What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

Garry Moore Era of To Tell the Truth

Sargebri

[1]Dec 19, 2006
    • level: 14

I really enjoyed watching To Tell the Truth from this past weekend.  It was the first time I saw a Garry Moore hosted episode, not counting highlights, in over 30 years.  Garry really looked as if he was having fun hosting that show and it was interesting seeing Kitty, Tom and Peggy as they looked in the early 1970's as opposed to how they looked in the 50's and 60's.  It was really fun seeing Peggy in sunglasses.  She really was fun and Kitty was as gracious as ever.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

W-B

[2]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 39

The funny thing about Mr. Moore's hosting the syndicated TTTT was how there was a bridge between that and the classic CBS I've Got a Secret - courtesy not only him, but also Bill Cullen who was a panelist on this newer version throughout (and also, substitute host on occasion).  So in a sense the on-air talent of two different shows were melded together.  (And not just Mr. Poston; on some shows Orson Bean also appeared.)

Another funny thing was how this TTTT outlasted the first syndie Beat the Clock (the one initially hosted by Jack Narz) which started out the same year as the new Truth.

I have to concur about the high entertainment value of this Truth, however, especially so far as Mr. Moore was concerned . . . I vaguely remember in my youth, associating him with this program, rather than his earlier accomplishments.

agent_0042

[3]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 66

Check out my post in the other thread for info about the theme song on this version and a link to a page with some excellent history info.

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=522060

P.S. --- I thought it was quite entertaining also.

Edited on 12/21/2006 3:54pm
    Edited 2 total times.

ClassicTV

[4]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 2
    Just out of curiosity (I only have local, over-the-air channels since July), did the "To Tell The Truth" that GSN just showed have the 1969 psychadelic set, or the later blue-background set?  Thanks for a reply.   
    Edited on 12/21/2006 2:16pm

astorino

[5]Dec 21, 2006
    • level: 62
    It had the "groovy" psychedelic set!

agent_0042

[6]Dec 26, 2006
    • level: 66
    I thought the Orville Redenbacher To Tell the Truth ep was very interesting. I recognized Redenbacher immediately and I bet everyone here watching did too, but back then, none of them had a clue who he was. Nor did they have any idea he would go on to become a nationally (internationally?) recognized brand-name. He stumped the panel.

TVGord

[7]Dec 26, 2006
    • level: 9

Agent_0042, I enjoyed that aspect of the Orville Redenbacher appearance, too.  :-)

Coincidentally, today I was just watching a tape of the WML? that aired right after Fred Allen died, and there were a couple of similarly remarkable things about this edition of the show.  The second guest was Mrs. Jules Lederer, who was revealed to be an "advice to the lovelorn" columnist, who would go on to become famous as Ann Landers, but no one knew her then.  In fact, her "Ann Landers" pseudonym was never used on the show.

The first guest was Montreal Canadiens goalie, Jacques Plante, who was unknown to the panel, but up here in Canada was as well-known as, say Hank Aaron or Joe Namath. 

It's fun to watch this edition of WML? especially, because here's a case where these are two people who went on to become household names (well, in my household, anyway), and yet at the time, they were so unknown, the panel didn't have to be blindfolded! 

As much as I regret the once-a-week status of WML?, I have been enjoying these recent editions that are paired with some truly classic companion shows!

ymike673

[8]Dec 27, 2006
    • level: 11

Since Bennett was a sports fan I found it odd that he did not know Jacques Plante. Montreal played many games against the Rangers and Bennett did go to hockey games. Playing for the Canadiens Jacques would have been known by any NY hockey fan in 1956.

Edited on 12/27/2006 4:05pm