What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

GSN JAMES BROWN & GERALD FORD TRIBUTES

ymike673

[1]Dec 28, 2006
    • level: 11
    GSN will preempt this Monday's (Jan. 1, 2007) airing of WML to present tributes to James Brown & Gerald Ford who both passed away this week. Aired will be the two separate syndicated color episodes where they appeared as Mystery Guests. Hopefully, GSN will not skip the scheduled WML episode of Streisand's second WML appearance.
    Edited on 01/03/2007 9:53pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

agent_0042

[2]Dec 28, 2006
    • level: 66
    I like the sound of the tribute, but I agree, I really hope they don't do any skipping.

pfrakes

[3]Dec 30, 2006
    • level: 2

I'm not holding by breath. Their record for not skipping episodes during single tribute events is pretty dismal.

I was hoping the days of preempting WML for tributes were over.

I suggest that if they skip the episode we send a flood of complaints (for all the good it will do). On the other hand, if they do not skip the episode, we should flood them with compliments, thanking them for recognizing how important it is to not skip episodes during this period of one-episode-per-week WML's.

-Phil

TVGord

[4]Dec 30, 2006
    • level: 9
    I expect they WILL skip. They usually don't skip if it's a planned pre-emption, such as a holiday-theme or something like that. These unplanned tributes usually result in the episode being skipped. Alas.

I am, however, looking forward to seeing the first one, though! I've never seen Bennett Cerf in color before! :-)

stopettearoma

[5]Jan 1, 2007
    • level: 3
    As long as 99 percent of 2,000 - plus mystery guests remain elderly, without getting younger, than GSN must interrupt the rerun cycle frequently.  If two mystery guests expire within a week, and one wasn't a white man, then GSN better revive the female or the person of color -- or else !!

Beware a repeat of what happened within a short time in 1977:  Elvis and Groucho Marx died the same week, and Zero Mostel expired suddenly three weeks later.

Arlene, John, Bennett and Dorothy have all been gone for a long time.  Even Arlene's passing was almost six years ago.  The American media uses a grieving process in which obituaries take precedence over memories from long ago.  If you run a TV channel supported by advertising dollars, then you're gonna go along with that.  We must interrupt the four regulars for breaking news.
    Edited on 01/02/2007 11:57pm

agent_0042

[6]Jan 1, 2007
    What an interesting couple of syndicated episodes! Never mind Gerald Ford and James Brown. We got to meet, for the first time (I think), the man who made the panel's blindfolds. We got some references to John Charles Daly (does anyone know why it was that he didn't host the syndicated show? If it was in the book, pardon me, but I forgot.) And we got to see both Bennett and Arlene.

ymike673

[7]Jan 1, 2007

I am not expecting any "miracles" either. But since WML is only being aired once a week, isn't that enough time for GSN to not skip an episode that might never be aired again? Anyway -- why couldn't GSN have just aired the tribute episodes over two week at 3:30?  It's bad enough that GSN seems intent on crunching the credits at 3:00 AM, can't they just once think of the loyal WML fans who have been hosed since last Sept!?

Edited on 01/03/2007 12:00am

agent_0042

[8]Jan 1, 2007
    Oh yeah, that's terrible! I can't believe they've started crushing the credits --- they never used to do that!

ClassicTV

[9]Jan 1, 2007

agent_0042 wrote:
    We got some references to John Charles Daly (does anyone know why it was that he didn't host the syndicated show? If it was in the book, pardon me, but I forgot.)

In part, it was because he took a job in Washington, DC, with the government agency, the Voice of America. But I remember from the book that Larry Blyden, the last emcee of "WML?", at one point commuted from Bermuda or some far-away place, and only had to come to the New York City-based studio for the tapings once every week or two. Maybe the producers could have accommodated John's new work schedule, but they were also taking the new series in a slightly different direction to appeal to the advertiser-coveted under-40 audience.  CBS had cancelled the show partly because it skewed old.  To ensure success in syndication, Gil Fates made some changes. 

The book mentioned that, whenever the producers of the network version wanted to try something new or different, like having demonstrations, John would say, "Get someone else [to host the show], kiddo." So I don't think that he would have been interested in emceeing the new version, in which Gil Fates wanted to include the demonstrations that were a part of "I've Got A Secret".  A TV critic or author of a TV program history book labelled the syndicated version as "slapstick" and fast-paced compared to the more formal and dignified CBS version.  John's personality meshed more with the elegance and class of the nighttime show.  He was also accustomed to doing one half-hour show a week, and hosting five in a row in one day would have been a major change to what he'd been doing for seventeen years.  

I think that the book noted that John picked up about $2,000 for that half-hour's worth of work hosting the show on Sunday nights. Generally speaking, network shows paid more than syndicated ones. I don't think that the producers even asked him to do the new version, but perhaps the remuneration would have been a "come down" from what he had been receiving.

stopettearoma

[10]Jan 1, 2007
    • level: 3

Gerald Ford's funeral is getting a lot of coverage on CNN and Fox News Channel.  So is James Brown's funeral.  Therefore, GSN officials would be pretty stupid to repeat one man's episode but skip the other's. Wait a week and the funerals fade a little.  If GSN withheld Brown's episode for a week, it would lose many potential African American viewers. 

GSN is supported by advertising dollars.  Advertisers want potential viewers to get hooked when they see familiar faces while they (viewers) are channel surfing.  Last night, Gerald Ford's face and James Brown's face were both very familiar to all channel surfers.  If you're angry because GSN interrupted the chronology of Arlene, Bennett, etc., then the only people you could get angry at are Gerald Ford and James Brown, but you can't. 

You should be glad GSN didn't exist in 1990.  Two What's My Line guests died on the same day:  Sammy Davis Jr. and Jim Henson.  That would have disrupted a lot of reruns.  The only place in the media where you heard about the coincidence of their deaths was the open-phone segment of Larry King's nationwide AM radio show.  King terminated the radio show in 1994, and tv.com has since made his type of radio show obsolete.

Edited on 01/03/2007 12:03am

ymike673

[11]Jan 2, 2007

If GSN "cared" so much about these tributes, they would have aired in the afternoon when the most viewers could see them. Also, the 100th rerun of TAR (The Amazing Race) could have been preempted. If TV Land does a tribute to someone who passes away, it's aired where the most people can see it. Only GSN continues to air tributes at a time when the least people will see them. Was Johnny Carson more important than Ford or Brown? When he passed away, GSN aired his tribute on a Saturday afternoon. The same thing should have been done for James Brown & Gerald Ford!

Edited on 01/03/2007 12:04am

astorino

[12]Jan 3, 2007
    • level: 62

agent_0042 wrote:
     We got to meet, for the first time (I think), the man who made the panel's blindfolds. 

Actually, it wasn't the first time for this.  On EPISODE #279 of October 9, 1955, we met the man who made the masks at that time -- Edward Hemphill of San Francisco, CA.

I have not yet watched the Ford and Brown tribute shows, but I did record them.

I hope everybody had a nice New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.

ymike673

[13]Jan 3, 2007
    It was great to see Bennett in color but unfortunatly Arlene was not on the panel. Anyone know if Arlene and Bennett ever appeared together on the panel of the syndicated WML?

agent_0042

[14]Jan 3, 2007
    I would be interested to know if that were the case too. And yeah, it was fun seeing Bennett in color, though I think I may have seen him on the syndicated show once before.

Anyway, nice thoughts on why John Daly didn't return for the syndicated show. I recall some of that from the book now, and yeah, I agree, Daly definitely wouldn't have been interested in the demonstrations and all that.

The syndicated version is definitely different, but there are certain elements of it that have their own charm all the same.

Oh --- and agree about the 100th repeat of The Amazing Race. I like that show. I edit that show here on TV.com. But goodness, enough already. I wish GSN wouldn't air it in that slot anyway.

ymike673

[15]Jan 3, 2007

Lets just hope GSN does the right thing (for a change) and does not skip the WML episode that would have aired Monday.  Would hate to think it wouldn't be aired again for 15 years!

Edited on 01/03/2007 9:54pm

agent_0042

[16]Jan 3, 2007
    Honestly, if this show is still getting the GSN once-weekly treatment in fifteen years, I'll cry. Or something.

ClassicTV

[17]Jan 3, 2007

ymike673 wrote:
    It was great to see Bennett in color but unfortunately Arlene was not on the panel. Anyone know if Arlene and Bennett ever appeared together on the panel of the syndicated WML?

There's a website

http://www.geocities.com/mcarroyo86/index.html

that has a link at the very bottom of the page:

The What's My Line? Episode Guide (1968-1975)

This link apparently no longer works, because clicking on it brings you to a site named Matchgame.org, which used to have information on Goodson/Todman shows, but now appears to be a domain squatter/advertisement page.  When I first came across this particular site a few years ago, I saved the pages about the syndicated version to my computer. I went into "My Documents" files today and was able to retrieve the season-by-season listing of the panelists and mystery guests for the years '68-'75. This list was in part compiled by someone who was watching the syndicated "WML?" when Game Show Network was airing it in 1999.

The list for all the years isn't complete, but I did find one week when Arlene and Bennett were both on the panel. All five shows were taped on March 4, 1971. It was week #117 of the show. Also on the panel were Soupy Sales and Anita Gillette. The mystery guests that week were Lassie, Burt Reynolds, Jack Gilford, and Louis Prima. Bennett would die about six months after this taping, in August, 1971, according to one of the contributors to this 'TV.com' forum. He mentioned in one of his posts that the November, 1971 death date given on the Internet Movie Database site for Bennett was in error.

Edited on 01/03/2007 9:57pm
    Edited 2 total times.

astorino

[18]Jan 3, 2007

ClassicTV wrote:
    The What's My Line? Episode Guide (1968-1975) ... link apparently no longer works, because clicking on it brings you to a site named Matchgame.org, which used to have information on Goodson/Todman shows, but now appears to be a domain squatter/advertisement page. 

When the "WayBackMachine" is up and running, archived copies of the partial and incomplete syndicated guide can be found there:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.matchgame.org/

WML partial guide:

http://web.archive.org/web/20051225030132/www.matchgame.org/episodeguides/wml/

or, go to:

http://www.archive.org/index.php

and in the search box, enter:

http://www.matchgame.org/

However, sometimes, the "WayBackMachine" site is down.

Edited on 01/05/2007 5:15pm
    Edited 2 total times.

astorino

[19]Jan 3, 2007

ClassicTV wrote:
     He mentioned in one of his posts that the November, 1971 death date given on the Internet Movie Database site for Bennett was in error.

IMDb shows Bennett's DOB as 27 August 1971, so the data must have been corrected.

W-B

[20]Jan 4, 2007
    • level: 39

It was very interesting to see it.  However, I noticed that the week of Phil Rizzuto's 1970 mystery guest appearance, plus the panel that appeared the week he was on, weren't accounted for.

Edited on 01/04/2007 10:42am