Weeds

A Shoe for a Shoe

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Sep 27, 2010 on Showtime

• Please, please, please be over with the Estaban plot.

The final five minutes or so of this episode gave me renewed hope at the potential Weeds has to redeem the last few years. The final scene was superb, featured some great acting from Mary-Louise Parker and, when paired with last week's episode, this episode may be my favorite of this season so far.

Nancy spends the entire episode attempting to get Shane back, and as a result, we get twenty-four minutes of Nancy vs. Cesar and Ignacio. I groaned when I saw Nancy wielding her crossbow, running around and shooting people in the leg and freaking out like she has the past few seasons. However, it all made sense in the end when she calls Estaban and leaves the message about the Mama lion protecting her cubs no matter what. Say what you will about the last few seasons of Weeds, but to make it feel less of a waste, I can chalk it up to being a family getting in WAY over their heads and the mother doing whatever she can to get herself away from it.

As usual, there were some hilarious moments. Ignacio, for being a completely insane gangster, provides some of the best laughs, and watching him and an equally psychotic Shane try to top one another while eating a sandwich was great. Doug and Andy were great as well, and I'd like to see more Silas moments. Despite her character going WAY over the top sometimes, Mary-Louise Parker continues to prove to be one of TV's best actresses.

The way the episode ends, I'm assuming the show is going to go as far away from Mexico as possible and try to start over. The earlier season 6 episodes were quite promising as Nancy tried to get back into the drug business, but the whole Estaban business screwed it up again. Let's hope the show can get back on track again.