What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

Game Show Documentary on Bio Channel

astorino

[1]Jan 20, 2007
    • level: 62

There is a 2-hour special on "TV GAME SHOWS" coming up.

Bio Channel description: "History of game shows on television."

It's set to be aired 4 times.

Date: Monday January 22, 2007

When: 6 PM PST to 8 PM PST
    and
    10 PM to midnight PST

Where: The Biography Channel

It will repeat twice on January 26, 2007 - 6:00 AM PST, 12:00 PM PST

Check your listings and adjust for time zones.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

agent_0042

[2]Jan 21, 2007
    • level: 66
    Hmm. I was considering passing on it, but since others here may be watching, I think I'll go ahead and tape / watch it.

BTW, has anyone been watching the recent GSN specials? They had a great special tonight about Millionaire and they have another next Sunday night about great females in game shows. I'm also pleased that GSN has started airing repeats of Maury Povich's Twenty One again. It's underappreciated.

P.S.: For those that get Dish Network but don't subscribe to America's Top 180, you can still get this. Tune to the channel you would normally visit to find CourtTV. Dish Network has dropped CourtTV due to a contract / fee dispute and is airing the Biography Channel on that channel. It still says "Court" in the programming guide, but trust me, it's the Biography Channel.
    Edited on 01/21/2007 8:09pm

astorino

[3]Jan 22, 2007
    • level: 62

agent_0042 wrote:
    BTW, has anyone been watching the recent GSN specials? They had a great special tonight about Millionaire and they have another next Sunday night about great females in game shows.

Thanks for the tip to record and watch. The Millionaire special is set to play again and the Women special looks interesting, too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game Show Hall of Fame: Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?

The show's induction into the Hall of Fame includes a look at its history.

Jan 23: 9:00PM EST

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Women Who Changed Game Shows 

Women, including Betty White, Arlene Francis, Dr. Joyce Brothers, Anne Robinson, Meredith Vieira and Vanna White, make their mark in game show history. Vicki Lawrence hosts.

Jan 28: 8:00PM, 11:00PM EST
    Jan 30: 9:00PM EST

agent_0042

[4]Jan 24, 2007
    It was decent, but I've seen some of it before. Also, for a two-hour with commercials documentary, it seemed like they glossed over some stuff that should have been given more time.

jimarnone

[5]Jan 24, 2007
    • level: 4
    agent_0042 wrote:
    It was decent, but I've seen some of it before. Also, for a two-hour with commercials documentary, it seemed like they glossed over some stuff that should have been given more time.

I agree.

Particularly disappointing was John Daly's name never being mentioned when they were running down the list of game show hosts. John Daly did this job to perfection for 17 years. At least a passing comment should have been inserted, if not a clip of one of his lengthy explanations that was entirely correct, but totally confusing and amusing.

No was ever his equal. Like a pro, he made the job look easy.

agent_0042

[6]Jan 28, 2007
    Yeah, more coverage should definitely have been given to John Daly. And, you know, I didn't like the way they glossed over Press Your Luck either. That was a popular show and a long-time favorite and they barely mentioned it. I mean, I understand it's two hours and certain stuff has to go, but it definitely could have been edited / put together better.

Oh, BTW, The Women Who Changed Game Shows was a great special and it had some What's My Line? stuff in it. One thing I did note though was that they seemed to talk quite a bit about Arlene Francis, but either didn't mention Dorothy Kilgallen or only glossed over her at best. That would be my main gripe.