Warehouse 13 Forums

Syfy (ended 2014)

Resonance Official Discussion (Spoilers)

Kalel18

[21]Jul 18, 2009
    • level: 11
    amaryllis88 wrote:
    I'm quite curious about Dickenson's character, I thought he was going to be that 1 stand by character they had to use in the pilot, but he seems to be playing a bigger role than people expect him to play. That "flash" of stuff, wow, a blink of the eye type thing, totally missed everything that Kale18 was so gracious enough to point out to us. Can't wait for more episodes!!
    Thanks. And yeah, that was the short version! It took a lot of frame-by-frame, back and forth to catch it . I agree with you about Dickenson. He knows more, or there's something more going on with him, than meets the eye. I'm with you. Looking forward to further episodes!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tjaman

[22]Jul 18, 2009
    • level: 32
    I'm enjoying the heck out of this show. More detailed opinion in my podcast here. Enjoy!

nyjets111

[23]Jul 19, 2009
    • level: 4
    Kalel18 wrote:
    cheez-it277 wrote:

Well, I liked the pilot and think that the show has an intriguing premise...That said, I think this particular episode had two plot holes which infuriated me as I watched.

1. The Warehouse is, taken from the show, a place to store the unexplainable. The record was not unexplained, in fact, it's power was explained by multiple characters multiple times during the course of the story. Sure, it is dangerous, but that's not the point of the Warehouse.

2. WHY DIDN'T THE ROBBERS JUST STEAL THE F#$*ING MUSIC? If you had a magical record that could make people docile, why would you use it to break into a highly secured bank when you could just walk into the office of the boss of ONE OF THE ROBBERS take the key, walk into the basement and steal the music. That made no sense to me

As to your first point, I don't believe the Warehouse is there just to store the unexplained, but also dangerous technology which the government wants to keep out of the hands of the public. Perhaps in the show promos only mentioned "the unexplained", but I don't believe the intent of producers was to limit the artifacts to only the unexplained.

As to your second point: I believe the answer lies in the title of the episode, "Resonance". It was explained that the acoustic properties of the banks in question (marble and stone) acted to amplify and reinforce the subliminal nature of the music. "...something in the source material is amplified by the banks' designs..." So I guess we can assume that the boss's office is probably wood paneled, with plush pile carpeting.

What I would like to see, and I'm sure it will br fleshed out in further episodes, is more of the back story of Warehouse 13. Also, I'll bet there are factions within the U.S. government, and corporate America - the Military/Industrial Complex - who would love to get their hands on some of the technology, and not for purely altruistic reasons. Since Warehouse 13 unashamedly borrows ideas from so many other shows, why not introduce some shadowy, sinister cabal that is trying to thwart their good efforts, and use the technology for there own evil purposes, ala Sanctuary or even The X-Files? Or is that pushing it too far?

Also with respect to the second point, they actual stand a better chance of getting away with robbing the banks than the music. They rob some banks, launder the money and then buy the music. It is very unlikely anyone would connect robbing the banks and buying the music. Also, the bank robberies are clean, ie no one is hurt or killed. Eventually they, the crimes, will wind up in the unsolved bin and because no one was hurt in the robbery no one is going to be really upset about this. If they steal the music, there is a good chance that the crime will be linked to them and they would be caught.

danharr

[24]Jul 19, 2009
    • level: 45
    Ok episode I have to bring my standards down to the shows level. This is no Eureka so when they go cheesy it's really hard like the way these special agents get compromised and then theres the whole walking boom box criminals but nice seeing into agent Berings past. Oh well still fun campy in it's own way another enjoyable episode for all it is.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[25]Jul 20, 2009
    • level: 13
    Kalel18 wrote:

OnePerCentClub wrote:
    The episode was very good and entertaining. Artie was hilarious and it will be great to know what the heck happened in the end scene, what those flashbacks mean.
    Ladies and gentlemen, don't throw out those old VCR's just yet. The old analog technology is still superior in some respects. I tried slowing down Artie's "vision" using the pause button on my DVR - no slo-mo function, alas, at least on my DirecTV DVR - but it just didn't do the trick. So I videotaped it and ran it back frame by frame, and the results were amazing. There are about twenty or more separate images packed into less than 2 seconds of screen time, between when he first sees the flash of light and when he is seen on the floor muttering:"who's there? Someone's there."

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    I slowed down that last scene as slow as possible and was able to make out many images that they purposely sped through. When he pulled the switch back and the flash occurred, they showed him in Warehouse 13 looking pensive as if he was on the brink of figuring something out, they showed him going to someone's house, they showed him in chains as if he was captured, they showed him with a lady that was never shown before in the show and later showed him with that same lady seemingly avoiding some unknown force. What does it all mean?
    I want to expand a little on what Mostcapable was able to decipher. I believe Artie's "flash" was a combination of precognitive vision, and maybe flashback. It does not proceed in a linear fashion, but jumps back and forth. There are definitely three separate locations. We only see him entering the house once, and I don't know the significance. The common element to the other two locations, his office and the location where he seems to be held captive (more on second location below), is an extremely bright flash of light, "the force" that appears (always above him, off camera) which seems to cause him considerable consternation.

The mysterious, pretty, young redhead appears to be in the second location with him - he is handcuffed at the time. Is she his captor? His savior? There is also something odd going on in the background of the second location. In normal light it is intentionally blurred out, yet when the flash occurs, you can make out three separate "hot spots" in the blue-white light. What are they? I have a notion, but I'm not saying. Finally, there are two separate shots of Arnie in a possible fourth? location, the background is blacked-out, you only see Artie looking at something off-screen. He is dressed differently, and not wearing his glasses. His expression is neutral. At the end you see Artie (at normal speed) on the floor with the camera zooming in on him. At first there is something seen on his chest, or coat, which actually looks like a red valentine heart. As the camera zooms, it fades out, and as Artie mutters: "Who's there? Someone's there", Artie hears another voice saying: "Stop...he's not going to stop her!". At that point his vision ends.

I think we have to start paying attention to the minutia on Warehouse 13. I believe there are going to be a lot of embedded clues in each episode, to some secret, ala Fringe. For example: I believe the "2nd location" seen in his vision is the same location that is seen very briefly during the show's opening title sequence. The title sequence shows a series of old sepia style photos, offering a glimpse of Warehouse 13's history. One of those shows the interior of a spacious high-ceilinged room, with statuary scattered about. A museum? Late 1800s to early 1900s? - as indicated by the next photo which shows the exterior of (same?) building with Japanese ideographs printed on the wall, and someone on the opposite street corner wearing a Japanese style robe. The architecture of the interior shot appears to be the same as that of the location in Artie's vision!

The last thing I question seemed casual at first glance, yet I believe it to be significant. When Artie is doing his thing in Daniel Dickenson's office, Dickenson is seen reading a catalog. The cover of the catalog prominently features the face of a man, who, coincidently, looks very similar to Dickenson. The camera shows the face in two separate shots as Dickenson picks-up and puts-down the catalog. Is there some, as yet to be revealed, connection to this man?

Last question. Do I have too much time on my hands, or what?

No. I don't think you have too much time on your hands. I think that you are a very thorough person that gives good descriptions. I believe a lot of our questions will be answered on 7/28 in an episode they will air entitled "Claudia". In this episode, Artie is supposed to be kidnapped by a woman who blames him for the death of her brother. I am not sure if the redhead we saw in the flashes is the woman that blames him. I could have sworn that in one of the flashes, it appeared to me that Artie was trying to shield someone (the redhead I think) from something or someone. I am anxiously awaiting the answers to our questions and thoughts.

This show is really picking up momentum to me and kind've has that "The Lost Room"/"Friday the 13th The Series"/"Torchwood" feel to it. And I agree that there probably will be clues in every episode that will bring out questions to the audience that will be answered in future episodes. By the way, when Artie took a picture off Dickenson with that old camera and turned him into cardboard I almost died laughing.

Kalel18

[26]Jul 20, 2009

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    I believe a lot of our questions will be answered on 7/28 in an episode they will air entitled "Claudia". In this episode, Artie is supposed to be kidnapped by a woman who blames him for the death of her brother. I am not sure if the redhead we saw in the flashes is the woman that blames him. I could have sworn that in one of the flashes, it appeared to me that Artie was trying to shield someone (the redhead I think) from something or someone. I am anxiously awaiting the answers to our questions and thoughts. This show is really picking up momentum to me and kind've has that "The Lost Room"/"Friday the 13th The Series"/"Torchwood" feel to it. And I agree that there probably will be clues in every episode that will bring out questions to the audience that will be answered in future episodes. By the way, when Artie took a picture off Dickenson with that old camera and turned him into cardboard I almost died laughing.

You were right about Artie shielding someone. I saw it also. I just didn't want to go on and on. As we only saw her forehead against Artie's chest it was impossible to tell for sure if it was the same person or not, but I believe it was.

I also thought I saw in one shot something very bizarre, even had notes on it, but upon reviewing I could not locate it again. So, that left one of two possibilities; a) it was a trick of dark and shadow, at the point I happened to freeze the frame, and I saw something that wasn't really there, or, b) I actually did see it, but the continuous back and forth of those frames over the playback head on my VCR effectively wiped the tape clean, erasing those frames. Anyhow, since I couldn't verify it, I didn't mention it before. And I'll leave it it that.

I think you are right on the mark re the "Claudia" episode. Thanks for the info. I will be watching, in fact, I'm going to set the DVR right now. I also laughed at the "Kodak moment", very funny. Thanks -K

DavidLegut

[27]Jul 20, 2009
    • level: 1
    maybe they should be writing scientific relevance stories that have nice engadget themes. i like the premise of warehouse 13, but please take the record player to the next level. Resonance has good theory value that did not hit the mark with slipping dialogue. thanks. retired film guys Chicago

Kalel18

[28]Jul 20, 2009

DavidLegut wrote:
    maybe they should be writing scientific relevance stories that have nice engadget themes. i like the premise of warehouse 13, but please take the record player to the next level. Resonance has good theory value that did not hit the mark with slipping dialogue. thanks. retired film guys Chicago
    I kind of like the quaintness of some of the objects. They actually look like they belong to the time frame in which they were discovered, or invented.

I respect your view, but I'm thinking that maybe the record player, with needle on vinyl, was just what they needed. Granted, they probably could have used a newer turntable, but if they had transferred it to digital format the music may have lost its hypnotic soothing quality. Just by transferring from analog to digital, the square waves of a digital system would have cut-out some of the highs and lows of the signal. The digital vs. analog argument has been ongoing among audiophiles for a long time.

With my lame explanation, I'm trying desperately to defend the writers from the naysayers.

Welcome to the discussion David.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[29]Jul 20, 2009
    Kalel18 wrote:

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    I believe a lot of our questions will be answered on 7/28 in an episode they will air entitled "Claudia". In this episode, Artie is supposed to be kidnapped by a woman who blames him for the death of her brother. I am not sure if the redhead we saw in the flashes is the woman that blames him. I could have sworn that in one of the flashes, it appeared to me that Artie was trying to shield someone (the redhead I think) from something or someone. I am anxiously awaiting the answers to our questions and thoughts. This show is really picking up momentum to me and kind've has that "The Lost Room"/"Friday the 13th The Series"/"Torchwood" feel to it. And I agree that there probably will be clues in every episode that will bring out questions to the audience that will be answered in future episodes. By the way, when Artie took a picture off Dickenson with that old camera and turned him into cardboard I almost died laughing.

You were right about Artie shielding someone. I saw it also. I just didn't want to go on and on. As we only saw her forehead against Artie's chest it was impossible to tell for sure if it was the same person or not, but I believe it was.

I also thought I saw in one shot something very bizarre, even had notes on it, but upon reviewing I could not locate it again. So, that left one of two possibilities; a) it was a trick of dark and shadow, at the point I happened to freeze the frame, and I saw something that wasn't really there, or, b) I actually did see it, but the continuous back and forth of those frames over the playback head on my VCR effectively wiped the tape clean, erasing those frames. Anyhow, since I couldn't verify it, I didn't mention it before. And I'll leave it it that.

I think you are right on the mark re the "Claudia" episode. Thanks for the info. I will be watching, in fact, I'm going to set the DVR right now. I also laughed at the "Kodak moment", very funny. Thanks -K

No problem.

But now you have peaked my curiosity. What did you think you saw? I still have the episode saved and can look at it again. I looked at it at least 15 times as I noticed that some flashes/clips were so fast that it could be missed if you didn't slow it down to the utmost slowest speed. By the way, do you know how I could contact the show to borrow that camera to have a few "Kodak" moments of my own???

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[30]Jul 20, 2009
    Kalel18 wrote:

DavidLegut wrote:
    I kind of like the quaintness of some of the objects. They actually look like they belong to the time frame in which they were discovered, or invented.

I respect your view, but I'm thinking that maybe the record player, with needle on vinyl, was just what they needed. Granted, they probably could have used a newer turntable, but if they had transferred it to digital format the music may have lost its hypnotic soothing quality. Just by transferring from analog to digital, the square waves of a digital system would have cut-out some of the highs and lows of the signal. The digital vs. analog argument has been ongoing among audiophiles for a long time.

With my lame explanation, I'm trying desperately to defend the writers from the naysayers.

Welcome to the discussion David.

To add to your point, I think that similar to "The Lost Room" these objects gain their special qualities in the time frame they were created. The record player and the Vinyl recording was needed in this episode as the musician recorded this song pre CD/Digital recordings. I believe it is not so much just the sound of the recording, it is the object that the recording was made on as well.

Kalel18

[31]Jul 21, 2009

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    ...now you have peaked my curiosity. What did you think you saw? I still have the episode saved and can look at it again. I looked at it at least 15 times as I noticed that some flashes/clips were so fast that it could be missed if you didn't slow it down to the utmost slowest speed. By the way, do you know how I could contact the show to borrow that camera to have a few "Kodak" moments of my own???
    Check your in-box. I wish I had that camera also. There are a few folks I would love to use it on.

-edit- By the way, I like your notion on the record player.

Edited on 07/21/2009 9:37am

luvinx

[32]Jul 21, 2009
    • level: 20

Awesome discussion here, guys. It is very fascinating stuff. Hi, by the way! I am hooked on this show already, so I should be around bothering all of you often.

You guys have covered things so well already, that I don't have much to add. But in regards to what you have been talking about, I just thought that we also may be in for some pretty awesome "time travel" elements, and perhaps that flashback contained some of that as well. Artie younger, Artie older, etc. I also remember how he explained that one of the guys in the photograph (of past members of W13 from the Pilot) was missing and that he was gonna find him. I am sure that will come into play in a future episodes as well. Perhaps he is even the brother of the girl who takes him hostage?

Thanks to you all for the great discussion, and your hard work looking into the flashback or whatever it was.

Oh, and a special HI to One!

Kalel18

[33]Jul 21, 2009
    luvinx wrote:

Awesome discussion here, guys. It is very fascinating stuff. Hi, by the way! I am hooked on this show already, so I should be around bothering all of you often.

You guys have covered things so well already, that I don't have much to add. But in regards to what you have been talking about, I just thought that we also may be in for some pretty awesome "time travel" elements, and perhaps that flashback contained some of that as well. Artie younger, Artie older, etc. I also remember how he explained that one of the guys in the photograph (of past members of W13 from the Pilot) was missing and that he was gonna find him. I am sure that will come into play in a future episodes as well. Perhaps he is even the brother of the girl who takes him hostage?

Thanks to you all for the great discussion, and your hard work looking into the flashback or whatever it was.

Hi, luvinx. And, welcome.

I remember thinking about Artie looking younger in two of the images, but never finished the thought, or mentioned it in original post. What you said, and from what I've read elsewhere has convinced me that he definitely was younger in two of the images - the ones I referred to of Artie without his glasses. So there was definitely a flashback element to the vision.

It will be interesting to see how the missing member comes into play. You may be right!

Didn't Artie also mention that one of the W-13 members was in an asylum?

Only three weeks into the series, and so many questions.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[34]Jul 21, 2009
    Kalel18 wrote:
    luvinx wrote:

Hi, luvinx. And, welcome.

I remember thinking about Artie looking younger in two of the images, but never finished the thought, or mentioned it in original post. What you said, and from what I've read elsewhere has convinced me that he definitely was younger in two of the images - the ones I referred to of Artie without his glasses. So there was definitely a flashback element to the vision.

It will be interesting to see how the missing member comes into play. You may be right!

Didn't Artie also mention that one of the W-13 members was in an asylum?

Only three weeks into the series, and so many questions.

Welcome Luvinx! Looking forward to your future posts. And Kale, you are right again! In the pilot, when Artie was asked who was the people in the picture with his boss, he had stated the the two people on each end (pointing and saying this one and that one) were dead. He further stated that the second gentlemen from the right side of the photo was in a mental institution in Germany and second gentlemen on the left side of the picture was missing (and stated one day he would find him). There was a total of six people in the picture. Do I love this show or what? Also, Kale, check your in box.

pepshi

[35]Jul 22, 2009
    • level: 1
    Hey, does anyone know the song playing? I mean, in the end, a tune is played on the piano...does anyone know where it's from?

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[36]Jul 22, 2009
    pepshi wrote:
    Hey, does anyone know the song playing? I mean, in the end, a tune is played on the piano...does anyone know where it's from?

I could be wrong but it sounds like Edward Rogers...

Kalel18

[37]Jul 22, 2009

Well it looks like we are about to get some answers to the questions generated by Artie's vision. Obviously, as seen in the trailer for "Claudia" and the promos, our mystery woman would appear to be Claudia, who kidnaps Artie. The promos say she blames him for her brother's death. So the next question is: was her brother a WH-13 team member? Maybe Pete and Myka were recruited to replace him.

If you haven't seen it yet there is a video on Scifiwire about Allison Scagliotti (Claudia) joining the cast - careful, there is definitely a spoiler in here :http://scifiwire.com/2009/04/allison-scagliotti-cast-i.php

O.K. we should probably carry-over this speculation to the "Magnetism" thread, but since it seems to be related to Artie's vision, I just want to ask: who do you think "HE" is, when Artie says "he's in" at the end of Magnetism? The suposedly dead brother? The missing team member referred to in the pilot? Someone else

Edited on 07/22/2009 8:30am

OnePerCentClub

[38]Jul 22, 2009
    • level: 35
    luvinx wrote:
    Thanks to you all for the great discussion, and your hard work looking into the flashback or whatever it was. Oh, and a special HI to One!

Hola Luvinx, I'm SO happy to see you here, yay!!!!

And thank you for coming here, my EHSM!

Michale32086

[39]Jul 23, 2009
    • level: 6

Am I the only crazy one???

Or did anyone else notice the 9/11 reference/tribute in this episode??

Here is a screen capture of the specific instance I am reference.

http://anything-goes.us/temp/911.jpg

I simply cannot comprehend how this could be a random configuration of office lights that would produce the numerals 9 and 11 and depict an American Flag. Especially when one considers that it's the FBI building that is being depicted.

But heck, what do I know.. I still believe that aliens from space crashed at Roswell in '47...

Michale.....

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[40]Jul 23, 2009
    Kalel18 wrote:

Well it looks like we are about to get some answers to the questions generated by Artie's vision. Obviously, as seen in the trailer for "Claudia" and the promos, our mystery woman would appear to be Claudia, who kidnaps Artie. The promos say she blames him for her brother's death. So the next question is: was her brother a WH-13 team member? Maybe Pete and Myka were recruited to replace him.

If you haven't seen it yet there is a video on Scifiwire about Allison Scagliotti (Claudia) joining the cast - careful, there is definitely a spoiler in here :http://scifiwire.com/2009/04/allison-scagliotti-cast-i.php

O.K. we should probably carry-over this speculation to the "Magnetism" thread, but since it seems to be related to Artie's vision, I just want to ask: who do you think "HE" is, when Artie says "he's in" at the end of Magnetism? The suposedly dead brother? The missing team member referred to in the pilot? Someone else

Kalel, you took the thought right out of my mind. I think the he is going to be her supposedly dead brother...who probably faked his death. I also think that at some point (since Allison Scagliotti is joining the cast), Allison is going to realize that Artie is either not at fault for the supposed death of her brother, his death was fake, and/or she is going to agree with Artie's actions concerned with her brother's supposed death. I say this as I saw clearly in one of those flashes in "Resonance" that Artie was shielding Claudia from someone or something. It seemed like for that moment they were on the same side. Perhaps Claudia finding out the true nature of her supposed dead brother and/or his connection to Warehouse 13 would have her become a recurring character to the show so that she could help the team. Her ability to track down the whereabouts of Warehouse 13 alone should be enough to ensure her a spot on the team. I am thinking that it would be totally awesome to somehow tie Claudia's brother supposed death to one of the men in the photograph shown in the pilot episode. Excuse me for my continuous usage of the word "supposed" as I feel in my bones that her brother is not dead...and my bones don't usually lie.