What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

GSN Charlton Heston tribute this Sunday

ymike673

[1]Apr 10, 2008
    • level: 11
    GSN will prempt this Sunday mornings WML episode to air a WML episode from 1956 in which Charleon Heston was the mystery guest as a tribute to Heston who recently passed away.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

stopettearoma

[2]Apr 10, 2008
    • level: 3

ymike673 wrote:
    GSN will prempt this Sunday mornings WML episode to air a WML episode from 1956 in which Charleon Heston was the mystery guest as a tribute to Heston who recently passed away.

When Dorothy Kilgallen is blindfolded, she asks Heston if she can rule out that he is Elvis. She pronounces it in such a way as to ridicule southerners. Ahhlvis. She omits the last name Presley.

agent_0042

[3]Apr 10, 2008
    • level: 66
    Appreciate the heads-up, ymike. Is the tribute just the WML episode, or will they be airing something with Heston in the following slot as well?

W-B

[4]Apr 11, 2008
    • level: 39

agent_0042 wrote:
    Appreciate the heads-up, ymike. Is the tribute just the WML episode, or will they be airing something with Heston in the following slot as well?

The only other game show Mr. Heston was involved in, according to IMDb, was The $64,000 Question, on which he was a sub-host. Alas, this would fall outside of GSN's jurisdiction.

agent_0042

[5]Apr 12, 2008
    Alas. One gets the impression there might be a market for a competing game show station if somebody were willing to do what it took to secure the rights for shows such as that and Name That Tune, Scrabble, etc. etc. What's the name of it -- the "Reg Bundy" library, right?

CerfBoard

[6]Apr 12, 2008
    • level: 1

In the notes section for this episode, on this site, GSN skipped the 1956 Heston WML back in 2005 for a Frank Gorshin tribute (I seem to recall GSN ran an I've Got a Secret show and a Password(?) show for that tribute).

Anyone know if GSN will skip a WML this time for the Heston tribute or will they just run that show (4/26/53--Ida Cantor) the next night?

Edited on 04/12/2008 5:12pm

agent_0042

[7]Apr 13, 2008
    Generally, you never can know until that night's episode airs. I'd say it's odds-on. We'll know soon.

silverscreen789

[8]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 2

I've read before that Dorothy made an insulting remark regarding some country western singers, among them was Patsy Cline, calling them hillbillies. Hopefully, it was just disdain for the music rather than a personal insult directed at those performers. In her defense however, there was so much ugliness that went on in the south during her years, it's no wonder that there was some 'looking down' on what they termed 'hillbillies'. I think, because of this fact, southerners continue to have this legacy.

SilverScreen (Born and raised in the South)

stopettearoma

[9]Apr 13, 2008
    silverscreen789 wrote:

I've read before that Dorothy made an insulting remark regarding some country western singers, among them was Patsy Cline, calling them hillbillies. Hopefully, it was just disdain for the music rather than a personal insult directed at those performers. In her defense however, there was so much ugliness that went on in the south during her years, it's no wonder that there was some 'looking down' on what they termed 'hillbillies'. I think, because of this fact, southerners continue to have this legacy.

SilverScreen (Born and raised in the South)

Kilgallen's Wikipedia article makes much of this Patsy Cline episode. In reality all Kilgallen did was suggest that country & western singers from Nashville (which as you know is considered the "mid south" not the "deep south") should not perform at Carnegie Hall, which belonged to classical musicians and musical comedy singers like Judy Garland. Rock & rollers of that period (1961 is when this happened) such as Brenda Lee and Chubby Checker could not perform there, either. Kilgallen just wrote a few words about it, and it was one of thousands of items she wrote about entertainment.

Southerners never knew about the comments Kilgallen and her father made about the truly scary stuff in the South of that era. Jimmy Kilgallen went to Mississippi in 1955 to cover the murder trial of the white men charged with killing Emmett Till. You could not read his articles in the South. Only the Hearst newspapers in New York, Chicago and a few other cities ran them.

In 1964, Kilgallen talked on a TV talk show hosted by David Susskind, seen in the New York area only, about the murders, also in Mississippi, of civil rights workers Goodman, Schwerner and Chaney. Are you familiar with these two historical events, silverscreen789 ?

silverscreen789

[10]Apr 13, 2008

Hi stopettearoma-

I'm fairly young, so anything I know about that era is based in what I've read, and I've read about that horrific crime you mentioned. I also meant to add in my post that this attitude is still in existence down here, but thank God strides have been made and attitudes have changed a great deal in the course of 50 years...still a long way to go though.

I feel as though I've veered off topic, and I'm not the only one from the South (LOL), but from my perspective Dorothy Kilgallen wasn't ridiculing Southerners by saying Elvis with a drawl, in fact I thought she was just being playful in the episode. And also, my bringing up the comment she made (hillbillies) was to point out that any animosity she might have felt towards the south is probably rooted in events that were transpiring during those times.

puzzlingpixie

[11]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 12
    I wish I had read this before I started watching last nights episode and wondering why on Earth they had skipped forward several years. I was worried that GSN decided to be stupid and just skip a few years, but I figured to come here before worrying too much about it. Thanks for the information. Meanwhile, I really hope they don't skip the next episode with Ida Cantor.

stopettearoma wrote:
    Southerners never knew about the comments Kilgallen and her father made about the truly scary stuff in the South of that era.

What did they say?

TVGord

[12]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 9
    CerfBoard wrote:

In the notes section for this episode, on this site, GSN skipped the 1956 Heston WML back in 2005 for a Frank Gorshin tribute (I seem to recall GSN ran an I've Got a Secret show and a Password(?) show for that tribute).

Anyone know if GSN will skip a WML this time for the Heston tribute or will they just run that show (4/26/53--Ida Cantor) the next night?

I believe the Ida Cantor show will be skipped. From what I havce observed, last-minute tributes such as this one for Charlton Heston) REPLACE the scheduled show. When they do a PLANNED tribute (such as the one for Carroll Spinney/Big Bird when he was inducted into the TV Hall Of Fame), the shows are moved ahead and NOT REPLACED. Therefore, the Ida Cantor episode probably will not air tonight. I hope I'm wrong, for the sake of those who haven't seen it. I remember it to be pretty funny.

stopettearoma

[13]Apr 13, 2008
    puzzlingpixie wrote:
    I wish I had read this before I started watching last nights episode and wondering why on Earth they had skipped forward several years. I was worried that GSN decided to be stupid and just skip a few years, but I figured to come here before worrying too much about it. Thanks for the information. Meanwhile, I really hope they don't skip the next episode with Ida Cantor.

stopettearoma wrote:
    Southerners never knew about the comments Kilgallen and her father made about the truly scary stuff in the South of that era.

What did they say?

In order to find what Jimmy Kilgallen said about the Emmett Till trial, I would have to get the New York Journal American on microfilm from 1955. I know that Jimmy, then 67 years old and able to see in only one eye, traveled from New York to Mississippi. I have seen a photo of him talking to one of the defense attorneys. It's in the archive of United Press International. When Jimmy appeared as a contestant on What's My Line? approximately a year later, John Daly told everyone how great Jimmy's track record in journalism was, but Daly didn't mention the Till trial. Maybe that was taboo for a live network game show. Rod Serling tried to get a script about the Till trial broadcast on Playhouse 90, but the sponsor forced him to change the characters from black to Jewish. That story has been published several times, and you can hear Serling himself tell the story in a 1959 interview with Mike Wallace that's available at the Paley Center for Media. If a serious network TV show could not delve into the Till controversy, then a fun game show probably could not do it, either.

Jimmy Kilgallen's daughter Dorothy's comments on the case of Goodman, Schwerner and Chaney are preserved on an audio CD. It was salvaged from the TV talk show Hot Line. You had to be in the New York area to watch it in 1964. Here's how it went down. David Susskind mentions that the burned remains of the three men's car had been discovered earlier that day. Then he, Dorothy and a famous civil rights worker from Yale University agree that the three men are probably dead by homicide. Dorothy then reminds everyone that just because the FBI catches a suspect or suspects does not mean the suspect(s) will get convicted. She notes that the person(s) could get acquitted by an all-white jury. Dorothy reminds people how important jury selection is in any trial. She witnessed it in many trials she covered as a reporter, including the historical case of the Scottsboro Boys.

What Dorothy Kilgallen suggests ended up being a reality for forty years. Some conspirators were convicted of violating the civil rights of Goodman, Schwerner and Chaney, and they all got out of prison within six years. They were all free by the mid 1970s. Not until the 21st Century did anyone get convicted of participating in the murders of Goodman, Schwerner and Chaney. The convict was Edgar Killen, the year was 2005 and the sentence was sixty years for manslaughter. Killen, who is alive today, frequently persuades his jailer to transfer him to a hospital for treatment of an injury or illness that turns out to be imaginary. Dorothy's reminder about an all-white jury is old news now, but people who oppose racism still must get used to the reality of a white jailer, a white prison doctor and an all-white hospital staff. When I visited Mississippi I noticed many doctors from India but zero African American doctors.

Edited on 04/13/2008 9:12pm
    Edited 2 total times.

puzzlingpixie

[15]Apr 13, 2008
    stopettearoma wrote:
    Jimmy Kilgallen's daughter Dorothy's comments on the case of Goodman, Schwerner and Chaney are preserved on an audio CD. It was salvaged from the TV talk show Hot Line.

Is it available on audio CD anywhere, or is there a place from which I might be able to get a hold of it? I would love to hear Dorothy discuss politics.

Ok, by my accounts, GSN skipped both episode #151 and #152! I thought that at worst they would just skip the episode with Ida Cantor, but it seems they've skipped the one after that too. Why on Earth did they do that? Does anyone have any suggestions? Will they show us those episodes, for example will we see the Ida Cantor one in the original slot of the Charlton Heston one, or do we have to wait until they cycle through again? I'll be so happy when all of the seasons are available on DVD to buy (legally that is).

Edited on 04/14/2008 12:10am

EricHalfabee

[16]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 1
    puzzlingpixie wrote:

Not only did they skip ep #151, they also skipped #152!

I'm attempting to record all the shows, but I have a feeling they won't make it through the entire run again.

ymike673

[17]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 11
    I checked the WML schedule at tvgameshows.net and episode 152 was not listed to be aired. Harold Lloyd was the mystery guest on that show. My guess is the Harold Lloyd trust found out about this show and told GSN not to air this episode. The trust is very strict about alowing anything with Harold Lloyd in it being aired without some sort of payment to the trust.

agent_0042

[18]Apr 14, 2008
    Well, that's stinky as all get out! Boo to Harold Lloyd.

puzzlingpixie

[19]Apr 14, 2008
    ymike673 wrote:
    I checked the WML schedule at tvgameshows.net and episode 152 was not listed to be aired. Harold Lloyd was the mystery guest on that show. My guess is the Harold Lloyd trust found out about this show and told GSN not to air this episode. The trust is very strict about alowing anything with Harold Lloyd in it being aired without some sort of payment to the trust.

Well that sucks. At least I know why though, thanks. *sigh* I guess the one thing about watching shows done in the 1950's is that you have to accept that there will just have to be episodes you can't see due to damaged or lost kinescopes or due to legal issues.

pfrakes

[20]Apr 14, 2008

Harold Lloyd was before my time so I don't know who he is. But I bet he is rolling over in his grave knowing that his "trust" would keep him from the public like this, if that indeed is why GSN skipped the episode.

What a shame.