Watch Over Me Forums

MyNetwork TV (ended 2007)

low rating

luannc

[1]Feb 5, 2007
    • level: 1

Hello,

I read in our local paper that due to low ratings, when Watch Over Me has completed it's run .. the series to replace it will only air 2 nights a week with movies to be aired the other nights.

I was also surprised that the Saturday highlight episode wasn't shown here.

Any comments/thoughts on this.

luannc

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

photosurrealism

[2]Feb 5, 2007
    • level: 7
    Yeah, I'd heard that when the normal run is over (these shows run 13 weeks, and we started in early December, so they're over in early March), the next set of series will only run on two nights a week (one night for each, 2 hours at a go). I haven't heard that WoM or WWG were changing normal episodes.

They did dump Highlights last week, and that might be permanent. Looks like there's another movie on this week. Was anyone watching those anyway?

Going all-out five nights a week in primetime was nuts, but as the TV cliche goes- it was so crazy it might just work. I still think that the limited run series is the way to go to tell a lot of stories, and I hope they don't sour on telenovelas in general. They can't expect very good ratings on an absolute scale- their coverage is too low.

The news is about the new shows ("Saints & Sinners" and "American Heiress"), not about the current ones.

ab
    Edited on 02/05/2007 2:22pm

dolfy3000

[3]Feb 6, 2007
    They start running WWG at 12 at night and 1 for WOM, how crazy, in Salt Lake City....as they show at 8 and 9 in other markets. Has made my sleep scedule out of whack. Luckily I don't work.

photosurrealism

[4]Feb 7, 2007
    I'd like them to do that here. In fact, I asked them to, and they said the network only let them run it in primetime. I've had to sacrifice one of my DVRs just for MyTV to catch it every night. It's a shame I can't get a west coast channel off satellite or something.

I imagine a lot of people watch it off tape or DVR anyway if they watch anything else in primetime, ever. It wouldn't bother me a bit if it were on at o-dark-thirty instead of against, well, every other show on television! I mean, the other networks are afraid just to go against "American Idol" or whatever. WoM is on against, let's see "Heroes", "24", "House", "Las Vegas", "American Idol", "Veronica Mars", "The Unit", "CSI", "Grey's Anatomy", and "Criminal Minds", just to name a few! And you really need to watch it regularly. Of course they can't pull big numbers.

And they don't put the episodes online like all the "real" networks do. Most of the shows I just mentioned (all but VM, I think) are on their respective network's web sites, nominally at least, for people who miss the broadcasts. And that strategy seems to be working for them. Viewer retention is way more important in a serial- MyTV should encourage their affiliates to run the shows as much as possible, on TV or on the web.

ab

dolfy3000

[5]Feb 8, 2007
    I rather like the 'cult' appeal to these, that the shows everyone watches that are so popular, try too hard. I've seen half of those major network shows at least once. The on-set happenings sometimes overshadow the actual show itself. Which probably wouldn't be the case for these. However, the series do make a good launching pad for new actors to showcase themselves. It takes something unique, in a tv show for me to get into it and watch regularly. Alot of tv just to me is recycling the same sappy stuff, crime stories, or trying to create a genuine emotion that comes off as what we've already seen before. Maybe because I did acting in high school, I am easily unimpressed. I don't know that I would watch the new telenovelas, but its great opportunities for those who like to create product. It would be interesting to see where the actors progress from their work here.

dude6363

[6]Feb 9, 2007
    • level: 60
    Everyone's got it wrong. The next two soaps are gonna be two nights a week. Also, in Watch Over Me's premire week (the first 5 episodes, the episodes that either get people hooked or turn it off) scored a pathetic 600,000 viewers! That's right, I placed the comma in the correct spot 600,000. Compare that to Lost's 38 Million. If this were a normal show not a 65-episode committment it would have been cancelled after the first episode.

photosurrealism

[7]Feb 9, 2007
    If you've seen the ads they just started running, you'd see that one of the new stories runs Tuesdays for two hours, and the other is on Wednesdays for two hours.

ab