Warehouse 13 Forums

Syfy (ended 2014)

RetConning

nolefan32

[1]Jul 29, 2010
    • level: 11

They are definitely retconning like crazy this season. First, there's this whole thing about the townspeople giving Pete and Myka the cold shoulder everywhere they go. Not that we'd seen much of the town before, but Pete and Myka have gone out for tacos, ice cream, etc., and always seemed to enjoy the experience, which I can't say I would have liked much if I was always being treated like a leper. Not to mention that we did see at least the little diner where the Regents accosted Artie and Mrs. F, and the waitress was actually nice to Artie, something I would have thought would have gotten his attention if normally the townspeople act like he's got AIDS all the time.

The IRS thing - not once has anyone ever mentioned their tax returns or being screwed by the government ("thanks a lot") to Pete or Myka in the six months they've been in town? It takes until now for someone to finally bring it up, just in time for Artie to present their credentials and tell them their cover story? Not to mention that, since they have a stock cover story, it wouldn't have been told to them before or included in the infamous manual of which Pete is waiting for the movie to come out? Seems like then you have better chances of Pete and Myka not saying something stupid while out for tacos or ice cream that would blow the cover.

The latest, though, is Myka's sister. I don't remember the exact wording from last season when it was discussed, might have strictly been that Myka didn't have any brothers (when talking about the Bering and Sons bookstore), but it was heavily suggested that Myka is an only child. I even went back and read some of the early reviews of the series that lay out a background of each character, and apparently, if they didn't come out and say Myka was an only child, they implied it heavily enough that the critics were all fooled into thinking that. Not to mention that Myka appeared to be the only person called when her father was sick in "Nevermore". But now she has a sister, and not only that, Pete knows all about the sister, well enough to know her name. It's like Chuck Cunningham, only in reverse. And I should note that on the IMDb boards for this show, that line about Myka's sister is a topic of major conversation - people over there are just as confused as the rest of us, and the critics, who all thought Myka was alone in representing the latest generation of Berings.

Anybody else notice any retconning that's taking place in the show?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Princess_Pinky

[2]Jul 29, 2010

The sister thing really threw me too and given how long ago it was since I saw S1, I've forgotten a lot of the continuity details, but that still seemed wrong to me. (And the fact that Pete knew instantly who she was talking about also seemed off.)

For some reason - and maybe it was just me - I also got the impression that the sister died. MaybeI was justconfused by the fact that I previously thought she was an only child, but it just seemed like Myka was talking about her in the past tense moreso than just "she was the cheerleader, the Homecoming Queen," etc... (If that makes sense.)

If she died, that would also explain why she wasn't called and informed in the episode where we met Myka's parents and their father almost died.

I really hope they don't introduce a live sister at some point in the future, though, because that'll make things even more confusing. I'll be perfectly fine to know that Tracy died. In my mind, she died tragically at some point before she finished high school, until and unless I'm proven wrong.

Edited on 07/29/2010 11:13am
    Edited 2 total times.

nolefan32

[3]Jul 30, 2010
    Another one, though this technically isn't retconning ...

What the hell happened to Artie's father? We mentioned him at one point last season, and they played it up like it was going to be significant ... and then nothing. Did the writers just forget?

Princess_Pinky

[4]Jul 30, 2010

nolefan32 wrote:
    Another one, though this technically isn't retconning ...

What the hell happened to Artie's father? We mentioned him at one point last season, and they played it up like it was going to be significant ... and then nothing. Did the writers just forget?

I heard rumors that they might do a plot with Artie's father this season, but of course I don't know if that's true or not. I haven't been able to locate a good reliable spoiler site for WH13.