Weeds Forums

Showtime (ended 2012)

Has Weeds Jumped the Shark??? Signs point to Yes.

Has Weeds Jumped the Shark???

logossun

[21]Sep 21, 2008
    • level: 18
    Mpol wrote:
    S4 is one of the best! I find fans either love it or ahte it. I LOVE IT. It is superb. Different but superb.

I have to say that after the ridiculous and childish black-ganger-weak supporting cast 3rd season, the show rose immensly. Not only does every member of the supporting cast have a really good storyline, but the main thread is nasty, hard and nailbiting. I can't think of a single show becoming so much better from the previous season.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

phatjagz14

[22]Sep 21, 2008
    • level: 8
    This thread is silly, as the measures provided by that website are hardly indicative of a show definitively "jumping the shark." Characters getting married? Characters getting killed off? Rubbish. By the way, the kid known as Rad was played by the same actor throughout. People who say Breaking Bad is better should hold off judgment until that show can prove its worth throughout 4 seasons, not 7 episodes. Just remember that the term "jump the shark" was originally intended to signify one event that was so absurd that the show lost all contact with its viewers/reality (e.g. a man jumping a shark on water skis in a leather jacket), which Weeds has not come close to achieving.

Personally, I thought this season was fantastic, with season 3 being the worst so far (but still awesome in its own right).

clivelover9

[23]Mar 13, 2009
    • level: 18
    I think it did this past season.

Gilmoreism

[24]Mar 24, 2009
    • level: 37
    Yeah you're really misunderstanding the website, those are signs that it has possibly jumped the shark but not guaranteed. Lots of shows can do thos things and they arent' a jump the shark moment, and I think the change in the local was kind of uninteresting to me, I miss Conrad and Helia. Nancy isn't the underdog anymore, she's just greedy now. I'll probably watch season 5 but I'm not sure.

codename11

[25]Mar 27, 2009
    • level: 9
    Loved the 4th season. Seems like weak criteria to see if a show has jumped the shark....

gomezfox

[26]Mar 17, 2010
    • level: 1

This "Shark-Jumping" formula is pretty much geared toward sitcoms, and shouldn't be applied to Weeds.

KingofIPirates

[27]Mar 25, 2010
    • level: 32
    IT can apply to any genre if the change is drastic enough.

ParangNEco

[28]Sep 1, 2010
    • level: 2

the WEEDS is Going Hot.. Nice show..

http://goodstuffandhot.com/

SeerMagicX

[29]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 16
    I wish people would learn what jump the shark means.

BtmnHatesRbn

[30]Oct 9, 2010
    • level: 1

The show had the shark circling since Season 3. The show jumped not with Shane killing Pilar, but with how dumb the show became at the start of Season 6. All of Season 6 has be full of dumb moments and situations so far. The only funny parts, to me, were Andy getting out of the shower naked and child services saw it all, and when Nancy starts a hillybilly fight at a carnival. Other than that, nothing. Seems most of this season is spent with the characters eating at diners more than anything. The show jumped way too far.

However...

Given the situation, I'd done the same with my family. So the show became realistic instead of silly.

vmothfan

[31]Jul 26, 2011
    • level: 9

The show jumped the shark long ago. Not saying it's a bad thing, because it's still entertaining. I enjoy watching the show for pretty much anything that doesn't involve Nancy. Her story has been re-hashed for now the 7th season. Nancy decides she wants to deal, Nancy finds herself with dude, dude proves to complicate things, Nancy messes everything up b/c she becomes greedy. How many seasons do they think they can get away with a main character doing the same thing? Andy has the same kind of re-hash, but his moments actually provide some sort of humor.

Shane, Doug, Andy and Silas are the only reason to watch this, because they actually provide something to the show. I find this to be one of the most unique shows b/c the main character is there for pretty much nothing except for being an ignorant parent. The only thing is her ignorance has allowed the characters around her to become fantastic.

Her going to jail was selfless, i admit. What happens when she gets out? She ditches her family and goes on a drug escapade. A show titled Weed's about a drug dealing mom doesn't present itself with many opportunities to grow, but somehow there has to be a creative way for it to happen. I really enjoyed Nancy for the first 2 seasons, but her character has gone beyond stale.

Fanible

[32]Sep 1, 2011
    • level: 5
    I'm not sure why I even keep watching this show. Each week though, there I am watching it.

It really does seem to annoy me more than entertain me anymore. Not from necessarily a poor writing or bad acting point of view, but just where these characters keep heading, decisions they keep making, just one thing after the other. Facepalming is probably what I do the most while watching the show anymore.

OzDrDj

[33]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 5

A Really Good Show, and a Great cast, the only problem is waiting all year for 13, 22 minute episodes. so whats that 280 something minutes of show, Thats a good movie length. I have said this before. Back in the good old days of TV, shows like Prisoner (Cell Block H). 80 x 1 hour episodes a year. Now thats a tv series. Weeds is on, it lasts 13 weeks then its over again for another year. its all too quick, It only started what feels a couple of weeks ago and today is the season 7 Finale. WTF. Someone else on here commented, Quality over Quantity. A fair statement too, but I still think the season is waaayyyyyyyyy to short for a half hour show.

Seriously think about this, Harry potter could have been released the same way. 13 x 20 something minute shows a week. 1 movie, 1 Season, Twilight could have been done exactly the same.

Do I make a valid point or am I rambling ? I actually havent even watched the latest season yet, (Recorded them all to watch in one go, the only way to truly enjoy the show due to its overall length)

PS, Mary-Louise Parker is simply Stunning