What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

Dorothy Killgallen meltdown

Twowaditty

[1]Jan 10, 2008
    • level: 3

Does anyone know which episode Dorothy Killgallen was introducing Bennett Cerf and was unable to pronounce the towns he was visting and pretended to sneeze? She seemed to be having a minor meltdown during theintroduction.I don't recall seeing that episode on GSN but managed to find a piece of it on YouTube. Thanks.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

W-B

[2]Jan 10, 2008
    • level: 39
    That infamous moment originated from EPISODE #637 of November 4, 1962 - which first aired three years and four days before Miss Kilgallen's death.
    Edited on 01/10/2008 11:04am

Twowaditty

[3]Jan 10, 2008
    • level: 3
    Thank you

joshea98

[5]Jan 14, 2008
    • level: 1

When you consider the entire collection of WML episodes, which are now a part of television history, I can well understand you calling that episode "infamous," W-B. But, originally, few,if any, people questioned DK's many slips of the tongue during the years she appeared on WML. In all honesty, most of us tuned in to see the program itself and not whether DK might, again, show signs of inebriation. At the time, even MAD magazine's naming of DK as "Dorothy Kilfifth" didn't make much sense to me. Today, however, repeated viewings of those episodes make so many things far more obvious than back when viewers saw each program only once.

John

KommissarX

[7]Jan 20, 2008
    • level: 6
    Twowaditty, Dorothy's behavior on the 1962 show was nothing short of a meltdown on "live" TV, despite some people who have tried to downplay it on here. I do agree it wasn't really infamous at the time because out of respect for Dorothy, the press ignored it instead of embarrassing her, much like the press ignored the private actions of JFK during the same time period. Dorothy's behavior was a direct effect of her drug use and some have even suggested it was a seizure which could be true. Her excuse of a sneeze was the best defense she could come up with. But like some have said, we are viewing it today differently than those did in 1962. We now know she had a drug problem and died an early and mysterious death, something few people knew outside the WML inner circle. You'll notice Buddy Hacket introduced Dorothy as a "pretty wild girl" right before her meltdown. Likely a coincidence and possibly said as an inside joke that was a little too revealing since Buddy or no one else expected Dorothy to behave like that on this occasion.
    Edited on 01/20/2008 10:34pm

joshea98

[8]Jan 28, 2008
    • level: 1

You're absolutely right, Kommissar. So much more about the WML cast is known today than it was back then.

John