, a "which show is the best currently airing"-skirmish.

Count me in for Parenthood, Eureka, The Good Wife, Justified and Warehouse 13 (obviously)!
    Apart from "currently airing": Go Joss! (I also admired his plans for Dollhouse. The few time the potential showed it's beautiful face the show's been amazing. Too bad we never really got to see were it really was heading.)

@Jack's Son: I never said that it bothered me that they finished the old arc and started a new one. I'm actually glad they did. But it was to jumpy. They should've finished one thing and started the new one in the next episode.
    But I do agree on the Joanne vs. Alison assessment

Something different: Did anyone of you for one second thought that something might happen to Mrs. Frederic? I actually thought she teleported out of the car the second I saw her limousine burning. Therefor I was kinda surprised seeing her lying in the dirt. But I never really believed McPhearson could harm her. She seems so powerful (in a supernatural way).

Sealed No skirmishes here, just people who like their shows comparing them. I've never seen Parenthood, nor The Good Wife. Neither show is of interest to me, though Lauren Graham is a damn fine looking woman. Justified is an outstanding series and Timothy Olyphant makes a chilling Raylan Givens.

Dollhouse, while jaw-dropping good at times, was WAY too flaky towards the end. I luv me some all things Joss, but I cannot jump on that bandwagon simply because it's Joss. Remember, Joss was also the creator of BtVS movie. Yikes!!!

This episode could not have finished one thing and then started on a new thing in the next episode, because there was the necessary tie-in between McPherson and H.G. Wells. I think they handled it right. It flowed very seamlessly to me.

I too think she teleported herself out of the car. There was quite a large distance between her and the car and she moves around way too quickly, and no, I never thought for a second that she would be dead. I like how they resurrected Artie though. I thought that was nicely done, and Pete choking on Artie dust was classic.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

nolefan32

[22]Jul 7, 2010
    • level: 11

Jacks_Son wrote:

TankLike wrote:

Woohoo, a "which show is the best currently airing"-skirmish.

Count me in for Parenthood, Eureka, The Good Wife, Justified and Warehouse 13 (obviously)!
    Apart from "currently airing": Go Joss! (I also admired his plans for Dollhouse. The few time the potential showed it's beautiful face the show's been amazing. Too bad we never really got to see were it really was heading.)

@Jack's Son: I never said that it bothered me that they finished the old arc and started a new one. I'm actually glad they did. But it was to jumpy. They should've finished one thing and started the new one in the next episode.
    But I do agree on the Joanne vs. Alison assessment

Something different: Did anyone of you for one second thought that something might happen to Mrs. Frederic? I actually thought she teleported out of the car the second I saw her limousine burning. Therefor I was kinda surprised seeing her lying in the dirt. But I never really believed McPhearson could harm her. She seems so powerful (in a supernatural way).

Sealed No skirmishes here, just people who like their shows comparing them. I've never seen Parenthood, nor The Good Wife. Neither show is of interest to me, though Lauren Graham is a damn fine looking woman. Justified is an outstanding series and Timothy Olyphant makes a chilling Raylan Givens.

Dollhouse, while jaw-dropping good at times, was WAY too flaky towards the end. I luv me some all things Joss, but I cannot jump on that bandwagon simply because it's Joss. Remember, Joss was also the creator of BtVS movie. Yikes!!!

This episode could not have finished one thing and then started on a new thing in the next episode, because there was the necessary tie-in between McPherson and H.G. Wells. I think they handled it right. It flowed very seamlessly to me.

I too think she teleported herself out of the car. There was quite a large distance between her and the car and she moves around way too quickly, and no, I never thought for a second that she would be dead. I like how they resurrected Artie though. I thought that was nicely done, and Pete choking on Artie dust was classic.

I watched an episode and about 10 minutes into the second episode of Dollhouse and nearly threw my remote through my TV; after the guy gets done screwing (translation, raping ... considering that she wasn't really in charge of her body) Echo and then jumps up with his bow and arrows ready to hunt her down, I realized Joss had finally built his Edsel. Firefly, on the other hand, was absolute pure genius, the single best TV show nobody ever watched (thank you, Fox), and of course Buffy/Angel. I give him a pass on the Buffy movie, as that had more to do with Donald Sutherland's meddling than it did with Joss' script, and if you squint while you watch it, there are brief moments of sweet Jossness.

Totally in agreement about Lauren Graham being one damn fine looking woman, who I proudly have images in the slideshow that is my hourly-changing wallpaper on my laptop. And I'm not too manly to say that I was a proud Gilmore Girls fan up until the final season, when some network yahoo thought the show could go on without the Palladinos at the controls. I also thought she was an interesting suggestion made by many fans for Wonder Woman when that particular project was being bandied about, though I do think Morena Baccarin was a more likely and even better sounding option, at least when Joss was helming that project. Another brilliant executive decision, thinking that movie could have been worth anything without Joss' involvement.

But back to WH13 - what's all this about Mrs. Frederick being able to teleport? I really am not buying that one, as if it were the case, what would she need a car and driver for? Yes, she's stealthy as hell, but she's not the first boss in a super-secret agency that's had that stealthy, shock-everyone-with-your-entry mode. Granted, the writers have had way more fun with it here than has been done before, but I still think she's 100 percent mortal (her aging hampered by those crystals, hence why she wore them even though she didn't need them to access the warehouse).

And I also agree that having McPherson depart in one episode and H.G. Wells show up in the next wouldn't have worked at all, there needed to be a transition, like we got. I just think it was all way too tidy and would have liked to have seen several more episodes with the two of them, before she double-crossed him. And that's coming from someone who thinks McNutty was the weakest element in the show and H.G. Wells is looking to be a much more exciting villain.

Slugsie

[23]Jul 7, 2010
    • level: 5
    A below average episode by a long way for me. H G Wells was a woman? Seriously?

But the absolute worst bit by far, was another example of American jingoism. Hint, the US Secret Service has zero, nil, zilch, nada, no powers at all outside of the USA. So if you're in London, and someone walks up to you and declares that they are US Secret Service and starts barking orders the correct response is to tell the where to shove it and ignore them.

I hope this series picks up *a lot*. Whilst it's 'science' is a joke, roughly on a par with the science in Fringe it is normally at least entertaining fun.

nolefan32

[24]Jul 7, 2010
    Slugsie wrote:
    A below average episode by a long way for me. H G Wells was a woman? Seriously?

But the absolute worst bit by far, was another example of American jingoism. Hint, the US Secret Service has zero, nil, zilch, nada, no powers at all outside of the USA. So if you're in London, and someone walks up to you and declares that they are US Secret Service and starts barking orders the correct response is to tell the where to shove it and ignore them.

I hope this series picks up *a lot*. Whilst it's 'science' is a joke, roughly on a par with the science in Fringe it is normally at least entertaining fun.
    The H.G. Wells thing didn't bother me. I did think it was a curious choice, and I'm wondering if they've got plans for the character that will make use of her being a woman (other than having her lock lips with Pete for five minutes, that is).

I did think that the episode kind of tried to play on the fact that the Secret Service has no power outside of the United States, the woman who worked for the museum definitely did not seem impressed by Pete and Myka's credentials, but it was a tad subtle to be sure. But then also like you say, the show is normally entertaining fun (not just limited to the science), and so there's a lot that the writers can get away with that people behind more seriously based shows cannot.

Jacks_Son

[25]Jul 7, 2010

nolefan32 wrote:

Totally in agreement about Lauren Graham being one damn fine looking woman, who I proudly have images in the slideshow that is my hourly-changing wallpaper on my laptop. And I'm not too manly to say that I was a proud Gilmore Girls fan up until the final season, when some network yahoo thought the show could go on without the Palladinos at the controls. I also thought she was an interesting suggestion made by many fans for Wonder Woman when that particular project was being bandied about, though I do think Morena Baccarin was a more likely and even better sounding option, at least when Joss was helming that project. Another brilliant executive decision, thinking that movie could have been worth anything without Joss' involvement.

Really, Lauren Graham as Wonder Woman? Really, Morena Baccarin as Wonder Woman? I would have much preferred Charisma Carpenter but she has aged a little bit.

Edited on 07/07/2010 4:10pm

nolefan32

[26]Jul 7, 2010
    Jacks_Son wrote:

nolefan32 wrote:

Really, Lauren Graham as Wonder Woman? Really, Morena Baccarin as Wonder Woman? I would have much preferred Charisma Carpenter but she has aged a little bit

.Charisma Carpenter

Well in all honestly, I first wanted Robia LaMorte, mostly because I'd love to see her acting again, but then Joss said he wanted someone younger. So I thought Anne Hathaway. But then the hinting started that Morena was his muse, and I thought, yeah, I could see that. She's got the regal elegance, she carries herself as wise beyond her years, and she did kick some ass in Serenity. So yeah, she'd work.

But weren't we discussing Warehouse something-or-other? Some admins can get perturbed if we hijack threads to talk about off-topic stuff too much.

Jacks_Son

[27]Jul 7, 2010

Okay, what's wrong with the teleportation theory? It's no odder than any of the other stuff that goes on in the show. Being stealthy is one thing, but she seems to disappear into thin air once she's done talking to you. No footsteps, no doors closing, no sounds of departure, just gone.

nolefan32

[28]Jul 7, 2010

Jacks_Son wrote:

Okay, what's wrong with the teleportation theory? It's no odder than any of the other stuff that goes on in the show. Being stealthy is one thing, but she seems to disappear into thin air once she's done talking to you. No footsteps, no doors closing, no sounds of departure, just gone.

Consider that so far, everything that even seems supernatural has been artifact driven (or steampunk), and the few artifacts we've seen with the kind of power that it would take to teleport someone have also had nasty side effects. I don't see Mrs. F risking any side effects just so she can continually freak Artie out.

Jacks_Son

[29]Jul 7, 2010

Harriet Tubmans' Thimble doesn't seem to have a side effect, neither does Timothy Leary's Reading Glasses.

As for the episode, it was really touching when Artie presented Claudia with Philo Farnsworth's Farnsworth. It looked beautifully crafted.

amaryllis88

[30]Jul 7, 2010
    • level: 20

What a great way to start the second season! It flowed quite nicely, I like that we started right where we left off, so that there wasn't that awkward, "Where are we now?" moment. Glad that Artie made it back, loved the sparking, and Pete choking on Artie dust. Was Artie's "dream," in the hospital real, and at that moment did he believe that Claudia was innocent, as opposed to Ms. Frederic's later realization?

So, after Leana used the thimble, she then gave it to MacPherson, who had it with him when he went to visit Claudia's brother, and at that point, did he drop it, and Artie took it back to the Warehouse? How did Myka have it so that she could use it at the end?

H.G. as a female, and that female of all the females that they could've used. I'm hoping her performance on WH13 is a lot better than her previous work. I really hated her on Dexter, and she became almost unbearable to watch on television. Here's hoping she acts her heart out.

I don't understand why Pete would flip the switch, if he had an inkling that it was related to the vest somehow, because wasn't Myka holding the vest, so what did he presume would happen? That just felt like an odd way to move the story along, but anyways, it managed to do just that.

I'm very ok with the quickness of MacPherson dying, his character had been carried on long enough from last season, and I would've hated to have seen him drawn out in the second season as well (this happened with True Blood's end of first season, and all of second season, and by the end, it was halleluljah when somebody perished); I'm glad the writers realized that his time had come.

Is the Pearl of wisdom an artifact, was it stolen by MacP during his time in the warehouse, and at that point, did he plant it in Leana's ear?

So many questions, but great nonetheless, can't wait for more!!

MichaudMR

[31]Jul 7, 2010
    • level: 17

amaryllis88 wrote:
    Is the Pearl of wisdom an artifact, was it stolen by MacP during his time in the warehouse, and at that point, did he plant it in Leana's ear?

For lack of a better place to put it, I'm leaning towards calling it a recovered artifact on the "Artifact Recovery Scorecard" thread. However, if anyone can recall if it was mentioned as stolen from the Warehouse, I'll gladly make an adjustment.

Overall, I think the episode gave us a good closure to last season and a great lead in to the next, even if it was a bit densely packed.

Gislef

[32]Jul 7, 2010
    • level: 101
    Slugsie wrote:

They've shown before that Artie and thus the team as a whole can apply some (fake) influence outside of the States. Thus in "Nevermore," Artie was able to call off the Canadian police by sending a fake but convincing transmission claiming Pete was a RCMP. Even though Pete doesn't sound particularly Canadian.

A simple "British Intelligence will be there later, but for now those Secret Service colonials are working with them, follow their orders" transmission would be sufficient.

nolefan32 wrote:
    But weren't we discussing Warehouse something-or-other? Some admins can get perturbed if we hijack threads to talk about off-topic stuff too much.

We don't get perturbed. But you can be moderated for it, as a violation of the terms of service. It would be a very unperturbed moderation, though.
    Edited on 07/07/2010 10:32pm
    Edited 2 total times.

TankLike

[33]Jul 8, 2010
    • level: 7

Never heard of that "pearl of wisdom" before. But then again: The Warehouse is HUGE and there are a lot of artifacts in it we never heard of before (gladly ).

And why is this thing called "pearl of wisdom" anyway when all it does is give you nightmares and be controlled. What does that have to do with wisdom?

Yeah, the scene with Artie and THE Fansworth was cute. Bringing Claudia in really was a great idea. Artie most of the time by himself in the Warehouse I would have felt sorry for him at some point. And I don't want to do that

kanniballl

[34]Jul 8, 2010
    • level: 18

TankLike wrote:

And why is this thing called "pearl of wisdom" anyway when all it does is give you nightmares and be controlled. What does that have to do with wisdom?

I was wondering the same thing.

All I can think of is Ms Fredericks said something along the lines of "if used correctly" or "if in the wrong hands" it could allow someone to control your thoughts.

Maybe the control isn't its primary function, and only happens if a person really knows what they're doing. Maybe by itself it just gives insight and such.

kanniballl

[35]Jul 8, 2010
    • level: 18

amaryllis88 wrote:

So, after Leana used the thimble, she then gave it to MacPherson, who had it with him when he went to visit Claudia's brother, and at that point, did he drop it, and Artie took it back to the Warehouse? How did Myka have it so that she could use it at the end?

Claudia ripped the thimbel off MacPherson's hand while on the cat walk. Then he pushed her brother over the hand rail.

To be honest I wasn't following the thimbel that closely after that. I don't know if it fell, stayed in Claudia's hand, etc. I imagine either Claudia kept ahold of it or Artie picked it up.

As for how Myka got it, Artie especially mentioned that they needed to pick up a packet or envelope at the entrance. They confirmed they grabbed it since they had the written instructions. He probably left the thimbel in there as part of his plan in case they needed to take MacPherson down (he probably had his own plan).

It's best to have multiple players attack the same enemy with different strategies, even if it means splitting up resources.

Edited on 07/08/2010 6:35am
    Edited 2 total times.

Jacks_Son

[36]Jul 8, 2010

amaryllis88 wrote:

H.G. as a female, and that female of all the females that they could've used. I'm hoping her performance on WH13 is a lot better than her previous work. I really hated her on Dexter, and she became almost unbearable to watch on television. Here's hoping she acts her heart out.

I didn't see Jamie Murray in "Dexter", but I did watch her throughout her run of "Hustle". She played the lead's (Mickey Stone) girlfriend, Stacie Monroe. She was quite good in THAT role. In her role as Stacie Monroe, she had to play different persona's because the crew were Hustlers (Grifters) and were the best in London. She had plenty of range.

wpflum

[37]Jul 8, 2010
    • level: 3

nolefan32 wrote:
    Slugsie wrote:
    A below average episode by a long way for me. H G Wells was a woman? Seriously? But the absolute worst bit by far, was another example of American jingoism. Hint, the US Secret Service has zero, nil, zilch, nada, no powers at all outside of the USA. So if you're in London, and someone walks up to you and declares that they are US Secret Service and starts barking orders the correct response is to tell the where to shove it and ignore them. I hope this series picks up *a lot*. Whilst it's 'science' is a joke, roughly on a par with the science in Fringe it is normally at least entertaining fun.
    The H.G. Wells thing didn't bother me. I did think it was a curious choice, and I'm wondering if they've got plans for the character that will make use of her being a woman (other than having her lock lips with Pete for five minutes, that is). I did think that the episode kind of tried to play on the fact that the Secret Service has no power outside of the United States, the woman who worked for the museum definitely did not seem impressed by Pete and Myka's credentials, but it was a tad subtle to be sure. But then also like you say, the show is normally entertaining fun (not just limited to the science), and so there's a lot that the writers can get away with that people behind more seriously based shows cannot.
    Anyone else think H.G Wells was still a man before Artie clued them in?? I was sure, for a moment, that he was a man using a thimble to appear to be a woman and we would have a scene after the liploc with Pete where 'he' would remove the thimble and shift back into 'his' normal form which would lead Pete into a huge gagging scene Bill

nolefan32

[38]Jul 8, 2010
    wpflum wrote:

nolefan32 wrote:
    Slugsie wrote:
    A below average episode by a long way for me. H G Wells was a woman? Seriously? But the absolute worst bit by far, was another example of American jingoism. Hint, the US Secret Service has zero, nil, zilch, nada, no powers at all outside of the USA. So if you're in London, and someone walks up to you and declares that they are US Secret Service and starts barking orders the correct response is to tell the where to shove it and ignore them. I hope this series picks up *a lot*. Whilst it's 'science' is a joke, roughly on a par with the science in Fringe it is normally at least entertaining fun.
    The H.G. Wells thing didn't bother me. I did think it was a curious choice, and I'm wondering if they've got plans for the character that will make use of her being a woman (other than having her lock lips with Pete for five minutes, that is). I did think that the episode kind of tried to play on the fact that the Secret Service has no power outside of the United States, the woman who worked for the museum definitely did not seem impressed by Pete and Myka's credentials, but it was a tad subtle to be sure. But then also like you say, the show is normally entertaining fun (not just limited to the science), and so there's a lot that the writers can get away with that people behind more seriously based shows cannot.
    Anyone else think H.G Wells was still a man before Artie clued them in?? I was sure, for a moment, that he was a man using a thimble to appear to be a woman and we would have a scene after the liploc with Pete where 'he' would remove the thimble and shift back into 'his' normal form which would lead Pete into a huge gagging scene Bill

I'm glad they didn't go that route. It would have been way too reminiscent of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country or Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. Granted, there's really nothing truly original coming out of Hollywood today, at best just fresh spins on old ideas, as pretty much everything has been done to death already, but the objective here is to at least try to not be too obvious in your recycling (and so far, WH13 gets great credit for that).

danharr

[39]Jul 8, 2010
    • level: 45

Great comeback really enjoyed the opener I knew good things had happened with such a huge turnout. The attendant should've been reprimanded for not revealing her memory loss and kudos to Mrs.Fredrick with the awesome choke out. The characters are great together and Mika looks better this time around some gym time I suppose real good how they got everything back together can't believe I didn't know Artie had the phoenix.

Carycomic

[40]Jul 8, 2010

OnePerCentClub wrote:
    Yeah, Eddie and Joanne have great chemistry. I'm glad the show is back

Me, too! Although, I must confess: I'm getting a little tired of Artie's tirades about Pete and Myka "always" disobeying his orders. I mean; let us not forget that MacPherson spent _fifteen years_ planning this thing! First, he tricks Claudia into hacking the Warehouse's database. Then, he uses her data to break into the boardinghouse and implant Lena with that hypno-pearl. By means of which, he gets enough info on Pete and Myka in order to profile them and their potential for great teamwork.

Long story, short? He knew there was no way they _wouldn't_ investigate the H.G. Wells connection! Their Secret Service training wouldn't permit them to ignore any lead, no matter how seemingly trivial.And, Artie ought to be experienced enough to realize the same thing.

But, even if they had obeyed orders, and stayed at the Warehouse? I'm dead certain the result would have been the same. MacPherson winning his way to the Escher Vault with the aid of Trojan Horse Lena and the imperceptor vest. The only things he didn't count on were Artie's not giving up on Claudia; the great teamwork Pete and Myka are capable of in conjunction with the former pair; and H(ormonal) G(eorgette) making it back in time to hear him selling her out.

The only question, now, is: what is this suffragette-turned-sociopathic misandryist going to do next?

Edited on 07/08/2010 2:40pm