What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

GSN to show FIVE episodes of WML? on weekends?

BuzzDawg

[1]Oct 2, 2008
    • level: 4

Good news! (I think...and hope!)

I checked the "Future Recordings" feature on my DVR this morning, and it looks as though - at least for the upcoming weekend - GSN is going to show FIVE episodes of WML?, with three episodes appearing in the early morning hours of Saturday, October 4th, and two episodes on Sunday, October 5th!

Does anyone know if this change is just for the upcoming weekend, or if this is now going to be a regular feature of their weekend lineup?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

W-B

[2]Oct 2, 2008
    • level: 39

I checked GSN's site, and apparently the WML? airings on the weekend will be scattered as follows:
    - Sat., Oct. 4 - 4 P.M. and 4:30 P.M.
    - Sun. (morning), Oct. 5 - 3 A.M. and 3:30 A.M.

Wonder if Paul Newman's death has something to do with this.

agent_0042

[3]Oct 2, 2008
    • level: 66
    Yeah, when I saw this thread, I thought maybe that could be the case. Quite possibly could be some sort of tribute.

BuzzDawg

[4]Oct 2, 2008
    That makes sense. Oh, well...guess I was just a victim of wishful thinking, to hope that we'd get more WML? every weekend!

astorino

[5]Oct 3, 2008
    • level: 62

As posted at GSN by the forum moderator, Guide Angel:

(note the repetition of shows)

B&W Overnight Tribute to Paul Newman Sat. Oct. 4th

On Saturday, October 4th, 2008 GSN will air a tribute to Oscar-winning actor Paul Newman, who passed away on Friday at the age of 83.

The two episodes of What's My Line? will air on Saturday, October 4th at 4:00pm & 4:30pm ET, pre-empting Russian Roulette and Pyramid. Encore airings of these episodes will run later that same day during the B&W Overnights at 3:00am ET & 3:30am ET, pre-empting the previously scheduled shows.

Additionally, GSN Live will be running clips from game shows featuring Paul Newman throughout the day on Tuesday, September 30th.

Saturday, October 4th Paul Newman Tribute

4:00pm ET What's My Line? 1/25/59 SC00650-1
    4:30pm ET What's My Line? 11/8/59 SC01203-2

Saturday, October 4th Paul Newman Tribute (encore)

3:00am ET What's My Line? 1/25/59 SC00650-1
    3:30am ET What's My Line? 11/8/59 SC01203-2

Episode Descriptions

What's My Line? 1/25/59 - Host: John Daly. Celebrity Panelists: Bennett Cerf, Arlene Francis, Dorothy Kilgallen and David Niven, Jr. - Paul Newman appears as the Mystery Guest. Other guests include a person who is the target in a knife throwing act, and a woman who makes saddles.

What's My Line? 11/8/59 - Host: John Daly. Celebrity Panelists: Bennett Cerf, Arlene Francis, Dorothy Kilgallen and Art Linkletter. Paul Newman and wife Joanne Woodward are the Mystery Guests. Other guests include an inspector for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and a person who makes lollipops.

W-B

[6]Oct 3, 2008
    • level: 39
    And the biggest loser? Jo Stafford, who had been preempted previously in 2005 for a Star Wars tribute. This preemption is all the more unconscionable and tragic, considering that she herself had died in July at age 90.

jimarnone

[7]Oct 3, 2008
    It is obvious that GSN does not care about what the regular viewers want. They know we'll watch B&W Overnight programming no matter what they do. Where else can we see these programs?

If a Paul Newman tribute brings in enough viewers to bump them in the ratings, now THAT they care about.