What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

ARLENE FRANCIS Forum

W-B

[41]Dec 9, 2005
    • level: 39
    astorino wrote:
    During the introductions on EPISODE #528 on August 28, 1960, Joey Bishop announced that the name of Arlene Francis' new radio show on station WOR at 3:15 PM daily is called "Arlene Francis at Sardi's." Net references call the program "Luncheon at Sardi's." As we all know, Sardi's was, and still is, a famous New York City restaurant.

That's probably how Arlene's radio show got started, and it was a few years before her program became self-titled. As I noted in various notes, Arlene and Dorothy were both on WOR radio before the latter's show was ended in 1963.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lovewml

[42]Dec 12, 2005
    • level: 3
    I've become so infatuated with Miss Francis lately, she actually appeared in a dream I had the other night. I think we were watching What's My Line together. Don't worry, I haven't lost it. Yes, I do have a life.

astorino

[43]Dec 12, 2005
    • level: 62
    W-B wrote:
    That's probably how Arlene's radio show got started, and it was a few years before her program became self-titled.

As a brand new show, Joey Bishop announced it as "Arlene Francis at Sardi's." Do you know of a different self-title it went by later?

astorino

[44]Dec 13, 2005
    lovewml wrote:
    I've become so infatuated with Miss Francis lately... Don't worry, I haven't lost it.

Lovewml, we'll only worry if you begin wearing a heart-shaped diamond pendant necklace!

W-B

[45]Dec 13, 2005
    • level: 39
    astorino wrote:
    As a brand new show, Joey Bishop announced it as "Arlene Francis at Sardi's." Do you know of a different self-title it went by later?

Why, The Arlene Francis Show, of course.

jimarnone

[46]Dec 14, 2005
    • level: 4
    astorino wrote:
    ClassicTV wrote:
    Until the end of October, you can hear Arlene Francis host Part IV of the NBC Radio Network's 50th Anniversary Retrospective that aired in 1976.

Thanks so much for these links!

MAIN PAGE WITH ARLENE'S PHOTO:

http://www.monitorbeacon.com/index.html

THE SOUNDS OF MONITOR:

http://www.monitorbeacon.com/sounddownloads.html

All five segments the "First Fabulous Fifty" series, an excellent 50 year review of NBC Radio and world history (originally broadcast in the fall of 1976), are now available on the Sounds of Monitor webpage. It is well worth the time to download and listen to these audio files.

lovewml

[47]Dec 20, 2005
    episode # 540

AF to lighthouse keeper-
    "That's lonely work. Are you married? You gotta have a girl to do the light housekeeping!"

Man, she's funny! Such natural wit and great timing.

billsav57

[48]Dec 21, 2005
    I've said this before, but all the WML regulars save for Bennett had major radio backgrounds; Dorothy with her morning show, Daly in news, and Arlene, most of all, with her varied and huge radio career.
    But the biggest radio star, of course, to appear regularly on WML was Fred Allen.

port5170

[49]Dec 21, 2005
    • level: 12
    new at this forum, whats my line is a fav I sit up all the time to watch it,Arlene is my Fave panelist, altho I love everyone..She had such wit on the show, and never backed down

mehitable

[50]Dec 22, 2005
    Hey, Port. Welcome to the WML world. You might like Arlene's books, a bio and a charm book. I am currently enjoying both of them.

ymike673

[51]Dec 30, 2005
    • level: 11
    If you live in the NYC area and want to see Arlene on the "Big Screen" you should go to the Film Forum where "One, Two, Three" will be screened daily from Jan.13 to the 19th. This was also James Cagney's last film for more than 20 years.

astorino

[52]Feb 7, 2006
    port5170 wrote:
    new at this forum, whats my line is a fav I sit up all the time to watch it, Arlene is my Fave panelist, altho I love everyone. She had such wit on the show, and never backed down

You're in good company, port! Thanks for joining us!

ClassicTV

[53]Mar 25, 2006
    • level: 2
    While introducing Arlene Francis on today's show (Saturday, March 25th, original air date October 14, 1962), Tony Randall mentions how New Yorkers may have noticed that traffic was tied up in certain areas of the city the previous week because Arlene had begun shooting a movie on the streets of New York with Doris Day.

This movie will air tomorrow, Sunday, March 26th, from 2-4PM on Turner Classic Movies. "The Thrill of It All", released in 1963 in color, opens with Arlene in a cab, and then shows her walking into an office building. Her character is ecstatic over just being informed by her doctor that she is expecting. James Garner also stars in this film.

wieniekilgallen

[54]Mar 27, 2006

This movie will air tomorrow, Sunday, March 26th, from 2-4PM on Turner Classic Movies. "The Thrill of It All", released in 1963 in color, opens with Arlene in a cab, and then shows her walking into an office building. Her character is ecstatic over just being informed by her doctor that she is expecting. James Garner also stars in this film.

Thanks for the heads-up! What a great role for Arlene. I hope that all Arlene Francis fans get a chance to this film. She was outstanding!

wieniekilgallen

[57]May 6, 2006

According to the Celebrity Register published in 1959, Arlene and Martin's home in Manhattan was at the Ritz Tower at Park Avenue and 57th Street.

The Register also lists Dorothy's address at 45 East 68th Street and Bennett's Manhattan address as 132 East 62nd Street.

John lived in Rye, NY at 28 Griswold Road.

Arlene and Martin also had a home in Mount Kisco, as did Bennett. Bennett's home in Mount Kisco was named "The Columns."

Fat-tote-bag

[58]May 6, 2006
    • level: 1
    wieniekilgallen wrote:

According to the Celebrity Register published in 1959, Arlene and Martin's home in Manhattan was at the Ritz Tower at Park Avenue and 57th Street.

The Register also lists Dorothy's address at 45 East 68th Street and Bennett's Manhattan address as 132 East 62nd Street.

John lived in Rye, NY at 28 Griswold Road.

Arlene and Martin also had a home in Mount Kisco, as did Bennett. Bennett's home in Mount Kisco was named "The Columns."

The Cerf house is still there.  Some surviving relatives of Bennett (I won't say who) still live there.  The Kilgallen / Kollmar house is still there.  Since the 1980s it's been owned by the government of France, which removed one of the two staircases but kept most of the interior the same.  Nicolas Galey, a member of the French delegation to the United Nations, is qualified to say that because he watched a kinescope of the Kollmars on "Person To Person."

As for the Gabels' home in the Ritz Tower at Park Avenue at East 57th Street, it may or may not still be there.  Even if the outside looks the same, the inside could have been gutted and rebuilt long ago.  The window through which the weight fell could be a wall now.   Also, if you want to see it you have to find out which corner of Park Avenue and East 57th Street it is on or was on.   It's a huge intersection.   Park is one of the few avenues with two - way traffic, and 57 is a rare two - way street that gives you your last chance to drive from the East River to the Hudson before Central Park gets in your way.

The GSN rerun cycle recently entered the period in 1963 when contestants started staying at a new hotel called Loew's Americana Hotel.   Goodson Todman evidently started using it instead of the Waldorf Astoria.  Loew's Americana got a lot of PR in 1963.  It was THE place to stay if you were a tourist who hated the aging Art Deco patterns.   Jet planes and interstate highways were new, and airline passengers and motorists wanted to sleep somewhere that also looked new.

You can't see much of the "new" style of 1963 anymore because the interior of Loew's Americana (including the lobby) was gutted and rebuilt during many changes of ownership and names.  Ironically, you CAN still see the Waldorf Astoria looking a lot like it did when it was new in 1931.   New Yorkers can be unpredictable on the rare occasions when they choose something ancient to preserve.   It would be nice if they could preserve Arlene Francis' home, but at least they saved all those videotapes and kinescopes of her.   Throughout the decades they were often stored at a financial loss to the parties involved, and a financial loss is a big no - no in Manhattan.

wieniekilgallen

[59]May 6, 2006
    Fat-tote-bag wrote:
    As for the Gabels' home in the Ritz Tower at Park Avenue at East 57th Street, it may or may not still be there.  Even if the outside looks the same, the inside could have been gutted and rebuilt long ago.  The window through which the weight fell could be a wall now.   Also, if you want to see it you have to find out which corner of Park Avenue and East 57th Street it is on or was on.   It's a huge intersection.   Park is one of the few avenues with two - way traffic, and 57 is a rare two - way street that gives you your last chance to drive from the East River to the Hudson before Central Park gets in your way.

The Ritz Tower is at the northwest corner of Park and 57th. The Gabels' apartment was on the eighth floor. The tourist that was killed by the falling barbell was leaving Le Pavillon restaurant, located on the street level of the Ritz Tower. When Le Pavillon folded, it was replaced by a bank. In the late 90s the space was taken over by a Borders bookstore.

Edited on 07/11/2006 12:09am

ClassicTV

[60]May 7, 2006
    • level: 2

There's an interesting brief essay on Arlene's impact on television on The Museum of Broadcast Communications website.  Commenting on the cancellation of Arlene's NBC talkshow, "Home", when network founder David Sarnoff fired the show's creator Pat Weaver, author Bernard Timberg writes, "...Arlene Francis' career as a national talkshow host was a casualty of forces that were moving network television away from strong women hosts, serious topics, sustaining shows and public service, and toward immediate bottom line profits -- the same forces that drove Edward R. Murrow from the air at CBS."  Mr. Timberg comments that Arlene's stature as a female talk show host would have increased had "Home" been allowed to continue into the 1960s. 

There is also a list of all her TV and radio series, films, and stage work, and a nice picture of her provided courtesy of her son, Peter. 

The site is: 

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/F/htmlF/francisarle/francisarle.htm

This website also has many alphabetized articles relating to the programs and personalities that have had a lasting impact on broadcasting.  I tried the link for video of NBC's first breaking news of President Kennedy's assassination, but it didn't work for me.

On this month's Monitor Radio website, the featured audio piece is Henry Morgan hosting an hour on a Sunday in February 1967, but it has a very brief segment from contributing reporter Arlene Francis.  The piece is about Mrs. America 1966, but she is interviewed by a male reporter.  Arlene basically introduces and wraps up the segment and does two commercials for DuPont's synthetic fiber for carpets.  Her voice sounds different - a little lower and more serious than we're accustomed to.  I'm guessing that it's partly due to the recording and the slightly different delivery style that she assumes as radio journalist.  Her voice sounds more familiar right at the end when she signs off with the word "Monitor".  Click on "The Sounds of Monitor" on the website:

http://www.monitorbeacon.com/

Edited on 07/11/2006 12:11am