What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

If GSN *DOES* Show "I've Got A Secret" Again . . .

W-B

[1]Oct 16, 2005
    • level: 39
    . . . they'll probably be confined to the last three years (1964-67) hosted by Steve Allen, by which time their days of being sponsored by a cigarette maker were over. (Like the episode with guest Louis Nye, sponsored by General Foods.)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

astorino

[2]Oct 16, 2005
    • level: 62
    Compared to the Garry Moore version, I found it lackluster. Also, it was not in color as GSN had promoted it. The same as WML, the color shows were obviously only saved on B&W kinescope. That's what we all half-expected, anyway.

W-B

[3]Oct 16, 2005
    Besides, CBS wasn't even airing in color in 1964 (which made me suspicious when they claimed "1964, color"). But given GSN's attitude towards cigarette ads on old game shows, what other conclusion would I come to?

ymike673

[4]Oct 16, 2005
    • level: 11
    There are 2 TTTT shows from its last season that still exist in color but I doudt if GSN will ever show them.

The1Factotum1i1

[5]Oct 17, 2005
    • level: 13
    They never got to the color TTTTs when they did the whole run, and the reason must be because if they were color, they couldn't fit into the "Black & White Overnight" category! If you will recall, since the weekly versions only exist in KS, that they were first broadcast in color means nothing. But the lot of daytime ones were all on VT, (save one), and VT records whatever is sent out.You can't make a B&W only VT. They would've had to be in color. But we never got to finish the series because GSN is stupid. What can you do with one or two color episodes? Toss them in the bin with the syndicated ones, I guess.

satmfs

[6]Oct 19, 2005
    • level: 1
    W-B wrote:
    But given GSN's attitude towards cigarette ads on old game shows, what other conclusion would I come to?

I find it amusing that GSN won't air shows with cigarette ads but you can watch Richard Dawson and Charles Nelson Reilly smoking. Ok to smoke, not ok to sell I guess.

ymike673

[7]Oct 19, 2005
    During the current film about Edward R Murrow (Good Night & Good Luck) an entire commercial for "Kent" cigarettes is played. Did not seem to entice anyone to leave the theatre to buy one,LOL.

dad1153

[8]Oct 19, 2005
    ymike673 wrote:
    During the current film about Edward R Murrow (Good Night & Good Luck) an entire commercial for "Kent" cigarettes is played. Did not seem to entice anyone to leave the theatre to buy one,LOL.

It didn't entice anyone to smoke because director George Clooney wisely contrasted the TV commercial with a shot of Edward R. Murrow smoking while it was playing, a not-too-subtle hint to the audience that Murrow died of the very thing his TV show/network peddled to the masses.

ymike673

[9]Oct 20, 2005
    Since Murrow smokes during the entire film (As he did in real life), I doudt if Clooney was trying to make that point. I wonder how many people today even know what Murrow died from. It's not even mentioned at the end of the film.

The1Factotum1i1

[10]Oct 21, 2005
    I always considered it pretty common knowledge that Murrow smoked himself to death.In fact, it was covered for a while in a Heart association psa campaign which brought up the irony of the fact that one of his sponsors through the years was the American Tobbacco Company. In a 1952 SEE IT NOW, he had even done a program on investigating the idea that smoking could possibly be harmful.
    Make no mistake, the idea that a cig ad could be seen, especially juxtaposed with the Murrow character puffing away, is not there pointlessly.

Steverino

[11]Oct 21, 2005
    The1Factotum1i1 wrote:
    I always considered it pretty common knowledge that Murrow smoked himself to death.In fact, it was covered for a while in a Heart association psa campaign which brought up the irony of the fact that one of his sponsors through the years was the American Tobbacco Company. In a 1952 SEE IT NOW, he had even done a program on investigating the idea that smoking could possibly be harmful.
    Make no mistake, the idea that a cig ad could be seen, especially juxtaposed with the Murrow character puffing away, is not there pointlessly.

Should a filmmaker do a theatrical film on Lucy and Desi, they could juxtapose one of the couple's many Philip Morris commercials with a mid - shot of them smoking. They both died from it even though they lived many years longer than Murrow.

The1Factotum1i1

[12]Oct 21, 2005
    satmfs:
    There are of course uncountable hours of films and TV showing smokers in action. Popular entertainment must mirror actual, real life things some of the time. Smoking was so entrenched, every adult did it everywhere without thinking. I can recall arriving at my office, getting out of the elevator, and already there was a bluish haze gathered around the ceiling from all the smoking by the staff. Danger sign? Nah...nobody thought twice about it. Just part of the day to day background of life.
    If the goody-do-gooder hippies get all their dreams to come true, they'll computer-remove all vestiges of the evil weed from old film, or the entire films themselves. What a wonderful future we'll have!

Steverino

[13]Oct 21, 2005
    The1Factotum1i1 wrote:
    satmfs:
    There are of course uncountable hours of films and TV showing smokers in action. Popular entertainment must mirror actual, real life things some of the time. Smoking was so entrenched, every adult did it everywhere without thinking. I can recall arriving at my office, getting out of the elevator, and already there was a bluish haze gathered around the ceiling from all the smoking by the staff. Danger sign? Nah...nobody thought twice about it. Just part of the day to day background of life.
    If the goody-do-gooder hippies get all their dreams to come true, they'll computer-remove all vestiges of the evil weed from old film, or the entire films themselves. What a wonderful future we'll have!

Say what? If hippies exist today, they're not likely to be "goody-do-gooder." ?!?* If they have the power to sell DVDs of Reefer Madness, then they're nostalgia buffs, not hippies. If you're talking classic rock lyrics, removing all references to "rainy day women" etcetera would force the cities of Austin, Los Angeles and New York into bankruptcy.

ClassicTV

[14]Oct 22, 2005
    • level: 2
    *VCR/DVR ALERT*
    See the "I've Got A Secret" panel and set IN COLOR briefly in a 1959 theatrical motion picture on Monday, October 24th on TCM (Turner Classic Movies). The movie, "It Happened To Jane", will air from noon to 2PM Eastern Time. It starred Doris Day, Jack Lemmon, and Ernie Kovacs, who partially shaved his head to resemble Orson Welles in "Citizen Kane".

Gene Rayburn has an uncredited cameo as an on-location reporter for WTIC-Channel 3, a station that actually existed in Hartford, Connecticut. (The storyline takes place mostly in Maine.)

dad1153

[15]Oct 22, 2005
    Thanks a ton! I wanted to see that scene but didn't want to buy/rent the DVD just for that one. My TiVO is set!

W-B

[16]Oct 22, 2005
    ClassicTV wrote:
    Gene Rayburn has an uncredited cameo as an on-location reporter for WTIC-Channel 3, a station that actually existed in Hartford, Connecticut. (The storyline takes place mostly in Maine.)

Wasn't it about this time that that station in question (known today as WFSB) became a CBS affiliate?

ClassicTV

[17]Oct 24, 2005
    • level: 2
    W-B wrote:
    Wasn't it about this time that that station in question (known today as WFSB) became a CBS affiliate?

You are correct. At the end of one of the 1957 or 1958 "What's My Line?" shows, John Daly mentions that, although the show has been on the air since 1950, there are still stations that are just beginning to carry the program. He then welcomes WHCT-TV, Hartford, Connecticut, to the family of stations that are carrying the show. WHCT was Hartford's first CBS affiliate, owned-and-operated by the network.

It wasn't long after this that CBS founder William Paley decided to shut down WHCT and let independent WTIC become Hartford's CBS affiliate because the latter station was the city's only VHF station. As such, it had broader coverage than UHF WHCT. WTIC-TV and its sister radio stations, WTIC-AM & FM, were also run with extreme professionalism by the deep-pocketed Travelers Insurance Companies.

It's interesting that Columbia Pictures would use an actual television station rather than a fictional one in "It Happened To Jane," and one that wasn't even located in Maine, where the film is mostly set. While Gene Rayburn was playing the role of a TV reporter, the mobile WTIC production truck and the call letter design on the television cameras bear strong resemblance to those actually used by the station at that time.

At http://www.wticalumni.home.comcast.net/ one can click on "Museum" to access a webpage with four columns of links. In the fourth column, click on "1960-TV in the Field". The top right photo shows studio cameras that have the same type of logo - WTIC 3 TV - as the cameras in the movie. There was a photo of the station's 1960-era mobile production truck on this website at one time, and it looked nearly identical to the truck in the film.

Click back to the museum page, and in the 2nd column near the bottom click on "Mind Your Manners With Allen Ludden" to see how the future "Password" emcee looked circa 1948. He began his broadcasting career at WTIC Radio hosting a program aimed toward teenagers. The show was eventually picked up nationally by the NBC Radio Network.

The1Factotum1i1

[18]Oct 28, 2005
    It's too bad they gave such short shrift to the IGAS segment though. None of the panel got to say much at all. I think Betsy, though present, doesn't even say a word.
    Also- what a lousy misuse of Ernie Kovacs. Ernie was a fun guy who would take wild hit-or-miss chances to be funny- he wasn't a by-the-book joy killer obsessed with rules, money and lawyers! But here they use him as a clone for Fred Clark!

ymike673

[19]Oct 28, 2005
    Ernie was miss-cast in all his films for Columbia. Even when they tried him in a TV pilot it was a disaster.

W-B

[20]Nov 23, 2005
    ClassicTV wrote:
    *VCR/DVR ALERT*
    See the "I've Got A Secret" panel and set IN COLOR briefly in a 1959 theatrical motion picture on Monday, October 24th on TCM (Turner Classic Movies). The movie, "It Happened To Jane", will air from noon to 2PM Eastern Time. It starred Doris Day, Jack Lemmon, and Ernie Kovacs, who partially shaved his head to resemble Orson Welles in "Citizen Kane".

Seems that the sad part is, this is probably the only chance one could see the Garry Moore era in any form, given the attitude GSN has taken . . . and of course, since all IGAS episodes through its 1967 cancellation (those that are still around, anyway) are B&W kinescopes . . .