What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

FRED ALLEN Forum

billsav57

[61]Feb 1, 2006
    • level: 3
    That would make sense about "Bachelor Father" airing in New York. I got that from Edwin Newman's introduction of the NBC broadcasts from Nov. 22, 1963, which A&E first aired in the mid 1980s.
    A lot of people recall that CBS broke into a soap opera -- "As The World Turns," I believe -- to make the JFK announcement. I think that's because the Cronkite bulletin has been shown so often, plus CBS released a video about it in the early 1980s.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

The1Factotum1i1

[62]Feb 7, 2006
    • level: 13
    It was sheer luck for CBS to have a network offering being taped at the time they broke in with the first bulletin. If Bachelor Father reruns were indeed on the NBC network feed, it was on film, and therefore no need to tape or kinescope it. I ought to dig up my New York City TV Guide of that day. It might say what episode was being played. I suppose that would be the most trivial of all JFK assasination trivia.
    Edited on 02/07/2006 9:59am

billsav57

[63]Feb 7, 2006
    I'm just going by what Edwin Newman said on A&E. I believe he's still alive.

The1Factotum1i1

[64]Feb 7, 2006
    I'm dead certain he's right, I mean, it's the easiest thing in the world to look up, any new york newspaper on microfilm had the day's TV listings. But I wonder which BF was cut off? Boy that's one show that's been out of syndication about thirty years.

Linneman

[65]Mar 15, 2006
    • level: 1
    Fred Allen (John Florence Sullivan), 31 May 1894 - March 17, 1956.

Friday will be the 50th anniversary of Fred's death at the aqe of 61. He died of a massive heart attack while taking a walk on a snowy evening.

The association with St. Patrick's Day seems somehow appropriate for someone who was so Boston Irish.

wieniekilgallen

[66]Mar 16, 2006
    Just for fun, here is a partial listing of CBS, NBC, and ABC daytime (M-F) shows broadcast 11 AM to 3:30 PM, during November, 1963 (courtesy of The Schedule Book).

11 AM
    ABC- The Price is Right
    CBS- The McCoys
    NBC- Concentration

11:30 AM
    ABC- Seven Keys
    CBS- Pete and Gladys
    NBC- Missing Links

12:00 PM
    ABC- Tennessee Ernie Ford Show
    CBS- Love of Life (and News at 12:25 PM)
    NBC- Your First Impression

12:30 PM
    ABC- Father Knows Best
    CBS- Search for Tomorrow (12:45 PM Guiding Light)
    NBC- Truth or Consequences (and News at 12:55 PM)

1:00 PM
    ABC- General Hospital
    CBS- Sunrise Semester
    NBC- Local Programming

1:30 PM
    ABC- Local Programming
    CBS- As the World Turns
    NBC- Local Programming

2:00 PM
    ABC- Local Programming
    CBS- Password
    NBC- People Will Talk (and News at 2:25 PM)

2:30 PM
    ABC- Day in Court (and News at 2:55 PM)
    CBS- Art Linkletter's House Party
    NBC- The Doctors

3:00 PM
    ABC- Queen for a Day
    CBS- To Tell the Truth (News at 3:25 PM)
    NBC- Loretta Young Theater

Yikes! What memories!

ymike673

[67]Mar 16, 2006
    • level: 11
    I remember Truth or Consequences. Hosted by Bob Barker years before "The Price Is Right".
    Edited on 07/10/2006 10:51pm

outoffog

[68]Mar 28, 2006
    • level: 16
    Actually, 'wieniekilgallen', "SUNRISE SEMESTER" was telecast on most CBS outlets between 6 and 8am(et)- very few of their affiliates carried it at 1pm(et)....usually, that time was taken by those stations for local and syndicated programming (and reruns of old network sitcoms as well). And, of course, NBC and ABC were "down" (no national programs scheduled) at the time Kennedy was shot [WNBC in New York did indeed show "BACHELOR FATHER" locally, as WABC was presenting "THE ANN SOTHERN SHOW" at the same time], so they had to scramble to alert their affiliates to carry the special bulletins and coverage that followed. Douglas Edwards usually handled the 3:25 newscast that followed "TO TELL THE TRUTH"...Edwin Newman, I believe, handled the 12:55 NBC News broadcast.

billsav57

[69]Mar 28, 2006
    "Bachelor Father" was done on film, which obviously helped it into syndication. I can't remember a time during the 1960s when it wasn't on in reruns at some time, usually during the afternoon.

ymike673

[70]Mar 29, 2006
    billsav57 wrote:
    "Bachelor Father" was done on film, which obviously helped it into syndication. I can't remember a time during the 1960s when it wasn't on in reruns at some time, usually during the afternoon.

In the 60's local stations did not feel the need to program 2-3 hours of local news in the afternnon. This allowed a lot more time for reruns of shows as well as films. Both channels 4 and 7 in NY used to have an afternoon movie from 4:30 to 6 PM every weekday.

The1Factotum1i1

[71]Mar 29, 2006
    Every station showed movies and had a film library, including shorts and cartoons, and syndicated filmed TV shows, all on 16mm. But only the poorest station has any use for movies today. For that matter, outside of news programming, very few stations have locally produced anything.
    Edited on 07/10/2006 10:52pm

outoffog

[72]Mar 29, 2006
    Actually, network daytime TV schedules in late 1963 stretched all the way to 5pm(et). ABC scheduled repeats of "WAGON TRAIN" [as "MAJOR ADAMS-TRAILMASTER"-- the 1957-'60 Ward Bond episodes] at 4pm after "AMERICAN BANDSTAND" had moved to Saturday afternoons at 1:30. CBS was presenting the "LEE PHILLIP SHOW" from Chicago (she was a
    talk/interview "hostess"...later married William Bell and co-produced "THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS" with him), but WCBS-TV in New York replaced it with a sitcom repeat (I forget which one) and then ran "THE EARLY SHOW" at 5 (their local movie). NBC, I believe, was running "THE DANNY THOMAS SHOW" repeats from '57-'60 [as "MAKE ROOM FOR DADDY"] at 4:30, after which WNBC in New York started their local "MOVIE 4" at 5. It wasn't until the fall of 1965 that Channels 2 and 4 started showing their late afternoon movies against each other at 4:30. By that time, ABC was showing "WHERE THE ACTION IS" at 4:30(et), followed in New York by Channel 7's "THE BIG NEWS", with Bill Beutel and Murphy Martin, and ABC's "PETER JENNINGS WITH THE NEWS" at 5:45. WABC-TV's local movie started at 6, running to 7:30.

And that's enough of that!

Marie222

[73]May 24, 2006
    • level: 4

TIVO alert: Fred Allen appearing in 'O. Henry's Full House' on AMC June 2nd at 6am PST.

outoffog

[74]May 25, 2006

That was just about the last movie Allen ever appeared in. I believe he was tired of Hollywood, and spent the rest of his life in New York, concentrating on television and writing. 

I hope you like commercials and promos interrupting the movie, because that's what AMC does to make money, and you'll see PLENTY of them! {They USED to present their movies commercial-free, as TCM does now, but around 2001, that changed...for the worse. :p}

The1Factotum1i1

[75]May 26, 2006

Not only that, but they no longer have any interest in showing anything the least bit esoteric. There was a time where unusual or super rare films made their video debuts on AMC, for instance "SOUP TO NUTS"(Fox 1930), or SALUTE (Fox 1929). They'd show silent films. They had a "Preservation Week" every year where "found" (as opposed to "Lost) films would be aired. They showed short subjects, old cartoons and serials every week.

Back about 1980, pay TV became popular. "THE MOVIE CHANNEL" and "HOME BOX OFFICE" could be found practically everywhere. They were showing recent movies on TV for the first time. The drawback was, they'd offer four or five titles and endlessly repeat them day in and day out for a month. A satire of a pay TV schedule in National Lampoon featured "RIO LOBO" listed a hundred times,differently misspelled, to break up the monotony.

But pay TV, and cable itself was the way of the future. No more would we have to watch a film on channel 123, in a bleary, worn out print, doled out in chunks amidst 123 commercials and station promos. Now we were going to see our flicks the way nature intended- sharp focus and scratchless, uninterrupted throughout.

Well maybe in the interests of nostalgia, pining for what had once been, AMC has not only brought back all the ads that dismember a film, but also the incredibly shrunken play list. Do they run the same movie every other night? Seems like it! And only pop junk of the last 30 years, with a special dispensation for John Wayne. So, welcome to RIO LOBO!

ymike673

[76]May 26, 2006
    At least Turner Classic movies and to a lesser extant Fox Movie channel still air classic films uncut and uninterrupted. And TCM airs programs of shorts and silent films.

The1Factotum1i1

[77]May 26, 2006
    Yes, TCM does have a habit of running some favourites into the ground, like KING KONG and CITIZEN KANE, but at least they're on once a month instead of a month run on them. TCM does have some important things to do with movie history, for instance, last week they had four silent films, including one that only partially exists, of Rudolph Valentino titles which have never been seen on TV. After 80 odd years, it's about time!

ClassicTV

[78]May 26, 2006
    • level: 2

There was a news item on one of the broadcasting/cable industry news internet sites earlier this week that indicated that TCM will partially follow in AMC's footsteps this October by trying to attract the same twenty-something audience that practically every other cable channel caters to.  TCM will start airing some Friday night cult movies with a different host to introduce them, and launch its first original series where young people interview their movie idols.

So enjoy the current TCM while you can, changes are coming. 

Besides no commercials, the "one-reel wonders", and the 1920s through 1960s films, I like this cable network because it is the only one that doesn't have an annoying logo in the corner of the screen 24/7.  The "TCM" logo only appears during the one-reelers, and very sparingly for a few seconds during a movie.  This cable channel is truly a class act.      

Fat-tote-bag

[79]May 26, 2006
    • level: 1

The1Factotum1i1 wrote:
    Yes, TCM does have a habit of running some favourites into the ground, like KING KONG and CITIZEN KANE, but at least they're on once a month instead of a month run on them. TCM does have some important things to do with movie history, for instance, last week they had four silent films, including one that only partially exists, of Rudolph Valentino titles which have never been seen on TV. After 80 odd years, it's about time!

TCM makes the right decision when it runs King Kong and Citizen Kane "into the ground." Earlier this month the channel showed the 1930s Bette Davis vehicle Missing Persons Bureau. The next day it showed a 1983 interview with Ms. Davis in which she says the screenplay of that film sucked. The inferiority was one of the reasons she reneged on her contract with Warner Brothers. They agreed to offer her better screenplays, and they did : Jezebel, Dark Victory, Now, Voyager, Watch On The Rhine, etc.

If TCM wants to give more exposure to Citizen Kane than to Missing Persons Bureau, go for it. Bette Davis says at least one of her films sucks. I'll go along with that.

outoffog

[80]May 30, 2006

I have news for you, 'classic tv' (if you haven't noticed already)....the fact that "neophyte" Ben Mankiewicz is hosting TCM's Saturday afternoon movie schedule [and "CARTOON ALLEY" before that- why not someone like Jerry Beck, who KNOWS about classic animation??] is proof that they desperately want "younger" audiences to tune in. His turns are just a small sampling of what's to come; the promos they're running are further "storm warnings".