Warehouse 13 Forums

Syfy (ended 2014)

the crossover "screw-up"

estella87

[1]Jul 24, 2010
    • level: 14

hi,

most of you probably already know that Eureka and Warehouse 13 are having a crossover this season (episode 5 from each show will feature a character from the other).

but freaks like me can't help but notice that 3 actors from Eureka's main cast (Joe Morton (Henry), Erica Cerra (Joe) and Niall Matter (Zane)) have already appeared in W13 in guest roles, significantly limiting the choice of who can appear on screen. that's not a problem though, since it was already announced that Neil Grayston (Fargo) was going to be on W13 - but for some reason it still bugs me.

what do you think?

greetings,

e87

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Gislef

[2]Jul 24, 2010
    • level: 101
    There's a long TV tradition of a) having actors play more than one character, and no one noticing the similarity, and b) characters not recognizing another character even though the actor who plays them is real-life famous.

That's why on Fringe, Leonard Nimoy plays William Bell, but nobody comments that he looks just like Spock. Even though they also make Star Trek and Spock references on the show. Given that, there's no reason they couldn't have Joe Morton play his Eureka character, and no one notice he looks just like the character they encountered in a prison last year.

Millions of Trek fans didn't complain when they did it on Fringe, even if it occurred at the same time the new Trek movie was out there with Nimoy playing Spock Prime.
    Edited on 07/24/2010 3:56pm

nolefan32

[3]Jul 24, 2010
    • level: 11
    Gislef is correct that TV is notorious for re-using actors to play different characters on the same series. On Law & Order, for example, you can see S. Epatha Merkerson and Jerry Orbach show up in early seasons as a cleaning lady and a defense attorney before they became regulars on the series, Ice-T shows up as a gangster before becoming an SVU detective, and several of the later DAs appeared in previous episodes even as the killers in some cases. The weirdest one for me was seeing one of the DAs as a stripper/prostitute.

I give Joss Whedon credit for handling it the best, though - generally when he re-used actors within the Buffyverse, he'd have them buried under latex for at least one of the appearances. The one time he did break that rule was when Kali Rocha was cast to play Anya's vengeance demon pal Halfrek after she'd previously played William the Bloody's unrequited love interest Cecily (and the writers had some fun with it by having her come face-to-face with Spike and question if he was "William?", and of course the fans have been atwitter ever since over whether Cecily and Halfrek were one and the same.

So it does happen, even a lot, but that doesn't make it right. The Fringe example, to me, would be especially disconcerting, having Leonard Nimoy on the show playing a character, and at the same time, establishing full and well that Star Trek exists as a franchise in that show's universe. It'd be different had they never mentioned Trek, then fans could just pretend that Star Trek doesn't exist in that particular show's universe. The other option would be to at least have a wink-wink moment where someone does mention to Nimoy's character how much he looks like Spock, and let him say something like, "I get that a lot." I mean there's a democratic strategist that sometimes appears on Fox News who, to me, looks like Nimoy with a goatee, and every time I see him, I can't help but to think of Evil Spock from the Mirror Mirror universe.

Since they have used Eureka actors in other roles on WH13 before, I hope they don't get too carried away with the crossovers. I get that they're Syfy's two most popular shows so they're trying to cross-pollinate the audiences, but they need not get too carried away with it. I'd rather they just go back to having the actors show up on each other's shows, playing other characters.

Gislef

[4]Jul 26, 2010
    • level: 101
    It's not really a matter of "right." If they could get hold of Joe Morton in Season 1 to play a character, and he was the best actor for the character, that's "right." Particularly if they have no idea if they'll be able to do a Eureka crossover later.

If later they are able to finagle a Eureka crossover with the entire cast of that show, including Joe Morton, then that's "right" as well.

Casting directors do the best they can, with what they have, at the time they have to make their decisions.

kanniballl

[5]Jul 26, 2010
    • level: 18

Well, the actor that plays Artie also appeared in Eureka season 1 as Dr Carl Carlson. I liked his character.

But I digress. I don't mind the fact there's a cross-over from the standpoint of actor overlap. And as others stated, shows like Law & Order (and its siblings) did that a LOT back in the day.

I'm just not a fan of cross-overs in general unless it involves a spin-off show like the Star Treks, Buffy / Angel, $6million man / bionic woman, Cheers / Frasier, etc.

At least Warehouse 13 and Eureka have similar senses of humor and deal with (roughly) similar situations, so I can at least understand that. I'm not a huge fan of the idea, but I'm hoping the episodes will still be good.

The least logical crossover I recall was Las Vegas and Crossing Jordan.

The next least logical was the new Knight Rider series going to the Montecito hotel (from Las Vegas) with the same logos and such... but no LV actors.

Edited on 07/26/2010 7:42am

kanniballl

[6]Jul 26, 2010

Going deeper, I'm also not a fan of the frequency of special-guest-stars from other sci fi shows.

Maybe a couple per season, but it seems like just about every other episode involves some big name from another science fiction (or SyFy) show. At least that was the impression I was getting from Season 1.

Edited on 07/26/2010 7:40am

shadowkiller25

[7]Jul 27, 2010
    • level: 2

I'm concerned that W13's magic added to Eureka's universe

Dewbak75

[8]Jul 28, 2010

shadowkiller25 wrote:

Well to be fair, the stuff we see in Warehouse 13 isn't supposed to be magic really, just science we don't understand yet. And let's not forget The Artifact from the first two seasons of Eureka, the whole concept of the Akashic Field is about as scientific as the stuff on WH13.

One reason why the actor issues won't be much of a problem for the crossover is that the only WH13 character going to Eureka is Claudia, who never encountered any of the Eureka actors in their WH13 roles. The most she would've seen would be a face on a screen or printout. Now, Fargo presumably did know who Dr. Carlson was, so it'd be kinda funny if he does a double-take when he first meets Artie in WH13

MichaudMR

[9]Jul 28, 2010
    • level: 17

The whole problem of various actors appearing in a variety of roles on different shows doesn't bother me too much. It looks like the production companies who provide us with our science fiction entertainment draw from a rather finite pool of talent.Iremember Saul Rubinekfrom when he kidnapped Data on an early episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation (The Most Toys), and was pleasantly surprised when he finally got his shot in a leading role in this series.

Therefore, I don't really look too hard at the actor as much as the character they are playing as it relates to any conflicts that may arise in crossover story lines. As it stands right now WH13 and Eureka are the only scripted TV shows that I'm following, and I'm looking forward to the crossover episodes.

Princess_Pinky

[10]Jul 28, 2010
    • level: 11

estella87 wrote:

hi,

most of you probably already know that Eureka and Warehouse 13 are having a crossover this season (episode 5 from each show will feature a character from the other).

but freaks like me can't help but notice that 3 actors from Eureka's main cast (Joe Morton (Henry), Erica Cerra (Joe) and Niall Matter (Zane)) have already appeared in W13 in guest roles, significantly limiting the choice of who can appear on screen. that's not a problem though, since it was already announced that Neil Grayston (Fargo) was going to be on W13 - but for some reason it still bugs me.

what do you think?

greetings,

e87

It's not a screw-up. First of all, they may be the same actors, but they're playing different characters. Second of all, this happened long before they ever planned to have Warehouse 13 and Eureka crossover. And third of all, in the world of TV casting, this is common place. Heck, look at Charmed for example:Rebecca Baldingwho played Aunt Jackie in season one came back in season four to play a recurring role as Phoebe's boss at the Bay Mirror, Elise Rothman, all the way through to the second to last episode of the final season. And Brian Thompson who played War (of the Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse) in season three returned in the two-part season five finale to play the Greek Titan, Cronus. And in Doctor Who, Karen Gillan who plays the Eventh Doctor's companion, Amy Pond (a full time role), appeared once before as a soothsayer back in season four, "The Fires of Pompeii." I know thereare other examples, too (in both shows),but that's just the top off the top of my head and those were actors from the same show, whereas in WH13's case, the crossoverwas purely an after thought, but since even if it wasn't, it still wouldn't be a big deal since repeat casting for different roles isn't unusual.

shadowkiller25 wrote:

As Artie explained in the first season, the artifacts are not magic: we just do not understand how they work yet. For example, if we took an iPone and sent it back to 1801, they'd consider it magic too, because they don't know how it works, whereas in the present, we do, and thus we know it's not magic.

I've never seen Eureka, but from what I've read after seeing the promo for the crossover yesterday, it sounds like the town is made up of genius scientists who are creating things like the ones in the Warehouse, but instead of things from the past, they create them in the present.

Personally, I think the worlds sound very compatible for a crossover.For instance,maybe 50 years into the storyverse future of Eureka, someone from Warehouse 14 (or 13 if it's still in operation)could come across something created by a Eureka genius, not know how it works (it seems "magical"), and then have to have it sent off to be stored in the Warehouse.

Edited on 07/28/2010 9:43pm
    Edited 3 total times.