What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

BENNETT CERF Forum

ymike673

[61]Feb 26, 2006
    • level: 11
    During the entire run of WML the Rangers rarely made the playoffs. I believe their next playoff appearance would not be until April 1966. Also until the 1960's the Rangers could not play at the garden once the circus came to town. In 1950 they had to play all their Stanley Cup Final games on the road for this reason.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

cudaus1

[62]Feb 27, 2006
    • level: 1
    Being a Leafs fan, I remember that series well. I think Red Kelly scored a goal in ovettime to win one of the games in N.Y.
    Edited on 07/12/2006 4:10am

ymike673

[63]Feb 27, 2006
    That Leafs team would win 4 Stanley Cups in 5 years. One of hockey's all time best teams. And I like any team that beats the Rangers,LOL.
    Edited on 07/12/2006 4:09am

billsav57

[64]Feb 27, 2006
    • level: 3
    I was sort of surprised myself that the Rangers slipped into the playoffs in the early 60s ... Now I wonder if Bennett/Random House had season tickets or if he just was a front-runner ... lol

ymike673

[65]Feb 28, 2006
    They probably had corporate seats. I bet Bennett only showed up for the playoffs.
    Edited on 07/12/2006 4:12am

billsav57

[66]Mar 6, 2006
    Bennett talks about going to Giants football games, but I doubt he'd have followed the team across the river. He doesn't seem to be the New Jersey type.

lovewml

[67]Mar 19, 2006
    I was watching tape 7 of Ken Burns' "Baseball" series today, which covers the years 1950-60. I've probably viewed this a 1/2 dozen times and never noticed this before. When it gets to the point of the 1st game of the '55 World Series (the year Brooklyn finally beats the Yankees) you'll see a brief close up shot of Bennett Cerf in the stands. There's no mention of him and he's wearing a hat, but I'd swear to it it's him. No kidding!

ymike673

[68]Mar 19, 2006
    Bennett was a big fan of Mickey Mantle so I would guess he attended the WS at Yankee Stadium. Arlene was the NY Giants fan.
    Edited on 07/12/2006 4:09am

The1Factotum1i1

[69]Mar 22, 2006
    • level: 13
    Ken Burns probably has no idea who Bennett was anyway. I hated his documentary series about Baseball, Jazz and the Civil war. For one thing, they're so boringly dry. Careless scholarship indicates little interest in knowing finer cultural details. But the worst thing about all he has to say, is his fixation on telling the history of our country as a single minded narrative of racism. A story of something so sweeping as Jazz shouldn't be reduced to a cheerless story of victims, It's about music, man! Because blacks are involved, he gets to weep about all the injustices of the past, ignoring that huge numbers of Black musicians were stunningly successful for the last hundred years.
    As far as baseball is concerned, enough about the lost, lamented Negro League! The overcoverage of what was actually a pretty motley minor league isn't warranted except that it helps rewrite history for impressionable young minds, and of course feeds Burns's obsession with showing what a good, guilty liberal he is.
    Edited on 03/22/2006 9:42am

ymike673

[70]Mar 22, 2006
    There are quite a few errors in "Baseball" and it seemed that Ken believed that Jackie Robinson's entry into the major leagues in 1947 had to be mentioned at least 10 times in every episode. As important an event as that was it was not the single most important event in baseball history. And he barely mentions Larry Dolby who was the first negro in the American league and had it just as hard as Jackie did.
    Edited on 07/12/2006 4:11am

billsav57

[71]Mar 22, 2006
    I'm not breaking any new ground here, but one of the really irritating things about "Baseball" was the constant presence of the likes of Mario Cuomo, Stephen Jay Gould (RIP) and Doris Kearns Goodwin, who have about as much to do with baseball (although Cuomo made it sound as if he would have been the next DiMaggio if he'd taken that path) as, well, Bennett Cerf does.
    Edited on 03/23/2006 1:16pm

lovewml

[72]Mar 22, 2006
    The1Factotum1i1 wrote:

As far as baseball is concerned, enough about the lost, lamented Negro League! The overcoverage of what was actually a pretty motley minor league isn't warranted except that it helps rewrite history for impressionable young minds, and of course feeds Burns's obsession with showing what a good, guilty liberal he is.

I actually thought it was quite commendable how he incorporated the history of the negro leagues with that of the white segregated major leagues. As everyone knows, blacks weren't allowed in the majors and therefore little is known about the black players of that era. Would Josh Gibson have out hit Babe Ruth in the majors? It's quite possible. Some fascinating stories are revealed by Buck O'Neil, who takes an unbiased position on Negro League players and those in the majors. There's a certain balance of equality given to blacks and whites during the course of the series in an attempt to correct the unjust discrimination of MLB prior to 1947. Is that being liberal or just being fair and unbiased?

The1Factotum1i1

[73]Mar 24, 2006
    • level: 13

Edited on 03/26/2007 4:07pm

ymike673

[74]Mar 24, 2006
    The best thing about "Baseball" was seeing films of players of 1910's and 20's. I had never seen film of Walter Johnson and was suprised to see he was a sidearm pitcher. But as far as historical information there were too many errors. And while I did not mind a section on the Negro Leagues what I did mind was having the "race" question brought up in every episode like this was the most important issue in the entire history of the sport. And seeing the two civil war experts from Burn's other documentary trying to make points was just not needed.

lovewml

[75]Mar 24, 2006
    Hey I only mentioned the "Baseball" series as a reference to Bennett Cerf after seeing him briefly in Pt 7. I had no idea it would steamroll into a longwinded personal diatribe against Ken Burns. This is the Bennett Cerf forum. If you want to vent your anger against the guy as if you have some personal vendetta to chastise and discredit him, then why don't you create another forum specifically for that.

Yes, I know the series is not perfect. But I happen to enjoy it immensely for what it is. And I don't believe it is meant to be only about Major League Baseball, it is about baseball in general, played here in the US. There are a lot of omissions and it seems to spend the majority of it's time covering NY teams. And I wish more players had been interviewed instead of a bunch of writers, historians, anthropologists and pseudo-intellectuals. It also preaches too much about the aesthetic sanctity of the game. But there are some great things about it as well.

astorino

[76]Mar 20, 2007
    • level: 62

Subject: Bennett As Moderator

Some of you may not have seen the episode where Bennett moderated.

The part with Julie London as the mystery guest is currently on YouTube.com

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ug8YdXnFZTo