TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

Gil Fates' Log

Stan16mm

[1]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 5

As we approach the last episodes of this wonderful show, I wanted to take a moment to thank Suzanne Astorino for the most comprehensive notes to the WML series. It has been a joy and pleasure to look back on the episodes I've been viewing the past four years with the added excitement of reading what Gil Fates saved for posterity.

May I ask where Mr. Fates log resides? If it is in a library, can it be read by others.

Many thanks for your generousity in sharing these precious notes with us.

Edited on 02/20/2008 12:56am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

agent_0042

[2]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 66
    astorino has it. It resides with her. Fates does have a book he wrote, though, that is frequently referenced around here.
    Edited on 02/19/2008 4:00pm

Stan16mm

[3]Feb 19, 2008

agent_0042 wrote:
    astorino has it. It resides with her. Fates does have a book he wrote, though, that is frequently referenced around here.

It has been read and re read by myself; I treasure it.

Thanks

astorino

[4]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 62
    Hi Stan, thanks for the kind words. This database has been a lot of work, but it's also been fun and educational at the same time. I must thank the many people who have been regular contributors over the years: Sargebri, W-B, agent_0042, Garrison Skunk, fiveninegal -- and many others who have contributed occasionally. They have added many interesting background stories to the episode guides.

Stan16mm

[5]Feb 20, 2008
    I'm indebted to you for all the priceless information. My film archive activities include the preservation of both motion pictures and television shows. I have included several entries pertaining to other television shows on this website but I enjoy this forum the most.

If I may ask, how did the log of Gil Fates come into your possession? I am fortunate to have a wonderful collection of rare artifacts (personal motion picture film prints from Chaplin, Stan Laurel, Charles Laughton, a former President of NBC) as well as paper collections from celebrities like Billy Gilbert) so I'm naturally curious about your wonderful item.

astorino

[6]Mar 1, 2008

Thanks again, Stan, for all the nice things you've said. The logs were mailed to me (unsolicited and out of the blue -- except that he asked me for my address) by a generous friend of Gil Fates. As you can imagine, they have proved indispensable in constructing this database -- especially knowing the dates of the 25 preempted episodes. Before I had that data, many of the episode dates were off-kilter.

As for the names of the contestants, home towns, tidbits, etc., those items were obtained by me personally, in the process of watching the shows on GSN, taking notes, and entering the notes into TV Tome which eventually became TV.com. It's been a long (but fun -- and ongoing) process.

Suzanne

cattaur

[7]Mar 16, 2008
    • level: 10
    I was wondering, does Mr. Fates' log make any mention of the little clips before the scrolling credits at the beginning of the (current) early episodes? (I am currently watching Episode 3, where it was a guy listening to a jukebox.) Like who they were, what their line was? Thanks!

astorino

[8]Mar 16, 2008
    No, there is no mention of the clips. By today's standards, the logs are primitive.