Weeds Forums

Showtime (ended 2012)

Has Weeds Jumped the Shark??? Signs point to Yes.

Has Weeds Jumped the Shark???

JohnnyDrama8

[1]Sep 7, 2008
    • level: 10

Jump The Shark.com has Criteria if a show jumped the shark and Weeds fits almost every one. These are reasons they claim a show has Jumped the Shark.

They have done 10 out of 17. So their you have it Weeds has jumped the Shark. What is your opinion on this and please Vote? Also please don't get mad at me I am just stating the facts or say "well watch something else". Breaking Bad is a similiar premise show and has better writing.

Same Character, Different Actor: Pretty Sure the Kid who is the Cheeselady's son changed actors no a biggie but still.

Birth: Nope

Death: Peter DEA Agent and Great Grandma

Ted McGinley: Nope but their still season 5 and 6 for him to appear.

Puberty: Shane

Singing: Nope

Live!: Nope

I Do: Nancy and Peter

They Did It: Too many to List basically whenever Nancy gets in Trouble

The Movie: Nope

Moving: Agrestic to Ren-Mar also the shows creator said a show has never been moved to a new town this is a lie it has been done many times before.

Special Guest Star: Albert Brooks

A Very Special...: Nope

New Kid In Town: Mary-Kate Olsen

Hair Care: Silas stupid I know but none the less

Stage Left: Heylia, Conrad and Heylia's Daughter. Also three other characters but they popped up briefly this season.

Colorized the show: Nope

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

benboy606

[2]Sep 7, 2008
    • level: 7

Wait, so let me get this straight: since "Weeds" has had many various and strange storylines, they have jumped the shark? Every storyline they do leads them closer to jumping the shark? I don't suppose one of them is "Setting Up A Grow House" or "Turning In The Mexican Mafia". They've had a guest star: oh, they've jumped the shark! They re-invented the whole show, but hey, that's been done before, so who cares?

I think this "criteria" for jumping the shark is ridiculous, and even with my criteria for jumping the shark, nope, they haven't done that yet. Don't think they ever will.

Losterrific

[3]Sep 7, 2008
    • level: 9

Weeds has definatly not jumped the shark...

I read all that before and its a load of crap, it's just somebody's stupid opinion. You can't cast someone and automatically it's jumped the shark... Married with Children starred Ted McGinley and that didn't cause them to jump the Shark.

Rod has been played by the same actor throughout the season..

They had to change towns? What is nancy going to stay in Majestic to get caught?

You can't stop shane from grow, i mean after all he is a human boy and all human boys eventually go through puberty.

People change their hair styles all the time.

Did they finally do it? That is referred to Nancy and Conrad and Nancy and Andy.

Nancy got married was part of the storyline, we all knew it wouldn't last, it's not like they planned it out for a year.

That site is dumb, and whoever made it is even dumber.

From what ive been hearing, this has been Weeds highest rated season. Personally one of my favourites.

Edited on 09/07/2008 12:28pm

Mpol

[4]Sep 9, 2008
    S4 is one of the best! I find fans either love it or ahte it. I LOVE IT. It is superb. Different but superb.

killcoyle

[5]Sep 9, 2008
    • level: 13
    season 4 to me was a letdown.....i like really conrad

Nashirathena

[6]Sep 9, 2008
    • level: 14
    Yeah, its a different formula for this season, but that was a smart move. You go on enough seasons without mixing it up, you're going to run out of new material. And the characters are staying true to who they are. Maybe Nancy from the first season wouldn't have done some of the things she's doing now, but when you add in character developement its still really plausable. And that goes for the other characters too. I'm glad they moved, it gives the characters a chance to evolve beyond their love/hate relationship with suburbia and figure out who they are and who they want to be much more than in previous seasons. I don't think its jumped the shark at all.

dustinh456

[7]Sep 9, 2008
    • level: 9

I am getting so tired of people claiming the show has "jumped the shark". The show is more brilliant now than ever. I was a huge fan of the setting, Agrestic, this qaint little piece of suburbia with the twist of learning to "deal". But this season has definitely shown me how much faith we should all have in Jenji. She has scripted one of the finest pieces of dramedy in the dark and unforgiving world of drugs. Nancy Botwin is a strong leading female character with depth and a soul that is absent in most shows today. The new setting has created a completely new formula for the show. So if taking a risk and pulling it off poetically is "jumping the shark" then may they keep on jumping.

Now the banter against these claims:

Rad (who you referred to as the "cheese lady's kid") has been the same actor since he first appeared.

NONE of the Shepard gang appeared this season, don't know where you got this information.

Silas' hair was a choice of Hunter Parrish and had nothing to do with the character.

However annoying Tara was she showed that Silas is vulnerable and that's continued this season.

Nancy sex-scepades were a factor in the show, showing how much Nancy's life has changed.

Peter's death was important, had he not died Nancy would have ended up more screwed.

DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE DIAGNOSING THE SERIES.

Thanks!

Edited on 09/09/2008 7:56pm

Halloweenbaby

[8]Sep 10, 2008
    • level: 8

I was skeptical about this season, too. No more Conrad or Heylia... moving to a new city. And to be honest the first couple of episodes this season weren't that great. But slowly it evolved and I'm totally into it. I can't wait til the season finale. And all the talk of this jump the shark mess is pointless. This show hasn't jumped the shark it's just showing how the main character keeps making choices that get her and her family deeper and deeper in this mess. IMO it's brilliant.

Nancy has gone from small time suburban mom weed dealer, to hard core drug smuggler, grower, and indirectly involved in smuggling heroin, girls and guns. She's in deep and most importantly her children are suffering because of it. If by this 4th season, the show was still telling stories about mild mannered, Agrestic suburbia, it would be redundaant and might get boring or too silly. Then the show might have had to "jumped the shark" but what the writers have done is take the character and storyline deeper. I love it!

JohnnyDrama8

[9]Sep 16, 2008

Spoiler for Season 4 Finale.

Oh look another one now a birth of a new half-latino baby. Also Nancy should be killed or at least hurt but looks like she will once again get let of the hook for the hundredth time ( exageration but still). You know Patrone is going to let her off the hook a Mob Boss with three daughters will finally get a son no way he is going to stop that from happeing.

kanniballl

[10]Sep 16, 2008
    • level: 18

First, I think the term gets thrown around way too much. And yes, I realize the irony that complaining about overuse of "jumping the shark" is almost as frequent as the term itself.

I'll also say, I stopped watching regularly after the 2nd season. I didn't like season 3 because I thought too much had changed, and season 4 was even more different.

That being said, I have to disagree with Marriage," "Special Guest Star," and to a lesser degree "Death".

Just because something happened it shouldn't qualify. Otherwise any Crime Drama or Doctor Drama TV show would have a couple of qualifications by the end of the first episode: death of a patient/victime and appearance of a known actor as a patient/murderer/victim.

Usually it's either whether the main dynamic of the show will change as a result, or the motive for the show/writers is to entice/shock viewers to get major ratings.

Your Marriage entry is a little questionable. It wasn't a real marriage, and the marriage didn't change the dynamic of the show. It's the latter that really matters. There wasn't even "The Wedding" episode where the cast gathered around and cried, nobody even knoew about it for a while. And it wasn't a long-standing couple where their s**ual tension was a main part of the show (like perhaps Nancy+Conrad).

Something like if Jerry got married on Seinfeld, a married Jerry would change the entire show around since a lot of it revolved around his single life. Nancy's day-to-day routine didn't change (heck, for a wihle nobody knew about it). It only came into play towards the end of the season. Likewise a Wedding Episode probably clinches it

The fact that she married a boyfriend so they couldn't rat eachother could get away with not qualifying as a qualification. Had he moved in and tried acting like a father (and thus got a lot more screentime) and it became a husband/wife/kids show then I could understand it.

Likewise if it had been Conrad then I could understand as well.

My only problem with your Special Guest Star entry is that who you selected. Pretty much anyone appearing for 1-2 episodes is a Guest Star, and anyone of noteriety is a Special Guest Star. Just because they're already a known actor/actress doesn't mean they cannot be allowed to play a bit part from time to time. It also does not include cameos (which isobviously not the case on Weeds, I'm just saying).

Zoe Dreschenel and/or Mary Kate might have been better examples (and would thus qualify). The father-in-law wasn't really a good example as Albert Brooks did bring something to the table. He gave us a look into Nancy's family life outside of her kids and brother-in-law. We got to see a piece of her and Andy's past, why we never really heard much about the extended family, and how they were able to get a new house (which of course satisfies the setting/location requirement of a JtS). Just because he's a known comedic actor doesn't really make it bad.

A Special Guest Star has a couple of meanings:

• A known celebrity playing themself for more than a scene. Different than a quick 1-second cameo.
      • Stephen Hawking on Star Trek: TNG (though I thought it was a funny scene).
      • Jeane Claude Van Dam on Las Vegas
    • Casing the flavor of the month specifically to attract more viewers. These are annoying.
      • This is usually sickening on sitcoms and such, when a neighbor we've never seen turns out to be acted by a model, pop diva, or standup comedian.
        • I think Olsen or Zoe might qualify as this, though I think Zoe is great.
      • Putting a dramatic actor in a dramatic role, or comedian in a funny role doesn't necessarily count (see below).
    • An actor takes up a small role, either to practice for a part or publicity/money. I'd say these are OK.
      • A victim or criminal on a crime drama winds up being a known TV or film actor.
        • 1/2 the episodes of Law & Order, Law & Order: SVU, Law & Order: CI, The Practice, Boston Legal, etc.
      • An "alien" behind 20lbs of makeup on a SciFi is really a known SciFi actor.
        • Jeffrey Coombs probably got a Special Guest Star status on some of his SciFi roles. He's been all over the place.
      • A comedic actor from one show plays a role on another.
        • Sarah Chalke from Scrubs on How I Met Your Mother.
      • etc

I'd say the father in law falls into category 3, which is relatively benign.

Death + Grandma.

Complaining about a death is usually when it's a main character, usually done for shock value. The Grandma never had any screen time besides her ventilator shots, and died shortly after being introduced as a near-catatonic vegetable. You reserve complaints for a main character, like Kate on NCIS or (maybe) Horatio on CSI: Miami (if he really died).

The DEA agent, well you can take that if you want. However it's not so clear cut - it's a show about drugs and a lot of scenes/episodes deal with the dangers behind it. I was half-expecting it to happen, and was fairly certain once he learned of her involvement w/ pot. Heck, I think one of the main reasons for his character to exist at all was to be killed off.

I think "Death" would be satisfied if one of the main characters died: Nancy, Silas, Shane, Doug, Andy, or Selia. Prior to this season Conrad or Helia would also qualify.

Killing a corrupt DEA agent husband, that had comparatively little screen time, that quickly turned into an antagonist, isn't really shocking.

Edited on 09/16/2008 1:10pm
    Edited 14 total times.

vapotrini

[11]Sep 16, 2008
    • level: 6

Weeds stopped being good and interesting after the second season. People will disagree but that's my opinion. After watching this final season I can safely say, I won't be watching anymore. Same can be said for another show I really enjoyed at one point, Prison Break.

IMO both of them just need to wrap up and end.

gmvail23

[12]Sep 17, 2008
    • level: 50
    I have to say yes.

kanniballl

[13]Sep 17, 2008
    vapotrini wrote:

Weeds stopped being good and interesting after the second season. People will disagree but that's my opinion. After watching this final season I can safely say, I won't be watching anymore. Same can be said for another show I really enjoyed at one point, Prison Break.

I agree on both.

Weeds Season 1 and 2 were great (though the 1st is still my fav). I wasn't much of a fan of S3 or S4, though I didn't see all of S3 (just S4).

Prison Break Season 1 was amazing, it was well written and the acting was decent. Season 2 was alright but I didn't like much since.

Edited on 09/17/2008 7:49am

g_rodri01

[14]Sep 17, 2008
    • level: 3
    kanniballl wrote:
    vapotrini wrote:

I agree on both.

Weeds Season 1 and 2 were great (though the 1st is still my fav). I wasn't much of a fan of S3 or S4, though I didn't see all of S3 (just S4).

Prison Break Season 1 was amazing, it was well written and the acting was decent. Season 2 was alright but I didn't like much since.

Also agree. I'm not going to subscribe to showtime just for Weeds next summer. They should have just killed Nancy off and given Andy and Doug they're own show. Prison Break season 4 is pretty good. Its closer to the first season than the previous 2

vapotrini

[15]Sep 17, 2008
    g_rodri01 wrote:
    kanniballl wrote:
    vapotrini wrote:

I agree on both.

Also agree. I'm not going to subscribe to showtime just for Weeds next summer. They should have just killed Nancy off and given Andy and Doug they're own show. Prison Break season 4 is pretty good. Its closer to the first season than the previous 2

That's actually a good idea. They are the only things good left on the show. I don't care too much for Nancy's character anymore. In the first 2 seasons you were rooting for her, being all vulnerable and trying to make ends meet, etc. Now though, the truth is she's nothing more than a rat. Every time she's in trouble she rat's out the person and they end up dead. There's nothing likable at all about her.

Edited on 09/17/2008 3:02pm

JohnnyDrama8

[16]Sep 17, 2008
    Yeah that is a good idea get rid of Nancy I guess I am just sick of her Andy is a way funnier better charcter. Also Mary Parker is a really bad actress if u have seen any of her movies u know what im talking about. Also im glad I am finally not alone on this. Check out Breaking Bad on AMC or DVD very well written show with a similar premise also funny.

JohnnyDrama8

[17]Sep 17, 2008
    Alsp side not what do you guys think of new layout. I kinda miss old one.

g_rodri01

[18]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 3
    JohnnyDrama8 wrote:
    Yeah that is a good idea get rid of Nancy I guess I am just sick of her Andy is a way funnier better charcter. Also Mary Parker is a really bad actress if u have seen any of her movies u know what im talking about. Also im glad I am finally not alone on this. Check out Breaking Bad on AMC or DVD very well written show with a similar premise also funny.

This show is dead to me.

k12r0y

[19]Sep 19, 2008

quite!

get rid of nancy! don't kill her, get her to move with the mexican mayor and be a mafia boss down there, grow kids, do charity work, do some time, whatever. and get shane and silas to grow/deal back in majestic or agrestig. that would close the circle nicely.

Edited on 09/19/2008 1:16am

alp1981

[20]Sep 19, 2008
    The last couple of seasons haven't lived up to the expectations set by the first two but that's not to say it's jumped the shark. it's still better than most half hour comedies on TV. The only character arch I'm disappointed in is Nancy but she's really been on a downward spiral since the pilot. The fact is, I don't come back for her, I come back for everyone else.