What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

Breadbox maker

woundedwindow

[1]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 10
    Does anybody know the episode number in where there is a breadbox maker? I have been trying to show it to my mother for a while. In the episode Steve Allen is a guest panalist and he first asks if it's bigger/smaller than a breadbox, and a little while later while looking quite confused he asks the oppisite. Thank you much, it would be a big help!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

puzzlingpixie

[2]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 12
    That's Episode #797. First Aired January 2, 1966.

woundedwindow

[3]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 10
    Oh thank you so much. I love Steve Allen, that's why I get so mad when they call Jack Paar the first host of the Tonight Show. I can't wait to see this episode again, and I know I'll have to wait a while but that's OK, it's not like I have a choice. I wish GSN would be more cooperative. I guess I will have to record it some how the next time it comes on. I do have a second question though, does anyone know why GSN doesn't/can't play the episodes that are in color, in color(the episodes from 66-67 are played in black and white on GSN?)

W-B

[4]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 39
    woundedwindow wrote:
    Oh thank you so much. I love Steve Allen, that's why I get so mad when they call Jack Paar the first host of the Tonight Show. I can't wait to see this episode again, and I know I'll have to wait a while but that's OK, it's not like I have a choice. I wish GSN would be more cooperative. I guess I will have to record it some how the next time it comes on. I do have a second question though, does anyone know why GSN doesn't/can't play the episodes that are in color, in color(the episodes from 66-67 are played in black and white on GSN?)

Short answer: Executive producer Gil Fates opted to preserve all the G-T shows he helmed - not just WML?, but also the nighttime version of To Tell the Truth and I've Got a Secret - in black-and-white kinescope form, for reasons that can be summed up thus: C-H-E-A-P. (As to the unfounded rumor that the final EPISODE #876 also exists as a color videotape, I suppose we'll have to wait for the first "official" WML? DVD release from BCI, which has a deal with FremantleMedia.) That post-1965 episodes of the daytime TTTT that still exist are in VT form, may be attributable to such version having a different producer (Bruno Zirato, Jr.) from the nighttime TTTT.

astorino

[5]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 62

woundedwindow wrote:
    Does anybody know the episode number in where there is a breadbox maker?

There were several episodes that had lines related to breadboxes. Steve Allen was a panelist on all of these episodes.

Suzanne

Here's the list from my notes:

EPISODE #176 of October 11, 1953
    Panel: Dorothy Kilgallen, Steve Allen, Arlene Francis, Bennett Cerf.
    Game 4: Fred Burg - "Makes Breadboxes"

EPISODE #469 of June 21, 1959
    Panel: Arlene Francis, Steve Allen, Jayne Meadows, Bennett Cerf.
    Game 4: Miss Gloria Kates - "Designs Breadboxes"

EPISODE #797 of January 2, 1966
    Panel: Steve Allen, Martin Gabel, Arlene Francis, Bennett Cerf.
    Game 1: Mrs. Mary McLung "Makes Bread Boxes"

astorino

[6]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 62

woundedwindow wrote:
    does anyone know why GSN doesn't/can't play the episodes that are in color, in color (the episodes from 66-67 are played in black and white on GSN?)

And for the long story, there is much more reading available on the guide to this episode below. You'll have to click "All Episode Notes" since the notes spill over to the second page.

Suzanne

EPISODE #830 of September 11, 1966

NOW IN COLOR (FOR THE ORIGINAL BROADCAST).

COPIES ONLY EXIST IN BLACK AND WHITE KINESCOPE.