What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

B&W Overnight Off GSN Schedule 3/30/09

dad1153

[1]Feb 24, 2009
    • level: 11

http://buzzerblog.flashgameshows.com/the-25000100000-pyramid-returns-to-gsn-march-30th/

"Late nights are also getting a change that's going to make people partially made. Family Feud (Dawson) will air at 3:00AM ET replacing What's My Line?. But if you stick it out to 3:30AM ET, you get an original Allen Ludden episode of Password as a treat instead of To Tell The Truth."

So, no more "WML?" and "TTTT" (or any B&W oldie) for a while.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

W-B

[2]Feb 25, 2009
    • level: 39
    In terms of the Allen Ludden Password, there are only two possibilities: the 1961-1967 CBS version (which was in black-and-white up to the last season when it went color), or the first year of the NBC Password Plus, up to the point where he suffered the stroke that ultimately claimed his life. (Only a small handful of 1971-1975 ABC Passwords exist - the only one I've seen on GSN was a 1973 edition with Jack Klugman and Brett Somers, and the first moments of another episode from 1972 with Sheila MacRae and Martin Milner was once on YouTube; all those few ABC Passwords, while on color videotape, are plagued with the dreaded 50 Hz-5 kHz 'telco' audio that was heard on network feeds in most parts of the country up to 1978.)

agent_0042

[3]Feb 25, 2009
    • level: 66
    (sigh) Here we go again. Well, at least we managed to get through a fairly substantial run before we decided to do this again...

ymike673

[4]Mar 2, 2009
    • level: 11
    And by waiting until March 30 to end WML's run on GSN we at least get to see 5 episodes that were skipped for tributes the last time they were supposed to air on GSN.

EricHalfabee

[5]Mar 16, 2009
    • level: 1

I emailed GSN and here's what they said:

"I've passed your email on to the programming department. Yes, we have made some scheduling changes. I'm not sure if it will be back.We will continue to enjoy wonderful fan-favorite franchises on our air, which include "Match Game," "Family Feud," "Password," "Password Plus," and "Super Password." Joining the line-up that week are returning favorites, which have not aired recently on GSN including, "The $25,000 Pyramid" and "The $100,000 Pyramid", both hosted by Dick Clark, and "Hollywood Squares" hosted by Tom Bergeron and featuring Whoopi Goldberg as the center square. We are also excited to be bringing our viewers original programming such as "The Newlywed Game" hosted by Carnie Wilson and a second season of "Catch 21" starting April 6th. We salute and respect all game shows both classic and new and are excited to bring you this new lineup and other great programs throughout the year.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

The GSN Team "

Well, they've lost one viewer. WML? was the only reason I watched GSN.

Edited on 03/30/2009 1:38am

agent_0042

[6]Mar 18, 2009
    A standard response. I'd bother e-mailing if I thought it would do any good, but I really don't think it will...

pfrakes

[7]Mar 30, 2009
    • level: 2
    So I guess the run is over. I don't understand how one could have the classic jewels that GSN has in their possession and just sit on them. You can't get it anywhere else. I would have a classic B&W hour daily, in the middle of the day, if I were them. Why bump off the true classics? Instead, sit on the old Match Games and Family Feuds until they are true classics too.

Not that venting here does much good, this is just my 2 cents worth..

astorino

[8]Mar 30, 2009
    • level: 62

pfrakes wrote:
    Not that venting here does much good, this is just my 2 cents worth..

And it's a well-said two cents' worth. Around here, you're preaching to the choir.

Twowaditty

[9]Mar 31, 2009
    • level: 3
    I wish they would come on DVD this way no more of these stupid annoying commercials and 'crunching!'

sankun6

[10]Mar 31, 2009

Amen to that, I would buy the DVD's in a heartbeat to get all of the episodes instead of the crunched version, which is still better than none. I too will not be watching GSN. I work 3rd shift and used to love the 40 min episodes of the black & white overnite. I'll check back in a few months to see if they put anything good on.

agent_0042

[11]Mar 31, 2009
    Yeah, GSN is now off my viewing radar. I won't be watching the new version of The Newlywed Game and, though, I like $25,000 Pyramid and $100,000 Pyramid, I won't be watching those either.

Twowaditty

[12]Apr 1, 2009
    • level: 3
    Same here!!

Johnwmlfan

[13]Apr 2, 2009

Yes, sadly the myopic brain trust at GSN has done it again. I agree with the poster who wondered how GSN could possess such treasures as WML and TTTT and not even use them. You can add I've Got a Secret and The Name's The Same to that list, but WML is my favorite. They didn't call it the Golden Age Of TV for nothing !

And GSN is flooding its' airwaves with at least half a dozen episodes of Family Feud, with all of the different hosts throughout the day. I mean, BOMBARDING us ! I won't watch much of anything from GSN for awhile, save for an occasional "Regis" rerun of "Millionaire", when I absolutely have nothing else to do.

GSN has apparently lost sight of why it was originally created--to air episodes of classic game shows, including and especially those in B&W.

Now, we are slowly being subjected to more and more "original" GSN programming-Dog Eat Dog, Carny Wilson hosting a new version of the Newlywed Game, Camouflage, etc. ad nauseum.

If GSN doesn't intend to air the classics such as WML, they should give them over to a new, start-up network that will.

One can only hope.....

agent_0042

[14]Apr 2, 2009
    Dog Eat Dog isn't a GSN original-- I didn't know they even still aired it.

pfrakes

[15]Apr 4, 2009
    I just noticed Titan TV had WML and TTTT scheduled for tonight (Saturday morning). I hurriedly checked other days, including next Saturday, looking for more airings, but found nothing. But I did tune in to see which episode they decided to show. The episode was called "Family Feud". Must have been just a cruel joke..

Lwilt13

[16]Apr 4, 2009
    "GSN not too Smart"

Most young folks today (not all), don't even know what went on prior to 1980. WWII is something from ancient history. They never heard of Jackie
    Gleason, Carol Burnett, or Bob Hope! Education in the US has gone downhill since the late '70's, and these are the people GSN is targeting? This group of people are not very smart and the people at GSN are even dumber. WML is a show where one has to think a little. It deals with occupations, something that is relevant in today's or any eras time. The humor exhibited by Daly and the panel shows how bright these people were. It is intriguing to watch a line of questioning from these "experts", especially from an investigative reporter like Dorothy Kilgallen. GSN has twin blockbusters with these two great shows (TTTT) and must be morons that can't stand prosperity. Look how stupid CBS was back in 1967 when they canceled WML. They realized their mistake and tried to bring it back but I guess John Daly was committed to something else and it eventually fizzled. The old adage "leave well enough alone" applied then and certainly applies now. If you bench Babe Ruth for Lou Gehrig, that's okay. However GSN puts on the Pyramid, which is kind of dumb, and more Family Feud, which is definitely dumb. Richard Dawson smacking lips with all those ladies is kind of revolting. The Pyramid is about naming things in a category. Interesting for a few shows than the same concept over and over, which amounts to boredom. Comparing Dick Clark to John Daly or Bud Collyer is like putting hamburger next to Filet mignon! Family Feud is dumb with stuff like "name a brand of toothpaste". I guess GSN likes to keep their late night audience riveted. Password with Allen Ludden is not bad but still takes a seat behind the two shows in question. Someone wrote that young people can't get excited when someone wins $50, the top prize on WML. A shows worthiness has zilch to do with the money given out, it is the content and concept of the show itself. The "special feature" of WML's mystery guest adds a unique quality to the show. Seeing stars like Raquel Welch, Willie Mays, Ricky Nelson, Sal Mineo and others was a thrill. Any game show that ran for sixteen and a half years through the competitive era of the fifties and sixties, has to be considered one of the greatest game shows ever and certainly deserves a place in the game show Hall of Fame. To be replaced by Family Feud (a show for eighth graders), and Pyramid (brainy concept but boring after a few shows), is pure stupidity on the part of whoever is calling the shots at GSN. If GSN is concerned about numbers maybe they should consider a different time slot, say midnight or so. Also I think it was a real insult to WML's viewers to pull the plug halfway through the run. Common decency would be to give it a rest after the final show! That's just ignorant. Stupid is as stupid does, and taking two
    super all-star shows likw WML and TTTT, where the viewer has to think a little, off the air for two average shows, is about as dumb as one can get. Someone at GSN should "tell the truth" and get these shows back on the air. Then GSN can thank their viewers once again for being with us "on What's My Line".
    Larry Blong

agent_0042

[17]May 3, 2009
    I'm 26-- it's not all of us young whippersnapppers who are like that-- just some.

LWilt13 wrote:
    Family Feud is dumb with stuff like "name a brand of toothpaste"

Listerine! Yeah, good answer, goodanswer goodanswer!

LWilt13 wrote:
    Someone wrote that young people can't get excited when someone wins $50, the top prize on WML. A shows worthiness has zilch to do with the money given out, it is the content and concept of the show itself.

Oh, absolutely. I mean, even if a game show is big money, I'll ditch it in a second if the format is lame, i.e. Dull or Not Dull?
    Edited on 05/03/2009 6:28am

pfrakes

[18]May 7, 2009

My online TV Guide shows a WML/TTTT coming up on Monday 5/11 at the old time slot (Sunday night/Monday morning). Can anyone else confirm this?

hedleylamarr

[19]May 13, 2009
    Nope. A cruel joke.