What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

DOROTHY KILGALLEN Forum

ymike673

[41]Dec 11, 2005
    • level: 11
    Yes, I caught it also. Since it will only be a few weeks until Casey is let go as Yankees' manager I would guess Dorothy will stop asking this question very shortly.
    Edited on 07/12/2006 3:50am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

W-B

[44]Dec 12, 2005
    • level: 39
    It would seem her asking if someone was a dentist during this period, appeared to foreshadow her asking if anyone lost a notebook or datebook or whatever in Greece, within the last year of her life.

lovewml

[45]Dec 12, 2005
    • level: 3
    I wonder why she's anticipating Casey to appear as MG. He will be MG in April '62 I.I.N.M. She seems to be a little out of it lately and looks rather tired and her face rather bloated. I think her nightlife is beginning to catch up with her.

billsav57

[46]Dec 12, 2005
    Based on what Red Skelton said, she was beginning to look a bit silly with the dentist question even then, and they weren't hearing it night after night.

billsav57

[48]Dec 13, 2005
    I guess anybody who saw Dorothy on Monday mornings, after she did WML and then went out afterwards, could probably tell you if she was obviously slipping at that time. My guess is that it wasn't that obvious, and that there aren't many people around to remember.
    I wonder what time she got started on those mornings. If she was doing the radio show, then it would be fairly early.
    Her paper probably had a pretty early morning first deadline, but I'm sure her stuff was done in advance. I doubt she did her columns on deadline.

wieniekilgallen

[51]Dec 14, 2005

Linneman wrote:
    Dorothy has been asking mystery guests recently if they've had training in dentistry. Clearly she's expecting Casey Stengel, the longtime manager of the Yankees and later Mets, to be on the show. He trained as a dentist back in Kansas City.

Just a thought here, but there was a dentist turned professional golfer who dominated the tournaments during the 50s and early 60s. His name was Dr. Cary Middlecoff, and I think that this might be the dentist that Dorothy was expecting to show up on WML. He also appeared in a few movies, most notably playing himself in Jerry Lewis's "Bellboy" (1960) which also starred Milton Berle. Perhaps Dorothy knew that Middlecoff was in NYC around this time, doing promo for the movie or in a golf tournament in the area. Middlecoff was also spokesman for many corporations and had some lucrative endorsement contracts that made him a familiar face in magazine ads. Later on in his career, he worked for many years for CBS as a golf commentator.

Edited on 07/12/2006 3:52am

billsav57

[52]Dec 14, 2005
    I've worked at newspapers for 25 years, but alas, not in 1960, when I might have had a little problem making deadline myself, as I was 3 years old.
    So I'm sorry I'm not an expert in the workings of 1960 newspapers in the big city. But then again, I never said I was.
    I also never said Dorothy only wrote columns. She's introduced as a columnist on WML, and there's no doubt she was one. But I realize she did other stories.
    If she worked for an afternoon paper, the absolute drop-dead deadlines for the paper would have been anywhere from, say, 8 a.m. until the early afternoon.
    Those were the deadlines to which I was referring.
    Of course Dorothy wrote "on deadline." But I was referring to the above deadlines, not to whatever deadline the desk gave her to get her copy in.
    At a morning newspaper today (as much a dinosaur now as an afternoon paper would be by the late 1960s or so), there are all sorts of deadlines. A columnist might have to have his or her stuff days in advance. Some might have a 5 p.m. deadline. Sometimes, especially on a Friday or Saturday night, all our front page stories are in by 7 p.m., but the page deadline is a few hours later.
    With numerous computer systems at our disposal, somebody still has to edit stories and columns, write headlines, paginate pages, etc.
    Considering Dorothy worked in a literal cut-and-paste era, when stuff had to be linotyped and so forth, it's not a stretch to imagine that she had her columns done pretty well in advance.
    I doubt she made a habit of being in there banging out that day's column at 8 or 9 in the morning.
    But if she was at whatever her hangout (such as Winchell at the Stork Club) late at night and came upon something, I'm sure she was able to adapt. Perhaps she called in and said "get me rewrite" or some similar phrase.
    I was just trying to say that perhaps Dorothy didn't always show up to work at 7 or 8 in the morning. Why should she?

Fat-tote-bag

[53]Dec 14, 2005
    • level: 1

billsav57 wrote:
    Why should she?

Because she worked out of her house, dropping by her newspaper's notorious fire hazard of a building once a year or so. Yes, she did write the column on deadline every day. A delivery person picked up the copy from a box in front of house. Supposedly that happened at approximately 2:00 a.m. on the Monday morning that she died. Source: her obit in that newspaper.

Edited on 07/12/2006 3:57am

ClassicTV

[54]Dec 25, 2005
    • level: 2
    On the website

http://www.freewebs.com/kilgallen

there are links to 1961 audio clips of Dorothy Kilgallen giving short essays about Cary Grant, Arlene Francis, and others. She has nothing but complimentary things to say about her subjects.

There is also a not-yet-active link to a video clip of Miss Kilgallen at the Stork Club, and a New Year's Day card where Dorothy and her husband wish all a Happy 1950.

There are links to reprints of her columns, and also magazine stories that she wrote for Cosmopolitan and Photoplay, like 1944's "The Stars I'd Like To Be Married To (If I Weren't Already Mrs. Richard Kollmar)".

In the future, the website apparently will offer some of her short stories in downloadable 'pdf' novelettes and e-books.

astorino

[55]Dec 26, 2005
    • level: 62
    ClassicTV wrote:
    On the website
    http://www.freewebs.com/kilgallen ...

Hi. Actually, this is an old website that was started in 2003 by (member name) Faustine (aka Lisa) when we were back at TV Tome. All of the links used to work, but when she moved from one free web site to another, many of the links became invalid. Nothing has been done, maintenance wise, on the site for years. I doubt she'll be working on it again, so enjoy what is there now but don't look for future refinements. She had a similar page for Henry Morgan.

billsav57

[56]Dec 27, 2005
    So, did Dorothy go in the office less than Winchell did? And did she ever show up at the Stork Club when he was there? Was there ever a scene?

W-B

[57]Dec 29, 2005
    • level: 39
    Watching these last few shows, a few things stand out:
    1) Dorothy's "illness." It had been noted that she became "incapacitated" (read: her substance abuse had caught up with her) whilst covering the Kennedy inauguration. It may be only coincidence, but it's interesting in that context that Dolly Mae's ex-friend - turned - bitter enemy, Frank Sinatra, was the organizer of the inaugural gala.
    2) Seeing Miss Kilgallen's mystery guest spot, when I heard her say, "I was ill, but I'm recovered now," I was reminded, in light of her subsequent history (not just in the next couple weeks in original 1961 time, but her subsequent 1963 hospital stay), of a segment of a routine called "The Lone Analyst" that aired on Stan Freberg's short-lived 1957 CBS Radio show, in which the lead character (a Freberg envisioning of "what if The Lone Ranger became a psychiatrist?") was psychoanalyzing an old man who thought he was a Great Dane. After he was "cured," the patient turned to his wife, insisted, "I'm well! I'm well!", and when she asked "You are?", his reply was "Sure. Feel my nose!"

billsav57

[58]Dec 30, 2005
    Regarding Dorothy's shaking as she was serving as mystery guest ... I'm inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt that it was just nerves, but John Daly went so much out of his way to explain it that I have to wonder, at least a bit.

astorino

[59]Feb 7, 2006
    • level: 62
    At long last, we know the "unfortunate soul" who lost his address book out of a helicopter over Greece was Tony Perkins. Actually, our member Dan Albertson had surmised this many months ago. On the Bob Hope episode yesterday, Dan was shown to be correct.

bahn1225

[60]Mar 19, 2006
    • level: 1
    I have never posted on this forum although I'm a huge fan of WML on GSN and I usually enjoy the episode observations that are posted here.

However I do feel that contributers are finding an almost perverse pleasure commenting on Dorothy's condition.
    I realize that alcoholism is very rare and that many people may have never even heard of it.
    But to harp on it continually
    (Dorothy hesitated, Dorothy looked confused, Dorothy blinked, etc.)
    is in extremely bad taste and detracts from the other comments made by the observer.