What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

BENNETT CERF Forum

Linneman

[81]May 25, 2007
    • level: 1

Today is the 109th anniversary of Bennett's birth. He died in 1971, at the age of 73.

With the death of Phyllis Cerf Wagner at 90 last November he's survived by his two sons, Jonathan and Christopher. 

Christopher Cerf is a composer and producer, perhaps best known for his association with the kid's shows Sesame Street and Betwen the Lions. Christopher has won multiple Emmys and Grammys.  He was one of the founders of National Lampoon and has published several humorous/satiric books.

Jonathan Cerf, who co-wrote Big Birds Red Book with his wife, was President of Harvard Lampoon, the progenitor of the National Lampoon.  In 1980 he was the first non-Japanese to win the World Othello Championship.  I've tried to play that game - I'm impressed.

They're both in their 60's.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TVGord

[83]May 27, 2007
    • level: 9

Linneman, thank you very much for your post!  The anniversary of the superlative Mr. Cerf's birth would have gone unnoticed by me had you not taken the time to post.  :-)

I am one of those "late to the party" WML fans, having only discovered it four years ago, when I got GSN for the first time.  Before that, WML was nothing more than a reference in an obscure Allan Sherman song (Al 'n' Yetta) to me.  (I wonder if you know it!) 

I am particularly interested in the information you posted about the Cerf sons.  I gave the book "Free To Be...A Family" (which he edited and to which he contibuted) to some friends of mine earlier this year, and it helped me discover his connections to Marlo Thomas and the Children's Television Workshop.  Now that you have added the tantalizing fact that he helped to create National Lampoon, I have a box of magazines that I will be pulling out of storage with a keen interest in finding out how many times he may have made me laugh without even knowing it.

Finally, I loved playing Othello when I was younger (though Scrabble is my all-time favorite game), and I chuckle whenever I think of it lately, because when I moved four years ago, I discovered that some pieces from my Othello game were missing.  After 3 1/2 years of looking at that incomplete game in my den, I decided at the end of last year to finally grit my teeth and throw away that ol' Othello game...and since the new year (as fate would have it), I have found--one at a time--each of the board pieces I had been missing.  Life is funny, isn't it?

Anyway, I just wanted to add my two cents, and to thank you again for making my day by taking the time to share your thoughts.  To me, that's what these message boards are all about.

Edited on 05/27/2007 1:08pm
    Edited 3 total times.

stopettearoma

[84]May 27, 2007
    • level: 3

Yes, these message boards help you find people with whom you have things in common.  It so happens I have worked at jobs that Chris Cerf's father knew about so many years ago.   I have counted whales for a living.  Bennett talks about that on a 1969 syndicated episode.   I have tied knots on the ends of frankfurters, which Arlene figured out in November of 1963 with a lot of help from Bennett.

I have a vintage Othello game set in a storage locker along with a first edition copy of Bennett's joke book "Riddle Dee Dee."   I never bought any of the controversial books he sold because I was afraid of reactions I might get in the workplace. 

Would anyone like to hear more about me ?   You can't send someone an e - mail message here unless you insert your e - mail address in a post.  Should I do that ?   Bennett's achievements in the Deep South seem to be off limits here, so maybe e - mails are out, too.

Edited on 05/27/2007 10:36pm

astorino

[86]Jun 7, 2008
    • level: 62
    Happy Belated 110th birthday, Bennett!

puzzlingpixie

[87]Jun 9, 2008
    • level: 12
    stopettearoma wrote:

Yes, these message boards help you find people with whom you have things in common.  It so happens I have worked at jobs that Chris Cerf's father knew about so many years ago.   I have counted whales for a living.  Bennett talks about that on a 1969 syndicated episode.   I have tied knots on the ends of frankfurters, which Arlene figured out in November of 1963 with a lot of help from Bennett.

I have a vintage Othello game set in a storage locker along with a first edition copy of Bennett's joke book "Riddle Dee Dee."   I never bought any of the controversial books he sold because I was afraid of reactions I might get in the workplace. 

Would anyone like to hear more about me ?   You can't send someone an e - mail message here unless you insert your e - mail address in a post.  Should I do that ?   Bennett's achievements in the Deep South seem to be off limits here, so maybe e - mails are out, too.

You always seem to have such amazing information that I know nothing about. I would love to hear anything about any of the panelists that I probably wouldn't normally find out.