What's My Line?

Season 12 Episode 23


Aired Daily 12:00 AM Feb 05, 1961 on CBS



  • Notes

    • Though it wasn't mentioned, this was the 11th anniversary of the show. However, this still was a very special night due to the surprise the panel got in the mystery guest round. In the first game, the panel basically had it figured out that the contestant was a naval officer and that he had something to do with missiles. However, it took a major hint by John, who used the word "polarity," to get them on the track of the Polaris missile. In the second game, the dental instructor put them through the wringer as she totally stumped them. Guest panelist Tony Perkins came the closest when he said she was a teacher, but he thought she was a yoga instructor. The special event of the evening came when Dorothy popped out from behind the curtain. She was up there for more than a few minutes using a high pitched squeak to fool the panel before Martin correctly identified her. It was also very interesting that when Debbie Reynolds, who was filling in as a panelist for Dorothy, questioned her, Dorothy broke out an accent which was very reminiscent of the one Debbie used in her very memorable appearance on the show a year earlier. This was definitely a night of celebration as Dolly Mae returned and she seemed touched by the applause. And on that happy note, "What's My Line?" concluded its 11th anniversary program as well as its 550th broadcast. - Sargebri (2005)

      The arrangement of the panel is very different on this episode. Normally, the panelists are seated in this order: female, male, female, male. However, this evening it is male, female, male, female. What is interesting about it is the fact that this would be the arrangement used for the syndicated version. Soupy Sales would come out, first followed by the two guest panelists, with Arlene coming out last in the anchor position to introduce either Wally Bruner or Larry Blyden. - Sargebri (2005)

      KILGALLEN WATCH!!! Dolly Mae looked fairly well this evening as she made her triumphant return to the show. She also was extremely nervous as she was not only holding on to John's hand throughout, but she also seemed as if she was breathing very heavily. The next week she would return to her usual seat on the panel. Unfortunately, her good health wouldn't last. In early 1963, her substance abuse problems would once again come back to plague her and she would once again be admitted to Le Roy Sanitarium to try to get a hold of her problems. However, it still was a night to celebrate the return of the "Voice of Broadway." - Sargebri (2005)

No results found.
No results found.
No results found.