Watership Down

YTV (ended 2001)

bluecatcinema

Watership Down Fan Reviews (5)

• Altered to be more family friendly but still exciting and enjoyable for fans of the original film.

For those who love the dark and disturbing film Watership Down (that oddly enough got a PG rating in the U.S. given the gory violence) you may or may not like this series.

It's intended to be more family friendly retelling of the novel with less blood and violence but much of the story and characters are here with certain exceptions that may anger loyal fans. I am actually one of the few who actually like some of the changes they made to certain characters and the additional storylines and character development. The original film still has a special place in my heart but so so does this series. There's lots of great character interaction/development, exciting storylines, and good uplifting themes that wont scare the hell out of younger viewers like the "PG-Rated" film. Nothing gets too kiddy or ridiculous and not all of the bad bunnies in the show are evil. (Woundwort in this series is still as creepy and as intimidating as he was in the film.) There are some dark moments, not as much as many would hope for, but once again this cartoon is more for kids than the film.

Also the animation in season 3 is completely different (character designs and all). Some is good and some is bad. I think the series is well written for its target audience. It doesnt destroy the book (too much) and there are homages to the film that I think film fans would appreciate as well. The ending was a bit incomplete and rushed but at least this series got to go off with some sort of ending.

One funny thing about this show: The Black of Rabbit of Inle is actually much scarier in this cartoon than in the film. I think we can all agree with that!

If you're in the U.S. watch it on Youtube. They only released a few of the first season episodes in compilation DVDs, the worst kind of Tv DvD release if ya ask me.
  • class movie, brings bk memories !!

i remember the first time i watched this film it was sad and i was only 4 or 5 but the bloody senen's in it wer very surpising for a childrens movie ! i cant believe it ! ther was bloody and guts with rabbits fights and rippin eachother 2 pieses its was great because i had never seen that kind of violence before !
    but that violence that film made me realise that violence is in the world and no one can stop it happning no matter how powerful they r ! so u jst need 2 make sure that violence is that last reasort ! learnt alot from this film such as friendship, bunny violence and nature. top class film all children should watch and learn from it !!!
  • True to the book with a host of famous voice actors.

5.5
    Firstly, let me say that the movie, Watership Down, is my favourite movie of all time. So when I found out they were doing a series of the book I was delighted.
    Aimed more at children than the original movie, the series kept closer to the book in the order that events took place (some were swapped around in the movie as well as other small details.) My guess is that whoever had the idea for the series wanted to relive the adventure of the book completely and in detail.
    There are a whole host of famous voices to listen out for which makes the series even more fun, plus the characters are well animated and the background scenery is well drawn.
    My only little niggle, which is a silly one I suppose is that the rabbits sometimes didn't move right, they'd walk like dogs (Bigwig in particular, who they gave a mane to instead of his trademark tuft of head fur) and after seeing the realness of the film, this kind of spoilt the series for me. However the rabbits weren't too toony or stylised and the movement thing was the only problem I had with the show.
    So I treat this as a different interpretation of the book and a very well executed one!
  • weird but cool.

A lot of the characters have been eliminated and/or changed a great deal: Pipkin is not an adult rabbit, but a kitten. Blackberry underwent a gender bend, and was turned into a doe. The doe Hyzenthlay is assumed to appear in the series as Primrose (no doubt due to the complexity of the original character's name). El-ahrairah's name is pronounced "Ellerah", as El-ahrairah's a little tricky for the kids to get their tongues around.
    While the animation is colourful and crisp, the characters look more like dogs than rabbits: the have long, lean bodies, and long legs ht is up with that.
  • Die hard fans of the book/movie may be disappointed.

While the animation is colourful and crisp, the characters look more like dogs than rabbits: the have long, lean bodies, and long legs. The film's rabbits actually LOOKED like rabbits. The colours in the film were also A LOT LESS saturated than in the series. The scenery was much more realistic in the movie; you could almost smell the grass.
    While it is an alright show, don't think that the book is as cutesy if you're unfamiliar with it, as the TV series was obviously aimed at children. The book (and film, from the late 70s) are MUCH darker and violent than the TV series. It's worth a look, but start off with the book and/or movie before watching it.