What's My Line?

EPISODE #278

Aired Daily 12:00 AM Oct 02, 1955 on CBS

• When Vic Perry's line (professional pickpocket) is shown to the audience, along with the roars of laughter someone in the audience says "Pickpocket!" pretty loudly. Did the panel members hear it or not?

There is one thing about this very interesting episode that seems to have escaped the notice of the reviewers to date. (Hmmm... I'm starting to sound a bit like John Charles Daly myself!) Anyway, folks, when the occupation of Vic Perry (professional pickpocket) was shown to the home and studio audience, amongst the roars of laughter from the latter one can clearly hear someone in the audience saying "Pickpocket!" It was actually loud enough that I thought it would have disqualified the contestant and earned a stern rebuke from JC, but either it wasn't audible to those on the stage or they discretely pretended not to hear it. At the back of my mind I wondered if Robert Q, who ended up guessing his occupation, actually did hear it... or not. In any case, I'd like to say that the only thing more amazing than the entertainment value WML holds after so many decades is the dedication of those on this forum. Both are truly unexpected pleasures.