What's My Line?

EPISODE #539

Aired Daily 12:00 AM Nov 13, 1960 on CBS

• How can you top a question from Joey Bishop to the governor-elect of Delaware who, as a vocation, sells fertilizer, in which Joey asks "If you're really pooped, you could sit on it?" Answer: John Wayne!

How can you top a question from Joey Bishop to the governor-elect of Delaware who, as a vocation, sells fertilizer, in which Joey asks "If you're really pooped, you could sit on it?" For the most part, you can't. It was absolutely hysterical and you could see that John Daly was struggling to keep a straight face. Joey's question was one of the funniest that I've ever heard on television. Nevertheless, I was awed when mystery guest John Wayne came out. To no one's surprise, he was guessed right away (3 questions), but to my delight, he was humble and delightful. He was promoting "The Alamo'" though he had also just released "North to Alaska" (which wasn't a bad movie, by the way), and he humbly opined that he wasn't ashamed of either film, although he couldn't say the same for others he had made. God bless you John! You still rule!