What's Happening!! Forums

ABC (ended 1979)

Mable/Mama

Givens37

[1]Apr 19, 2006
    • level: 1
    When Raj moved out of the house and shared an apartment with Rerun, I don't think I've ever seen Mabel King/Mama on hardly any of those episodes. Did they ever mention what happened to her. Did she move out of state? did she pass away? why weren't she on those particular episodes?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

GSU2004

[2]Apr 20, 2006
    • level: 9
    We are discussing this in the other forum about who makes the show. Mabel King's role was reduced significantly during season two and she voiced her displeasure about that. She cited that she wanted more family oriented lines and for her character to be more significant. As you can see, the second season is where they really started to focus more on the Shirley and the kids. In season three, she is no longer on the show but they speak of her. Pay attention during the last season as they give multiple explanations such as she is at work, she's out of town or she's not home. I think if there would have been another season, they would have negotiated with her like they did with Esther Rolle on good times or casted another person for the role.

chelimina

[3]Apr 20, 2006
    • level: 5
    ^Yeah..And even on the pilot episode of "What's Happening Now", Raj mentioned that his mother had moved to Arizona...*BUT* as we know, she was no longer living in the old house. However, in that same pilot episode, all of the books that Raj had sold (his mother bought them) were lined on the bookshelf of the house in California, the childhood home Raj now owned. One more point against "Continuity", unless she left, returned and left again.
    Edited on 04/20/2006 9:14pm

GSU2004

[4]Apr 21, 2006
    chelimina wrote:
    ^Yeah..And even on the pilot episode of "What's Happening Now", Raj mentioned that his mother had moved to Arizona...*BUT* as we know, she was no longer living in the old house. However, in that same pilot episode, all of the books that Raj had sold (his mother bought them) were lined on the bookshelf of the house in California, the childhood home Raj now owned. One more point against "Continuity", unless she left, returned and left again.

I also remember reading that she was asked to come back and do 'What's Happening Now' but she wanted too much money. I am probably sure that she probably had some other demands they didn't want to meet such as making her more significant.

Another point against continuity is Dee. Wasn't she supposed to be elementary school when the series started but ended up in high school in the last season?

SupermanNYC

[5]Apr 21, 2006
    • level: 45
    Givens37 wrote:
    When Raj moved out of the house and shared an apartment with Rerun, I don't think I've ever seen Mabel King/Mama on hardly any of those episodes. Did they ever mention what happened to her. Did she move out of state? did she pass away? why weren't she on those particular episodes?
    she was on the episode when they first moved in the apartment

divinematt

[6]Apr 29, 2006
    I think if Mabel was on the show, it might have lasted a little longer.

GSU2004

[7]May 26, 2006

divinematt wrote:
    I think if Mabel was on the show, it might have lasted a little longer.

Possibily but Fred Berry was causing alot of problems behind the scenes

divinematt

[8]Jun 5, 2006
    But they might have been able to write him out like they did in the spin-off.

GSU2004

[9]Sep 8, 2006
    divinematt wrote:
    But they might have been able to write him out like they did in the spin-off.

Fred made the show and he knew it.  What's Happening Now ratings plunged when he was fired.  They tried to keep it on as long as they could but when networks were moving it to the middle of the night, it was time to call it quits.  I think if they would have developed better characters or improved the writing, they could have made it without him