TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Warehouse 13 Forums

Syfy (ended 2014)

Official Discusson Thread: Secret Santa (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Dec 5, 2010
    • level: 102
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 12/7/10 episode "Secret Santa" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ott666

[2]Dec 7, 2010
    • level: 8
    I thought Myka left in the last episode. I guess this holiday episode was to be shown out of order of the season series.

danharr

[3]Dec 7, 2010
    • level: 45

Well it's nice to get the now-a-days rare Christmas episode it did it's job I can say giving us a seasonal showing and it was nice to see Myka again even though the lack of continuity was off putting.

GuySutton

[4]Dec 8, 2010
    • level: 2
    This is an extract of the recap from the end of episode 12.

"Mrs. Frederic then appears and Myka gives her a letter to give to Artie. She insists that it should never have come to the world being seconds away from destruction, and that she can't take that chance again.

Later, Mrs. Frederic reads Myka's letter to the others. In it, Myka explains that she can't stay. She admits that Pete is the big brother she never had, and Pete runs out to find her. Mrs. Frederic continues to read Myka's words to Leena, Claudia, and Artie, saying she loves them all.

Pete runs outside but can only watch as Myka drives down the road, away from Warehouse 13."

I have just started episode 13 and it is business as usual, as if nothing happened. I must admit I haven't watched the whole episode but it is really confusing that the farewell resignation letter hasn't been explained.

GuySutton

[5]Dec 8, 2010
    • level: 2
    GuySutton wrote:
    This is an extract of the recap from the end of episode 12.

"Mrs. Frederic then appears and Myka gives her a letter to give to Artie. She insists that it should never have come to the world being seconds away from destruction, and that she can't take that chance again.

Later, Mrs. Frederic reads Myka's letter to the others. In it, Myka explains that she can't stay. She admits that Pete is the big brother she never had, and Pete runs out to find her. Mrs. Frederic continues to read Myka's words to Leena, Claudia, and Artie, saying she loves them all.

Pete runs outside but can only watch as Myka drives down the road, away from Warehouse 13."

I have just started episode 13 and it is business as usual, as if nothing happened. I must admit I haven't watched the whole episode but it is really confusing that the farewell resignation letter hasn't been explained.

and even if episode 13 was filmed out of sequence it is so dodgy putting it on the air without a much needed intro to explain what the F. is going on with the show.

zitzitta

[6]Dec 8, 2010
    GuySutton wrote:

and even if episode 13 was filmed out of sequence it is so dodgy putting it on the air without a much needed intro to explain what the F. is going on with the show.

Exactly!! If they wanted a Xmas "filler", why not wait till Xmas??? (don't mistake me, though, I've loved this episode: I'd been missing Warehouse13 like crazy!!)

thetruesora

[7]Dec 8, 2010
    • level: 22
    There was a couple of inconsistencies if this is meant to be set a little bit before the events of "Reset". Claudia saying it being her first christmas with them when there should of been a christmas time sometime in season one after she joined them. This surely should of been while Helena had joined them so she should of been mentioned. If this was just meant as an out of continuity episode (as implied with Pete and Myka talking while it showed the storybook at the start), then having all that stuff with Artie's dad is pointless since it means it didn't really happen.

VConn

[8]Dec 8, 2010
    • level: 17

I wanted to watch this however since it apparently ignores the pre established storyline I'm going to ignore it and pretend it never happened, I'll just wait until the next season starts properly.

zitzitta

[9]Dec 8, 2010
    VConn wrote:

I wanted to watch this however since it apparently ignores the pre established storyline I'm going to ignore it and pretend it never happened, I'll just wait until the next season starts properly.

Noooooooooooo!! Don't do that! Forget about continuity and just enjoy the show: it was a good one, I swear! I'd have rather had it around Xmas Eve but beggars...

Dragonsi2

[10]Dec 8, 2010
    • level: 6

Ok, here it goes, all the gripes already!

This was supposed to be a "feel good, happy ending Christmas spirited episode", so take it for what it's worth.

I knew, way back when this was first announced, that it would probably have Myka in it, once we saw the season finale. Do all you complainers REALLY want there to be no Myka in the first scene, and have Artie and Claudia all sad, saying they would enjoy Christmas more if she was here with them, and everyone down in the dumps? Would that make you feel better if it was more "timeline accurate"?? Would you rather have an actor or producer do a voice over saying, "we know Myka technically left last episode but these events happened LAST YEAR, or we wanted to include her blah blah." That would certainly be OOC (out of character). That would certainly be a sad episode to me, and not very "feel good" at all.

The storybook said, "Once upon a time in South Dakota..." meaning this could have happened last Christmas, but the honest fact is, Syfy didn't know WH13 would be a big hit, and hadn't asked for a specific Christmas episode, etc.

Larry Noodle was "Scrooge-like", not mean orrude, but just too busy with work, and making money, to be home with his 10 year old daughter. "Old Larry's spirit" showed him what was more important in life, and he was to change his ways or else, another Scrooge reference.

SInce Helena's crisis situation was remedied in the last "normal timeline episode", they really didn't have much of a cliff-hanger type storyline left, and Myka's departure was the best they could do.

Now Myka's situation will be remedied 1 of 3 ways:

1.) Either the Reagents will conviene and go to her home and convince her to come back in the first episode or

2.) This will give Claudia a few episodes to be a field agent with Pete as her partner and Myka will come back in episode 3-4-5, or

3.) Perhaps she was written out of next season, either her choice or the producer's decision, but I doubt that, plus by now, we would have heard an official word on that in the gossip news.

BarryWeen3

[11]Dec 8, 2010
    • level: 14
    I agree with the poster above me, stop griping about it being out of continuity or filler. It's another Warehouse 13 episode, it's a Christmas episode, they paired it with Eureka's Christmas episode, and both were about Santa in a way.

The episode was fun and both storylines were about reuniting a child with their parent. Callie and her dad, Artie and his dad. The opening scene was hilarious especiallly the whole original Mistletoe, heh, heh, I'm still laughing thinking about it when Artie suddenly kisses Clauida's brother, realizes what he's doing, drops him, he says "ow!" and Artie goes this is why I don't like the holidays. I don't know why, but that scene was hilarious to me.

I kinda of liked all of Claudia's antics the best out of the episode, her decorations using artifacts leading to the Artie kiss scene, how she went about reuniting Artie and his dad, and at the end her Christmas gifts to everyone of t-shirts emblazoned with the artifact that almost killed each one of them. Great touch and typical Claudia.

Take this episode for what it is, a whimsical Christmas-themed episode.

amaryllis88

[12]Dec 9, 2010
    • level: 20
    I'm agreeing with the posters who just like this episode because it's a new episode of WH13! So, it's out of order, or filler, who cares?! It was another kitschy episode of our show, with Pete AND Myka, and the rest of the gang.

It was good, and I enjoyed it. The way it opened up with the pop up book, and the way it ended in the same style.

Laserwolf412

[13]Dec 9, 2010
    • level: 5

The continuity issue didn't both me at all because I completely forgot how the last episode ended and didn't realize this was out of order until I just now saw this thread. Now that I remember, I still don't care. This is Warehouse 13 people, not 24.

I did however check out this thread in hopes to see if anyone else shares my opinion that the shows is going way too slapstick for its own good. Of course the show is supposed to be a little goofy, and if it was just the Christmas episode that would be fine as well, but this whole last season is pushing it. I hope they put things back into balance a little better because a good balance would make the goofy stuff funnier and the serious stuff more dramatic.

Edited on 12/09/2010 5:30pm

MichaudMR

[14]Dec 9, 2010
    • level: 17

What about just enjoying the Christmas special for it's own sake? The kids and I had fun spotting all of the holiday references like the hat on the Sphinxin the opening. Judd Hirsch was perfect as Artie's dad. I'm also gratified to see Myka, as it leads me to believe joanne Kelly will continue with the show next season.

VincentMagius

[15]Dec 10, 2010
    I'm going to take this episode as one of those episodes that's kind of forced in where we keep half and handwave half. We need to handwave it's Claudia's first Christmas and that this episode somehow took place between McAlister's death and Helena joining the team.

We can probably keep that they found a Christmas artifact and, Artie and Izzy reconciled.

Really, it's just a fun episode for Christmas, and it's nice to see a Christmas episode. I don't think I've seen a new Christmas episode in years. They seem to be on a decline. Well, Futurama did one, but I can't remember any other shows I watch doing one.

rondetto

[16]Dec 10, 2010
    • level: 3

It will be totally spoilt without Myka. It's getting used to the characters that make a good show. Monk has not really been

as good since Sharona left, and I doubt Warehouse would be the same without Myka.

Princess_Pinky

[17]Dec 10, 2010
    • level: 11

Okay, I just skimmed the first page and saw many of the continuity comments and haven't read anything else...

I'm tired of hearing about all the"it ignores continuity" comments. It doesn't. It just doesn't reference any kind of definitivetimeline (other than obviously that it happens after the Poe incident). Thus, it's either pre-finale or post-Myka's return (because really, how is she not going to return?). I don't see the problem. Now, if they blatantly rewrote canon, then I would have a problem, but in fact they stuck to it pretty well, with mentions about Myka's relationship with her father, how he used to be (like Larry), that she grew up in a Mom & Pop shop, Pete mentioning his sister again (I wonder if his deaf sister is the "kid sister" or if he has more than one sister?), and the song Artie wrote for his dad.

In my mind, it was set pre-finale. I think it was mentioned that they'd been at The Warehouse for at least six months or something, so they could've spent a Christmas at The Warehouse. I think I heard that one of the writers on Twitter also mentioned that it was set pre- "Vendetta," but never saw the Tweet myself.

Anyway, I liked the episode, it was a really cute, feel good family episode. Loved the Artie and Claudia lines and interaction, as usual! It was nice to see Joshua and his interaction with Claud again. And of course Myka and Pete were gold! All the continuity references were awesome and I was thrilled to see Artie's dad. Perfect casting. lol I did wish we would've had a little more Leena (since it was the get together "family ep"), but since they were trying so hard to hide Genelle's pregnancy, I understand why we barely saw her. At least she was there to introduce us to Artie's picture. lol And the Artie/Joshua mistletoe kiss was HILARIOUS! I wasn't expecting that at all but I laughed so hard! I kind of wished that Myka and Pete had accidentally kissed though. Pete reaching out and making kissy noises at Myka made me giggle. The whole cast was spot on and the artifacts were pretty cool, though they were a bit more fantastical than usual.

Edited on 12/10/2010 9:17am
    Edited 2 total times.

babelak

[18]Dec 10, 2010
    • level: 12

two words: total cheesefest.

DanielRichards0

[19]Dec 10, 2010
    • level: 7
    I thought they had released a press release that explained this episode was meant to be a special holiday episode with and timewise occured earlier in the series then the events of "RESET", I remember reading here about the time RESET aired that this episode was going to be "out of sync", and based on my math of the events mentioned its time position would be after season 2 begins but before HG joins the team.

Also as for the Myka leaving aspect of RESET, The show didn't get renewed for a 3rd season till like a week before RESET aired so when they wrote and filmed the episode they had no idea wether they where getting a third season so they wrote a "tearjerker" ending to give the fans a definitive ending (that so few shows get) but at the same time it's something that could realatively easily be reversed if the show got renewed, which it did, so I would say expect to see Myka return.

BarryWeen3

[20]Dec 11, 2010
    • level: 14
    DanielRichards0 wrote:
    I thought they had released a press release that explained this episode was meant to be a special holiday episode with and timewise occured earlier in the series then the events of "RESET", I remember reading here about the time RESET aired that this episode was going to be "out of sync", and based on my math of the events mentioned its time position would be after season 2 begins but before HG joins the team.

Also as for the Myka leaving aspect of RESET, The show didn't get renewed for a 3rd season till like a week before RESET aired so when they wrote and filmed the episode they had no idea wether they where getting a third season so they wrote a "tearjerker" ending to give the fans a definitive ending (that so few shows get) but at the same time it's something that could realatively easily be reversed if the show got renewed, which it did, so I would say expect to see Myka return.

Was the whole Myka leaving in the season finale also because the actress was pregnant? If someone mentioned this earlier, I didn't notice or I forgot.

I ask because Joanne Kelly showed up as a guest star on CSI: Miami's 200th episode playing the character of a pregnant woman.

I could have sworn I read somewhere she was pregnant or I'm hallucinating things...