What Not To Wear Forums

Tuesday 10:00 PM on TLCIn Season

over "50" made over ??

chris2141

[1]Oct 29, 2006
    • level: 1
    I love the show, but there doesn't seem to be any suggestions or makeovers for us oldies...that probably need as much help in re-defining how to look our best too!  We are a pretty savvy group out here but, not always "with it" when it comes to current fashion without going "fad" . 
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

crystaldragon18

[2]Nov 27, 2006
    • level: 15
    chris2141 wrote:
    I love the show, but there doesn't seem to be any suggestions or makeovers for us oldies...that probably need as much help in re-defining how to look our best too!  We are a pretty savvy group out here but, not always "with it" when it comes to current fashion without going "fad" . 
    Theres a show that makes people around 50 look younger. It's on the same channel too.

MissingMermaid

[3]Jan 10, 2007
    • level: 8
    crystaldragon18 wrote:
    chris2141 wrote:
    I love the show, but there doesn't seem to be any suggestions or makeovers for us oldies...that probably need as much help in re-defining how to look our best too! We are a pretty savvy group out here but, not always "with it" when it comes to current fashion without going "fad" .
    Theres a show that makes people around 50 look younger. It's on the same channel too.

I think you're talking about 10 Years Younger. That's a stupid show. What Not To Wear is about self-esteem and dressing the body you have. I think 10 Years Younger is stupid because it's only focus is on making people feel younger. That shouldn't be the point of anything. Being older should be celebrated, not wrapped in a miniskirt and given dyed hair.

darkebony

[4]Jan 19, 2007
    • level: 7
    i agree MissingMermaid. i'm all for feeling better and such. but change should be inside first. your 50-60 years old. you can't be twenty anymore. give up the tude tops and short dresses. very few people don't have greys at that age. age gracefully. that ten years younger crap is what it is. Crap. playing on the media's lust for youth, bone-skinny bodies, outfits that should be left in the bedroom. people already have a bad self-image. there just feeding that.

LikeFineWine

[5]Jun 7, 2007
    • level: 8
    i totally agree with your assessments of "10 Years Younger". . .saw it for the first time today and hated it. . .

Angelic_Anime

[6]Jun 18, 2007
    • level: 26

MissingMermaid wrote:
    What Not To Wear is about self-esteem and dressing the body you have. I think 10 Years Younger is stupid because it's only focus is on making people feel younger. That shouldn't be the point of anything. Being older should be celebrated, not wrapped in a miniskirt and given dyed hair.

I completely agree. I really dislike 10 Years Younger.

But anyway, about the original point--
    I don't think there are many people who came on What Not To Wear who were over 50. I can only think a couple of older women who were on the show.
    Tish Merrill-47; Marie Harkin-48.
    And there are probably some others.

caligrama

[7]Dec 16, 2007

Yes!!! We over 50 would like to see ways to improve our styles. We are still cool, active, vibrant Grandmas who want to look stylish. We arent all sitting in rockin chairs or watching tv at the Home!!! Come on Stacy and Clinton you too will be over 50 one day. I'm sure you have stylish mothers!!!

MsSusi

[8]Jan 9, 2008
    • level: 3
    I hear you all about being over 50 and not ever having anyone from our age group being on the show....My question is that when I apply to get on the show...I put my birthday in my day, month and year and it comes back telling me that I am not old enough to be on the show...what the heck is up with that???? I even wanted to apply to get a friend of mine on the show and I was told the same thing and she is 35 years old ....Could someone please tell me what I need to do...im so confused

AttractiveLady

[9]Feb 15, 2008

Chris2141 wrote: "I love the show, but there doesn't seem to be any suggestions or makeovers for us oldies...that probably need as much help in re-defining how to look our best too! We are a pretty savvy group out here but, not always "with it" when it comes to current fashion without going "fad" ."

I love the show also and think that Stacy and Clinton are intelligent, compassionate, and extremely creative ..... however .... I, too, am over 50, though definitely not an "oldie" ... and would like to see makeovers for vital, active, professional women who at mid-life are through raising children, but not through with living, yet need to re-invent ourselves without trying to look and dress like our daughters. I would imagine that the viewing audience of this great show has many, many who would identify with 45-60 yr. old age group who are anything but "over the hill". We need representation and this show's advice on how to be appropriately "with it"!

Nano49

[10]Jun 13, 2009
    • level: 2
    I've just turned sixty (last week) and it's a milestone for me. I've kind of lost track of who I am now -- I mean, I knew who I was twenty years ago and although my clothing picks weren't always great, my "style" was at least passable, most of the time. Now? Oh man -- I'm overweight (I mean REALLY overweight) and I've always been slim (up until about the last ten years) and dealing with that AND being 60, well, I'm just at a loss. I've refused to buy any more clothes until I lose some of this fat. I'm very self-conscious about my butt (it's HUGE) and I just don't know what makes me look ridiculous and what will hide that and make me look better. I've read some of the makeover books and I watch this show pretty regularly, but as you said, there aren't too many shows for women over 50.