Warehouse 13 Forums

Syfy (ended 2014)

Official Discussion Thread: Time Will Tell (possible spoilers)

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[41]Jul 8, 2010
    • level: 13

kanniballl wrote:

TankLike wrote:

And why is this thing called "pearl of wisdom" anyway when all it does is give you nightmares and be controlled. What does that have to do with wisdom?

I was wondering the same thing.

All I can think of is Ms Fredericks said something along the lines of "if used correctly" or "if in the wrong hands" it could allow someone to control your thoughts.

Maybe the control isn't its primary function, and only happens if a person really knows what they're doing. Maybe by itself it just gives insight and such.

Agreed. I think the primary use of the "pearl of wisdom" is something totally different and perhaps more benevolent. As Mrs. Fredericks stated, it can be used for a different purpose....mind control....

Edited on 07/08/2010 3:23pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TankLike

[42]Jul 8, 2010
    • level: 7

Maybe they are trying to make a running gag out of Artie complaining about his team disobeying his orders.In this case they need to step up their game. Cause it's not funny (although it doesn't bother me all that much either...)

Edited on 07/08/2010 10:51pm
    Edited 2 total times.

nolefan32

[43]Jul 9, 2010
    • level: 11

TankLike wrote:

Maybe they are trying to make a running gag out of Artie complaining about his team disobeying his orders.In this case they need to step up their game. Cause it's not funny (although it doesn't bother me all that much either...)

I don't think they're trying to turn it into a running gag, because like you say, it's not funny. And so far, the writers do seem to be good enough that I'm confident that it would be funny if that's what they wanted, yadda yadda yadda.

On the other hand, Mrs. Frederick's stealthy entrances and departures, that I do think is just a running gag and nothing more. And it is funny, like a big sandwich.

Not that there's anything wrong with it.

haldrey

[45]Jul 10, 2010
    • level: 22
    Someone used the word ridiculous in relation to this show, and yes, it is. Ridiculous good.

nolefan32

[46]Jul 10, 2010

haldrey wrote:
    Someone used the word ridiculous in relation to this show, and yes, it is. Ridiculous good.
    I would agree, the show is ridiculous. But then in this case, ridiculous was the whole point, and so it's a good thing.

TankLike

[47]Jul 10, 2010
    • level: 7

Who cares if someone's calling this show ridiculous. Nobody's watching this show because of what somebody else might think or say. We're watching it, because it kicks a**

Starprincess13

[48]Jul 10, 2010
    • level: 24

I thought this was a pretty good episode but overall, felt like it wasn't as good as it could have been. I had too high expectations for it so it fell a little short. It just seemed a little rushed to me, like they were trying to fit too much in. The conclusion of McPherson's storyline and the beginning of H.G Wells' storyline was done pretty well but I felt like it could have been spread out over the first two or three episodes instead of just the first. My favourite parts were probably the twist of H. G Wells being female, Pete and Myka being stuck on the ceiling, Claudia whacking Artie with the pipe and Artie and Myka freaking out over Pete's choking on Artie dust though. I'm interested in seeing what will happen next with H. G Wells and hopefully some more information on what exactly the Pearl of Wisdom is and what it does (although I'm not sure how likely that is).

Starprincess13

[49]Jul 10, 2010
    • level: 24

TankLike wrote:

Who cares if someone's calling this show ridiculous. Nobody's watching this show because of what somebody else might think or say. We're watching it, because it kicks a**

Very true.

Dewbak75

[52]Jul 12, 2010
    • level: 18

sramv9 wrote:

I personally have used the word "ridiculous" to refer to an aspect of the opening episode of season two, specifically the HG Wells is a woman part. I find it hard to suspend disbelief around something like that when I personally am familiar with the actual history of HG Wells. this ep left much to be desired, from my perspective. I'll try back in a while to see if the season improves.

That's kinda the whole point of the episode, that the history about H.G. Wells that everyone "knows" is actually a lie. Considering she looks to be the Big Bad this season, you're gonna have to get used to that idea or you won't enjoy the show very much

amaryllis88

[55]Jul 12, 2010
    • level: 20
    So, what are y'alls thoughts on what Ms. Frederick is going to do with the Pearl of Wisdom? She just put it in her pocket, are we left to assume she'll take it to Artie, and he'll put that purple goo on it and stabilize it?

I loved watching them go through the Escher Stairs vault, but I would've also liked to have seen what they were seeing. I'm sure they just saw flat surfaces where they could easily walk onto, and those goggles reminded me of Willy Wonka's, the newer version with Depp.

nolefan32

[56]Jul 12, 2010

amaryllis88 wrote:
    So, what are y'alls thoughts on what Ms. Frederick is going to do with the Pearl of Wisdom? She just put it in her pocket, are we left to assume she'll take it to Artie, and he'll put that purple goo on it and stabilize it?
    I loved watching them go through the Escher Stairs vault, but I would've also liked to have seen what they were seeing. I'm sure they just saw flat surfaces where they could easily walk onto, and those goggles reminded me of Willy Wonka's, the newer version with Depp.
    I liked the Escher Vault, too, but good gravy those effects were cheesy. Granted, I realize - basic cable doesn't equal major moolah for production, but I'd kind of prefer they didn't include effects sequences they can't really afford to do properly. It does take one out of the moment. Even if it is an otherwise fun moment like the Escher Vault.

kanniballl

[57]Jul 12, 2010

sramv9 wrote:
    I don't feel like they gave me enough to go on to support such a radical shift about a real historical figure. It was just poof - nope. it was a woman. No real explanation as to how so many people could have been tricked on that point without it ever coming to light. For some viewers no doubt it's easier to accept this type of thing without much in the way of explaining how such a thing could be. I did notice that I wasn't the only one not thrilled with HG Wells = woman. Had they done the same thing with a shadier more distant historical figure, it would have been easier to accept... but HG Wells is so well known and not that far back in time. To me it just doesn't feel right.

For what it's worth, it looks like they "tried" to explain it away as much as they could without dedicating too much of the show to her back story.

- She only came up with the technology and science.

- Her brother was the actual writer and public figure, and he put everything together into a narrative.

- The whole world knew her brother as HG Wells though it was her that was the brilliant one.

Sure, it's utter BS but you have to accept that kind of thing with a show like this. Plus, it's fiction... a work of fiction can rewrite history as much as they want especially when it's SciFi or Fantasy. If it drives the current storyline then it's all up for grabs.

Some examples of sci-fi or fantasy literature past rewriting.

- National Treasure: the whole treasure back-story.

- The Watchmen comics / film: US lost the Vietnam war? Nope

- The Watchmen comics / film: Ford became president after Nixon? Nope

- The Davinci Code: The holy grail is a fancy cup? Nope

- War of the Worlds: umm, we're still here.

- DC Comics: Their last bunch of presidents are fictional, ignoring Lex Luthor which was ridiculous. I think they ended with Bill Clinton and then had a bunch of fictional presidents. Marvel comics tries to keep it current/authentic, it's currentlyl Obama.

- Various stories: Hitler died on such-and-such day? Nope

Edited on 07/13/2010 5:57am
    Edited 4 total times.

kanniballl

[58]Jul 12, 2010

amaryllis88 wrote:
    So, what are y'alls thoughts on what Ms. Frederick is going to do with the Pearl of Wisdom?

It can be assumed Fredericks gave it to them. Then again, she is mysterious and possessed at least some artifacts in secret (the crystal necklace for example). So maybe it will come up again.

Not everything has to be explicit.

It was an old school of thought that everything had to be explicit in film and TV. If the hero said he was going to go to Location B we'd seen him leave in the car from Location A and stop at a building with a sign showing that it's Location B.

They eventually realized it's redundant, they only have so many minutes to fill.

The big recent one that had the forum in flames was a recent Smallville episode from 1-2 seasons ago. Clark was without his super powers and needed to get to the Fortress of Solitude quickly. Chloe threw him the octagonal key he kept hidden in a book. Said key was used *many* times in the show to teleport people from the native america caves to the fortress.

And what was in the forums the next day? Over 100 posts of "OMG PLOT HOLE HOW DID CLARK GET TO FORTRESS WITHOUT SUPER SPEED LOL LOZER WRITERS."

Edited on 07/12/2010 8:31pm

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[59]Jul 13, 2010
    • level: 13
    sramv9 wrote:

Slugsie wrote:
    A below average episode by a long way for me. H G Wells was a woman? Seriously? But the absolute worst bit by far, was another example of American jingoism. Hint, the US Secret Service has zero, nil, zilch, nada, no powers at all outside of the USA. So if you're in London, and someone walks up to you and declares that they are US Secret Service and starts barking orders the correct response is to tell the where to shove it and ignore them. I hope this series picks up *a lot*. Whilst it's 'science' is a joke, roughly on a par with the science in Fringe it is normally at least entertaining fun.
    I thought this was a sub-par episode too (although I'd put Fringe's science up against that of this show any day - not that that is setting the bar very high or anything!). Not up to the standard of last season, such as it was. & I agree it was silly way they were able to negotiate rights to crowd control out of country. All I can say about the rest of the season is there is lots of room for improvement!

If these are the only two points that made the episode bad then I beg to differ. HG Wells getting the ideas for his writing from his sister was not a far stretch and would not be the first time a major writer got their stories from someone else. Also, in regards to the US Secret Service not having jurisdiction in another country, we all know that to be true, however, if you watched the scene carefully, Myka and Pete took on the Secret Service posture as a result of desparation. They tried to find a clue on the guess list that would point to HG Wells. Pete had a strong vibe that HG Wells was there in the room. They were unable to find anything to help find H.G. Wells and Pete kind've in desparation decided to persue the Secret Service path. Also, not everybody is knowledgable about the jurisdiction of the Secret Service and Pete was probably dependent upon that to pull off his plan. It was not a great plan but not bad enough an idea to say that having that part in the show was ridiculus.

nolefan32

[60]Jul 13, 2010
    Everyone making such a big deal over the H.G. Wells thing, from what I got, there were two H.G. Wellses: Herbert George, the writer, and his sister, Helena, the genius who gave him all the ideas to write about. She clearly makes a statement about her brother George "providing the mustache" (i.e., the male face that the era would have found more palatable). It's not as if they're saying that Herbert George never existed, only that he wasn't the one who was the true creative genius.

You also act as if this is the first time that the series has monkeyed with a well known famous person. Never minding all the famous people who had a finger in the establishment of the warehouse (Tesla, Edison, etc.), one of the best episodes of the series (at least in my opinion) was Duped, which took a lot of liberties with Lewis Carroll and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Because of that, if you're going to get upset because the show takes a few liberties with history, I find it fascinating you'd wait until now.