What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

22 NOVEMBER 1963 - A TV Snapshot

The1Factotum1i1

[1]Apr 19, 2006
    • level: 13

Some time ago I said I'd dig out what precisely was being shown at the time TV started reporting on the assassination of President Kennedy. This is from TV GUIDE, 16 November 1963:

(New York Metropolitan edition)
    Channels
    (2)WCBS New York (CBS)
    (3)WTIC Hartford (CBS)
    (4)WNBC New York (NBC)
    (5)WNEW New York (independent)
    (7)WABC New York (ABC)
    (8 )WNHC New Haven (ABC)
    (9)WOR New York (Independent)
    (11)WPIX New York (independent)
    (13)WNDT New York (NET)

--------------------------------------

Friday 22 November 1963
    1:30 PM
    (2) (3) AS THE WORLD TURNS
    (4) BACHELOR FATHER-Comedy
    Kelly is fascinated by a young
    man who spends all his time at
    the beach.John Forsythe, Noreen Cochran
    (5) MOVIE- Mystery
    "THE MAN IN THE TRUNK" See 10 AM Ch. 5
    for details
    (a 1942 Fox film starring Lynne Roberts)
    (7) ANN SOUTHERN-Comedy
    Katy finds herself in a jam when it's
    discovered that she's the one responsible
    for giving Donald Carpenter a Puppy.
    (8 ) GALE STORM-Comedy
    Singer Pat Boone books passage aboard the
    S.S. Ocean Queen, Hoping to enjoy a short
    vacation. Susanna: Gale Storm
    (9) MOVIE-Comedy
    "PRIVATE LIVES" See Wednesday 9:30 A.M.
    Ch. 9 for details
    (a 1931 MGM Norma Shearer film)
    (11)STAR FOR TODAY- Drama
    "THE JOYFUL LUNATIC" Alexander Scourby
    (13)PLANET EARTH-Discussion
    "SEAS OF GRASS- THE PLAINS"

-------------------------------------------------

Previously we thought maybe the affiliates would be running
    pretty much the same thing, but the same time in Philadelphia
    was different:

(3) WRCV Phila. (NBC)
    (6) WFIL Phila. (ABC)
    (8 ) WGAL Lancaster (NBC)
    (10) WCAU Phila. (CBS)
    (12) WHYY Wilmington, Delaware (NET)

1:00 PM
    (3) HAWAIIAN EYE (1 Hour)
    (8 ) DICK POWELL THEATRE (1 Hour)
    (12)UNIVERSITY 12
    Lecture on Magna Carta,Parliament
    and the Stuarts (1 Hour)

1:30 PM
    (6) WHO DO YOU TRUST?
    (10)AS THE WORLD TURNS

----------------------------------

So outside of CBS, there was no network offerings at the time of the first report. That's probably why there's only a CBS tape of that exact moment; there was a reason to tape AS THE WORLD TURNS, probably to kinescope later for use by the Armed Forces. ABC and NBC were idle for that period, and the affiliates filled the time with their own local-sponsored rerun packages.

Edited on 07/11/2006 4:45pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

outoffog

[2]Apr 19, 2006
    • level: 16
    I believe CBS was continually taping its entire schedule as it were being aired [primarily for legal reasons], just in case there WAS a "special bulletin" or extended news coverage of a major event, so that there would be something to "reference" to (either the tape itself, on an inexpensive kinescope) for their archives. They rarely, if ever, saved any of their daytime programming on tape on a permanent basis. On THIS day, November 22nd, those few minutes of "AS THE WORLD TURNS" is probably the ONLY extant tape of an episode from 1963 in the CBS archives. Of course, they saved EVERYTHING they telecast that weekend, from the moment Kennedy was shot until the morning after his funeral.

Two of the three networks were "down" at 1:30pm(et)- NBC and ABC- and their local affiliates presented locally produced shows or syndicated reruns {"BACHELOR FATHER", "THE ANN SOTHERN SHOW"} OR pieces of old movies [In the mid and late '60s, Channel 3, WTIC, the CBS affiliate in Hartford, Ct., used to "serialize" old films every afternoon at 1pm, five days a week, so each film was presented in five "parts"].

Notice that Channel 6- WFIL- presented "WHO DO YOU TRUST?" [w/Woody Woodbury] at 1:30? The show aired nationally at 3:30pm(et)- Channel 7 in New York carried it at its 'normal' time-
    so that meant Channel 6 showed something LOCALLY at 3:30, showing a "delayed" telecast (probably the previous day's episode) of "TRUST" earlier!

Bravo, 'factotum'!!!!

Fat-tote-bag

[3]Apr 22, 2006
    • level: 1
    [This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
    Edited on 05/13/2006 6:00am

The1Factotum1i1

[4]Apr 23, 2006
    Fat-tote-bag wrote:

You really think the United Service Organization (USO) would have spent money to show As The World Turns to enlisted men overseas ?   And I thought you were dumb before.

I realize it might sound strange to you that, as you put it, "enlisted men overseas" might have an interest in seeing soap operas, and that the USO, whom you've also helpfully added stands for United Service Organization woud be showing such things.  I guess in your case we have to give you credit for trying to put the two ideas together, that of some kind of entertainment that would be offered to "enlisted men overseas"and a way that said entertainment might be brought to them.

But I've got big news for you. Pay attention- The United States has military bases all over the world- they can be belonging to the Army, The Navy, the Air Force or the Marines.  And in these bases, there are to be sure, many enlisted men. That's true. But hold on to your seat now, they have officers too! And even more unbelievable, but also true,-many have their families with them! This includes women. They are the wives and daughters and even some personnel too.And historically, Women are the biggest fans of soap operas. Well, they would want to watch them. But how, if the USO isn't doing it?

Well, This is going to come as even more stunning news-There has been in existence, as far back as World war Two, an Armed Forces broadcasting system that recycles old shows specifically so our men and women in far flung spots around the world get to see their favorites. Millions of kinescopes of virtually every entertainment program made by the networks were donated for that purpose every day for decades, and then they went to tape in the 1970's.It's truly a wonder how such things have eluded you, but It's my pleasure to educate you once again.

The1Factotum1i1

[5]Apr 23, 2006

You're probably right about CBS's recording everything for legal reasons, the practice was around for many years. At NBC they did that, but the AUDIO ONLY! There's hundreds of TONIGHT shows they have like that, for instance.

At 3;30 Channel 6 did in fact run more reruns they had, the hour long "TRAILMASTER" (syndication title for "WAGON TRAIN"). But I think that the WHO DO YOU TRUST was probably one made to run on a specific day, taped a week or two in advance, with the rest of a week's worth of shows, then relayed at several times during the day by the network on closed circut for the convienience of affiliates in different time zones.

Edited on 07/10/2006 11:05pm

chchon

[6]Apr 23, 2006

Having worked closely with Armed Forces Radio and Television during a 20-year military career, I can attest that what The1Factotum1i1 writes is right on the mark. Soaps were tremendously popular not only with dependents but some active duty members (definitely not me though). Of course, I worked during the era of VT and satillites. I sure heard stories of the old days of kinescope and 33rpm records. During that era, many service members had to rely on communal televisions. Of course, on some more-developed installations, particularly where a lot of dependents accompanied members, individuals owned televisions. It would be interesting to see the old programming schedules from those days. I do know that many thought-to-be-lost programs emerged from AFRTS archives overseas. I assume that, by now, all the old kinescope collections have been accounted for.

The last time I toured the broadcasting headquarters in Seoul, I saw a room full of pristine classic 33rpm records, many had not been played in ages. 

The1Factotum1i1

[7]Apr 24, 2006

Actually, a lot of kinescopes made for the Armed Forces are the ONLY examples left of a lot of shows. They were supposed to be returned to their respective networks,  but often they weren't, and nobody seemed to mind much because the nets only would in turn destroy them just like the master prints, and there wasn't much chance of rebroadcasting them illegally anywhere because after all, it was copyrighted material.

Well, there were, thankfully, a good number of shows saved by fans/souvenir collectors in uniform. Often, the KS programmes were exactly as broadcast for U.S. viewers, with the original ads. (Most consumer goods advertised were available at the PX or stores located at bases worldwide). But sometimes, commercials were removed and replaced with PSA-type spots aimed at Armed Forces personnel, often urging you to re-enlist if your hitch is ending soon, look into a military savings plan, or how to get extra benefits for your family if you're killed. Real soldier stuff.

The practice of sending KS out ended in the mid 70's, the latest I've ever seen is 1974, that being a re-run of the Saturday morning cartoon series "Funky Phantom" in probably it's fifth go-round as it debuted in 1971. It's also in Black and white. I don't know why it was so, but sometimes  an Armed forces KS version of  a show, that late, will be a color  Kodak or Agfa print with black and white kinescoped commercials, or even more mysteriously, the reverse. Either way, a huge amount of our tax money was being spent on entertaining the military. This I don't mind at all, but the wastefulness of just dumping the film afterward was tragic. When they started using VTs, then of course the waste stopped, and the more economical tapes just got shown and refilled.

outoffog

[8]Apr 24, 2006

You're right, 'factorum'!! A friend of mine a long time ago showed me, on tape, an AFRTS  b&w kinescope (from CBS) of  "THE JACKIE GLEASON SHOW" from 1967 [an hour-long "Honeymooners" episode] minus the 'CBS color' logo, the sponsor I.D.s, the middle transitions {"Stay tuned for MORE of "THE JACKIE GLEASON SHOW"!}, the commercials, and a portion of the closing credits where the CBS announcer told viewers what was coming on next....and the CBS logo at the very end. In place of the commercials were a few "Fact Or Fiction?" segments with Art Ballinger- those, of course, were for the benefit of the enlisted personnel watching overseas {i.e. "Know your country!!"}.

By the way, in 1963, "MAJOR ADAMS-TRAILMASTER' was NOT a "syndicated series" as yet- ABC had the rights to run those 1957-'60 episodes starring Ward Bond in the daytime...weekdays at 4pm(et) and on Sunday afternoons {5pm, I believe}. "WAGON TRAIN" was not syndicated by MCA (under any title) until the fall of 1965, when it left the ABC network for good. So that meant Channel 6 in Philly was showing something else LOCALLY at 4 o'clock in late 1963. You'll have to consult those listings you browsed to find out- I don't know offhand.

Fat-tote-bag

[9]Apr 24, 2006
    Edited on 05/13/2006 6:01am

The1Factotum1i1

[10]Apr 25, 2006
    Edited on 07/17/2006 9:58am
    Edited 2 total times.

ymike673

[11]Apr 25, 2006
    • level: 11
     I have a couple of Johnny Carson Tonight shows from the 1960's from AFRT and they are not complete. References to the war in Viet Nam are edited out of the opening monologue. Also part of a discussion between Johnny and a guest is cut out and from what I can gather that material  also pertained to the war. Since so little exisits from the New York version its nice to have. But I wish it was not censored.

Fat-tote-bag

[12]Apr 25, 2006
    Edited on 07/17/2006 9:59am
    Edited 2 total times.

The1Factotum1i1

[13]Apr 26, 2006
    Edited on 07/17/2006 10:00am

The1Factotum1i1

[14]Apr 26, 2006

ymike673 wrote:
     I have a couple of Johnny Carson Tonight shows from the 1960's from AFRT and they are not complete. References to the war in Viet Nam are edited out of the opening monologue. Also part of a discussion between Johnny and a guest is cut out and from what I can gather that material  also pertained to the war. Since so little exisits from the New York version its nice to have. But I wish it was not censored.

They may also be editing out merely topical references like an upcoming special where they give a specific time and date that obviously will have passed or won't be shown on AFRT.

But what exactly were the censorship guidelines? Do you know what would cause an edit? Certainly every monologue reference about Viet Nam couldn't have been considered inflammatory, at least not early on.

The1Factotum1i1

[15]Apr 26, 2006
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 04/26/2006 10:02am

Fat-tote-bag

[16]Apr 26, 2006
    Edited on 07/17/2006 10:01am
    Edited 2 total times.

The1Factotum1i1

[17]Apr 26, 2006
    Edited on 07/17/2006 9:59am

Fat-tote-bag

[18]Apr 26, 2006
    Edited on 07/17/2006 10:00am

The1Factotum1i1

[19]Apr 26, 2006
    Edited on 07/17/2006 10:01am

outoffog

[20]Apr 26, 2006

To return to the topic at hand (about four or five leagues away right now, I imagine...)--

I'm not surprised that Carson's "zingers" about Vietnam were sliced out by AFRTS. Would YOU like to be reminded where you were watching "THE TONIGHT SHOW" (via kinescope), on a TV set in the middle of a war zone? It was wrong to eliminate those jokes, but I could see the "brass"'s point. If certain dates were mentioned concerning a new movie or personal appearance, those were most likely clipped from the kine because those rebroadcasts were supposed to be "current", not a few days, weeks or months old.

In early 1965, after he stopped appearing in the 11:15-11:30pm(et) segment of the show [preferring to start at 11:30 because, by that time, most stations began "THE TONIGHT SHOW" then; THAT became the show's start time after January 1967], Johnny once remarked in his monologue that the only people who saw those "phantom" 15 minutes were "the Armed Forces and four Indians in Gallup, New Mexico".