Warehouse 13 Forums

Syfy (ended 2014)

Resonance Official Discussion (Spoilers)

OnePerCentClub

[1]Jul 9, 2009
    • level: 35

Second (or third) episode is coming up Tuesday July 14th.

Please discuss this episode here.

Do not discuss other episodes in this thread.

Thanks!

Edited on 07/16/2009 11:32am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sinjaceheroes

[2]Jul 14, 2009
    • level: 14
    Hmm, so there is a ghost in the machines. Interesting.

sonicmctails

[3]Jul 14, 2009
    • level: 5
    Absolutely and completely loved it. The title sequence was absolutely awesome, as well as the football. I also think we're seeing a Eureka-like format where there's an overarcing plot which will be the b-story of most episodes until the end of the session when its blown up to the front.

Also nice to see Dickinson will not be a one-shot character after all.

cheez-it277

[4]Jul 15, 2009
    • level: 3

Well, I liked the pilot and think that the show has an intriguing premise, leads with good chemistry, decent writing, and a lot of potential for very interesting single-episode plots, multi-episode story arcs and longer-term plot developments (I think a potential one of these was alluded to in the final scene of this episode). That said, I think this particular episode had two plot holes which infuriated me as I watched.

1. The Warehouse is, taken from the show, a place to store the unexplainable. The record was not unexplained, in fact, it's power was explained by multiple characters multiple times during the course of the story. Sure, it is dangerous, but that's not the point of the Warehouse.

2. WHY DIDN'T THE ROBBERS JUST STEAL THE F#$*ING MUSIC? If you had a magical record that could make people docile, why would you use it to break into a highly secured bank when you could just walk into the office of the boss of ONE OF THE ROBBERS take the key, walk into the basement and steal the music. That made no sense to me.

I'll keep watching, and I hope that the single-episode stories are more like the one shown in the pilot, which was very interesting, but if the show continues down this path of nonsensical plots involving relatively low stakes (really, you're going to dispatch the only two people in the world charged with collecting unexplainable objects to deal with BANK ROBBERIES?) and characters making unexplainable decisions for no reason, I will probably stop watching.

Side note, I wonder if Dan Dickinson's name is a shout-out to my college.

Kalel18

[5]Jul 15, 2009
    • level: 11
    cheez-it277 wrote:

Well, I liked the pilot and think that the show has an intriguing premise...That said, I think this particular episode had two plot holes which infuriated me as I watched.

1. The Warehouse is, taken from the show, a place to store the unexplainable. The record was not unexplained, in fact, it's power was explained by multiple characters multiple times during the course of the story. Sure, it is dangerous, but that's not the point of the Warehouse.

2. WHY DIDN'T THE ROBBERS JUST STEAL THE F#$*ING MUSIC? If you had a magical record that could make people docile, why would you use it to break into a highly secured bank when you could just walk into the office of the boss of ONE OF THE ROBBERS take the key, walk into the basement and steal the music. That made no sense to me

As to your first point, I don't believe the Warehouse is there just to store the unexplained, but also dangerous technology which the government wants to keep out of the hands of the public. Perhaps in the show promos only mentioned "the unexplained", but I don't believe the intent of producers was to limit the artifacts to only the unexplained.

As to your second point: I believe the answer lies in the title of the episode, "Resonance". It was explained that the acoustic properties of the banks in question (marble and stone) acted to amplify and reinforce the subliminal nature of the music. "...something in the source material is amplified by the banks' designs..." So I guess we can assume that the boss's office is probably wood paneled, with plush pile carpeting.

What I would like to see, and I'm sure it will br fleshed out in further episodes, is more of the back story of Warehouse 13. Also, I'll bet there are factions within the U.S. government, and corporate America - the Military/Industrial Complex - who would love to get their hands on some of the technology, and not for purely altruistic reasons. Since Warehouse 13 unashamedly borrows ideas from so many other shows, why not introduce some shadowy, sinister cabal that is trying to thwart their good efforts, and use the technology for there own evil purposes, ala Sanctuary or even The X-Files? Or is that pushing it too far?

Edited on 07/15/2009 10:29am
    Edited 2 total times.

amaryllis88

[6]Jul 15, 2009
    • level: 20

Good points made Kale18!! I like your explanations, they make sense, and I'm hoping they're true too!

I really liked this episode so far...unfortunately my DVR cut off the last ten minutes of programming, and am now currently watching it again on the SyFy channel's website. The premise for this ep is pretty cool, Fringe did something similar to the whole bank robbery thing, but instead of using music, they did something that shifted the make-up of the bank walls where the robbers could walk thru the walls. Yeah, pretty freaky stuff, but very interesting.

I liked finding out more about Myka's past, that's pretty juicy, the whole having an affair, supposedly, and I think we'll keep hearing bits and pieces of her unfortunate circumstances in Denver. I love how Artie's character has progressed, the whole security breach thing was pretty cool, having him trace it to Dickenson's office, also cool, finding out that it's being re-routed, even cooler.

Interesting trio of bank robbers. I was thinking it was definitely the secretary who was spraying the perfume, and the engineer guy looked shifty, the musician's care-taker took me off guard though, so what a twist to who was involved. I'll come back after watching the ending and continue my thoughts/comments.

OnePerCentClub

[7]Jul 15, 2009
    Hey amaryllis, nice to see you here! I haven't watched this episode by I soon will.
    I really enjoyed the pilot. It looks like a good series.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[8]Jul 16, 2009
    • level: 13
    I wonder who the female was at the end of the show when they had traced the computer hacker and there was a flash. I was able to slow it down and got a clear picture of the female but wonder how she will be added into future episodes...

Kalel18

[9]Jul 16, 2009
    amaryllis88 wrote:
    Interesting trio of bank robbers. I was thinking it was definitely the secretary who was spraying the perfume, and the engineer guy looked shifty, the musician's care-taker took me off guard though, so what a twist to who was involved. I'll come back after watching the ending and continue my thoughts/comments.

I was also surprised by the trio of bank robbers. The care-taker was so sincere!

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    I wonder who the female was at the end of the show when they had traced the computer hacker and there was a flash. I was able to slow it down and got a clear picture of the female but wonder how she will be added into future episodes...

Yeah, what was that all about? They have piqued my curiosity.

I admit to being somewhat skeptical about the show initially. However, I will keep watching for the time being, as the first two episodes have been pretty good. This series may have some "legs".
    Edited on 07/16/2009 7:55am

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[10]Jul 16, 2009
    • level: 13
    Kalel18 wrote:
    amaryllis88 wrote:

I was also surprised by the trio of bank robbers. The care-taker was so sincere!

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:

Yeah, what was that all about? They have piqued my curiosity.

I admit to being somewhat skeptical about the show initially. However, I will keep watching for the time being, as the first two episodes have been pretty good. This series may have some "legs".
    I slowed down that last scene as slow as possible and was able to make out many images that they purposely sped through. When he pulled the switch back and the flash occured, they showed him in Warehouse 13 looking pensive as if he was on the brink of figuring something out, they showed him going to someone's house, they showed him in chains as if he was captured, they showed him with a lady that was never shown before in the show and later showed him with that same lady seemingly avoiding some unknown force. What does it all mean?

haldrey

[11]Jul 17, 2009
    • level: 22
    Good second episode, good follow up of the pilot but with everything moving much faster. The show is somewhat strange but in a good way, while watching it I get flashes of Eureka, Torchwood and bits of Sanctuary.

Hey Kalel18, your explanations went right to the point.

amaryllis88

[12]Jul 17, 2009
    I tried watching this the other day and the show kept freezing on me, also, I think Kalel18's italics might not be closed in your signature area of your posts. It's making the rest of our posts italicized.

Going to try and watch this episode right now for the 3rd time, hopefully that's the charm, I'm so curious as to what everyone has been talking about the figuring of the flash, and the resolving of the bank heists.

Nice to see you too OnePerCentClub !!

Kalel18

[13]Jul 17, 2009

amaryllis88 wrote:
    I tried watching this the other day and the show kept freezing on me, also, I think Kalel18's italics might not be closed in your signature area of your posts. It's making the rest of our posts italicized.
    Going to try and watch this episode right now for the 3rd time, hopefully that's the charm, I'm so curious as to what everyone has been talking about the figuring of the flash, and the resolving of the bank heists.
    Nice to see you too OnePerCentClub !!
    Wow. Sorry about that, Amaryllis88. You were right, I was missing the slash. I'm learning as I go! Trying to spruce things up a bit. Thanks for the heads-up.

I think I'm going to watch the end of the episode again, and go slo-mo, or frame-by-frame at the end, just to see what Mostcapableone was talking about. Enjoy your viewing!

And, thank you also, haldrey.

Edited on 07/17/2009 3:22pm

amaryllis88

[14]Jul 17, 2009
    Kalel18 wrote:
    Wow. Sorry about that, Amaryllis88. You were right, I was missing the slash. I'm learning as I go! Trying to spruce things up a bit. Thanks for the heads-up.

I think I'm going to watch the end of the episode again, and go slo-mo, or frame-by-frame at the end, just to see what Mostcapableone was talking about. Enjoy your viewing!

And, thank you also, haldrey.

Yeah no problem, the same thing happened to me, I didn't close one of my colored brackets, and everybody else's post following mine was either all blue or red. Took me some time to figure that out too. Good luck with that!

Ok, could somebody just give me the gist of what happened after Lattimer recognized the perfume smell on Myka's wrist? He remembered that it was the secretary's perfume...what happened next?

Kalel18

[15]Jul 17, 2009
    amaryllis88 wrote:
    Ok, could somebody just give me the gist of what happened after Lattimer recognized the perfume smell on Myka's wrist? He remembered that it was the secretary's perfume...what happened next?
    SyFy is rebroadcasting it yet again. Tonight, 9pm CDT, after Eureka. If you can't catch it, I'll give you a recap. I'll check back in a bit.

amaryllis88

[16]Jul 17, 2009
    Kalel18 wrote:
    amaryllis88 wrote:
    SyFy is rebroadcasting it yet again. Tonight, 9pm CDT, after Eureka. If you can't catch it, I'll give you a recap. I'll check back in a bit.

I saw that!! I'm recording/watching it right now, I'm so glad they decided to re-broadcast it.

ClassicTV_Fan

[17]Jul 17, 2009
    • level: 3
    Seems like WH13 looks something like the final resting place for the Ark of the Covenant at the end of the first Indiana Jones movie. A place for storing dangerous stuff. Love the show. Good acting, accessable charecters, decent writing. And lots of fun.

Found myself thinking of what ancient artifact could create the "resonance" such as the sound emitted by Gabriel's horn that brought down the walls of Jericho. The final source was a surprise.

OnePerCentClub

[18]Jul 17, 2009
    You're right Classic TVFan.

The episode was very good and entertaining. Artie was hilarious and it will be great to know what the heck happened in the end scene, what those flashbacks mean.

Poor Myka. What kind of childhood she must've had. I don't know how long Pete and Myka have known, probably since they met at that event, but it's nice to see Pete give her advice on something most people would say 'stay out of it'. And well, she listened.

Can't wait for the next episode.

Kalel18

[19]Jul 18, 2009

OnePerCentClub wrote:
    The episode was very good and entertaining. Artie was hilarious and it will be great to know what the heck happened in the end scene, what those flashbacks mean.
    Ladies and gentlemen, don't throw out those old VCR's just yet. The old analog technology is still superior in some respects. I tried slowing down Artie's "vision" using the pause button on my DVR - no slo-mo function, alas, at least on my DirecTV DVR - but it just didn't do the trick. So I videotaped it and ran it back frame by frame, and the results were amazing. There are about twenty or more separate images packed into less than 2 seconds of screen time, between when he first sees the flash of light and when he is seen on the floor muttering:"who's there? Someone's there."

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    I slowed down that last scene as slow as possible and was able to make out many images that they purposely sped through. When he pulled the switch back and the flash occurred, they showed him in Warehouse 13 looking pensive as if he was on the brink of figuring something out, they showed him going to someone's house, they showed him in chains as if he was captured, they showed him with a lady that was never shown before in the show and later showed him with that same lady seemingly avoiding some unknown force. What does it all mean?
    I want to expand a little on what Mostcapable was able to decipher. I believe Artie's "flash" was a combination of precognitive vision, and maybe flashback. It does not proceed in a linear fashion, but jumps back and forth. There are definitely three separate locations. We only see him entering the house once, and I don't know the significance. The common element to the other two locations, his office and the location where he seems to be held captive (more on second location below), is an extremely bright flash of light, "the force" that appears (always above him, off camera) which seems to cause him considerable consternation.

The mysterious, pretty, young redhead appears to be in the second location with him - he is handcuffed at the time. Is she his captor? His savior? There is also something odd going on in the background of the second location. In normal light it is intentionally blurred out, yet when the flash occurs, you can make out three separate "hot spots" in the blue-white light. What are they? I have a notion, but I'm not saying. Finally, there are two separate shots of Arnie in a possible fourth? location, the background is blacked-out, you only see Artie looking at something off-screen. He is dressed differently, and not wearing his glasses. His expression is neutral. At the end you see Artie (at normal speed) on the floor with the camera zooming in on him. At first there is something seen on his chest, or coat, which actually looks like a red valentine heart. As the camera zooms, it fades out, and as Artie mutters: "Who's there? Someone's there", Artie hears another voice saying: "Stop...he's not going to stop her!". At that point his vision ends.

I think we have to start paying attention to the minutia on Warehouse 13. I believe there are going to be a lot of embedded clues in each episode, to some secret, ala Fringe. For example: I believe the "2nd location" seen in his vision is the same location that is seen very briefly during the show's opening title sequence. The title sequence shows a series of old sepia style photos, offering a glimpse of Warehouse 13's history. One of those shows the interior of a spacious high-ceilinged room, with statuary scattered about. A museum? Late 1800s to early 1900s? - as indicated by the next photo which shows the exterior of (same?) building with Japanese ideographs printed on the wall, and someone on the opposite street corner wearing a Japanese style robe. The architecture of the interior shot appears to be the same as that of the location in Artie's vision!

The last thing I question seemed casual at first glance, yet I believe it to be significant. When Artie is doing his thing in Daniel Dickenson's office, Dickenson is seen reading a catalog. The cover of the catalog prominently features the face of a man, who, coincidently, looks very similar to Dickenson. The camera shows the face in two separate shots as Dickenson picks-up and puts-down the catalog. Is there some, as yet to be revealed, connection to this man?

Last question. Do I have too much time on my hands, or what?

Edited on 07/18/2009 3:44pm
    Edited 2 total times.

amaryllis88

[20]Jul 18, 2009
    Kale18 Wow!! What a description of what you saw, that is super cool! Thanks for taking the time to type all that out and let us know what you're thinking.

So after multiple times of trying to watch this one episode, I finally saw the ending that I originally missed. Very good! I'm liking how Myka and Pete just took the artifact that they were searching, and discreetly maneuvered themselves away from the home. I'm so glad that's how it played out, I would've left them alone too, considering they no longer work for law enforcement per se, and mainly for Warehouse 13 stuff.

I'm quite curious about Dickenson's character, I thought he was going to be that 1 stand by character they had to use in the pilot, but he seems to be playing a bigger role than people expect him to play. That "flash" of stuff, wow, a blink of the eye type thing, totally missed everything that Kale18 was so gracious enough to point out to us. Can't wait for more episodes!!