What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

DOROTHY KILGALLEN Forum

stopettearoma

[102]Sep 2, 2007
    • level: 3

Only two people have made money speculating on Dorothy Kilgallen's death: biographer Lee Israel and Sara Jordan, author of the Midwest Today article that John Oshea evidently read.

Israel and Jordan are sane compared to the people who have made money speculating about two people who had many connections to What's My Line guests though they themselves never appeared: Marilyn Monroe and Janis Joplin. Both of those ladies died from substance abuse despite what any conspiracy theorist says. Ms. Joplin's personal problems have been verified by Alistair Cooke, who knew her personally even though he was clean and sober. His son John Cooke was the person who found Ms. Joplin's body in her motel room. She was clutching four dollars and fifty cents in one of her hands.

Police quickly learned why she was clutching it when they questioned the motel desk clerk. He explained that he had changed a five-dollar bill for Ms. Joplin so she would have fifty cents to buy a pack of cigarettes from the cigarette machine that was a few feet away from the desk. That she never let go of her four dollars and fifty cents established that she was dying from her dose of heroin while she chatted with the desk clerk -- about an intelligent topic? The use of dynamite in coal mines? Oswald? No, Ms. Joplin simply bragged about the music she was recording during her stay in Los Angeles, and you can do that while you're stoned. I don't believe the desk clerk was part of a conspiracy, and I don't believe Alistair Cooke was, either.

I enjoyed "Omnibus" and his much-later PBS series. It's amazing that such a smart man could have a son who was dumb enough to say that because Ms. Joplin clutched four dollars and fifty cents in her hand at the moment of her death, that means "she was a good businesswoman to the end." (Source: a Joplin biography by Ellis Amburn) Oh well, all you have is yourself. You can be an excellent parent but you don't know what stupid things your son or daughter could be doing when you're not there.

Edited on 04/17/2008 10:36pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

puzzlingpixie

[115]Mar 31, 2008
    • level: 12
    What did Dorothy write about John, and what gossip about her was he not going to comment on? I'm confused.
    Edited on 04/18/2008 12:19am

astorino

[116]Apr 2, 2008
    • level: 62

The Dorothy and John incident is here on the notes to EPISODE #364 of May 26, 1957

http://www.tv.com/whats-my-line/episode-364/episode/95750/summary.html

Suzanne

Edited on 04/18/2008 12:20am

puzzlingpixie

[117]Apr 2, 2008
    Whoa, thanks. That helps clear up so much. That must have been a chilly six months.

I've wondered, what happened that Dorothy Kilgallen and Frank Sinatra started feuding? Weren't they friends at one point?

astorino

[118]Apr 4, 2008
    • level: 62

puzzlingpixie wrote:
    I've wondered, what happened that Dorothy Kilgallen and Frank Sinatra started feuding? Weren't they friends at one point?

Things went sour between the two when Dorothy surmised in her newspaper column that Frank had "mob" connections. Then, Frank started making fun of Dorothy in his stand-up comedy routines. Things went downhill from there, unfortunately.

stopettearoma

[119]Apr 5, 2008
    • level: 3

We don't know that Dorothy Kilgallen said anything about Sinatra's mob connnections in her newspaper. Wikipedia and other web sites claim that she did this, but they don't cite any dates or page numbers from the newspaper. They don't quote her directly. You can search this web site

www.newspaperarchive.com

to see if any claims Kilgallen might have made about Sinatra/mafia ever got in her syndicated outlets in Galveston, Texas, Lowell, Massachusetts and a few other small cities. Each newspaper editor could do what he wanted with her copy. If those small newspapers didn't print such a thing, then you can read the microfilmed New York Journal American in New York or DC. That was her main newspaper. If it didn't print Sinatra/mafia, then she never wrote it.

We know the date of her John Daly/Mike Wallace story: Monday, May 27, 1957. That would be easy to find in New York or DC because you know the date. I've seen it. The Journal American has no index, so you would have to read every day for years to see what, if anything, she wrote about Sinatra/mafia. Sinatra could have sued the Journal American for libel, so it's possible that those web sites are wrong. The reason he sued Kitty Kelley but withdrew the suit is that her book came out many decades later, and by that time the Nevada Gaming Commission had investigated him. Kelley had many documents to work with.

Interesting, isn't it, that nobody ever says which words Kilgallen used to say that Sinatra was mobbed up ? She was known for her unique choice of words. Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

Edited on 04/06/2008 9:07pm
    Edited 2 total times.

puzzlingpixie

[120]Apr 13, 2008
    I've found that some people refer to Dorothy, as Dolly Mae (as yes, I know Mae was her middle name). I was wondering, was this in any way common? Were the people that were close to her use that as a nickname for her, or has it become a nickname for her over the years that people now use to refer back to her?