What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

GSN Charlton Heston tribute this Sunday

stopettearoma

[21]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 3
    puzzlingpixie wrote:
    stopettearoma wrote:
    Jimmy Kilgallen's daughter Dorothy's comments on the case of Goodman, Schwerner and Chaney are preserved on an audio CD. It was salvaged from the TV talk show Hot Line.

Is it available on audio CD anywhere, or is there a place from which I might be able to get a hold of it? I would love to hear Dorothy discuss politics.

Send an e-mail to Mr. Larry Jordan, who is the editor and publisher of Midwest Today magazine. To prepare for the Kilgallen article that he and his daughter Sara put on the magazine's web site

www.midtod.com

in 2007, they paid hundreds of dollars for the audio of six Hot Line broadcasts that were preserved on audiotape by "Archival Television Audio, Inc." located on Long Island, New York. You don't have to pay so much money. Instead of contacting the people on Long Island, e-mail Mr. Jordan here

lnjordan@mac.com

and ask him specifically about the CD of the audio of Hot Line. He probably will ask you for a blank CD and stamped return envelope in exchange for him burning a copy. Mr. Jordan can give you his address, which is in Iowa.

Luckily, the first broadcast on the CD was the one in which they discuss Goodman, Schwerner and Chaney. It was the premiere telecast of Hot Line. The date it aired on a ten-second delay (New York area only) was June 23, 1964. If you check any online source or book about Goodman, Schwerner and Chaney, you will see that that was indeed the date on which the three young men's burned car was discovered, but they were not in it. David Susskind can be heard saying that the latest news is the discovery of the burned car earlier that day. The three dead bodies were not found (officially) until several days later. Hot Line took a vacation for three-and-a-half months, and when it returned people (Kilgallen included) were more interested in talking about the presidential race between Lyndon Johnson and Barry Goldwater.

If you are getting excited hearing about Archival Television Audio, Inc., I hate to tell you that it does not have any missing episodes of What's My Line?. All it has is the audio of episodes we can see on GSN or at the Paley Center for Media.

Edited on 04/14/2008 3:27pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CerfBoard

[22]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 1

The notes section of the Harold Lloyd show make it sound as if GSN ran it the last time through the rotation (2004?). Of course, Lloyd's Trust may have found out about it being run after it had happened and asked to be paid for future airings.

Edited on 04/14/2008 3:46pm

jimarnone

[23]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 4
    CerfBoard wrote:

The notes section of the Harold Lloyd show make it sound as if GSN ran it the last time through the rotation (2004?). Of course, Lloyd's Trust may have found out about it being run after it had happened and asked to be paid for future airings.

GSN aired WML? Episode #152 with mystery guest Harold Lloyd on November 22, 2004. One can only hope it was skipped this time around accidently, as unlikely as that might be.

ymike673

[24]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 11
    pfrakes wrote:

Harold Lloyd was before my time so I don't know who he is. But I bet he is rolling over in his grave knowing that his "trust" would keep him from the public like this, if that indeed is why GSN skipped the episode.

What a shame.

Actually unlike Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd kept most of his great silent films out of circulation in his later years for the same reasons that his Trust does today and that's why today he is not as well known as Chaplin or Keaton.

TVGord

[25]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 9

I have Harold Lloyd's appearance on tape, so it did air the last go-around.

ymike673

[26]Apr 15, 2008
    TVGord wrote:

I have Harold Lloyd's appearance on tape, so it did air the last go-around.

As have I. I would guess given the time GSN airs WML its very possible the Trust did not know about it until sometime after the shows' last airing several years ago.

astorino

[27]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 62

ymike673 wrote:
    I checked the WML schedule at tvgameshows.net and episode 152 was not listed to be aired. Harold Lloyd was the mystery guest on that show. My guess is the Harold Lloyd trust found out about this show and told GSN not to air this episode. The trust is very strict about alowing anything with Harold Lloyd in it being aired without some sort of payment to the trust.

That theory makes no sense to me. When Harold Lloyd was on the original WML, he signed a contract giving CBS the rights to air the show. Fremantle bought all of the shows, and thus, those rights. GSN then leases the rights from Fremantle.

Maybe it was just a GSN foul-up?

The Harold Lloyd episode aired in both 2002 and 2004.

ymike673

[28]Apr 15, 2008
    astorino wrote:

ymike673 wrote:
    I checked the WML schedule at tvgameshows.net and episode 152 was not listed to be aired. Harold Lloyd was the mystery guest on that show. My guess is the Harold Lloyd trust found out about this show and told GSN not to air this episode. The trust is very strict about alowing anything with Harold Lloyd in it being aired without some sort of payment to the trust.

That theory makes no sense to me. When Harold Lloyd was on the original WML, he signed a contract giving CBS the rights to air the show. Fremantle bought all of the shows, and thus, those rights. GSN then leases the rights from Fremantle.

Maybe it was just a GSN foul-up?

The Harold Lloyd episode aired in both 2002 and 2004.

But WML was a "live" show. Lloyd's contract could have been for that one appearance. I've read that when Mark Goodson was putting together the "WML at 25" special he wanted to use a clip from Charlton Heston's MG appeareance. He asked Heston for permission to use the clip and he refused to alow it so the clip was not used. Years later when GSN started airing WML Heston relented and alowed GSN to air his episode. So if Heston could refuse permission to air his episode why couldn't the Harold Lloyd Trust do the same thing? Anyway maybe someone could call GSN and try to get their reason for skipping episode #152.

pfrakes

[29]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 2
    ymike673 wrote:

Actually unlike Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd kept most of his great silent films out of circulation in his later years for the same reasons that his Trust does today and that's why today he is not as well known as Chaplin or Keaton.

And what reason was that? Was he not proud of his film work or something?

ymike673

[30]Apr 15, 2008
    pfrakes wrote:
    ymike673 wrote:

And what reason was that? Was he not proud of his film work or something?

Simply put he wanted rights fees for any of his films before he would alow them to be shown. In most cases the fees were more than distributors wanted to pay. Unlike Buster Keaton he owned the rights to virtually all his films.

W-B

[31]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 39
    ymike673 wrote:
    I've read that when Mark Goodson was putting together the "WML at 25" special he wanted to use a clip from Charlton Heston's MG appeareance. He asked Heston for permission to use the clip and he refused to alow it so the clip was not used. Years later when GSN started airing WML Heston relented and alowed GSN to air his episode. So if Heston could refuse permission to air his episode why couldn't the Harold Lloyd Trust do the same thing? Anyway maybe someone could call GSN and try to get their reason for skipping episode #152.

Are you sure this was Mr. Heston? I seem to recall it was Kirk Douglas who refused permission to show his 1960 mystery guest spot on that WML? At 25 special.
    Edited on 04/15/2008 2:47pm

agent_0042

[32]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 66
    astorino -- do you think we should mention something about this controversy in the guide? I was about to add it, but then I saw your comment here.

I think the most interesting and perhaps revealing thing is the fact that this episode was apparently not listed in the schedule, which would tend to suggest that something was up and this wasn't just some random GSN skip.
    Edited on 04/15/2008 4:11pm

puzzlingpixie

[33]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 12

Thanks so much for the speedy and informative response.

Edited on 04/17/2008 11:25pm

astorino

[34]Apr 18, 2008
    • level: 62

agent_0042 wrote:
    astorino -- do you think we should mention something about this controversy in the guide?

No, agent_0042, I don't think it's necessary to mention it in the guide other than to say it was skipped.

Using the clips for WML@25 was for a different project, so that is why the producers needed new approvals.

But, the original WML had its original 1953 rights and those are probably still intact.

As we know, FremantleMedia owns the rights to air the shows. GSN leases the rights from FremantleMedia..

There is no way that Fremantle got renewed rights from the almost 1000 mystery guests. It's not even logical to think that they did.

It's just a "pathetic first" that GSN skipped two episodes. Let's hope it was both a "first" and a "last."

Suzanne