A Welcome to the Family Community
NBC (ended 2013)

"My God, there are still new shows premiering?" is probably what you're thinking right now. Indeed there are, which is why it's important to determine which ones you can stand to live without, while keeping your ninja-like DVR skills sharp. The networks will continue rolling out new fall shows both this week and next, which is why I'm here to to answer your questions about at least one of them. So let's play another round of "Hey TV.com, Should I Watch [X]?" with NBC's new comedy Welcome to the Family!

Welcome to the Family? What family? I don't even like the family I have now!

1) That's a bummer. Go call your mom. 2) Welcome to the Family is a new comedy that revolves around the ages-old tradition of two very different families (in this case, one of them's Caucasian and the other is Latino) coming together as one after their teenage children have gotten sexed-up and impregnated before, during, or immediately after high school. It follows the families of Molly and Junior as their unwise and impractical decision to have unprotected coitus leads to a possibly(/probably) unwise and impractical decision to get married right after high school. Oh, and the two dads hate each other.

Who makes up this complicated family? And who's the man of the house, so to speak?

The show stars Mike O'Malley of Glee and Justified (and Nickelodeon's Guts, which I'd probably lead with on my resume if I were Mike O'Malley) as Family Patriarch #1, and Ricardo Chavira (Desperate Housewives) as Family Patriarch #2. Mary McCormack (In Plain Sight, The West Wing) and Justina Machado (Private Practice) play the less crazy mothers. Rounding out the cast are the irresponsible children themselves: Ella Rae Peck (Gossip Girl) as Molly, and Joseph Haro (Awkward.) as Junior. Oh, and Fabrizio Zacharee Guido (World War Z) as Junior's younger brother.

The series was created by Mike Sikowitz, who wrote for Friends and The Wild Thornberrys, and who's co-executive-produced series like Grounded for Life and Rules of Engagement.

When can I officially meet the family?

Welcome to the Family debuts after Parks and Recreation on Thursday, October 3 at 8:30pm. Its opening night competition includes the series premiere of The Millers on CBS, the Season 5 premiere of The Vampire Diaries on The CW, a catch-up special for Scandal on ABC (Once Upon a Time in Wonderland takes over the network's 8pm-9pm hour on October 10), and The X Factor on Fox. Tough crowd.

Who might like this show?

People who like jokes about teenage pregnancy, dumb blondes, ditching college to get married, wearing special "sex pants," culture clashes, and parents who can't wait for their children to move out will all enjoy Welcome to the Family. 

What's good about Welcome to the Family?

Mike O'Malley, for starters. And probably enders, too. 

What's bad about Welcome to the Family?

Mary McCormack's hair. But on a more serious note, the series isn't so much funny as it is a walking, talking, and mostly boring cliché. It's a story we've seen a hundred times and it doesn't add anything new or exciting. It's not that Welcome to the Family is a bad comedy; it's that's it's a boring comedy. We've seen it done before, and we've seen it done better. And that might actually be worse. What's more, it lacks charm, which is the saving grace of some of this season's other new comedies whose jokes fall flat.

So, should I watch it or not?

In a word—nah. There are better options out there. The show is up against The Vampire Diaries, The X Factor, and Scandal, so if you're dying for Thursday-night comedy, I'd use the time to catch up on a different one.

I don't know if I trust you. I don't even know you. Can I see a trailer?

That's kind of rude, but I'm going to ignore it and kill you with kindness instead. You can watch the entire pilot online right now!

thekaitling:list:welcome-to-the-family-will-you-watch/

Welcome to the Family premieres Thursday, October 3 at 8:30pm on NBC. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 11/21/2013

Season 1 : Episode 8

18 Comments
Follow this Show
Members