What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

A Run Ends And A New One Begins

ymike673

[1]Jan 9, 2008
    • level: 11
    There was an article in today's LI Newsday about the return of B/W overnight. Mention is made of the current run of WML ending on Feb.25 and a new run beginning on Feb.26. If this is true maybe GSN has decided to make the daily B/W overnight more than a short term thing. We can only hope.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Stan16mm

[2]Jan 9, 2008
    • level: 5

If a new run begins on Feb. 26th. would this include What's My Line? In going over the remaining episodes before the conclusion, Feb 26th. would not get us to the last show; we'd be a few shy.

I'm hoping that the show gets rerun all over again.

ymike673

[3]Jan 9, 2008
    Stan16mm wrote:

If a new run begins on Feb. 26th. would this include What's My Line? In going over the remaining episodes before the conclusion, Feb 26th. would not get us to the last show; we'd be a few shy.

I'm hoping that the show gets rerun all over again.

As of Jan.9 there are 46 episodes left to air to finish the run. (Several episodes from the last season are "lost") On a daily basis the current run will end on Feb.25.

astorino

[4]Jan 10, 2008
    • level: 62

ymike673 wrote:
    There was an article in today's LI Newsday about the return of B/W overnight. Mention is made of the current run of WML ending on Feb.25 and a new run beginning on Feb.26. If this is true maybe GSN has decided to make the daily B/W overnight more than a short term thing. We can only hope.

GSN's press release of January 3, 2008 which deals with this topic:

http://www.gsn.com/corporate/press.php

does not mention this so I wonder if Long Island Newwday is in error? I checked their web site but could not find anything.

http://www.newsday.com/

I guess time will tell.

Edited on 01/10/2008 5:06pm
    Edited 2 total times.

ymike673

[5]Jan 11, 2008
    astorino wrote:

ymike673 wrote:

GSN's press release of January 3, 2008 which deals with this topic:

http://www.gsn.com/corporate/press.php

does not mention this so I wonder if Long Island Newwday is in error? I checked their web site but could not find anything.

http://www.newsday.com/

I guess time will tell.

I guess we will have to just check the GSN schedule come late Feb. If daily WMLs are still listed for after Feb.25 than at least we should see the start of the next run.

agent_0042

[6]Jan 11, 2008
    • level: 66
    Yeah, we'll just have to keep watching. Zap2It provides listing up to two weeks in advance. Unless somebody knows of a site that does better listings than that (which I haven't been able to find), they're probably best to go with.

bahn1225

[7]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 1

After having viewed the "last show" the other evening, I have a couple of issues with it.

I feel that Dorothy Kilgallen really got short shrift what with being briefly mentioned along with Fred Allen. I realize that no one wanted to make the episode a "downer" any more than it already was. However the simple fact is that Dorothy appeared on 737 episodes while Fred appeared only 60 times (Tony Randall made more appearances than that).

Some have argued that the programme went down hill after Dorothy's departure and I'm not quite sure of this as I've become a fan of Phyllis Newman. But one must admit that something was missing after Miss Kilgallen was gone.

My other point is a minor quibble regarding style. I would have loved to see a montage of highlights from over the years. You know, hilarious moments, little (not infamous) bloopers and the like. Perhaps someone could answer this question: Were such "highlight shows" a thing that was done in 1967 or was that something yet to be invented?

stopettearoma

[8]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 3

Ed Sullivan did them occasionally in the 1950s and 1960s. The Paley Center for Media (formerly the Museum for TV and Radio) has a 1958 Sullivan hour that was totally a tribute to singer / actress Gertrude Lawrence, who had died in 1952.

Edited on 02/27/2008 1:07am

agent_0042

[9]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 66
    For what it's worth, a highlights show of sorts was latter done, in fact, because of the way it was done, unfortunate damage was done to certain kinescopes of the program when the clips were done for the program, rendering those episodes "lost to history."