What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

If GSN *DOES* Show "I've Got A Secret" Again . . .

mehitable

[21]Nov 23, 2005
    • level: 3
    I've seen the movie twice since it was mentioned on this board. So, thanks!

It is also a chance to see Ernie playing older. Sigh.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ClassicTV

[22]Nov 27, 2005
    • level: 2
    You can hear two "I've Got A Secret" panelists in their other stints as Monitor Radio "communicators" by scrolling down the list of audio clips available at

http://www.monitorbeacon.com/sounddownloads.html

Henry Morgan was a Sunday afternoon Monitor host from the mid-1960s to the early 1970s, and you can listen to a four-minute montage of him hosting a "Monitor Christmas" in 1969.

Bill Cullen has a three-minute audio clip from hosting chores that he did at Monitor one Sunday afternoon in May 1971.

Scroll down to "OOPS! GENE RAYBURN #2" to hear a one-minute clip of him ad-libbing during a live comb commercial.

Monitor Radio originated from NBC Studios, 30 Rockefeller Center, New York City, the same building where Goodson/Todman Productions rented studios to videotape the last couple seasons of the syndicated "What's My Line?" and the syndicated '70s "To Tell The Truth".

W-B

[23]Nov 27, 2005
    • level: 39
    ClassicTV wrote:
    Monitor Radio originated from NBC Studios, 30 Rockefeller Center, New York City, the same building where Goodson/Todman Productions rented studios to videotape the last couple seasons of the syndicated "What's My Line?" and the syndicated '70s "To Tell The Truth".

And also where some G-T shows for NBC, most notably the 1962-1969 version of The Match Game (hosted by Mr. Rayburn) originated.

W-B

[24]Dec 15, 2005
    • level: 39
    ClassicTV wrote:
    At the end of one of the 1957 or 1958 "What's My Line?" shows, John Daly mentions that, although the show has been on the air since 1950, there are still stations that are just beginning to carry the program. He then welcomes WHCT-TV, Hartford, Connecticut, to the family of stations that are carrying the show. WHCT was Hartford's first CBS affiliate, owned-and-operated by the network.

It wasn't long after this that CBS founder William Paley decided to shut down WHCT and let independent WTIC become Hartford's CBS affiliate because the latter station was the city's only VHF station. As such, it had broader coverage than UHF WHCT. WTIC-TV and its sister radio stations, WTIC-AM & FM, were also run with extreme professionalism by the deep-pocketed Travelers Insurance Companies.

The demise of WHCT must've coincided with CBS's 1958 acquisition of Philadelphia station WCAU-TV/AM/FM - what with limitations on how many TV stations a single network could own in those days.

ClassicTV

[25]Dec 15, 2005
    • level: 2
    W-B wrote:
    The demise of WHCT must've coincided with CBS's 1958 acquisition of Philadelphia station WCAU-TV/AM/FM ...

Good point, and Philadelphia would be more desirous as a much larger TV market than Hartford.

Some trivia about WHCT: It was revived by new owners after CBS sold the station and became the country's first experimental pay-TV station. The over-the-air signal was scrambled and decoded by a set-top box. The general manager of the station was "CBS Sunday Morning" host Charles Osgood, then in his 20s.

The experiment was ahead of its time in that most people believed that they should not have to pay for something that was free on the other area stations. Charles also mentioned in an interview that payment was by the honor system and many people weren't bothering to pay for the service.

The station was subsequently owned by the California televangelist Dr. Gene Scott, who at one point fired the entire Hartford crew while he was on the air at his Los Angeles studio.

After another change of ownership a couple years ago, the station became affiliated with Spanish-language network Univision. The WHCT call letters were finally retired, and the station is now known as WUVN, Channel 18.

astorino

[26]Jan 14, 2006
    • level: 62
    ClassicTV wrote:
    The WHCT call letters were finally retired, and the station is now known as WUVN, Channel 18.

More about WUVN's history at Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WUVN