CBS (ended 1967)

Betty Hutton Dies at 86, Get Ready for Another GSN Tribute

jimarnone

[1]Mar 13, 2007
    • level: 4

Betty Hutton

DoB: February 26, 1921; Battle Creek, MI
    DoD: March 11, 2007; Palm Springs, CA

Be prepared for GSN to spring another tribute and most likely another preempted WML? program in the next week or two. I wish they could just use the second 1/2 hour for such tributes or reschedule the preempted program for an upcoming week, but that doesn't seem to be their way.

Miss Hutton appeared twice on WML?:

WML 7-27 EPISODE #300 - 03/04/56 Betty Hutton

WML 9-40 EPISODE #417 - 06/01/58 Betty Hutton

The NY Times has a very interesting overview of her life in the obit for Miss Hutton:

Betty Hutton, Film Star of '40s and '50s, Dies at 86

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/13/movies/13cnd-hutton.html

Also, Turner C.lassic Movies will celebrate Hutton on Thursday by presenting three of her films:

12:30 p.m. "The Stork Club"

2:15 p.m. "The Perils of Pauline"

4 p.m. "The Greatest Show on Earth"

Best of all, TCM will repeat its priceless interview with Hutton and host Robert Osborne at 7 p.m.  Hutton sat for the chat on "Private Screenings" seven years ago.  TCM billed the TV appearance as Hutton's first in 20 years. (All times are EDT)

Edited on 03/14/2007 5:07am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ymike673

[2]Mar 14, 2007
    • level: 11
    GSN could also air the tribute on another night and prempt the umpteeth rerun of The Amazing Race. But of course GSN would rather just keep insulting what's left of their loyal WML viewers.

outoffog

[3]Mar 15, 2007
    • level: 16

Unfortuneately, 'ymike', GSN management doesn't really care about Betty Hutton or "classic" game shows. They have a contract to repeat "THE AMAZING RACE" overnight, and they have to honor that commitment or lose money on the deal. Never mind they've lost a lot of loyal viewers along the way. Betty seemed to be just as headstrong- her demands (and insecurities) cost her a movie and potential TV career {remember "THE BETTY HUTTON SHOW"?}. She could never handle her own affairs- professional AND personal- and that just about cost her everything towards the end of her life.

ymike673

[4]Mar 15, 2007
    Then just don't have a tribute. At one WML episode a week any premption now means we will never see the skipped episode. (Unless you think GSN will still be airing WML in 15 years!). 

jimarnone

[5]Mar 15, 2007
    • level: 4
    They just might skip doing a tribute for Betty Hutton. As of today (Thursday), there have been no press announcements from GSN regarding a tribute for her.

Just finished watching Robert Osborn's interview with her in 2000. It was a truly excellent interview. I hope they show more of her movies in the near future. That would be a much better tribute to Betty than a 5 minute WML? mystery guest segment.

Edited on 03/15/2007 5:36pm

ymike673

[6]Mar 15, 2007
    You are so right. And I believe one of Betty's WML appearances lasted just 2 minutes!

stopettearoma

[7]Mar 17, 2007
    • level: 3

Did a What's My Line participant have to make movies in order to get saluted on two cable channels shortly after death?

Suppose something happens to either Peter, Paul or Mary.  Will GSN repeat the 1963 episode on which John Daly seems to approve of the 12,000 people who attended a recent Peter, Paul & Mary concert ?

Or can we assume that John was being phony ?  Can we assume that he, like some What's My Line fans today, consider the three singers to be some of the hairy hippies who ruined the Golden Age of Hollywood that featured Betty Hutton ?

I won't start a separate thread about Peter, Paul & Mary because we all know that Turner Classic Movies can't salute them, and we know they didn't sing for John Daly or the panelists.

ymike673

[8]Mar 17, 2007
    Since WML only airs once a week I am against ANY TRIBUTES since the skipped episode will probably never be aired again. Unless you think GSN will continue to air WML for another 15 years!