What's Happening!! Forums

ABC (ended 1979)

Who do you think makes the show..

SupermanNYC

[1]Mar 18, 2006
    • level: 45
    I must say I love Dee. she is so funny.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

GSU2004

[2]Mar 27, 2006
    • level: 9
    I think they all complimented each other. The show could have kept going if they didnt have the problems behind the scenes.

SupermanNYC

[3]Apr 6, 2006
    GSU2004 wrote:
    I think they all complimented each other. The show could have kept going if they didnt have the problems behind the scenes.
    thats true

chelimina

[4]Apr 14, 2006
    • level: 5
    GSU2004 wrote:

Please elaborate, while I search...

reality_hater

[5]Apr 16, 2006
    • level: 4
    Each character brings something to the table, however I have to say that Rerun is the funniest!!

GSU2004

[6]Apr 18, 2006
    According to a TVParty.com article, there was alot of drama on the set. In season two, Mabel King became upset with the writers and producers for not giving her a bigger role in the show. As you know, her character was probably seen in one or two scenes for most episodes in season two. I also remember seeing her on BET and how she stated that her acceptance of Mama Thomas was the worse mistake of her career. The show, according to her was supposed to center more around the Thomas family. Hence, her departure.

It was a known fact that Fred Berry was on drugs at the time and many of his personal problems became production problems. He would demand more money and convince Thomas and Nelson to join him. They would stage walk outs on rehearsals and become unbearable hence leading the producers to shut the show down despite good ratings from viewers.

The Urbanite at Georgia State University interviewed Essie Berry, the widow of Fred Berry and she provided alot of insight about how Fred was simply standing up for black actors of the time. I can get you a link to that article if you like.

chelimina

[7]Apr 18, 2006
    I had actually found some stuff about the goings-on of the show. It was a lot of tragedy on and off the set. Dee had lost her stepfather and suffered injuries in a car crash. Monte Irvin, who wrote the pilot, ended up homeless after he was blackballed by Hollywood.

I agree with Mabel King, though. Here she was, the mother, and she was being upstaged by her 9 year-old "daughter". The guys got more advice from Dee in the entire series than anyone else. One of Mabel King's most spoken lines was, "This is true...". And, I read that she also re-wrote the scripts because her lines were just that bad. It was just too reminiscent of "Good Times" problems, right down to the writers sending Mrs. Thomas to Arizona with a new husband and introducing a younger castmate (Little Earl). It was bad enough that many of the actors were recycled from "Good Times"...but, to have the same issues was beyond ridiculous.

GSU2004

[8]Apr 19, 2006
    chelimina wrote:
    I had actually found some stuff about the goings-on of the show. It was a lot of tragedy on and off the set. Dee had lost her stepfather and suffered injuries in a car crash. Monte Irvin, who wrote the pilot, ended up homeless after he was blackballed by Hollywood.

I agree with Mabel King, though. Here she was, the mother, and she was being upstaged by her 9 year-old "daughter". The guys got more advice from Dee in the entire series than anyone else. One of Mabel King's most spoken lines was, "This is true...". And, I read that she also re-wrote the scripts because her lines were just that bad. It was just too reminiscent of "Good Times" problems, right down to the writers sending Mrs. Thomas to Arizona with a new husband and introducing a younger castmate (Little Earl). It was bad enough that many of the actors were recycled from "Good Times"...but, to have the same issues was beyond ridiculous.

I think the introduction of the "Earls" were a weak attempt to bring in white viewers. Mabel King made some good points the show could have kept its humor but made some valid points at the same time like Good Times started out with. More, in my opinion could have been done with her character. If you watch episodes from the 3rd season, you will find that they still speak of her like she is still there. I wonder if the show would have came back for a fourth season if they would have gave her a Esther Rolle deal to come back.

divinematt

[9]Apr 19, 2006
    I think Mabel brought a grace to the show, that the other actors just could not. I think after she left, the show really went down in value.

chelimina

[10]Apr 20, 2006
    I agree. The father was remarried and out of the picture, so Dee basically had NO parents. I don't even know how the writers thought that would fly.

GSU2004

[11]Apr 21, 2006
    Good point, they should have had Dee move in with her father. It would have some funny and intense storylines.

SupermanNYC

[12]Apr 21, 2006
    chelimina wrote:
    I agree. The father was remarried and out of the picture, so Dee basically had NO parents. I don't even know how the writers thought that would fly.
    yeah I agree with you there.

BabyKitten199

[13]Jan 7, 2007
    • level: 7
    I think Raj made the show, he was the glue that held the gang together.  I liked all of the characters, even obnoxious as hell Dee.  It's unfortunate the way they pushed Mama/Mable out of the show, she was awesome as their mom.  I had no idea about all of the behind-the-scenes drama going on!  That's really too bad because this was a great show that portrayed black characters really well & I know a lot of whites (like me) enjoyed the show & were sad to see it go.  I love it when TVLand has a marathon of WH, it's one of the best shows of the 70s!!!

goldengirlsfan

[14]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 2
    I think they all made the show what it is, but I think it was Raj that was the center of it all. I'm really sad to hear about all the off the show stuff that was going on. I knew nothing about any of that. It will always be a favorite of mine and I can watch the eps over and over.