Warehouse 13 Forums

Syfy (ended 2014)

Yelling out "Secret Service" to anyone who'll listen

AnoukvdZee

[1]Aug 4, 2010
    • level: 15

Heey,

I have no idea if this has been discussed before (if so, sorry for putting it up again). But what's with all the flashing badges and yelling "We're secret service"? I mean, isn't it supposed to be a secret, the whole secret service thing? As in, nobody knows it's real, who works for it, and the like? Even wiki has only four lines or so on there about the secret service, explaining what it would theoretically be (which is hilarious, let's face it).

Has anyone else noticed this also? And/or is bothered by it? I just find it strange, so I thought I'd post it here and see what you all think about it.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Gislef

[2]Aug 4, 2010
    • level: 101
    The Wikipedia page on the U.S. Secret service has a bit more than four lines...

You're presumably looking at Wikipedia's generic description of the term "Secret Service."

nolefan32

[3]Aug 5, 2010
    • level: 11

AnoukvdZee wrote:

Heey,

I have no idea if this has been discussed before (if so, sorry for putting it up again). But what's with all the flashing badges and yelling "We're secret service"? I mean, isn't it supposed to be a secret, the whole secret service thing? As in, nobody knows it's real, who works for it, and the like? Even wiki has only four lines or so on there about the secret service, explaining what it would theoretically be (which is hilarious, let's face it).

Has anyone else noticed this also? And/or is bothered by it? I just find it strange, so I thought I'd post it here and see what you all think about it.

"Secret Service" is a misnomer, at least in the case of the U.S. Secret Service - there's not a whole lot that's secret about it. When they're doing their primary duty, protecting the president, they kind of stand out with the sunglasses and earphones (and yes, they really do wear that stuff, it's not just in the movies). There is even a uniformed Secret Service division that provides official security services at the White House, and look like any other uniformed cops out there, just with badges and patches that say they're Secret Service. Really the only time they're truly secret is when they go undercover to catch counterfeiters (their other primary function, after protecting the president), and even then, they're not really any more secret than the FBI or your local detectives.

The true "secret service" is the CIA; they're the ones with the mission that everyone pretends they don't exist, or that you're not supposed to know who is doing it.

kanniballl

[4]Aug 9, 2010
    • level: 18

What nolefan32 said.

In the US, the Secret Service isn't that secret, it's not a covert group. They're on TV watching the president, they flash their badges when they're getting a location setup for the President, some wear uniforms, etc.

Being part of the US Treasury, if a crime involves counterfeit bills a Secret Service agent will probably pop up. The same goes for large quantities of found money, so they can see if it's forged or where it came from. Also: forged documents, electronic funds, etc.

In the US it's the CIA (and perhaps the NSA) that is supposed to be secret, especially field agents. I believe the guidelines are to say you work for something else, and to deny working for the CIA when directly asked.

Edited on 08/09/2010 2:08pm
    Edited 5 total times.

AnoukvdZee

[5]Aug 21, 2010
    • level: 15

Thanks for the info! I'm not from the US (as you probably gathered ) so I'm not familiar at all with it. Thanks.